Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green - Terrapin Beer Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-05-2010

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

eyes...
a torrent of bubbles feeding a white cap of foam, soapy residue clings to the glass and the storm of carbonation below keeps the head quite afloat, she reveals a slightly hazy orange hue, a very attractive glass o' suds

nose...
surprisingly mellow, some hops in a semi tropical fruit/light pine vein, some malt presence but pretty meek

taste...
again, pretty mellow, would be nice for just your run of the mill american PA with a slightly nicer hop signature on the back end, has a pretty good kick for a medium range ABV and a nice bitterness lingering around the barn

it drinks right body wise, just enough weight to have some but light enough to be quite drinkable, the carbonation is also right on with just a nice bite adding to the overall feel

verdict?
not a bad beer but not a stunner. a good drinker but then again so are a hundred other beers available year round without the hop-la... get it ? oh man I crack myself up... (944 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Typical IPA like pour with orange amber color and clear body, but carbonation was light and formed a small head at best. The smell was herbal and citric and very nice for this dedicated hop head. After that smell, I was expecting a hoppy assault on the palette, but I got an insipid taste instead. More like a cream ale with a ton of hops than even an APA. What happened to all the malt backing? Nicely bitter, but lacking much depth. Very light across the tongue too. Not in the same league as the Sierra Nevada wet hopped beers. (530 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Bomber into my Narke tulip...Pours a dark but clear copper with a huge tan head, really good retention and lacing. A huge fluffy cupcake icing cap, looks great...For a fresh wet hopped beer I thought the aroma would be exploding with yummy hops, its shockingly muted. Malty caramel, a touch of musky hops, that its, boring!...The taste is equally muted and boring, no flavor. Tastes like a watered down ipa, a quarter ipa, three quarters water. The finish brings a little more hops, nice bitter finish.

Pretty easy to drink, but no flavor, a Bud light IPA. Can't believe this is wet hopped. I would pass on this, MAYBE if on tap. (631 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

2012 Citra Hops
Served in a mug.

A - Clear copper color very little head that dissipated immediately.

S - Strong citrus with a hint of pine

T - Good taste strong citrus hops with a bitter finish, almost too bitter, as you would expect from an IPA very slight hint of alcohol at the end.

M - Light feel slightly flat.

O - Overall a pretty good IPA. Very strong citrus hops which is what Terrapin intended. I felt that the overall flavor could have been better balance. Worth a try. (485 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper with a finger of fluffy off white foam that settles after a few moments.

Smell: Fragrant floral hops, earthy notes and subtle malt aroma.

Taste: Bitter piney hops, grass, I'm picking up some sort of weird apple juice flavor at the end that I'm not digging.

Mouthfeel: The body was too thin I thought with a dry finish.

Drinkability: I thought I'd like this more than I did. The nose was close to being pretty good, but the taste and body killed it for me. Not horrible, but I don't see myself paying the money for this one again. (613 characters)

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass

Pours 1 finger of khaki white head. Good retention with some thick lacing. Color is a clear mahogany copper.

Aroma: Fresh floral/herbal hops. Kind of piney. Orange citrus with some grapefruit. It is pretty fresh and earthy.

Taste: A somewhat decent twist from the nose. Bready malts stick out right away. Kind of has a biscuit flavor as well. Some grassy and pine hops with a bit of citrus blend.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of sticky.

Overall, it is a bit above average fresh hop. It isn't bad, but nothing sticks out very much. Decent drinkability. Half a bomber was a good amount for me. (696 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

One quick review before we're off next door, where there is no motorized vehicle involved in getting home, though it is uphill, unfortunately. Thanks to stormking47 for this bottle, again, with the amount of beer he sent me, I'll be thanking him for a while yet.

Pours a pure copper kettle. Smell is mixed for a fresh hop brew, pale malts with a hint of Metallica, far too little citrus.

So Fresh & So Green Green is false advertising as a fresh hop beer. Fresh malts, perhaps, because they're driving this bus, terrifically sweet up front with lush honey. Hops are secondary, mostly floral & bittering, but they're drowned in the sweetness, which comes rushing back in after the hops pass, quickly. Very sticky, you can discern the resins of the fresh hops - but where did the taste go?

Pretty routine as an IPA, disappointing for a fresh hop. Heavy-handed on the malts, light on the hops, this isn't a bad beer, but it's certainly not what I expected. (959 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%

Got this fresh-shipped at TW here in Alexandria. 22oz bomber.

A: Reddish, coppery gold, clear. Nice 3-finger off-white head, and yes, lots of lacing on my Bells glass. Good amount of carbonation too.

S: Malts, little hops and little fruit/floral. Malts dominate.

T: Too much resins and pines, not enuff fruitiness. I am NOT into pines and resins, I prefer my crafts to have the sweeter, more grapefruit/citrus hop-style like in Pliny. Anyhow, alot of bitterness on the front of the tongue. Probably due to the British Challenger hop variety, instead of some of the sweeter American hop species.

O: Not something I intend to buy again. A wet-hopped beer, but they wet-hopped it with the wrong hops!! At 6.6% ABV, a sessionable beer. I would like to try this more fresh, like on tap... (787 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Terrapin's "So Fresh and So Green", on tap @ The Brick Store served into 4oz tasting glass. Poured a darker than gold hue, kinda cloudy, with a small off white 1/2 finger head. Smells of VERY faint hops, slight malts, really not much on the nose here folks. Tastes very weak, very faint hops, not much here either. Overall a very mild IPA, kinda reminds me of Dundee's IPA. I'm really not that accustom to wet hop IPA's, but i truly believe that this is just not a good example of the style. A mediocre IPA at best. Thumbs sideways here. (537 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

Little darker than I expected. Aroma falls flat for me on this one actually with some alcohol in the nose. With the wet hop variety i don't necessarily expect overpowering hops in the face. Little bit of sweetness would be a good base were there more hops here. There are some pleasant green notes behind this. Mouthfeel is full and could drink a bunch of these but I probably would find something else. (403 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

A small-headed, copper colored beer, this beer has an appealing allure, but balls a bit short. It's aroma is modestly hoppy, not nearly a fresh as I expected, given the name. Fruit, a touch of alcohol, some herbal hoppiness and a touch of resin. Muted. The flavor is similar to the taste, with a bit of pale malt coming forth. Medium body. A bit of warmth, and a dry character in the finish. Could be much better. (413 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -10%

Extra from mikesgroove- Thanks Mike

Appearance- Pours a lovely copper with 3 fingers of off-white head that takes a while to subside.

Aroma- A little bit of citrus but you have to work for it. Some malt sweetness here as well.

Taste- Meh, not much hop here. Lots of sweet malt backbone coming through though, makes me think of a marzen.

Mouth/Drink- Easy drinking. Doesn't leave much residue or aftertaste. Easy to take down a bomber by yourself.

Yes I know this beer is about two months old now so the hops will have faded. But I recently drank a Broo Doo and a High Tide that were roughly the same age and they both held up much better. (643 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -10%

A - A clear copper, color

S - Smells great. The fresh hops are evident

T - The 1st taste is the best. It tastes great when it hits your lips, but it does not pack the typical Terrapin punch/kick at the end. It is missing a bitter bite at the end.

M - Average. Pretty smooth. Not bitter.

D - I could drink several, but unless it put in 6 packs, I will not purchase it again. I think the Hopsecutioner is much better, which you can buy a 6 pack for for the same price (469 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%

thanks to key west for having this available at conch as a single and thank you to TSA for not breaking everything in my suitcase!

A - Cracked the bottle and poured into a duvel tasting tulip. Poured a really nice amber color with a thin pinky of white frothy head. Carbonation was lively and I could see the bubbles racing from the bottom center to the top of the pour. Lacing was semi sticky leaving some ringish clling. Clear and crisp...dare I say, so fresh and so clean clean?

S - Malty hops. One of the maltuer IPAs I've ever smelled. Tamer than most pale ales even. Smelled nice, but not really what I usually look for in an IPA.

T - Again, somewhat like a bitter pale ale. It is odd to have the bitterness without the hoppiness I would usually look for in this kind of brew. I wish there was a bottled on or freshness date since this kind of feels like what I expect an IPA to taste like after the hops flavoring becomes heavily faded. Malty and tame, but not as smooth as something like HoTD's Ruth...but along those lines. I find Ruth to be a relatively tame Pale Ale, but this is an IPA.

M/D - Surprisingly bitter and tingly in the mouth with the almost absent hop presence. An easy drinker but this is no IPA like I'm used to. I tend to expect a big hop profile and this beer is really lacking what in my opinion is the crucial element for the style. The malt backbone is dominating. Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't drink it if I was in the mood for an IPA. (1,472 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked up this bottle as a part of our beer club's latest case split.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my new Duchesse de Bourgogne glass, this beer is deep, clear, vibrant amber color. Not too much head, maybe only a centimeter or so. What little head there was faded pretty quickly, but it did leave behind a little lacing around the glass.

Smell: Fresh hops are certainly there, but in such low amounts that I'm thinking they faded a bit. There's actually more of a bready maltiness to it than hops. I'm hoping I didn't wait too long to open this up.

Taste: Alas, whatever potential this brew may have had appears to have faded away. There is some residual bitterness from the hops, but this quality is muted and overshadowed by the bready malt.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation and a medium body. Basically what I would come to expect from an IPA.

Drinkability: While in its present condition, I don't think I would reach for another one of these. However, if I knew that I would be consuming a fresh bottle I would definitely pick it up and give it another go. (1,072 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass a slight hazed copper /bronze with a nice tight formed one finger white head,some faint pine and light toasted caramel malt notes in the nose,a little tame in my opinion.First thing I noticed when drinking is the near watery feel to the beer,it took away from the flavors,mild pine and citrus hop flavors meld with a biscuity malt base with neither really getting the upper hand.Eh this is not one of the better fresh hop ales out there,its not horrific its just a little to simple I think. (525 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Sampled this in a flight at the Mohawk House in Sparta, NJ. Poured copper/amber with little visible carbonation, and one finger of white head, with great retention and lacing. The nose was one of bitter dry orange peel, with some herbiness in there as well. The taste mirrored the nose, though with a very thin, modestly dry finish. Thin ipa, and much more carbonated than the appearance would suggest. While the feel may make sessioning this beer an easier proposition, I found it to be too one-dimensional, and the thin finish was too obvious to ignore. (555 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Dark looking... evil even! It pours the darkest shade of red-orange I have seen in an IPA in a long time. Especially one that only clocks in at 6.6%. The force is definitely with the carbonation and the head is almost two inches and sticks around for a while, with great retention to boot.

S: Since this is wet-hopped, the nose is strong, floral, and somewhat earthy and the Amarillo is very distinctive.... even at a distance.

T: A bit on the thin side to be honest. The bitterness is so muted in fact, it almost tastes diluted. Nothing really special, and somewhat disappointing.

M: Smooth drinker for sure, the carbonation level is spot on, and there basically is not a sweetening element in this brew. Passable +.

D: The marketing-speak on Terrapin's website states that this is a celebration of the Amarillo hop. I totally get that, but I wish it weren't so expensive for such a one dimensional beer. Good effort, but I wouldn't repeat... (951 characters)

22oz bottle

A- Pours a clear copper color with an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is fresh leafy hops and some malt. I was expecting more hops in the nose, I was a little underwhelmed by the aroma.

T- The taste has some malt up front with a some fresh hop flavors in the finish. The hops are more flavorful than bitter. You can tell the hops are extremely fresh but I would have like to have seen the hops be a little more assertive in both the taste and aroma.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a good solid highly drinkable brew. My only complaint is the hops are not quite as prevalent as I would have wanted. Worth a try. (741 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap at the Drafting Room the other day.

The beer pours an orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. I don't get a whole lot on the nose, just some light orange citrus. It's attractive, but I just wish there was more of it. The flavor profile more or less replicates the nose, though once again there just isn't much to it. There is some fairly decent orange citrus and bitterness, but this beer really comes across as kind of simple, one dimensional, and just very underwhelming. The finish comes across as weak and a bit watery. Drinkability is OK I guess, but there are so many better examples out there of a good, solid, wet hop IPA, I just cannot see myself ever ordering this again. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing in this beer that reflects any wet hopping that might have gone into its making.

Not very impressed... (851 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Pours a deep amber body with a thick, white rocky head.

S: A simple and quiet nose of floral hops with some malts. Expected more of a hoppy nose.

T: Slight bitter & floral hop flavor balanced with sweet malts.

M: Medium-light body, medium carbonation, slightly resin texture.

O: Would never have guess this to be an IPA. Needs to be a bit hoppier. I would drink this again, but I wouldn't pay for it. It was really missing something. (440 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Red amber body, excellent clarity, topped by three fingers of soft white foam.

Aroma seems a mix of the hop spectrum: citrus, pine, and earthy herbal. Inviting and fresh.

A rather mild malt base slides around the mouth. Topped by earthy herbal hops - the pine and citrus in the nose doesn't seem to make it to the tongue.

Sloppy mouthfeel. Good drinkability.

A not bad IPA, but a lot of the nose didn't make it to the tongue. Doesn't carry the big fresh sensation of top notch wet hop ales. Expected more from Terrapin. (524 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Thanks to cdflem for including this as an extra.

Appearance: Filtered, the color is transparently amber, with a touch of ruby in the middle. A fizzy off-white head forms initially but quickly fades to a ring and a few spots on top. Not really any lace.

Smell: A little bit of bready malt and then a long, full pine aroma. Not incredibly strong, but it seems like the wet hops have a more robust aroma.

Taste: Some biscuity malt up front, but the focus is on the robust pine hops. A full and bitter flavor, the wet hop flavor really comes through. I like that the taste really lets the flavor of the wet hops come through, the problems is just that that flavor either isn't amazing or that aspect of the beer is not executed that well. Bitterness builds and sticks around through the finish.

Mouthfeel: It starts crisp on the tongue, with a creaminess coming into play as the sip progresses. A ton of oily hop residue left on the tongue, sort of a paint-peeling effect on the tongue.

Drinkability: This is all right. I haven't had a wet hop beer that I loved yet. The search continues. (1,138 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer has a deep amber color with foamy, but quickly dissolving head. Good lacing. As for the smell, hops are evidently there, but they're not terribly overwhelming. Some citrus. Taste-wise, I was expecting a little more pizzazz. There's a muted bitterness to this medium bodied beer, but it didn't blow me away. In my opinion its still a slightly above average IPA, maybe good for a change of pace every once in a while, but nothing that would drag me away from my current favorites. (488 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear copper color with a 1 finger antique white head of tiny bubbles that slowly settles to form a nice coaster. Mixed nose of both hops and malt with notes of citrus and pine. Medium mouthfeel. Sweet start with a somewhat subtle and not that strong hop presence. Some soapy quality as well in the taste. Nice lace as the beer settles. Even for only 6.6%, the alcohol is present in the flavor. Overall, this is just an ok beer. I wold have liked to see a more prevalent hop forward flavor and nose. (535 characters)

Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green from Terrapin Beer Company