Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,714 | Reviews: 775
4.24/5  rDev +12.2%

OK, I am a little surprised with this one. I really expected something else before I poured it and was impressed somewhat with it. I thought it would be thin, and light, but I was wrong. It was not light when I poured it, it was more of a gold to ice tea color and the body was definately viscous as it climbed its way up the side of the goblet. The aroma was a real good blast of "C" hops and I love them. On further inspection I should note that the carbonation seems perfect even if it has to fight its way through a somewhat murky beer. For the record I prefer this unfiltered, very refreshing. Yum, a big hoppy pale ale. Tastes fresh like a sweet ass homebrew, there is even some slight astringency. A nice atr finish that makes me wish I had some more. Send me some more please!

edit - I scored this too low for its style! As far as Pale Ales go this one kicks ass.

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%

Wow. I wasnt expecting this. One of the best beers I have had in a while. I really love rye bread. Now I think I love rye beer, based on this selection.

Pours a golden orange color with a small head. I would have like to get some more head development from the barkeep, but she gave me just enough to work with.Very tiny carbonation bubbles.

Terrific smell. Lots of hops and citrus and orange and hops and grass and freshly mown hay. Great complexity. Smells wonderful. Like Great Divides Fresh Hop ale or any DIPA I assume.

Taste is smooth and clean. Nice hop bitterness. Great balance with the malt and hops. Tastes of citrus and lemons as grass as well. Very summer-earthy.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel. Smooth on the palate as well. A wonderful beer that surprised the hell out of me.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of lostbearbrew and BIF 23:

Pours a clear orangey-amber color out of the bottle. Small foamstand. Palpable scent of tangy citrus, pine needles, and freshly mown grass. Nice and hoppy just the way I like it. Aggressive bitterness at first sip fades into crisp, clean finish of rye. Some catty, dank hop flavors reminiscent of Simcoe or Chinook. Good hop character melds with maltiness to strike a good balance. A nice session beer.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a light copper color wit ha light head that falls quickly to nothing at all. Good clarity too. Nose is what I expect from an APA. Lots of earthy hop with a moderate caramel base. I get a small bit of spicey rye in there, but not a lot. Flavor is nice. Peppery hop, slightly sweet citrusy hop with a very healthy backbone of caramel. No rye that I can taste. Feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. This is a tasty APA. Flavors are full on hop with a really nice balancing caramel. Good brew.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

I hadn't realized that this was a Rye Pale Ale when I drank it, I thought it was an IPA when I poured it and set my expectations accordingly. Interestingly, I thought it was a pretty good IPA but never detected any rye...

The pour is a hazy deep gold, cloudy with a pretty healthy white head. The foam hangs around a bit and clings to the glass nicely.

Smell is very inviting - restrained but distinct hops. I thought it was a bit light for an IPA but for a PA it's right on target. Hop notes are primarily pine and herb with a wee bit of citrus thrown into an interesting mix.

The taste was very nice. While I never noticed any rye (wonder if I would have if I was searching for them?) there's a really solid malt body here. Lots of biscuit dough and light toasted bread to give this beer a proper body. Hop notes, while reserved (as expected in a PA) are many and complex. Plenty of nice herbal notes, a little on the spicy side and a good mix of citrus peel and new mown grass. Plenty of complexity in this beer without that "everything but the kitchen sink" feel.

Mouthfeel is fine - medium bodied brew, ample carbonation, restrained bittering at the finish, nice clean palate. If the word hadn't been hijacked by Bud, Pepsi and 7Up, I'd call it "crisp"

Rye or no rye, this is a very drinkable brew. Low ABV, nice body, enough malt and hop notes to keep you interested... I could see this as a very good session beer and a good backyard BBQ brew. As I'm writing this I'm already wanting another, which I guess is good testimony to its drinkability.

Thanks to mntlover for this very tasty Pale Ale - now I have one more reason to visit Atlanta.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Cute little hillbilly turtle on a brown bottle. Pours a light orange, not the best color for a rye but it's saved by a very nice head.

Smells like rye hops. Cactus flowers and grapefruit with a hint of sugary malt. Nice.

The rye base tastes a little like wheat and it moves quickly into floral hops. From there it takes a strange turn into a pale, lemony ice tea flavor. Strange. Not a very good finish.

I could drink this all night. Pity I only got one bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearence: Pours a clear light copper with a creamy, off-white head. Perfectly clear, little carbonation.

Smell: The smell is a well balanced mix of floral and fruity hops and rye, with a slightly sweet malt backbone.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is very nice. The rye is not the focus, but adds a wonderful flavor to the beer. The hops are strong, but not over-the-top. They're very tasteful and well used, balance out by a good malt flavor. The mouthfeel is smooth and slick.

Drinkability and Overall: An excellent pale ale, and an even better session beer. The rye was a very nice touch to this beer. I'm quite impressed and I wish this were available to me locally.

Thanks to rajendra82 for the bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to lostbearbrew for this addition on our last trade...one I have been wanting to try for some time.
Pours a semi-cloudy golden orange color w/ a half finger of bright white head...decent amount of lacing going on.
Aroma is enjoyable...a nice citrus scent w/ a semi-sweet background.
The taste is decent...less flavor than what was detected in the nose, but it becomes more flavorful as it warms.
Rye does not overtake the brew and it is fairly well balanced w/ the bitterness presenting itself in the finish.
A bit thin in the mouthfeel but the carbonation is where I enjoy it to be. Could be a session brew, but I'd prefer to reach for an alternative if given the chance.
A decent offering and I am very pleased to get the chance to try.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Big thanks go out to Ding for the chance to sample this one.

Appearance: Pours a clear honey golden color with a minimal head. Carbonation noted throughout the body and up the sides of the glass. The head disappears leaving wispy lacings and rings the glass.

Smell: A nice blend of sweet malt, fresh citrus and flowery hops, and a hint of peppery spices.

Taste: A wheaty base with some citrusy hop peaks here and there. Definitely a strong rye presence. A touch of lemon rind and that wheat base keeps creeping back into the game. Nicely balanced and blended.

Mouthfeel: Medium and slightly creamy with some good carbonation to balance it out.

Drinkability: Good. A touch on the thin side for me but very well balanced and very enjoyable. Recommended.

Had this at the Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock,NC with a jerk chicken pizza and it complimented it very well.Poured into a mason jar a light copper color with fluffy white head,aromas are quite hoppy heavy on the grapefruit and lemon rind with a touch of caramel underneath the hops.This beer is not heavy on the rye but its noticable on the palate just light sour note in the finish mainly the Pacific coast-type hop comes thru but a firm dry malt base keeps this quite balanced and quaffable.A pretty solid beer not over the top rye wise by any means and food friendly I wish I could get it here in Greensboro.

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%

07/30/05- Received via trade with Lostbearbrew.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a best before box, but nothing printed in it?!?!? Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Caramel colored pour, 1/2 inch head and light lacing.

Smell- Darker sweetend malt with a heavy dose of fruity hops. Spices?

Taste- Yes, there are spices in here. Seems like a tad of nutmeg? Heavy peach and grapefruit hops with a toasted malt flavor as well. Don't really notice much rye though.

Mouthfeel- Thicker and a bit creamy. Moderate to a higher carbonation level...chewy.

Drinkability- Damn, three good beers in one day! The beer gods are smiling upon me. A great rye beer.

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%

On draft at Dahlonega Brewing Company/Caruso's.

Pours a coppery orange with a frothy ivory head. Some fine lacing but not much. Aroma is citrusy hops and a grainy sweet maltiness.

Taste is quite hoppy, bitter citrus (grapefruit, orange peel) and a grainy maltiness. I would attribute the rye for the graininess. Nicely balanced and the hops linger a bit on the palate along with the grainy sweet malt. Drinkable for sure. Nice twist on the pale ale.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

I enjoyed this one on tap in Atlanta, over a year ago, and was quite impressed. Found a six pack in Asheville, NC, July 11, 2005, and regret not buying more.
Appearance: Pours a clear amber body with a small offwhite head that hangs around for several minutes before depositing some generous patches of lace all over my pint glass.
Aroma: Exceptional nose, with peppery rye grain, grapefruit, and pine sap hops, atop a solid caramel malt base. Fresh Mandarin orange accents add to an enticing bouquet.
Mouthfeel: Good carbonation atop a medium body, with a spicy rye grain bite on the tongue.
Taste: Full bodied flavors abound, with a surprising complexity. Peppered rye bread is prominent, and is complimented by an array of malt and hop notes. Pink grapefruit, orange, and a hint of sweet, fresh peaches blend exceedingly well with the rye and other malty and hop flavors. The fruity hops meld so well with the grainy rye. Finishes with an ideal rye grainy note that goes well with the fruity hops.
Drinkability: This is one of the better rye ales out there. Very well balanced, and very tasty. I could have this one as a daily session ale if I were an everyday drinker. I highly recommend this one!

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour sort of an orange-honey colour, and just slightly hazy.

The smell is of hops and...oddly....a bit of fresh tire rubber.

The first thing that hits me in the taste is the hops. Fortunately, it's not followed by tire rubber. :) A nice, slightly syrupy malt flavour creeps out of the hops, and the finish is just a bit spicy. I rather like the taste of this one.

The body on this one is just slightly thck (just about right for me), and carries a fizziness that builds, then falls away in a nice swell.

I find this one very drinkable (especially right now, at 6.10 in the morning, after I've worked an overnight hurricane shift). I can see making a session out of this one- even with the tire rubber smell.

Be well
-UF

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

Picked up a six at Scrooge's in Anderson, SC on my way back from Clemson. Pours a hazy, reddish orange with a thick, rocky off white head. Good lacing. Light citrusy aroma with a bready background. Taste is well balanced between the flavorful hops and the caramel malt. My first rye beer and definitely not my last. Outstanding! Thanks to bobbyc881 for helping me find it.

Bottle obtained from GCBrewingCO...thanks for the opportunity. Pours a half-finger light yellow head over a nearly clear light orange liquid. Smells grapefruity pith and oranges. Tastes apricot to start with a supporting wet sweet. This falls away sharply as sharp carbonation and a mild hop bitter step in. A moment of that and an aromatic hop floral slowly rises up the throat bringing orange and tangerine flavors. The apricot makes a reappearance and brings with it a bready malt. Md-light body, moderately carbonated, and decent lacing on the inside of the glass.

Clouded medium gold with a small white cap of firmly placed froth.
Fades out quickly to a thin skim and collar. Lace is big and blotchy stringed.

Aroma of is of a citric lime and orange combo, gracing some peach and tangerine. Pungently sweetened, crisp, and a mild rye, cracked wheat undertow.

Taste is mild but flavorful enough for a pale. Clean, tamely citric with slight smears of tangerine and peach. Fluffy wheat-like texture and smooth on the down side with a partial rye quality making a nice breadish tone. Hops have a light leafy addition to its character and rounds out into the finish with a spicy lime mint tea heat and bitterness.

Light to medium body with a quick texture of hop leafyness and mild on the tongue with a fun fluffyness. A bit empty at first but there's a small surge near the finish of citric bitterness helping to carry it through, but it tends to favor more of a light fluffed, bready-like malt for the overall. Thankfully, and modestly, the hops do add a nice twist to the body and flavor.

A decent enough pale ale. Quick and quaffable with a slight warming spicy heat. Very easy going stuff.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a hazy golden color iwth light orange tints a smaller white head falls fast and leaves a nice coat of lace on my glass.

Aroma is nice fruity mixture of apple, orange and pineapple on a lighly sweet and sour bready malt base.

Taste is good malty bread mixed with some rye that imparts small amounts of sour flavors that blend in perfectly. Fruity hops join the malt and leave a lingering pineapple mixed with some pine resin for a nice finish.

Mouthfeel is medium feels solid and light at the same time actually must be the rye adding some body.

Drinkability is great a nice touch adding some rye to a nice pale ale. Have enjoyed before but just got around to reviewing it, a nice brew.

4.07/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap @ Taco Mac - Decatur, GA

A- Bright copper hue, great clarity shines well ... thin but sticky lace.

S- Mild spicy tartness from the ale-like characteristics and rye malt.

T&M- Crisp and spicy up-front, layer of malt sweetness with a lingering hop bitterness. Rye character is mild yet prevalent throughout the palate.

What can I say ... balanced and very drinkable. A session rye ale for sure.

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%

This was one refreshing brew. If you like rye bread, then this beer is one for you. It was a nice cloudy golden color, with a frothy off white head. The head slowy died out into a laceing. The smell was a nice rye smell, mixed with some light fruits, and light malts. The big thing in the smell and taste was the presense of rye. It was my first rye beer, but definately won't be my last, as it has opened the doors to that area. It's also a very refreshing beer, one that could easily be enjoyed on a hot summer's day.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours out a nice copper-orange color with a moderate white head. Slightly cloudy when held to the light. Head dissapates quickly, but forms a thin lace around the glass.

Smells a bit sweet, slightly on the citrus side. Not really an impressive smell, but not bad.

Tastes wonderful, with a decent amount of hops. Nice malty flavor. Lingers slightly dry. Well balanced, in my opinion.

An extremely drinkable beer... this is one of the new regular beers in the fridge, and probably will be the first keg in the new kegerator.

3.63/5  rDev -4%

Someone else said honey colored and that is dead on. The head pours puffy and dies down quick style. No lacing whatsoever. The color is interesting, but otherwise very unimpressive.

Smell? Coulda fooled me. Faint passionfruit/pineapple scent with mild citrus in the nose. I was trying, swear i was.

Despite a mediocre lead-in, this is a decent tasting beer. A tad on the hoppy side with a balanced malt back. The rye isn't too noticable. The hops are juicy grapefruity and clean. Not bad at all.

Nothing special, but hits the spot on a hot day. Clean, drinkable, tasty. Thanks to rajendra82 for the bottle!

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%

Honey colored beer makes a valient attempt at head but just can't hang on for more than about ten seconds. Whats left of the head hangs on for dear life as lacing. Virtually odorless. Citrus notes add a tang to an otherwise slightly bitter pale ale. The rye, which isn't as pronounced as I was hoping sneaks out at the end makes itself known in the aftertaste. Don't let the numbers lie to you, its all about the taste with this beer, and if you like Pale Ale, its definately one you should taste.

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a clear brilliant copper color, minimal head or retention. Aroma is light, yet citrus hops. Flavor is well balanced, but leaning toward the hoppy side, which is nice. Mouthfeel is great, a touch on the thick side which is pleasant. Greatly drinkable. Now, if I could only find it around here....

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Big props to Gabe for bringing this growler to share!

This rye ale pours from the growler a clear, medium amber color supporting a fluffy white head that quickly fizzles out, leaving moderate lace.

The aroma is nicely balanced between caramel malts and lovely citrus and floral hops. I don't really pick up any pine notes as others have in their reviews.

The flavor is even better than the nose and brimming w/ juicey grapefruit and tangerine, jasmine-like floral notes, caramel, and is generously hoppy. This has session written all over it.

The body is on the light side of medium and could use a little bulking up. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean and the finish is long and hoppy.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin Beer Company