Terrapin Hoptaneous Combustion - Terrapin Beer Company

to view more.
Ratings: 54 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by beerdown77:
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

This poured orange with a little head. It had a strong sweetness, I tasted fabric and band-aid glue. It also had dark cereal flavors with heavy maltiness. Let's be honest, you order a beer like this knowing that it is a rarity. This isn't something that you keep on hand. I've tried it once, and that's good enough for me. It was a tolerable double IPA.

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

My first try of the Georgia Theater series.Poured into an imperial nonic a slight hazed brass color with a thinner frothy white head that held thruought the entirety of the session.Aromas of hardwood smoke and resiny hop,it starts out well but there is a slight off briney element that is more pronounced on the palate.Flavors have a geen olive-like briney note to them it sorta overtakes the decent resiny profile,the smoke is to much intertwined with the brine component to make a huge difference.I have to say its a bit of a mess flavor wise,the smoke and hops make for a strange mix that dont work very well for me.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz into a Terrapin Pint Glass. Bottle #1334.

This entry into the Theater Series pulls on my heartstrings. I enjoyed many great shows at the theater, so a smoked beer representing the fire strikes a sad chord with me. That said, I don't take it too seriously. It is all done for the benefit of the theater, after all.

Pours a clear golden with a thin barely off white head. Carbonation bubbles float lazily to the top o the glass, not in any hurry to escape.

Aroma is sweet & spicy. Doesn't smell like any IPA I've ever had, but then again this might be the world's first smoked DIPA. I could be wrong, though.

The smoke is a major player in the flavor profile. It's almost like hoppy bacon. Very slight crisp bitterness on the back end. No sign of the 9%+ ABV.

Drinks very nicely, especially for a hybrid style. All too often, these types of beers turn into trainwrecks. This one is worth a look. I probably would have called it a pale rauchbier, but Smoked DIPA sounds sexier. Give it a shot if you have a chance.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

On-tap at Cypress St. Pint and Plate in Atlanta.

Pours a clear light copper color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts with large amounts of tropical fruit hops. Also present are slightly herbal notes and very faint smoke.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by large amounts of tropical fruit and citrus hops. Midway through the sip the tropical fruit fades a bit and allows slightly herbal hops to join the citrus flavors. Near the end of the sip a slight bite comes in from the deeper malts, carrying through to a moderately bitter finish. Every third sip or so a hint of smoke makes an appearance.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this is by far my favorite beer from the Theatre series. Robust hops that accentuate the soft malt bill all joined by very light smoke to add to the complexity. A very interesting beer that's well worth a shot.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz bottle

A- Bottle number 2002 marked on the label. Pours a nice amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma features some smoked malt, caramel, and some citrusy hops. The aroma is pretty solid, but I do wish the smokiness and the hops were cranked up a little more.

T- The taste immediately hits your tastebuds with flavor. There is some smokiness up front with some malt as well. The hops kick in shortly after and linger well into the finish. There is also quite a bit of warmth in the finish from the alcohol, at times maybe a little too much.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a solid brew that is worth a try. I enjoy both smoked beers and DIPAs so this was a no brained for me.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

It pours a vibrant orange with a clear body. The head was magnificant and the lacing is some of the best I've seen in a long while with cascading layers.

An interesting smell, to say the least. Grapefruit and lilac for the hops. There's a pine aspect to it, but not in a resinous hoppy way, in a wood way.

Those same citrus and floral hops are predominant in the taste as is the smoke. The smoke brings a dry, yet not bitter flavor to it. As such, the finish is dry. It has a solid sweet malt backbone.

Extraordinary carbonation backed by the dry smoke gives it a unique mouthfeel.

I could see this being a "love it or hate it" beer. I fall on the love it side and would highly recommend it.

3.67/5  rDev -10%

On-tap at Brewvival 2011

Pours a nice glowing gold with a creamy white head. Supposed to be a smoked IPA, but I can't really detect any smoke. Fairly typical IPA aromas of caramel, grapefruit, and pineapple with a definite "different" flavor, but I dunno if I'd guess that it was smoked. Tastes like a normal imperial Terrapin IPA. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Decently drinkable, but the smoke it the "schtick", and I'm not getting any.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

on tap at barelys i was happy to be able to have a pint and not have to buy the bottle of this one.

amber color being presented to me right away. There was some haze and cloudiness to it, but to be honest, I was surprised by how clear it was for being unfiltered. There was a nice three finger high head of white foam that capped the top

surprisingly well balanced, with a good bit of malt welcoming me as well as a barrage of citrus hops right off the top. Nice bready and sugary tones were out first, but then quickly replaced by a piney hop sensation, which itself was replaced in turn by a slightly more acidic grapefruit like aroma. Very floral, I was really liking what I was seeing here. bready malt flavor was the first thing I noticed but this was washed away by the floral hops almost all at once. Nice rich pine flavors coming into play, but nothing really becoming detrimental to my palate here, this was remarkably well blended. Nice orange like hints working through with hints of grass and grain all around them. A strong finish capped it off with more then adequate drying and a sticky pine like flavor that lasted well into the net sip.

One of the thicker big IPA's I have had, it avoided becoming overly done and syrup like by keeping a nice carbonation profile kicking

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into my glass. Thanks to dmunroe for another limited release from Terrapin. A smoked DIPA, sounds unusual, here we go.

A - This pours an almost clear golden orange with a finger worth of creamy white head, which quickly recedes and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S - Wow, lots and lots of smoke. The aroma of smoke actually hits you while pouring this. Some pale malts and some citrus hops trying to peek thru the smoke.

T - This is interesting. This is smoke foward, like a campfire or some smoked meat. The smoke somewhat hides the hop bitterness until the end. Again some citrus hops trying to peek thru, primarily grapefruit. The smokiness last throughout.

M - Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style with nice carbonation.

D - The smoky DIPA just may not be my thing. A good well made beer, but was difficult getting used to the smoke. Without the smoke this maybe a hell of a beer. The smoke hid the bitterness from the hops which I tend to like. One bomber is enough in one sitting.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to Lillie1128 for this bottle!

We need more brewers crazy enough to add smoke to random styles like DIPAs and whatnot, dammit! Trust me. This experiment in proving me right (as if that was even needed here) pours a clear auburn-amber topped by a finger or so of rich cream foam. The nose comprises soft pine needles, mesquite smoke, dry-ish caramel, and a light touch of pineapple flesh. Everything melds so well here, you'd think they were all of one scent (something like that, anyway...). The taste holds notes of sweet/buttery toffee, light mesquite smoke, very light char, spicy greens, and a spar between light maple syrup and light pine resin in the very back that only makes its presence known once everything vacates the area down the throat. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and the lightest possible syrupy feel. Overall, a tasty beverage, indeed, but one that I think loses sight of the smoke when it really needs it: in the taste. I think a thicker, heavier smoke would have popped nicely. While this dearth is noticeable and detrimental, it doesn't detract enough to make this beer anywhere near unpleasant. In other words, good times regardless.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

My wife picked me up a bomber of this while she was out grocery shopping...no golden ticket for me. I poured the beer into a tulip, and the beer pours a bright, surprisingly light, clear, rose-tinted yellow-gold coloring with a huge frothy, foamy, chunky, big bubbled, off-white head. Nose is a heavy, strong, bold dose of resinous, wet hops. This smells like a big old glass of green, and I am ready! There are some very slight meaty notes that sneak in at the end of the nose, but you have to get in pretty deep in the glass to get anything but the hops. The beer is a round and robust bodied brew, and the flavors are initially a pepper spiced bevy of hops flavors, with a strong does of wet, resinous hops, but also some dry, spicy hops as well. Good malt presence to balance all the green in the glass, and slightly smokey at the back of the tongue and in the sinuses. The beer is robust and full in mouth, and it carries a mild, malty sweet and slightly peppered aftertaste to it. The beer has a dry, hopped bitter finish that lingers a bit. Very tasty. This is a decent beer!

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Hoptomic. The brew pours a bright golden hue, slightly hazed, and is capped with a big pillowy off-white froth that deposits rings of lace. Delicious smoked notes emanate from the glass, complementing fruity and woody hoppiness and sweet sugar-cookie malt; the nose is tremendously well-apportioned. The flavor shows many traits common to DIPA, such as a fairly sweet sugar-cookie malt and a boatload of fresh and pungent hops that contribute immense citric-tangerine, catty-dank and floral bitterness; all of this is delivered with an additional suggestion of smoked ham. It is important to note that the smoke is never overwhelming, nor is it understated, though it is also a tad on the medicinal side. The smoke nuance is delivered in a proportion that is quite a bit like the Schlenkerla Lager. Nice feel; soft and lighter-bodied for a DIPA. Overall, I am a huge fan of this beer. I find it to be interesting, delicious and just all-around very good.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright orange color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a small amount of foamy, quickly dissipating head. Good lacing.

S: A nice, but not too big, aroma of citrus, hops, malt, and a certain amount of smokiness.

T: Tasted of hops, grapefruit, malt, and the smoky/burnt wood flavor. Definitely an interesting flavor that deviates from the usual DIPA template. Complex and flavorful.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a surprisingly dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This beer probably won't appeal to everyone, but it's still pretty tasty and drinkable in my opinion.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Golden orange in color, nice off white head at the top that leaves a nice retention of lacing around the glass.

S - Strong hop hints, citrus as well as strong grapefruit notes. Some smokiness throughout.

T - One of the weirdest brews I have tasted to date, very very smokey, felt like I was drinking beer with a bbq wing dipped in it. Very nice hints of citrus up front finish was very smokey and a bit of booze.

M - Medium Bodied with perfect abundance of carbonation

D - Not my type of Double Ipa, but not bad for a one time try, good job by terrapin!

4.49/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A 22oz bomber bought in Atlanta poured into a couple of snifters. I think it cost around $12.

Appearance (3.5): Slight hazy dark orange or light copper. Small head from a soft pour and a slight film remains with a small ring with some bubbles. Not much lacing either.

Smell (4.5): Almost smells more like an oaked IPA at first, but when you pay attention, the smoke is definitely there although not overpowering. Some floral citrus with orange, grapefruit and maybe a touch of passionfruit. A bit of caramel sweetness melds well with the subtle smoke. Very well integrated which is what this beer is all about to me.

Taste (4.5): Fruity upfront with a strong crystal presence. Some sweetness but well balanced out my a fairly strong but smooth bitterness. Very easy drinking and smooth with the smoke only coming around in the finish. The bitterness peaks in the middle but isn't harsh at any point and dissipates in the finish. The orange and grapefruit stick around a bit in the finish as well, but this is where the smoke shines.

Mouthfeel (5): Very soft and smooth. Medium to high bodied and low to medium carbonation.

Overall (4.5): I was looking forward to this one and it did not let down at all. The amount of smoke was perfect to complement the aromatic hops (not dominant either) and the well balanced slight sweetness and smooth bitterness. A very well done, well integrated beer which says a lot as it is fairly complex with lots of strong flavors.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%

The near-legendary KP grabbed a bottle of this in Atlanta today to add to our New Year's tasting. So here we go. A smoked IPA? Can't say I have thought about smoking an IPA...

A. Shockingly clear, rich, translucent gold. Ultra-filtered. Low white head dies and flees to the edges. No lace.

S. Big citrus hop, booze, pale malt sweetness. Normal American DIPA... Reminds me of Terrapin's own Hopzilla - but then, there's that smoke... hmm... hints of Canadian bacon, woodsmoke. Interesting... I like it.

T. Same deal - at first this is a hoppy, citrus grapefruit bomb, very clear and refined, but it takes your brain a second to register the subtle smoked malt. It's not overwhelming, and at first I thought it was insubstantial, but as I drink more of this I think the level of smoke is exactly where it needs to be. This is a good DIPA with smoke malt, not a smoked beer that is overhopped. A weird beer, for sure, and memorable, and tasty.

M / D. Decently rich, the 9.3% is believable. Smoked malt flavor lingers briefly into the finish.

This is actually quite a successful beer. I wasn't sure what to think of it, but it earns points for general oddness and actually works. Never becomes a chore to drink. I recommend you geeks out there with a penchant for the weird get your hands on some Hoptaneous Combustion while you can.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks to GatorBeerNerd for this bottle! In-person trade at SC '11 release.
Bottle #1,376. 22oz bottle poured into a tall tulip.

This one pours out a faintly-cloudy deep orange with a finger-width white head on top. Minor bits of lace cling to the glass. The aroma starts out with notes of grapefruit and mango. The smoke sneaks in at the end, but once it comes through, it's all I can smell. Charred wood, bacon, smoke. There it is. I like the melding of citrus and smoke more than I thought I would.

The mouthfeel on this beer is a big downside. This is thin; carbonation is lacking, and it is just too slick for the "bigness" of this beer. More bite! The citrus tones that I got in the nose carry over to the flavor, but are masked much more by the smokiness of this one. It's not overpowering as a Rauchbier would be though. Smoked meats, malts, and alcohol warmth finishes it out. The booze gets to me a bit. I don't know. This is an interesting stab at a new style, but I think it can be a bit messy at times. I'm glad I tried it though. Thanks again, Donnie.

22oz bottle.

Pours a crystal clear golden orange with a fluffy white head that recedes slowly to a soapy film and collar. Lacing is decent.

Initial reaction to the aroma is that it's sweet citrus and spicy hops, but upon further inspection, it's the malts that lend a smoky sweetness to the aroma and mixes with some light citrus notes. Interesting...

The taste starts with a hop presence that kinda reminds me of Hopsecutioner, spicy hops, almost herbal with oranges and pineapples. But the hops are swept away by the malts which are sweeter than I was expecting when I saw "smoked" on the label.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and sticky up front but there is an interesting dry smokiness in the finish.

I have to say that Terrapin's last two Georgia Theatre beers are superior to the first two. This is a unique and very tasty DIPA though the smoke is subtle and doesn't overpower the IPA character. Big fan.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

As a music lover this beer is a very cool contribution by Terrapin to its live music community...cheers to help supporting an awesome cause. Plus being a Widespread Panic fan (hence the avatar) I know a lot of good music was played in this theater before it suffered its setback. Big thanks to gford217 for sending this my way and doing his part by contributing to the collaborative effort. Wish I could have held onto this for a while longer, but IPAs are meant for drinking, not sitting in the cellar. On to the beer...

A - pours a nice orange color with a billowing one finger head that has a really nice retention

S - has a nice hoppy bouquet of grapefruit with charred smoke and some bread malts

T - Taste is very similar to the nose. This starts off with a really nice sweet, juicy grapefruit hop flavour that is mixed in with some caramel and bread malt. On the backend and exhale the smokiness of the smoked malt creeps its way into the palate. I feared that this was going to be a smoky mess with subtle hop character; pleasantly, this was the exact opposite. Really nice twist added to your standard DIPA.

M - nice creamy mouthfeel goes down really nicely

D - I think this was a really cool concept of a beer. I really like how Spike took the concept of the fire and applied the idea to a nice IPA with smokiness as a reminder of the charred ash that remained from the destroyed theatre. Cool concept and Terrapin pulled it off well. Time and time again I have a new IPA/DIPA from Terrapin that exceeds expectations, well done!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Coppery-russet gold with a finger at most of white head. Almost no lacing on the glass, and beer appeared to have a middling viscosity in the glass. Nobody's going to see this dropped in front of you at the bar and instantly want one, but it looks as good as the average DIPA.

S: Some smoke in the nose, though it's more about the piny hop aromas. While it's not quite the citrus grove, shaded by a mighty pine forest, smelled through a window with an herb garden growing right below it that is the ultimate DIPA aromatherapy experience, the slight smoke note makes it more intriguing than most whiffs of beer.

T: To borrow from a friend's reaction to hearing about this beer, smoke and hops seem to be a zero-sum flavor game, where the addition of one would take from the other. To some extent this was true, but it's amazing how much of both flavors made it into the glass. The sticky, piny hop notes of a lovely DIPA coexist with the perfect touch of smokiness. Terrapin truly accomplished everything they set out to do with this fairly daring beer.

M: At the bottom-most rung of the "chewy" range. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: The subtlety that keeps the different flavors from overrunning each other in this beer also make it a wonderfully easy beer to drink with food, in this case a chorizo/beef burger.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

appearance: more on the golden apprearnce for an IPA, lacing head

smell: nice hop presence, citrus, but where's the smoke?

taste: great hop, citrus flavor, more balanced than I would have thought. smoke is there but on the back, sublte. nice woody flavor. maybe it will get more intensity when it warms.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: Yeah, Terrapin is back. Well done. Nice impy IPA with sublte smoke flavor, not overpowering but could have used a little more.

Poured a transparent golden brown with good head and lace. A citricy aroma as the hops are pronounced and also spice and some wood malt for a strong nose. Medium-bodied and chewey, this beer passes smooth with a biscuity feel and has a great piney hop bitterness kick so it is well-balanced. I find that as I drink it finishes dry, almost into rauchbier material, but not as smokey but just dry malts as well as the hops; finishes pleasantly crisp and I find that there's a touch of sticky sweetness on the backend as well.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Consumed 1/4/11 Bottle numbered 2893, text says it's the "Last blast in the Georgia Theater Sessions." Let's see!

Poured into a Terrapin Brewery pint glass

A: Pours an un-menacing bright clear yellow. Sunny and friendly to the look of it. An aggressive pour yields a nice two finger head. A few bubbles of carbonation float up from the bottom of the glass. Even at 9.3%ABV, this beer sticks to my glass. Nice.

S: As a habit, I always take a quick whiff of the CO2 wisps when I crack a new bottle. No smoke detected from this, just some hop goodness. Once poured, I detect a lot of hops, again. I'm not familiar with smoked beers, so maybe the hops are covering something more subtle I can't find.

T: YOWZA! Yes, there's definitely something going on here now! At first, there's the typical prickle of bitterness on the tongue, followed by some juicy hop citrus. However, then a sticky smoke swirls around my tongue and seems to lie there in the aftertaste. I really think the smoke does a good bit for this beer. If you had served it to somebody blind, they'd probably call this a spicy amber or something with a lot of rye malt. The smoke gives it a kick, forming a bridge between hops and malt during the tasting process. It's a very nice ride from sip to swallow. This would go absolutely wonderfully with spicy barbeque!

F: Very chewy! It's above medium, pretty syrupy. The smoke and hops combine for a delightful tingle on the sides and back of the tongue that lasts after each sip. I could have used a bit more carbonation I think, but I think this suits the smoked IPA pretty well. Slightly thicker than Jai Alai IPA, which I consider pretty chewy.

D: The ABV, hops, and wonderful smokiness are all very welcome for one bottle, but I don't know if I could drink much more in a night. At $13, I realize it's for a good cause, but I don't know if I'll seek it out again.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Unfortunately, no golden ticket. I have bottle 2619.

A - A clear golden color. Tall head and solid lace retention on the glass.

S - Very hoppy, like expected with a double IPA. However, the smokey malts are very noticeable. Nice! Citrusy flavors and fruits up front, bitterness at the back. Smoky flavors throughout.

T - Like it was intended, an awesome smoky double IPA.

M - Very smooth. Plenty carbonated.

D - Excellent. I raise my glass to the memory of the GA Theatre and all of the Terrapin's I have enjoyed there over the years with good bands!

3.56/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Not sure how old this is is it was received in a mystery box from a friend in Georgia.

Appearance: Pours deep hazy gold color with not much head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Aroma is of faintly smoked alcohol. Not much happening in the nose for me.

Taste: I definately taste the smoke first. It isnt over the top alcohol like the nose would suggest either. The hoppy part of this beer is in the background and there is definately a strong caramel sweetness. There are a lot of flavors clashing in this beer. Not sure which one to point. I guess its kind of sweet and smoky at the same time with hop presense but not much bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A little on the underattenuated side for my tastes but not neccesarily for the style.

Overall: Solid beer but not one I would probably seek out a ton. I am glad I am splitting this bomber with my wife, Im not sure I could drink two pints of it in one sitting.

to view more.