Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-05-2010

1.96/5  rDev -45.6%

Bottle bought from Sam's at the pre-WBF party.

A - coppery clear pour. Very small head that dissipates. No lacing to speak of (first warning).

S - Just...bad. For a beer called "So Fresh and So Green Green" it neither smells fresh nor green - very, very little hops in the aroma at all. A little biscuity malt and the faintest whiff of hops. As the score says, I am not impressed.

T - more of the same, but somehow worse. No hops. This beer can't be that old, either for the new batch. Drainpour. It had no hops and very little malt - just watery.

M - eh, it was ok. Carbonation wasn't off or anything.

Overall, just bad. I sincerely hope it was just this bottle. It's gotta be, right? There's no way they'd put out this kind of beer with no hop presence. (760 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -44.7%

Poured into a snifter on 11/5/10

Courtesy of PDXHops

Dull copper/amber color with slight golden highlights. It is pretty clear, though. Poured one finger of foam & a bunch of soapy-looking bubbles. Over time the foam thins, though the bubbles remain. Decent lace.

Green, Green smells really weird for a fresh hop ale. Murky; not at all lively. Very grassy & vegetal with stray floral notions. Hints of rotten orange rind peak in from time to time. Upon opening the bottle I smelled bread; it's definitely strong in the back, as is a dusty yeast note.

Everything about the taste is muddled. The hops offer a near indistinguishable clump of minimally bitter pine, vegetation, watery juice & tea leaves. Citrus isn't really appreciable. Musty yeast & bread notes. Astoundingly bland.

Very thin, watery feel. Carbonation is quite low. Each sip is gone in a flash; nothing about the beer makes it hang around, even for a moment (not a bad thing, in this instance). Finishes with hints of flora, vegetables, bread & the faintest bitterness.

Aside from the weird aroma, the taste & feel are just thin & bland. The second glass is also kind of soapy. I just can't get down with this one. The last third went down the drain. (1,221 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -43.6%

Major league disappointment - weak and thin and lacking in anything that speaks of fresh hops. Pours clear amber with a fluffy white head. The aroma is essentially absent, which surprised me a great deal. At least until I tasted it, which explains a lot. The flavor is weak to the point of watery, like a poorly steeped sun tea: there is a little whiff of wheaty malt, but sorely lacking in substance. The hops are disaster - weak and tea-like with no serious aroma or flavor and a very mild tannic bitterness. This is the worst excuse for a fresh hop beer I have encountered. (576 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -42.8%

Bomber poured into an oversized snifter. See-thru amber with a skim of head and small collar of foam that manages to leave some scattered specks of lacing.

Coming from the PNW, I've been lucky enough to try a ton of of wet hop ales, and I know how wonderful they can smell. This certainly doesn't smell bad, but is a bit on the tame side. Moderately herbal and floral, with a vague maltiness.

Strange-tasting brew. A sharp initial bitterness quickly turns into a metallic flavor that threatens to drown out anything else. Herbal and grassy hop flavors do a decent job at fighting for attention, but it's that metallic flavor that lingers. On the positive side, malt sweetness is definitely kept in check. Some nuttiness lingers with the metal in the finish.

Overall impression: Pretty much a mess. Can't recommend this one. (826 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -40%

What a let down. I really enjoy most of the Terrapin brews, but this was a huge disappointment. Hops taste old and muted, there is nothing "green" about this beer. Color is standard, pale, whispy white foam, large inconsistent bubbles, head dissipates very quick. Aroma is absent, stale hops, smells like a wet burlap sack. Flavor is bleh, challenger hops, not my first choice. Really, a lackluster beer. I bought two so I could send one to a friend in California, but I am doing him a favor by struggling through this second bottle to write this shitty review. Try again with some good hops next year, please Terrapin. (619 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I feel like I am being overly generous with my review of this obviously apparent heavy malt backbone "ipa" seeing that it is only slightly hoppier than most british IPA's. The smell is extremely lacking in an IPA that I would suggest nor imbibe religiously while the taste is like that of a false nutty caramel. Overall, very disappointed with this 'ipa' from what I have come to expect from Terrapin Brewing. (409 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured this thing into your run o' the mill pint glass and observed a fairly decent color (ambery copper) under a quickly diminishing yet frothy off-white head. Nose was very grassy and lent hope to a similar taste but the hops, while present and sharp, faded out of taste real quick. What was left was an extremely thin beer with almost no malt backbone whatsoever. (366 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into a pint.

Appearance: Very light appearing, much more so than I would have though.

Smell: Really earthy, more like british hops rather than american citrus hops. Not that this is necessarily bad...

Taste: Definitely not overwhelmed with hops like I was hoping.

Mouthfeel: Missing. A severe lack of carbonation and body.

Drinkability: I am usually a huge fan of Terrapin brews, but this one was really disappointing. (448 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

Aroma:I get some green hops in the aroma, but it's mild. There is also a little some sweet malt aroma.

Appearance:Amber in color. Low head with poor retention.

Taste:Strong grapefruit flavor in the foretaste, lasting through the aftertaste as grapefruit rind. The aftertaste is also a little sickly sweet.

Mouthfeel:The hop astringency is prominent in this beer. The bittnerness lends acrid mouth puckering feelings.

Drinkability:I don't know how fresh this bottle was, it seemed to lack the kind of kick that fresh hops should provide, with some of the raw green notes that I do expect in a fresh hop beer. (611 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

22oz bomber, bottled Sept 30, 2010 (per the case stamp).

Pours clear amber with a one finger off-white head that fades quickly to a light wispy cap and only leaves a few spots of lacing.

Aroma is fairly weak, but does feature some grassy, earthy, floral hops, a bit of citrus, and some sweet bready malt, starts to pick up a bit of a medicinal note as it warms up.

Flavor is also fairly weak with some floral and grassy hops, some caramel malt and bread. Mild bitterness & mild sweetness. Finishes dry and watery.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slick, low to medium carbonation.

Pretty meh...especially for $8 a bottle, but the bright side is that is makes me look forward even more to the Sierra Nevada Harvest awaiting in the fridge along with my last two bottles of the amazing Founders Harvest Ale.

Does get a bit better as it warms but is still unremarkable particularly if it is going to be categorized as an IPA (seems more like an APA to me, and even then it's weak sauce...) (995 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

Had a pint at Liberty St. Tavern and didn't bother finishing the glass. It wasn't very hoppy and there was a strong, vaguely cheesy off flavor. Has this been sitting out too long, maybe with an infection run a muck? There was a little smooth ester character and a touch of grapefruit, but not much. Watch out for this one. (322 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

22oz. Amber pale with not as much hops in the nose as I expected. Taste was, immeadiately, off my expectations as well. Sweeter than I ever want in a 6something% IPA. Way out-of-balance. Where's my huge citrus bite? There's way better Fresh Hop ales out there. (260 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a clear bright freshly buffed copper color with thumb sized off white head that falls with some lace.

Aroma is nice fresh hops lots of pine needles with under lying orange peels. Aroma is about all hops not much malt noted underneath.

Taste is not as nice as aroma its all hops little to hot not nice and piny and bitter like most IPA's. Not sure whats going on ABV is only 6.6% so why is it tasting like hops dipped in paint thinner? Kind of reminds me of Simpsons episode where they were making wine with antifreeze.

Mouthfeel is light side of medium little to fizzy.

Drinkability is well don't waste your money i debated buying this after my last Terrapin special release, hell could be drinking a great beer for the same price. Not sure whats going on Terrapins regular beers are great, but past two special releases have blown. (843 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. I wanted to get my hand on this one when it first came out finally found it just wish I could have had it fresh.

A: Poured a murky amber with a small tan head that dissipated quickly.

S: Little to no Hop smell came through to me, but a lot of maltyness.

T: Taste was the same as smell very little to no Hop flavor. I am hoping this is due to the fact that this was a little on the old side by the time I found it.But the malty flavor that came through was very smooth and tasty.

M: A medium bodied smooth drinking beer that was a little heavy on carbonation.

O: I wish I could have tasted this fresh cause I probably would have tasted a completely different beer, but that is what I get for buying an IPA that was released about 8 months ago. Just couldn't pass up a Terrapin Beer that made reference to Outkast. (857 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a bomber into my trusty snifter. could not find a date on the bottle, but it's labeled "2011 Challenger Hops"...

A: Pours light copper in color...kind of a burnt orange with sunset effect in the glass when held to different lights. Minimal head that faded pretty fast. Clear as can be with a fair amount of bubbles shooting up through it.

S: Sweet fruity hop nose. Definitely a bit muted...might be due to the age on the bottle, but is also probably attributable to the wet hops used. Not much else in the way of aroma.

T: Not as much bitterness up front as I would have wanted - in fact, there was barely any. Again, the taste is muted and actually gives you more caramel malt notes at the front of the palate. The taste seems a little empty to me. There is a very faint soapy hop bitterness, but not the fruity notes that I got in the nose. A little bit of a fresh cut grass thing going on here, perhaps.

M: Definitely on the thin side. Pretty highly carbonated. Not bad, but nothing special. Very easy-drinking beer.

O: Just not very impressive. Not ultra familiar with this hop variety, but I've had much better wet-hopped/hop harvest ales. Again, it just doesn't have anything that pops. The nose is weak as is the taste. Terrapin can and has done better than this. (1,287 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A little weak I thought, I was hoping for something more. Honestly I thought this would be much hoppier since it's a wet hop ale. I honestly didn't get much of a hop flavor at all. Perhaps it's the type of hops they used. The color was a really nice gold and I even though the aroma was pretty nice but this brew just turned out to be a little on the boring side when it comes to hops. (385 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -18.3%

On tap at Galaxy Hut.

Pours an amber copper with a bit of a white head and some rig lacing. Nose is really sling hops and a good dose of Harpoon yeast. Side note: I need to find out what that is. Taste has slight hops with some pale malts. Light body with low carbonation. Drinks well but is not as advertised. (311 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Clear dark orange/amber, very small white head that fades to a thin layer

S- Malt and weak faint hop

T- Watery, weak toasty malt and weak hops. No quality flavors.

M- Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

D- Not impressed by this at all. No smell and no flavors. It's almost a cheap lager. (294 characters)

22oz bottle poured into a dimpled mug

Pours a pretty amber, clean and bright. A two finger ecru cap falls to form a thin collar and leaves some dots of lace behind.

Hmm. Fresh hop IPA? I know this is probably close to two months old, but boy have these hops faded. This is more of a dry hopped lager, not sure what the other reviews say.

The aroma is earthy and musty with a clean, crisp lager yeast like aroma. Some faint oranges and pine are a little difficult to pick out.

On the palate, this guy is very similar to the nose. Clean and crisp throughout with some earty spice up front. Orange rind and pine needles come through in the finish. Some lingering juicy orange.

Medium body, clean and crisp on the finish. This truly reminds me of a dry hopped lager and not a wet hop ipa.

A nice beer that I think a little age hurt. Still, if this was intended to be a fresh hop lager, this is well above average. But as a fresh hop ipa, this is short of middle of the road. (976 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -15%

22oz bottle that my girlfriend got in a case from her beer club at work. We ended up splitting the bottle. Only date on the bottle is "2011 Challenger Hops".

Copper colored beer that poured a two finger off-white fluffy head. As the head went away, it left behind some nice sticky lacing.

Light grassy hops with some tiny notes of lemon. Sweet malt seems pretty prevalent to me.

Surprisingly malty for the style. I'm not saying that it wasn't hoppy, because it was. There was a grassy and spicy hoppiness that was nice and mellow, but I was expecting it to be a bit more pronounced. Is it because of the hops used? Is it because I waited so long to drink this fresh hopped ale? I don't know. Either way, meh.

Standard body and carbonation for an IPA. The finish was nice and clean.

This was a big let down in the hop department, and that was the biggest surprise to me. It was easy to drink, so I have to give it that. I'd try it in the future if they end up brewing this again and changing the hops, but until then, I don't plan on buying another bottle. (1,060 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -15%

Been sorta disappointed with the Terrapin Limited Release series lately.. Let's hope this one changes my opinion...

Crystal clear amber with a fluffy foamy head... Looks pretty good...

Balanced aromas here... Not enough hops for a fresh hop ale really... Its balanced for sure but it shouldn't be...

More balance here which I guess is okay but not what I'm looking for in a fresh hop ale... No oily resiny hoppiness present but rather a blend of the malts and hops...

Ok overall.. Nothing to write home about..decent (521 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks goes out to mackey20 for this great extra!

A: Translucent and amber in color with a 1.5 finger white head that has moderate retention and nice lacing.

S: This is not a very strong smelling beer. I had to dig very deep into this beer to find a little bit of citrus hops. There's some acetone acidity up front with a little bit of citrus behind, but not even enough to pinpoint a certain fruit or smell.

T: The taste is that of piney hops with a bit of bitterness at the finish. This is not a hop bomb, but finishes with a nice, appropriate level of bitterness. The flavors up front however, are somewhat lacking and are nowhere near as intense as I would hope for. There's some malt caramel flavor that balances out the piney hops at the start.

M: I felt like this beer could use slightly more carbonation, as I like IPAs to be a little bit more crisp on the palate and this one kind of sat fat and heavy.

D: At 6.6% ABV this is a very drinkable beer, however it is not overly complex or interesting. I feel that while I COULD drink a large amount of this, my desire to do so would not be overly high. (1,112 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a bomber into a Chimay goblet

A- pours a really dark amber with a one finger white head that fades really quickly. Lacing is minimal. Really dark for an IPA, a little offputting. The very basic head is also offputting

S- very mild citrus hops. Not a lot here

T- floral and citrusy but overall, really weak. I got this in October and have had it refrigerated ever since, so the hops couldn't have faded that much, could they?

M- feel is good. A little thick

D- meh. The dullness of everything here is a huge turnoff. I wanted this to be awesome, but it wasn't at all. (583 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

Picked up a 22oz in a trade with a friend in Maryland. Poured into a Modern Times branded pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazed copper hue. Decent head, weak retention, decent lacing. Smell is all grain and bready malt, mild hop presence...what gives??? Taste is like a pale ale...good but not much in the way of hops...especially for a fresh hop ipa - way too much malt! Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied, mild carbonation, finishes dry with slight bitterness from the hops.

Not an IPA. Definitely a fresh hopped pale ale...good for a pale ale, but critiqued as an IPA, which is what it is listed as. In my opinion, this is not a beer that "celebrates the hop".

Skip! (684 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

This beer appears a dark orange color. The head is about a half inch thick and generates a fair amount of lacing. The aroma is a balance of malt and hops, with some sweet scents and a hint of alcohol. So far, it lacks the characteristics typical of the style. The taste is a bit of disappointment as well, and lacks any type of bold hop character. The beer does not taste bad, per se, but I wouldn't even know this was an IPA if it wasn't on the label. There are many better beers out there, IPA or not. I wouldn't recommend this. (570 characters)

Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green from Terrapin Beer Company