Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 765 | Hads: 1,739
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into an Imperial Pint glass. No date on the bottle. Dark hazy gold body with a mediocre white head that drops down to faint whisps of foam. Just spots of lace. Mild floral hops with some spicy rye in the nose. A light to medium body, some citrus/floral hops in the middle of my tongue. Also grainy malt on the finish. Smooth drinking and not very aggressive. Should be a good beer to go with a meal. (406 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy light orange color. There was not much head. The smell is citrus like. A very sweet smell. The taste is a bitter hoppy taste that is not too strong. The mouthfeel is relativly smooh. There is a bit of lasting bitterness. I could drink these again. Too bad I have to drive a hour each way up a mountain to get Terrapin. It has to go up the mountain to get to the store. So why not drop some off at the bottom of the mountain Skyland Distributing? (479 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz bottle via trade from hopdog. Thanks for the opportunity. Best before box on label is empty.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above the clear dark gold/light amber brew. Head lasts well, with plentiful foamy lacing. Aroma is rye with floral hops. Taste is smooth rye character upfront, with ample citris hoppiness coming on next, and a lingering bitter on the close. Mouthfeel and drinkability both great. Probably a nice session brew for the locals. (490 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Previously reviewed on-tap in Nov. Am now reviewing the bottled version.
A: Pours a cloudy copper color with a thin sticky head that recedes to a spotty lace.
S: Sweet, fruity, and floral. Reminds me of Trixx cereal.
T: Sugary sweet up-front, Citrus and floral hop bitterness, toasted and grainy, and a faint alcohol taste on the back-end.
M: Light to Medium bodied. Excpected more umph in the mouth given the taste.
D: Very drinkable session beer that I highly recommend! (478 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

I had the Terrapin Rye Pale Ale on-tap at Summits in Sandy Springs, GA.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper-yellow with a creamy, off-white head. The head slowly fades and there is some lacing. Carbonation is moderate.

Smell: The smell is a well balanced mix of floral and fruity hops and rye.

Taste: I've had this in the bottle and on tap several times and it seems to change a bit as time goes by. This time it was a bit hoppy but not over the top. The rye is smooth and clean and has a nice finish on the palette. It has a bit of tanginess but also not over the top - nice balance.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is smooth, slick, and has a slight bite.

Drinkability and Overall: This is an excellent pale ale. I'm quite impressed by this beer and if the mood struck me I could drink it all afternoon. (812 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz bottle.

Somewhat cloudy burnt orange color.. Eggshell-colored head that lasts a while, not leaving a lot for lacing. The aroma is mostly pepper & light hops, but can't pick up much rye. Taste is a smattering of fresh citrus hops resting on a dusty rye malt profile..really flavorful for a pale ale. I'm a sucker for hop-driven beers within their style, and for me, this fit the bill. A great offering from Terrapin, and a brew definitely worth trying.

Big thanks go out to timtheenchanta for the opportunity to try this one. (536 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange body with a thin, fizzy white head that disappeared in short order but shows a decent amount of carbonation.

Smell is grassy hops, just slightly floral, with some citric notes in there as well. Pretty hoppy.

Taste is quite enjoyable. The hops are firm and citric, with a solid lemon-grapefruit flavor and a spicy flavor on the back end that I'm assuming is the rye making its presence felt. The biscuity-malt flavors balance things out nicely. Mouthfeel is a tad thin.

Overall: A fine hoppy brew that's as drinkable as any I've come across. (557 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz. bottle that has been saved from my last trip to Georgia.

Pours a thin white head that disipates quickly, leaving only a thin white rim around the edge of the glass. An up-front smell of hops is supported by a backbone of citrus notes, an aroma that always makes me eager to dive in.

The scent holds true, as the taste packs a bold hoppy punch. A balance of malt is present, but be ready for the hops to win out. There are some noticeable citrus flavors as well. A very drinkable mouthfeel, but not noteworhty. Finishes with a welcome bite to the back of the tounge and leaves a great hoppy flavor in your mouth throughout the beer.

I must say that I am biased towards Terrapin, and my review follows accordingly; the Rye Pale Ale is my sentimental favorite. A Great brewery, and this beer is one that I can drink all night enjoyably. I can't wait to go back to Georgia for more. (894 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz. bottle, not dating.

Pours a cloudy gold, topped with a short head of small and medium bubbles, loosely packed that quickly reduces to a short collar leaving minimum lacing. The smell is distinctly of cascade hops, juicy and bold. The taste is boldly hopped up front, but balanced with a malt sweetness in the middle finishing hoppy and clean. There are other grainy sweet notes as well, perhaps this is the rye coming through a bit. Medium bodied, light on the tongue, but not think. Vibrant carbonation bounces across the mouth. Nice overall and drinkable as well.

The neck ring says that 5 different hop varieties are used, I’ll buy that. (653 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Picked up a six pack of this on a recent trip to South Carolina. The beer poured a Golden Orange color and was slightly cloudy. The head froathed up rich and thick but disappated very quickly.

A very unique nose. A citrusy and floral scent. A very hoppy beer with a strong Citrus taste.

A thin and watery beer, with a fair amount of carbonation and a very bitter finish. (380 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

Contract Brewed by Frederick Brewing Co. - Frederick, MD.

Orange-ish in color with a low-moderate off-white head, lots of tiny suspended sediment, and decent carbonation. Citrusy grapefruit hop aroma dominates the nose. Nice balanced rye malt and citrusy hop flavors. Light-medium bodied with a crisp citrusy hop finish; not overly bitter; body is a bit light I guess but not detracting.

Very nice ! A must buy !

Per label: "5 varieties of hops" & "2002 GABF - Gold - American Pale Ale"

Per TBC website:
Malt: 2-row pale, Munich, Malted Rye, Bisuit Malt, Honey Malt.
Hops: Amarillo, Cascade, East Kent Goldings, Fuggle, Magnum.
IBU's: 45
O.G.: 13.5
ABV: 5.3%

'5250' lasered on bottom
Tasted: 01/07/06 (721 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

got this in a trade with TheBeerCellar2. poured dark orange, with a white head, that left a little lacing. aroma, hops, citrus leaning towards the lemon side, fruity, some malts. flavor, hops, malts a touch of honey, citrus, a combination of lemon and orange. not to bad (270 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

appearance: The pour into my imperial pint creates a .5" white head. The beer is a deep straw golden color.

smell: Green, leafy hops and some floral, spicy fruit aroma. Gentle, yet obvious malt sweetness. The hops and fruit aromas are very nice.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body a heavy light.

taste: Nice balance of malt sweetness, hop flavor, and hop aroma. Tasty and complex considering the style. There is plenty hop bitterness to balance the sweet flavors provided by the grain.

drinkability: Very easy drinking, with the nice balance and good aromas and flavors

One of my roommates brought a sample of this beer back from Athens for me. (683 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

I had this one at Ted’s Montana Grill in Atlanta.

The beer was a nice bronze with a skimpy head and not much lacing.

The nose was of Citrus, some grains (rye) and a bit of grass.

The taste is nicely bitter with a definite citrus undertone. The beer has a nice solid feel to it, which may due to rye or may be due to something else, either way it is nice. Well balanced and enjoyable beer here.

The mouthfeel is great and this is very sessionable (I had four in one sitting). I really enjoyed this one and it went well with my buffalo steak. (554 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck generic bottle, multicolored label

Appearance: hazy goden color, small off-white head, minor lacing

Smell: very hoppy, minor citrus and malt

Taste: light-to-medium body, crisp mouth feel, hoppy bitterness big way, but pleasant not harsh, citrus, sweetness, NO RYE, minor malt in background

Notes: good, not great (365 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +9.8%

OK, I am a little surprised with this one. I really expected something else before I poured it and was impressed somewhat with it. I thought it would be thin, and light, but I was wrong. It was not light when I poured it, it was more of a gold to ice tea color and the body was definately viscous as it climbed its way up the side of the goblet. The aroma was a real good blast of "C" hops and I love them. On further inspection I should note that the carbonation seems perfect even if it has to fight its way through a somewhat murky beer. For the record I prefer this unfiltered, very refreshing. Yum, a big hoppy pale ale. Tastes fresh like a sweet ass homebrew, there is even some slight astringency. A nice atr finish that makes me wish I had some more. Send me some more please!

edit - I scored this too low for its style! As far as Pale Ales go this one kicks ass. (874 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +17.6%

Wow. I wasnt expecting this. One of the best beers I have had in a while. I really love rye bread. Now I think I love rye beer, based on this selection.

Pours a golden orange color with a small head. I would have like to get some more head development from the barkeep, but she gave me just enough to work with.Very tiny carbonation bubbles.

Terrific smell. Lots of hops and citrus and orange and hops and grass and freshly mown hay. Great complexity. Smells wonderful. Like Great Divides Fresh Hop ale or any DIPA I assume.

Taste is smooth and clean. Nice hop bitterness. Great balance with the malt and hops. Tastes of citrus and lemons as grass as well. Very summer-earthy.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel. Smooth on the palate as well. A wonderful beer that surprised the hell out of me. (799 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of lostbearbrew and BIF 23:

Pours a clear orangey-amber color out of the bottle. Small foamstand. Palpable scent of tangy citrus, pine needles, and freshly mown grass. Nice and hoppy just the way I like it. Aggressive bitterness at first sip fades into crisp, clean finish of rye. Some catty, dank hop flavors reminiscent of Simcoe or Chinook. Good hop character melds with maltiness to strike a good balance. A nice session beer. (458 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a light copper color wit ha light head that falls quickly to nothing at all. Good clarity too. Nose is what I expect from an APA. Lots of earthy hop with a moderate caramel base. I get a small bit of spicey rye in there, but not a lot. Flavor is nice. Peppery hop, slightly sweet citrusy hop with a very healthy backbone of caramel. No rye that I can taste. Feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. This is a tasty APA. Flavors are full on hop with a really nice balancing caramel. Good brew. (503 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

I hadn't realized that this was a Rye Pale Ale when I drank it, I thought it was an IPA when I poured it and set my expectations accordingly. Interestingly, I thought it was a pretty good IPA but never detected any rye...

The pour is a hazy deep gold, cloudy with a pretty healthy white head. The foam hangs around a bit and clings to the glass nicely.

Smell is very inviting - restrained but distinct hops. I thought it was a bit light for an IPA but for a PA it's right on target. Hop notes are primarily pine and herb with a wee bit of citrus thrown into an interesting mix.

The taste was very nice. While I never noticed any rye (wonder if I would have if I was searching for them?) there's a really solid malt body here. Lots of biscuit dough and light toasted bread to give this beer a proper body. Hop notes, while reserved (as expected in a PA) are many and complex. Plenty of nice herbal notes, a little on the spicy side and a good mix of citrus peel and new mown grass. Plenty of complexity in this beer without that "everything but the kitchen sink" feel.

Mouthfeel is fine - medium bodied brew, ample carbonation, restrained bittering at the finish, nice clean palate. If the word hadn't been hijacked by Bud, Pepsi and 7Up, I'd call it "crisp"

Rye or no rye, this is a very drinkable brew. Low ABV, nice body, enough malt and hop notes to keep you interested... I could see this as a very good session beer and a good backyard BBQ brew. As I'm writing this I'm already wanting another, which I guess is good testimony to its drinkability.

Thanks to mntlover for this very tasty Pale Ale - now I have one more reason to visit Atlanta. (1,665 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Cute little hillbilly turtle on a brown bottle. Pours a light orange, not the best color for a rye but it's saved by a very nice head.

Smells like rye hops. Cactus flowers and grapefruit with a hint of sugary malt. Nice.

The rye base tastes a little like wheat and it moves quickly into floral hops. From there it takes a strange turn into a pale, lemony ice tea flavor. Strange. Not a very good finish.

I could drink this all night. Pity I only got one bottle. (471 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearence: Pours a clear light copper with a creamy, off-white head. Perfectly clear, little carbonation.

Smell: The smell is a well balanced mix of floral and fruity hops and rye, with a slightly sweet malt backbone.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is very nice. The rye is not the focus, but adds a wonderful flavor to the beer. The hops are strong, but not over-the-top. They're very tasteful and well used, balance out by a good malt flavor. The mouthfeel is smooth and slick.

Drinkability and Overall: An excellent pale ale, and an even better session beer. The rye was a very nice touch to this beer. I'm quite impressed and I wish this were available to me locally.

Thanks to rajendra82 for the bottle. (721 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks to lostbearbrew for this addition on our last trade...one I have been wanting to try for some time.
Pours a semi-cloudy golden orange color w/ a half finger of bright white head...decent amount of lacing going on.
Aroma is enjoyable...a nice citrus scent w/ a semi-sweet background.
The taste is decent...less flavor than what was detected in the nose, but it becomes more flavorful as it warms.
Rye does not overtake the brew and it is fairly well balanced w/ the bitterness presenting itself in the finish.
A bit thin in the mouthfeel but the carbonation is where I enjoy it to be. Could be a session brew, but I'd prefer to reach for an alternative if given the chance.
A decent offering and I am very pleased to get the chance to try. (751 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Big thanks go out to Ding for the chance to sample this one.

Appearance: Pours a clear honey golden color with a minimal head. Carbonation noted throughout the body and up the sides of the glass. The head disappears leaving wispy lacings and rings the glass.

Smell: A nice blend of sweet malt, fresh citrus and flowery hops, and a hint of peppery spices.

Taste: A wheaty base with some citrusy hop peaks here and there. Definitely a strong rye presence. A touch of lemon rind and that wheat base keeps creeping back into the game. Nicely balanced and blended.

Mouthfeel: Medium and slightly creamy with some good carbonation to balance it out.

Drinkability: Good. A touch on the thin side for me but very well balanced and very enjoyable. Recommended. (766 characters)

Had this at the Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock,NC with a jerk chicken pizza and it complimented it very well.Poured into a mason jar a light copper color with fluffy white head,aromas are quite hoppy heavy on the grapefruit and lemon rind with a touch of caramel underneath the hops.This beer is not heavy on the rye but its noticable on the palate just light sour note in the finish mainly the Pacific coast-type hop comes thru but a firm dry malt base keeps this quite balanced and quaffable.A pretty solid beer not over the top rye wise by any means and food friendly I wish I could get it here in Greensboro. (613 characters)

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin Beer Company