Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Terrapin Hoptaneous Combustion - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Hoptaneous CombustionTerrapin Hoptaneous Combustion

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-02-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to Lillie1128 for this bottle!

We need more brewers crazy enough to add smoke to random styles like DIPAs and whatnot, dammit! Trust me. This experiment in proving me right (as if that was even needed here) pours a clear auburn-amber topped by a finger or so of rich cream foam. The nose comprises soft pine needles, mesquite smoke, dry-ish caramel, and a light touch of pineapple flesh. Everything melds so well here, you'd think they were all of one scent (something like that, anyway...). The taste holds notes of sweet/buttery toffee, light mesquite smoke, very light char, spicy greens, and a spar between light maple syrup and light pine resin in the very back that only makes its presence known once everything vacates the area down the throat. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and the lightest possible syrupy feel. Overall, a tasty beverage, indeed, but one that I think loses sight of the smoke when it really needs it: in the taste. I think a thicker, heavier smoke would have popped nicely. While this dearth is noticeable and detrimental, it doesn't detract enough to make this beer anywhere near unpleasant. In other words, good times regardless.

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A 22oz bomber bought in Atlanta poured into a couple of snifters. I think it cost around $12.

Appearance (3.5): Slight hazy dark orange or light copper. Small head from a soft pour and a slight film remains with a small ring with some bubbles. Not much lacing either.

Smell (4.5): Almost smells more like an oaked IPA at first, but when you pay attention, the smoke is definitely there although not overpowering. Some floral citrus with orange, grapefruit and maybe a touch of passionfruit. A bit of caramel sweetness melds well with the subtle smoke. Very well integrated which is what this beer is all about to me.

Taste (4.5): Fruity upfront with a strong crystal presence. Some sweetness but well balanced out my a fairly strong but smooth bitterness. Very easy drinking and smooth with the smoke only coming around in the finish. The bitterness peaks in the middle but isn't harsh at any point and dissipates in the finish. The orange and grapefruit stick around a bit in the finish as well, but this is where the smoke shines.

Mouthfeel (5): Very soft and smooth. Medium to high bodied and low to medium carbonation.

Overall (4.5): I was looking forward to this one and it did not let down at all. The amount of smoke was perfect to complement the aromatic hops (not dominant either) and the well balanced slight sweetness and smooth bitterness. A very well done, well integrated beer which says a lot as it is fairly complex with lots of strong flavors.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Hoptomic. The brew pours a bright golden hue, slightly hazed, and is capped with a big pillowy off-white froth that deposits rings of lace. Delicious smoked notes emanate from the glass, complementing fruity and woody hoppiness and sweet sugar-cookie malt; the nose is tremendously well-apportioned. The flavor shows many traits common to DIPA, such as a fairly sweet sugar-cookie malt and a boatload of fresh and pungent hops that contribute immense citric-tangerine, catty-dank and floral bitterness; all of this is delivered with an additional suggestion of smoked ham. It is important to note that the smoke is never overwhelming, nor is it understated, though it is also a tad on the medicinal side. The smoke nuance is delivered in a proportion that is quite a bit like the Schlenkerla Lager. Nice feel; soft and lighter-bodied for a DIPA. Overall, I am a huge fan of this beer. I find it to be interesting, delicious and just all-around very good.

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Not sure how old this is is it was received in a mystery box from a friend in Georgia.

Appearance: Pours deep hazy gold color with not much head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Aroma is of faintly smoked alcohol. Not much happening in the nose for me.

Taste: I definately taste the smoke first. It isnt over the top alcohol like the nose would suggest either. The hoppy part of this beer is in the background and there is definately a strong caramel sweetness. There are a lot of flavors clashing in this beer. Not sure which one to point. I guess its kind of sweet and smoky at the same time with hop presense but not much bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A little on the underattenuated side for my tastes but not neccesarily for the style.

Overall: Solid beer but not one I would probably seek out a ton. I am glad I am splitting this bomber with my wife, Im not sure I could drink two pints of it in one sitting.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

on tap at barelys i was happy to be able to have a pint and not have to buy the bottle of this one.

amber color being presented to me right away. There was some haze and cloudiness to it, but to be honest, I was surprised by how clear it was for being unfiltered. There was a nice three finger high head of white foam that capped the top

surprisingly well balanced, with a good bit of malt welcoming me as well as a barrage of citrus hops right off the top. Nice bready and sugary tones were out first, but then quickly replaced by a piney hop sensation, which itself was replaced in turn by a slightly more acidic grapefruit like aroma. Very floral, I was really liking what I was seeing here. bready malt flavor was the first thing I noticed but this was washed away by the floral hops almost all at once. Nice rich pine flavors coming into play, but nothing really becoming detrimental to my palate here, this was remarkably well blended. Nice orange like hints working through with hints of grass and grain all around them. A strong finish capped it off with more then adequate drying and a sticky pine like flavor that lasted well into the net sip.

One of the thicker big IPA's I have had, it avoided becoming overly done and syrup like by keeping a nice carbonation profile kicking

Terrapin's offering of Hoptaneous Combustion is an absolutely creative Double IPA made with smoked maplewood malt. It's beautiful smoked smell honors the Georgia Theater as part of Terrapin's series made to benefit the arts in Georgia.

It's too bad that I'm vegetarian and don't love smoked beers. If you do, this beer is a must have. An absolute must. I'm drinking bottle 904 of their latest batch, with thanks to Bob, a recent trading partner.

The appearance is amber to ruddy gold, and the head sustains well though without much lacing. The smell - especially as it warms - is gorgeous if you're a fan of smoke, and off-putting if you're not. For me, it showed a combination of toasted malt, citrus and pine hops, and a thickness from the smoke. The taste follows, with hops leading and smoke bringing up the rear. And it's a big barbequed rear.

A fine feeling beer in the mouth, it's not too sticky and presents an easy drink, despite the obvious wood in the mouth. (That's what she said...)

It's just not a beer for me. And my style bias has to - at some point - mitigate my respect for the brew. That's why for a smoke lover it's an A+ beer, and for me... just a B+. Cheers to Terrapin though for this beer. An absolutely well-crafted creation.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

My wife picked me up a bomber of this while she was out grocery shopping...no golden ticket for me. I poured the beer into a tulip, and the beer pours a bright, surprisingly light, clear, rose-tinted yellow-gold coloring with a huge frothy, foamy, chunky, big bubbled, off-white head. Nose is a heavy, strong, bold dose of resinous, wet hops. This smells like a big old glass of green, and I am ready! There are some very slight meaty notes that sneak in at the end of the nose, but you have to get in pretty deep in the glass to get anything but the hops. The beer is a round and robust bodied brew, and the flavors are initially a pepper spiced bevy of hops flavors, with a strong does of wet, resinous hops, but also some dry, spicy hops as well. Good malt presence to balance all the green in the glass, and slightly smokey at the back of the tongue and in the sinuses. The beer is robust and full in mouth, and it carries a mild, malty sweet and slightly peppered aftertaste to it. The beer has a dry, hopped bitter finish that lingers a bit. Very tasty. This is a decent beer!

4.13/5  rDev +2%

As a music lover this beer is a very cool contribution by Terrapin to its live music community...cheers to help supporting an awesome cause. Plus being a Widespread Panic fan (hence the avatar) I know a lot of good music was played in this theater before it suffered its setback. Big thanks to gford217 for sending this my way and doing his part by contributing to the collaborative effort. Wish I could have held onto this for a while longer, but IPAs are meant for drinking, not sitting in the cellar. On to the beer...

A - pours a nice orange color with a billowing one finger head that has a really nice retention

S - has a nice hoppy bouquet of grapefruit with charred smoke and some bread malts

T - Taste is very similar to the nose. This starts off with a really nice sweet, juicy grapefruit hop flavour that is mixed in with some caramel and bread malt. On the backend and exhale the smokiness of the smoked malt creeps its way into the palate. I feared that this was going to be a smoky mess with subtle hop character; pleasantly, this was the exact opposite. Really nice twist added to your standard DIPA.

M - nice creamy mouthfeel goes down really nicely

D - I think this was a really cool concept of a beer. I really like how Spike took the concept of the fire and applied the idea to a nice IPA with smokiness as a reminder of the charred ash that remained from the destroyed theatre. Cool concept and Terrapin pulled it off well. Time and time again I have a new IPA/DIPA from Terrapin that exceeds expectations, well done!

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

It pours a vibrant orange with a clear body. The head was magnificant and the lacing is some of the best I've seen in a long while with cascading layers.

An interesting smell, to say the least. Grapefruit and lilac for the hops. There's a pine aspect to it, but not in a resinous hoppy way, in a wood way.

Those same citrus and floral hops are predominant in the taste as is the smoke. The smoke brings a dry, yet not bitter flavor to it. As such, the finish is dry. It has a solid sweet malt backbone.

Extraordinary carbonation backed by the dry smoke gives it a unique mouthfeel.

I could see this being a "love it or hate it" beer. I fall on the love it side and would highly recommend it.

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

This poured orange with a little head. It had a strong sweetness, I tasted fabric and band-aid glue. It also had dark cereal flavors with heavy maltiness. Let's be honest, you order a beer like this knowing that it is a rarity. This isn't something that you keep on hand. I've tried it once, and that's good enough for me. It was a tolerable double IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright orange color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a small amount of foamy, quickly dissipating head. Good lacing.

S: A nice, but not too big, aroma of citrus, hops, malt, and a certain amount of smokiness.

T: Tasted of hops, grapefruit, malt, and the smoky/burnt wood flavor. Definitely an interesting flavor that deviates from the usual DIPA template. Complex and flavorful.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a surprisingly dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This beer probably won't appeal to everyone, but it's still pretty tasty and drinkable in my opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Strong aroma is quite hoppy with an overtone of grapefruit and a hint of yeast. It pours a clear golden amber with a fairly thick off-white head. Flavor is - WHOA!!! Fierce! Very hoppy but minimally bitter, firm malty undertone, grapefruit, yeasty and woody tones and hints of spice and honey. Ragged texture is quite tingly and leaves behind a persistent and lively fizz. This one's a monster, so be prepared!

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

On-tap at Brewvival 2011

Pours a nice glowing gold with a creamy white head. Supposed to be a smoked IPA, but I can't really detect any smoke. Fairly typical IPA aromas of caramel, grapefruit, and pineapple with a definite "different" flavor, but I dunno if I'd guess that it was smoked. Tastes like a normal imperial Terrapin IPA. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Decently drinkable, but the smoke it the "schtick", and I'm not getting any.

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a slightly hazy, copper colored body. the head settles slowly and leaves thick lace on the glass.

S - Spicy, herbal hops with distinct notes of jasmine, rosemary, and lemongrass. Some sweet malt with notes of candied ginger in the background as well as a hint of sugary smoke.

T - Sweet, biscuity malt up front with a note of sweet smoke and ginger, kind of reminds me of teriyaki beef or something. Some orange and lemon hop notes in the middle with more light smoke and caramel/toffee malt. The spicy characteristics multiply in the finish with notes of jasmine, rosemary, ginger, lemongrass, soy, and orange peel. Lingering orange and lemongrass hop character with sugary toffee malt and moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-thick body, moderately high carbonation, and a fairly sweet finish.

D - When I saw this on the shelf at my local bottle shop, it sounded odd but at the same time too interesting to pass up. I was kind of reluctant to buy it and didn't really expect much, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The smoke interacts with the hops in some really interesting ways and creates flavors that I have rarely, if ever, tasted in a beer before. The sweet, toffee malt backbone provides a perfect counterbalance for both the smoke and the malt and softens both in a way that allows them to meld together quite well. The pervading notes of orange, ginger, and lemongrass kind of remind me of Thai cooking in a non specific way and the lemongrass in particular is remenicent of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace. I didn't think smoke and hops would work, but they do and rather spectacularly at that!

3.18/5  rDev -21.5%

My first try of the Georgia Theater series.Poured into an imperial nonic a slight hazed brass color with a thinner frothy white head that held thruought the entirety of the session.Aromas of hardwood smoke and resiny hop,it starts out well but there is a slight off briney element that is more pronounced on the palate.Flavors have a geen olive-like briney note to them it sorta overtakes the decent resiny profile,the smoke is to much intertwined with the brine component to make a huge difference.I have to say its a bit of a mess flavor wise,the smoke and hops make for a strange mix that dont work very well for me.

3.87/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bottle

A- Bottle number 2002 marked on the label. Pours a nice amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma features some smoked malt, caramel, and some citrusy hops. The aroma is pretty solid, but I do wish the smokiness and the hops were cranked up a little more.

T- The taste immediately hits your tastebuds with flavor. There is some smokiness up front with some malt as well. The hops kick in shortly after and linger well into the finish. There is also quite a bit of warmth in the finish from the alcohol, at times maybe a little too much.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a solid brew that is worth a try. I enjoy both smoked beers and DIPAs so this was a no brained for me.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured a clear, orange/amber color with a modest, fluffy white head to it. The head retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left some decent lacing.

The aroma has a lot of bright, citrusy, tropical fruit, pineapple juice type flavors coming through. I get some peach and mango as well but pineapple is the strongest. Behind the tropical, fruity hoppiness I get some of the roasted, burnt, smoky flavor. The hoppy and smoky flavors mix a lot better then I anticipated actually. I really liked the hoppiness it had, and the smoky notes just added some great complexity that really put it over the top for me.

The starts off with the hoppy, juicy, citrusy, tropical fruit flavors. It's sweeter at first, and then gets a little more bitter towards the finish. Once you get to the finish the roasty, smoke flavor comes through more and adds some very cool flavors to the bitter finish. Everything came together very nicely and really worked.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate. Drinkability was good, it was a very cool and good beer overall. I really liked how the smoke wasn't overpowering and just added some more subtle flavors in the finish. The flavors really integrated pretty well. I thought that this was going to be a tough beer to pull off, but Terrapin really nailed the flavors in this one. I can't say I prefer a smoked IPA over a good regular one yet, but I give a lot of credit to Terrapin for getting these strong flavors from opposite sides of the spectrum to blend into such a drinkable beer.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

Poured to a tulip from bomber. Hazy pale amber, with a decent head that persists as a thin layer to the bottom of the glass. Aroma is strong grapefruit from hops, followed by other tropical fruit. Very low sweet malt aroma, and a low woody aroma. Smoke is essentially not present.

Taste resembles aroma, with additional complexity. The grapefruit and tropical fruit dominate the flavor, with a strong, high hop bitterness which lasts well into the finish. The smoke first comes off as a woody flavor that is quite enjoyable. The true smoke character builds somewhat as the beer warms, but never reaches the level I was hoping for.

Moderately high carbonation and medium body, with a long dry, hoppy finish. Very drinkable and a fine IPA, but the smoke gets lost in the hop dominant features. Great concept for a beer, but smoke needs to be more forward to make me want to seek another.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Coppery-russet gold with a finger at most of white head. Almost no lacing on the glass, and beer appeared to have a middling viscosity in the glass. Nobody's going to see this dropped in front of you at the bar and instantly want one, but it looks as good as the average DIPA.

S: Some smoke in the nose, though it's more about the piny hop aromas. While it's not quite the citrus grove, shaded by a mighty pine forest, smelled through a window with an herb garden growing right below it that is the ultimate DIPA aromatherapy experience, the slight smoke note makes it more intriguing than most whiffs of beer.

T: To borrow from a friend's reaction to hearing about this beer, smoke and hops seem to be a zero-sum flavor game, where the addition of one would take from the other. To some extent this was true, but it's amazing how much of both flavors made it into the glass. The sticky, piny hop notes of a lovely DIPA coexist with the perfect touch of smokiness. Terrapin truly accomplished everything they set out to do with this fairly daring beer.

M: At the bottom-most rung of the "chewy" range. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: The subtlety that keeps the different flavors from overrunning each other in this beer also make it a wonderfully easy beer to drink with food, in this case a chorizo/beef burger.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

appearance: more on the golden apprearnce for an IPA, lacing head

smell: nice hop presence, citrus, but where's the smoke?

taste: great hop, citrus flavor, more balanced than I would have thought. smoke is there but on the back, sublte. nice woody flavor. maybe it will get more intensity when it warms.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: Yeah, Terrapin is back. Well done. Nice impy IPA with sublte smoke flavor, not overpowering but could have used a little more.

Poured a transparent golden brown with good head and lace. A citricy aroma as the hops are pronounced and also spice and some wood malt for a strong nose. Medium-bodied and chewey, this beer passes smooth with a biscuity feel and has a great piney hop bitterness kick so it is well-balanced. I find that as I drink it finishes dry, almost into rauchbier material, but not as smokey but just dry malts as well as the hops; finishes pleasantly crisp and I find that there's a touch of sticky sweetness on the backend as well.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured a semi clear amber/brown with nice head and excellent lacing.

The smell is more on the citrus side with orange but overall smells damn fresh.

The taste blows me away (I must say I am a sucker for smoked beers though). Fruity as hell IPA then the slight alcohol come in on the finish and its a perfect blend.

I wish I could always drink this beer! The high ABV blends so well although I do wish it was less because Im such a light weight.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

Big thanks to GatorBeerNerd for this bottle! In-person trade at SC '11 release.
Bottle #1,376. 22oz bottle poured into a tall tulip.

This one pours out a faintly-cloudy deep orange with a finger-width white head on top. Minor bits of lace cling to the glass. The aroma starts out with notes of grapefruit and mango. The smoke sneaks in at the end, but once it comes through, it's all I can smell. Charred wood, bacon, smoke. There it is. I like the melding of citrus and smoke more than I thought I would.

The mouthfeel on this beer is a big downside. This is thin; carbonation is lacking, and it is just too slick for the "bigness" of this beer. More bite! The citrus tones that I got in the nose carry over to the flavor, but are masked much more by the smokiness of this one. It's not overpowering as a Rauchbier would be though. Smoked meats, malts, and alcohol warmth finishes it out. The booze gets to me a bit. I don't know. This is an interesting stab at a new style, but I think it can be a bit messy at times. I'm glad I tried it though. Thanks again, Donnie.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Golden orange in color, nice off white head at the top that leaves a nice retention of lacing around the glass.

S - Strong hop hints, citrus as well as strong grapefruit notes. Some smokiness throughout.

T - One of the weirdest brews I have tasted to date, very very smokey, felt like I was drinking beer with a bbq wing dipped in it. Very nice hints of citrus up front finish was very smokey and a bit of booze.

M - Medium Bodied with perfect abundance of carbonation

D - Not my type of Double Ipa, but not bad for a one time try, good job by terrapin!

3.36/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into my glass. Thanks to dmunroe for another limited release from Terrapin. A smoked DIPA, sounds unusual, here we go.

A - This pours an almost clear golden orange with a finger worth of creamy white head, which quickly recedes and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S - Wow, lots and lots of smoke. The aroma of smoke actually hits you while pouring this. Some pale malts and some citrus hops trying to peek thru the smoke.

T - This is interesting. This is smoke foward, like a campfire or some smoked meat. The smoke somewhat hides the hop bitterness until the end. Again some citrus hops trying to peek thru, primarily grapefruit. The smokiness last throughout.

M - Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style with nice carbonation.

D - The smoky DIPA just may not be my thing. A good well made beer, but was difficult getting used to the smoke. Without the smoke this maybe a hell of a beer. The smoke hid the bitterness from the hops which I tend to like. One bomber is enough in one sitting.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast