1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Rye Pale AleTerrapin Rye Pale Ale

good

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.

(Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

I first rated this one about a year and a half ago long before I developed my taste for hops. (Which began about 6 months ago). Since I have now become nearly chemically dependant on hops, I figured I'd give this another go, and boy am I glad I did. This poured wonderfully! A beautiful slightly hazy golden orange with a lovely 2 and a half finger white head which really hung around for a while. Heavy, sticky lacing dresses the sides of the glass. The smell is powerfully citrusy hoppy. To the same style of Hercules DIPA, but not nearly as strong, of course. Smells absolutely delicious! The taste is hops almost all the way through. Citrusy as it washes over your tongue, then turning pine like. The only malt that shows up does so in the after taste. Not exactly what I would call balanced, but for what it is, it's delicious and I like it. Mouthfeel is great. appropriately carbonated for the style, and a good weight for what it is. As for drinkability, this is extremely sessionable. I could drink this all night!! Funny how our tastes change over time, eh?
Blessed Be
-SS

SilentSabre, Apr 05, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

12oz bottle contract brewed in Frederick, MD. Do they really brew any beer in Athens?

When I see rye on the label I expect some of that characteristic spiciness, but I get very little of that here. The smooth mouthfeel is there, though.

Aroma is citrus, flavor is a big blast of orange. I checked the label to get an idea of the hops they use in this beer, but no clues there. Fuggles maybe, but more likely centennial or columbus. If you like orange creamsicles. this is the beer for you.

Bitterness was a bit low for an American Pale Ale.

Overall I was not enticed to grab another bottle of this.

bubrewer, Apr 04, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz empties a cloudy orange with some chill haze and a lively bursting of carbonation throughout. the head isn't huge but it stays put, leaving little dotty circles where the foam once was. oily. malty candy-corn aroma with hints of honey. fresh, sweet hops serve to offset the raw, leathery grain smell of the rye. the first contact with the nose is met with hesitation, but further deep breaths allow the beer to fill out its complexity. this beer feels absolutely perfect in the mouth. at first, smooth. the carbonation is evident but at no point does this become a crisp, spritzy beer. as it goes past the tongue and down the throat, it sizzles and tickles.

tastewise, this beer begins with an orange blossom nectar flavor when introduced. the rye dryness opens up as the beer spreads, matching nicely the understated hop bitterness. slightly metallic in the finish.. but not enough to detriment the experience too much. definitely more of an ipa in its approach than pale ale, but very drinkable for a beer with such pointed ingredients.

overall, surprisingly tame when compared to other rye beers i've had, like hop rod and the rail mail from willimantic brewing. that's the east coast for ya, and it allows this to move closer towards a solid session beer.. not a 'split the bomber and done' vibe. nice, thanks.

goodbyeohio, Mar 25, 2006

Sampled on 3/23/06 from 12 ounce bottle poured into glass. Purchased mixed six pack at Southern Market in Myrtle Beach. Contract brewed at Frederick Maryland. Bright clear copper with medium head and carbonation. Nose is dry hoppy and grassy. Flavor is malty crisp and dry. Beautiful finish is also crisp. Medium length finish leaves you wanting more. Good Stuff.

jimbotrost, Mar 25, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer was tasted in a Terrapin Shaker Pint Glass from the bottle.

This beer pours a golden orange with a frothy white head that leaves a nice lace and nice film. The first aroma that hits your nose is the combination of grapefruity citrusy hops grainy rye. Again the flavor is quite hop forward as is the smell but it is balanced nicely with pale malts and spicy rye. The mouthfeel rather full for a pale ale and has a nice carbonation. Overall one of the best pale ales out there and one to definitely get again and again.

MSchae1017, Mar 13, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into an Imperial Pint glass. No date on the bottle. Dark hazy gold body with a mediocre white head that drops down to faint whisps of foam. Just spots of lace. Mild floral hops with some spicy rye in the nose. A light to medium body, some citrus/floral hops in the middle of my tongue. Also grainy malt on the finish. Smooth drinking and not very aggressive. Should be a good beer to go with a meal.

jlh8643, Mar 10, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy light orange color. There was not much head. The smell is citrus like. A very sweet smell. The taste is a bitter hoppy taste that is not too strong. The mouthfeel is relativly smooh. There is a bit of lasting bitterness. I could drink these again. Too bad I have to drive a hour each way up a mountain to get Terrapin. It has to go up the mountain to get to the store. So why not drop some off at the bottom of the mountain Skyland Distributing?

Enola, Mar 07, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz bottle via trade from hopdog. Thanks for the opportunity. Best before box on label is empty.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above the clear dark gold/light amber brew. Head lasts well, with plentiful foamy lacing. Aroma is rye with floral hops. Taste is smooth rye character upfront, with ample citris hoppiness coming on next, and a lingering bitter on the close. Mouthfeel and drinkability both great. Probably a nice session brew for the locals.

ppoitras, Feb 26, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Previously reviewed on-tap in Nov. Am now reviewing the bottled version.
A: Pours a cloudy copper color with a thin sticky head that recedes to a spotty lace.
S: Sweet, fruity, and floral. Reminds me of Trixx cereal.
T: Sugary sweet up-front, Citrus and floral hop bitterness, toasted and grainy, and a faint alcohol taste on the back-end.
M: Light to Medium bodied. Excpected more umph in the mouth given the taste.
D: Very drinkable session beer that I highly recommend!

wcudwight, Feb 19, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

I had the Terrapin Rye Pale Ale on-tap at Summits in Sandy Springs, GA.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper-yellow with a creamy, off-white head. The head slowly fades and there is some lacing. Carbonation is moderate.

Smell: The smell is a well balanced mix of floral and fruity hops and rye.

Taste: I've had this in the bottle and on tap several times and it seems to change a bit as time goes by. This time it was a bit hoppy but not over the top. The rye is smooth and clean and has a nice finish on the palette. It has a bit of tanginess but also not over the top - nice balance.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is smooth, slick, and has a slight bite.

Drinkability and Overall: This is an excellent pale ale. I'm quite impressed by this beer and if the mood struck me I could drink it all afternoon.

TheEclecticGent, Feb 16, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle.

Somewhat cloudy burnt orange color.. Eggshell-colored head that lasts a while, not leaving a lot for lacing. The aroma is mostly pepper & light hops, but can't pick up much rye. Taste is a smattering of fresh citrus hops resting on a dusty rye malt profile..really flavorful for a pale ale. I'm a sucker for hop-driven beers within their style, and for me, this fit the bill. A great offering from Terrapin, and a brew definitely worth trying.

Big thanks go out to timtheenchanta for the opportunity to try this one.

hero27, Feb 12, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange body with a thin, fizzy white head that disappeared in short order but shows a decent amount of carbonation.

Smell is grassy hops, just slightly floral, with some citric notes in there as well. Pretty hoppy.

Taste is quite enjoyable. The hops are firm and citric, with a solid lemon-grapefruit flavor and a spicy flavor on the back end that I'm assuming is the rye making its presence felt. The biscuity-malt flavors balance things out nicely. Mouthfeel is a tad thin.

Overall: A fine hoppy brew that's as drinkable as any I've come across.

whartontallboy, Feb 11, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

12 oz. bottle that has been saved from my last trip to Georgia.

Pours a thin white head that disipates quickly, leaving only a thin white rim around the edge of the glass. An up-front smell of hops is supported by a backbone of citrus notes, an aroma that always makes me eager to dive in.

The scent holds true, as the taste packs a bold hoppy punch. A balance of malt is present, but be ready for the hops to win out. There are some noticeable citrus flavors as well. A very drinkable mouthfeel, but not noteworhty. Finishes with a welcome bite to the back of the tounge and leaves a great hoppy flavor in your mouth throughout the beer.

I must say that I am biased towards Terrapin, and my review follows accordingly; the Rye Pale Ale is my sentimental favorite. A Great brewery, and this beer is one that I can drink all night enjoyably. I can't wait to go back to Georgia for more.

LittleWolf, Feb 01, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz. bottle, not dating.

Pours a cloudy gold, topped with a short head of small and medium bubbles, loosely packed that quickly reduces to a short collar leaving minimum lacing. The smell is distinctly of cascade hops, juicy and bold. The taste is boldly hopped up front, but balanced with a malt sweetness in the middle finishing hoppy and clean. There are other grainy sweet notes as well, perhaps this is the rye coming through a bit. Medium bodied, light on the tongue, but not think. Vibrant carbonation bounces across the mouth. Nice overall and drinkable as well.

The neck ring says that 5 different hop varieties are used, I’ll buy that.

hopsaplenty, Jan 31, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked up a six pack of this on a recent trip to South Carolina. The beer poured a Golden Orange color and was slightly cloudy. The head froathed up rich and thick but disappated very quickly.

A very unique nose. A citrusy and floral scent. A very hoppy beer with a strong Citrus taste.

A thin and watery beer, with a fair amount of carbonation and a very bitter finish.

DaggerEyes, Jan 15, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +25%

Contract Brewed by Frederick Brewing Co. - Frederick, MD.

Orange-ish in color with a low-moderate off-white head, lots of tiny suspended sediment, and decent carbonation. Citrusy grapefruit hop aroma dominates the nose. Nice balanced rye malt and citrusy hop flavors. Light-medium bodied with a crisp citrusy hop finish; not overly bitter; body is a bit light I guess but not detracting.

Very nice ! A must buy !

Per label: "5 varieties of hops" & "2002 GABF - Gold - American Pale Ale"

Per TBC website:
Malt: 2-row pale, Munich, Malted Rye, Bisuit Malt, Honey Malt.
Hops: Amarillo, Cascade, East Kent Goldings, Fuggle, Magnum.
IBU's: 45
O.G.: 13.5
ABV: 5.3%

'5250' lasered on bottom
Tasted: 01/07/06

RBorsato, Jan 10, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

got this in a trade with TheBeerCellar2. poured dark orange, with a white head, that left a little lacing. aroma, hops, citrus leaning towards the lemon side, fruity, some malts. flavor, hops, malts a touch of honey, citrus, a combination of lemon and orange. not to bad

walleye, Dec 31, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

appearance: The pour into my imperial pint creates a .5" white head. The beer is a deep straw golden color.

smell: Green, leafy hops and some floral, spicy fruit aroma. Gentle, yet obvious malt sweetness. The hops and fruit aromas are very nice.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body a heavy light.

taste: Nice balance of malt sweetness, hop flavor, and hop aroma. Tasty and complex considering the style. There is plenty hop bitterness to balance the sweet flavors provided by the grain.

drinkability: Very easy drinking, with the nice balance and good aromas and flavors

One of my roommates brought a sample of this beer back from Athens for me.

blackie, Dec 27, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

I had this one at Ted’s Montana Grill in Atlanta.

The beer was a nice bronze with a skimpy head and not much lacing.

The nose was of Citrus, some grains (rye) and a bit of grass.

The taste is nicely bitter with a definite citrus undertone. The beer has a nice solid feel to it, which may due to rye or may be due to something else, either way it is nice. Well balanced and enjoyable beer here.

The mouthfeel is great and this is very sessionable (I had four in one sitting). I really enjoyed this one and it went well with my buffalo steak.

Redrover, Dec 15, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck generic bottle, multicolored label

Appearance: hazy goden color, small off-white head, minor lacing

Smell: very hoppy, minor citrus and malt

Taste: light-to-medium body, crisp mouth feel, hoppy bitterness big way, but pleasant not harsh, citrus, sweetness, NO RYE, minor malt in background

Notes: good, not great

BeerBeing, Dec 03, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

OK, I am a little surprised with this one. I really expected something else before I poured it and was impressed somewhat with it. I thought it would be thin, and light, but I was wrong. It was not light when I poured it, it was more of a gold to ice tea color and the body was definately viscous as it climbed its way up the side of the goblet. The aroma was a real good blast of "C" hops and I love them. On further inspection I should note that the carbonation seems perfect even if it has to fight its way through a somewhat murky beer. For the record I prefer this unfiltered, very refreshing. Yum, a big hoppy pale ale. Tastes fresh like a sweet ass homebrew, there is even some slight astringency. A nice atr finish that makes me wish I had some more. Send me some more please!

edit - I scored this too low for its style! As far as Pale Ales go this one kicks ass.

Chadbrew, Nov 12, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Wow. I wasnt expecting this. One of the best beers I have had in a while. I really love rye bread. Now I think I love rye beer, based on this selection.

Pours a golden orange color with a small head. I would have like to get some more head development from the barkeep, but she gave me just enough to work with.Very tiny carbonation bubbles.

Terrific smell. Lots of hops and citrus and orange and hops and grass and freshly mown hay. Great complexity. Smells wonderful. Like Great Divides Fresh Hop ale or any DIPA I assume.

Taste is smooth and clean. Nice hop bitterness. Great balance with the malt and hops. Tastes of citrus and lemons as grass as well. Very summer-earthy.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel. Smooth on the palate as well. A wonderful beer that surprised the hell out of me.

SaCkErZ9, Nov 08, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of lostbearbrew and BIF 23:

Pours a clear orangey-amber color out of the bottle. Small foamstand. Palpable scent of tangy citrus, pine needles, and freshly mown grass. Nice and hoppy just the way I like it. Aggressive bitterness at first sip fades into crisp, clean finish of rye. Some catty, dank hop flavors reminiscent of Simcoe or Chinook. Good hop character melds with maltiness to strike a good balance. A nice session beer.

HopasaurusRex, Oct 26, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a light copper color wit ha light head that falls quickly to nothing at all. Good clarity too. Nose is what I expect from an APA. Lots of earthy hop with a moderate caramel base. I get a small bit of spicey rye in there, but not a lot. Flavor is nice. Peppery hop, slightly sweet citrusy hop with a very healthy backbone of caramel. No rye that I can taste. Feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. This is a tasty APA. Flavors are full on hop with a really nice balancing caramel. Good brew.

kmpitz2, Oct 26, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

I hadn't realized that this was a Rye Pale Ale when I drank it, I thought it was an IPA when I poured it and set my expectations accordingly. Interestingly, I thought it was a pretty good IPA but never detected any rye...

The pour is a hazy deep gold, cloudy with a pretty healthy white head. The foam hangs around a bit and clings to the glass nicely.

Smell is very inviting - restrained but distinct hops. I thought it was a bit light for an IPA but for a PA it's right on target. Hop notes are primarily pine and herb with a wee bit of citrus thrown into an interesting mix.

The taste was very nice. While I never noticed any rye (wonder if I would have if I was searching for them?) there's a really solid malt body here. Lots of biscuit dough and light toasted bread to give this beer a proper body. Hop notes, while reserved (as expected in a PA) are many and complex. Plenty of nice herbal notes, a little on the spicy side and a good mix of citrus peel and new mown grass. Plenty of complexity in this beer without that "everything but the kitchen sink" feel.

Mouthfeel is fine - medium bodied brew, ample carbonation, restrained bittering at the finish, nice clean palate. If the word hadn't been hijacked by Bud, Pepsi and 7Up, I'd call it "crisp"

Rye or no rye, this is a very drinkable brew. Low ABV, nice body, enough malt and hop notes to keep you interested... I could see this as a very good session beer and a good backyard BBQ brew. As I'm writing this I'm already wanting another, which I guess is good testimony to its drinkability.

Thanks to mntlover for this very tasty Pale Ale - now I have one more reason to visit Atlanta.

RedwoodGeorge, Sep 29, 2005