Terrapin Hopzilla - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin HopzillaTerrapin Hopzilla

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

(Beer added by: generalnotsew on 07-31-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Hopzilla Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

A: cloudy bright orange bright white head good head retention

S: A lot of pine with some citrus mostly pine here

T: Taste follows the smell mostly Pine with some citrus notes but the pine is the star here starts off ever so slightly sweet finish is dry pine no alcohol in taste very good!

M: med mouth med carbonation

D: very drinkable impressive because at 10.80 %

overall: My first Terrapin Beer and its a good one! I do like this beer check out my vlog review for this: youtube.com/tantrum777

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into my glass. Thanks to dmunroe for this one.

A - Pours out a hazy straw color with a nice one finger white head that settled into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass, some sticky lacing.

S - Smells of light piney and citrus hops, some slightly bready malt with a slight alcohol burn.

T - Citrusy hops, lots of grapefruit and lemon. Bitterness last throughout followed by the same slightly bready malt. Some alcohol burn on the tongue.

M - Medium bodied, a little creamy. Could have been a little smoother, but that was offset by the alcohol astringecy.

D - This is a good beer, lots of citrus notes and a ton of bitterness. I had no trouble finishing the entire bottle, but the alcohol burn could be a little much for some.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

$9 at Bruisin' Ales, Asheville, NC. 22oz brown-glass pry-top bottle. No date.

Pours a hazy pale orange gold with thin white head. Nose is full of bright sticky hops! Love it! Cannabis, white flowers, a little cream, over-ripe oranges, juice and all.

Palate is light and crisp, despite the 10+% abv. Orange juice with pulp is my first though. Flowers, lime zest, and pine resin. Sticky with pale malt, but drying due to the hops.

This is friggin great. Sad I only brought one home. No wonder Mike told me he "can't keep it on the shelf."

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

"Terrapin Side Project number 12 is none other than the fearless "Hopzilla" Double IPA. This Hoptastic creature clocks in at 110 IBU's and has all the hop explosions of a B-Rate monster movie.
Made with 100% Maris Otter malt to back up the barrage of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma, this beast knows no boundaries. With all of this hoppy goodness packed into one beer, we wouldnt have called it by any other name."

Pours from a gold foiled 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours lighter than I expected, almost a dark straw color with a reasonable size foaminess on top.

Aroma is hoppy and alcoholic. Very fruity and sweet with citrus being the mainstay of the aroma. There is a nice malt backbone as well but this one seems too sweet.

Definitely a little sweet on the tongue. Cloying up front with large doses of fruits and berries. Sticky sweet and oily on the palate. BItterness is completely lost in all of the caramel malt.

Not a fan of this one. When I read this one had 110 IBU's I was a little excited. However, those IBU are overwhelmed by the sweet caramel malt and makes this one alcoholic, sticky, sweet, cloying, and tough to finish. I have another bottle of this too :(

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

If you're a fan of IPAs, then this is the beer for you. They call it a double India pale ale, and they're not lying. I, myself, am not a fan of IPAs, but the taste of Hopzilla was excellent.

The color was a perfect oranged wheat tone. Looked a lot like Blue Moon for comparison. The head worked for me, not too much foam, the carbonation stuck around.

I found the smell to be very floral, with hints of citrus.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured a murky, pale orange/amber color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer. The head faded to a thin ring around the edge of the glass, but didn't leave much lacing.

The aroma has a bright, citrusy and fruity hoppiness to it with some peach, pineapple and grapefruit to it. Just a bit of alcohol shows through a bit as well.

The taste has a lot of juicy peach flavors coming through. A little bit of a tropical, pineapple, citrus flavors come through as well. A bit of a grapefruit flavor with a dry bitterness comes through towards the finish. it has a wonderful fruity and bright hoppiness to it overall.

The mouthfeel is relatively light with carbonation being moderate. Drinkability is very good for me, I loved the hoppy, fruity flavors. The peach and pineapple flavors are some of my favorite hoppy flavors in beer and this one did them exceptionally. My only criticism is although the alcohol was very well hidden, 10% is too high for me to drink that often unfortunately. Terrapin should really consider making this one a regular or seasonal release. I would definitely buy it often, and if they toned down the abv a few % it would definitely be a very frequent purchase and a regular in my fridge along with Two Hearted and Rye PA. That's how much I liked the flavors in this one.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a hazy, golden orange with an off white, 2-finger, dense head. Head drops fairly quickly leaving a small amount of thin lace.

The smell is grapefruit, mostly, nectarine and pineapple with a mild, far-off, hint of sweet malt.

The taste is grapefruit, very sweet malt and a dose of alcohol that is, also, very warming. Bitterness is negligible.

Mouthfeel is full and amply carbonated.

Drinkability: This has a few good things going for it but drinkability is hampered by the high ABV & sweetness. It's good, but at PA prices, I'd rather have a Sculpin. I'd drink this again, on tap, but wouldn't buy another bomber unless I was sharing with a couple of others.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

A= Nice thick golden color cloudy, nice white foamy head that had a good retention and had very nice lacing.

S= From the nose I smelt some orange and some peach in this one.

T= The citrus hops came out very nice earthly hops and a little bit of a malt backbone.

M= Medium bodied, highly carbonated

D= Very drinkable really enjoyed this one, a really nice IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

You get a solid finger and a half of pure white foam, lots of mixed bubble sizes, likely contributes to the lack of head retention, curiously, little stick to the lacing as well. Deep haze to the light orange to yellow color, almost witbier in look, good amount of lazy bubbles float slowly within. Builds steadily at a moderate gait in the nose, white pepper and green grass make a brief obligatory show, then bow out in favor of concentrated apricot, peach, pear fruit scents, floral musk, and slabs of tangelo and pink grapefruit citrus, so strong is the former that the not insignificant pine, cinnamon and caramel accents shunted to the side. Full-bodied, seems like it was created to cannonball into your mouth with authority. Fluffy and soft carbonation has it spreading near and far, an interesting tactile counterpoint to the highly concentrated apricot, peach paste, supplemented by pineapple, guava, kumquat fruit of equal density. The pink grapefruit, tangerine citrus sweet yet so layered, there's not much zest. Has as much pine tar on it as George Brett's bat. Rouses up a shout of white pepper and grass but this is mostly for show. This is a DIPA for those with a serious sweet tooth.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Special thanks to Dave for bringing this one to a recent tasting!

A: Cloudy goldish color, with about a half inch head and great fizzy head retention.

S: Tangerine and peach upfront with caramel notes blended in. Nice!

T: Candy-like, with crackly pixie stick dust type of hop forwardness, and malt backbone to balance out the brew. Terrapin used Maris Otter malts to make this. Even though that is an ingredient typically associated with English style brews, there is nothing English about this one. At 110 IBUs, this is about as hoppy as it gets!

M: A bit of booze, but that is to be expected with a drink clocking in at 10.8% ABV. It's not too sugary or syrupy, and the bitterness starts to disappear after a few sips due to the citrus alkalinity (grapefruit).

D: Very drinkable, especially for the high ABV. This is the best Terrapin beer I've had in a while.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Bottle shared by djmiller92. Thanks Dave!

Hopzilla is a hazy yellow-orange hue with a thin white head that leaves only small traces of lacing on the glass. The aroma is very powerful, with scents of resinous hops and pine, followed by hints of citrus fruits. The beer tastes pretty good and the 10.8% alcohol is concealed to a certain degree. The flavor is a huge blast of pine and hops. The feel is quite sticky and sweet, nearly chewy. In this regard, I would guess that the abv is 10% or more. I enjoyed this beer, though I hear that it is better on draft. This isn't something of which I would want a lot, but I enjoyed my six ounces in a snifter. I would drink this again.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright orange color and a cloudy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A sweet smell of citrus, hops, and some malt.

T: Tasted of citrus, earthy hops, and a little malt in the finish. A well rounded, vibrant flavor.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A solid, well made imperial IPA. Drinkable and well worth a shot.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is very hoppy with citrus and pineapple as well as caramel malt and a touch of metal. The appearance is amber with floating particles and a nice head for the style but fades without being foamy. The taste is very much like the aroma. The palate is smooth. Overall a good beer but the finish is very alcoholic and a bit to metallic.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: A light golden color with a decent amount of haze. A white fluffy head leaves nice glass lacing.

S: Tropical fruits with pineapple, orange, fresh cut grass, some earthy tones and a malt sweetness.

T: Hops are huge in this beer. The earthy hops flavors come first with a huge flavor of fresh cut grass, some pine and dirt flavors coupled with the sweeter tropical fruit of pineapple, orange and mango. A pretty hefty caramel malt flavor turns almost surgary before this weird final aftertaste kicks in. I read someone else described it as an aspirin flavor, I think that's dead on. The final flavor lingered in my mouth and left me turned off a bit.

M: Full, prickly, alcoholic and bitter.

D: Medium at best. This beer is loaded with alcohol and that aspirin flavor really limits drinkability for me.

Overall I don't see the hype with this beer. There are much, much better DIPAs out there for the money. Sorry Terrapin, not something I will seek out again.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle from green's in atlanta... unforunately one broke in my luggage... first time this has ever happened... Thank TSA, I love the way you repack things. I am glad beer registers on your radar of things that NEED to be checked, but you can not take the time to repack the way it was originally in there.
anyway... my luggage smelled awesome. the MOST fragrant citrus hops I have ever smelled. I want to know what hops they use. amazing.
anyway... past the aroma... this is a really awesome brew. high abv in order to strip more hop oil... the taste does leave a bitterness though... which I find odd. Everything about it is good, VERY sweet hops, but the finish is odd and bitter, thy try so hard to hide the true intention of hops, but it is unmasked at the finish, but by god if you find it get it. for the price, this is a great brew!!

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Poured from the bottle into a stemmed tulip.

A - Hazy, bright glowing yellow body with a small white head on top

S - Tropical hops dominate the nose on this one. Hints of pineapple and mango with a bit of a dank resiny aroma.

T - Similar to the aroma. This one brings the tropical flavor with a mix of citrusy bite as well. No lingering bitterness or extreme bitterness in this one. It has a malt backbone that stands up to the hops but never really shows itself. Nice tropical flavored IPA.

M - medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Not sticky at all.

D - Pretty drinkable. I really like the tropical notes in this. A solid DIPA but it seems like its just missing something that would put it over the top. I might pick up a few more bottles of this if I want a tropical flavored IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Cloudy, creamy blonde with small foamy head.

Smell: Citrusy, fresh, floral bouquet.. Delicious!

Taste: Changes characters midway through- starts off hoppy upfront, but that is soon replaced with a citrusy, sweet malt flavor. There are also Belgian yeast undertones.

Mouthfeel: A bit sticky... very little bitterness in the beginning with a lingering finish.

Drinkability: This is a beer you need to get fresh... A very drinkable Imperial IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Pours a light, hazy amber with about a half inch of head that quickly dissipates into just a wisp of lace.

S- Hmm... I believe there may be hops in this beer. Let me check again... yep, hops. Lots of them, in fact. Sweet, pungent grapefruit is the dominant aroma, with a good dose of backing malt that nonetheless plays third fiddle (the first two seats of the orchestra both being occupied by hops).

T- An all-out assault on the tastebuds from the first sip. The hops ride across the tongue on caramel stallions, seducing the tastebuds with their pleasant flavors of blood orange and tropical fruits and striking them down with harsh alpha acids that are bitter as crushed aspirin. Alcohol and biscuity malt survey the devastation, reviving but a few of the stricken tastebuds. I guess I really should have done a Godzilla-themed metaphor. Whatever. If you want a good review, look somewhere else. You get what you pay for.

M- Relatively thick but balanced nicely by a strong carbonation that keeps it from becoming syrupy.

D- Bitterness and alcohol. Those two things drive the drinkability down quite a bit. Nevertheless, the flavor is such that I'll have no problem finishing the bomber.

This is a very good hop-forward DIPA, which may sound redundant, and is to some extent. What I mean, though, is that, unlike some East Coast DIPAs, this one amps the hops up enough that it cannot be confused with a barleywine... at least, not at this stage in its life. If you like hops, I suggest you try this, especially while it's still fresh. Recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

I have not liked much from Terrapin so far. The best rated review I have given to their brews is currently one of the Side Project series. This is the second I get to try of this series. 22oz bomber. At 110 IBU, this should be a bomb! Here we go...

A: A nice medium honey color with a hint of lemonade color mixed in. Tiny off white head that quickly fades to a lace atop the brew. Good.

S: This smells like an IPA. Grassy hops quickly followed by a nice sweet citrus malt. Definitely a good balance between hop and malt in the scent. Very good.

T: There's the hop bomb I was waiting for. On the initial sip you first quickly get a sweet malty citrus flavor which is immediately buried by some super earthy, dry, grapefruit hop. As this one drinks, I becomes so much more than as it started. I am now getting some rye, some faint toffee and even more faint caramel. This is very good.

M: Full bodied with a thick carbonation feel. Good.

D: After you get past the hop / booze bite, this goes down good.

All in all, I've definitely realized that the "Side Project" brews are the winners from this brewery. I've tried several of their regular offerings and have not really enjoyed any of them. This one is a very good brew. This is actually the best I've tried from them so far. Worth hunting if you like big beer IPA's for sure!

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice white head. Aroma is quite nice with floral, tropical, and citrus hops in abundance. Some apricot in the nose as well. A touch of sweetness, but this is surely all about the hops. Taste brings more raw hoppy goodness. Large amounts of bitterness atop the tiniest bit of malt. Mouth is nice and dry and the beer goes down quite smoothly considering the abv and hop level.

22oz bottle $8. nice orange color with a blast of hops to the nose, just the way I like it. The flavor was super hoppy, citrus, almost west coast to me. I really need another bottle to give a more thorough review but this was quite good and I want more. terrapin never seems to disappoint me these days.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden honey color with a thick, tight bubbled head that leaves quite a few strands down the pint glass

Smell: Floral and tropical, with tangerine, grapefruit and pine

Taste: Opens with a sweet, fruity flavor that adds an piney bitterness by mid-palate, along with a clearly discernable bit of alcohol; after the swallow, the sweet malt softens the bitterness and creates a tropical citrus fruit potpourri

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; a bit sticky

Drinkability: A bit too sweet and sticky for my palate but a very nice crack at the style; I just prefer my beers more attenuated

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on top of a very hazy, golden body. The foam settles slowly and leaves moderate lace. This beer looks oddly similar to a belgian wit especially considering how different the flavor is.

S - A very strong aroma of citrus hops with an emphasis on grapefruit. Light hints if orange and mango in the background barely manage to sneak past the grapefruit. There is some bready malt hiding in there a well, with just a hint if toasted grain.

T - Resinous, pone and grapefruit hops up front with lots of sweet, malty sugar. Some bitterness begins to creep in towards the middle but is still balanced by the sugary malt and overshadowed by the wave of hop flavor. The beer finishes with investing bitterness that begins to reveal smoky, mustard like hop flavors that I would normally associate with a much darker beer. Lingering bitterness and sugary fruit notes from the interplay of malt and hops.

M - A moderately thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - the aroma on this ber is fantastic, and while the flavor is nearly equally hoppy, it comes across as a bit too sweet. While a good dose of sugar is naturally required to balance this level of hop intensity, this is somewhat excessive. The sweetness robs the hop flavor of some of its intensity by making it taste kind of like candied, dried fruit. Still, the hop aroma is spectacular, and it is a very nice DIPA overall. It is reminiscent of Avery Maharaja, thoughif it was a bit dryer, it would be even better.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

This is an exquisite DIPA with hops that are almost tropical in nature. The malt is slightly sweet and backs up the mammoth hops nicely. I like this best in a pinot noir glass to get the full benefit of the aromatic hops. Though it has a high alcohol content, it is well hidden in the taste profile. My hopes are that terrapin will make this a regular offering. It is one of their best side projects to date.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma is all piney and citrusy hops, with some floral notes for good measure, along with turbinado sugar, biscuity malt, fruity esters, and alcohol. The flavor is also bursting with juicy, fresh hop notes (citrus, pineapple, pine), along with cane sugar, biscuit, caramel, fruity esters, and a wallop of alcohol. The mouthfeel is smooth and luxurious, and drinkability is good. A solid DIPA that tastes fresh and has a creamy mouthfeel.

Terrapin Hopzilla from Terrapin Beer Company