Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk StoutTerrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 10-29-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

From bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 2/11/11
*From notes

A: Rich leathery brown to black, with a nice 1.25 finger head. Minimal lacing remains throughout my tasting.

S: Hints of LBV ruby port and (strangely) feta cheese over gyro meat. As you'd expect it's an awkward pairing, though slight hints of baking chocolate do make an appearance as it warms.

T: It's like an MTV Mash-Up album in beer form. 1% milk over nutra-sweet chocolate. I don't detect any hop oil, though there is a slight trace of toasty malt. In the end it simply doesn't sit well, as the processed sweetner aftertaste doesn't do it for me.

M: The weight is there, but it's overcarbonated. A sweet stout like this should feel creamy, silky and smooth. Instead, it felt like taking two Alka-Seltzers and calling you in the morning.

O: I can't say I was thrilled with this offering from Terrapin. I had been looking forward to this brew for some time, and found myself disspointed in almost every category. I really hope they go back and put some TLC into this one, as the bones are there.

Rhettroactive, Feb 16, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. Wow a lot of people have reviewed this beer considering it is rather new.

A - Really dark brown almost black. a dark tan head at first quickly runs away

S - subtle milk chocolate notes mingle with typical stout aromas. Only negative isa slight metallic hint in the nose. Otherwise solid.

T - Nice sweet milk chocolate flavor. a light roast mingles with coffee flavors but mostly milk chocolate.

M - medium bodied with a bit too much carbonation.

D - Really drinkable. A nice example of a milk stout and the chocolate really is highlighted in this. I wouldn't mind drinking more of this one and think I will.

jpmclaug, Feb 16, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -19.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass , Seasonal 2010 on label

A- poured straight down the center and got about 1 cm of tan head, which disappeared quickly. Looked very oil-like as it was pouring, dark and slick.

S- Smells like chocolate milk, but I also noted a metallic scent to it from both the bottle and the glass. After the chocolateliness there is a roasted malt presence, but it is subdued.

T- tastes roastier than it smells, dark chocolate is there, aftertaste is very much like an unsweetened dark cocoa powder, not unpleasant but I was hoping for more here.

M- Really unexpected here, I was expecting more body here, especially after watching it pour. Feels very dry. Carbonation is good.

D- I'm not overly impressed with this, it seems like a good start to developing a beer, but I feel like it needs something more. Maybe I'm just used to a "bigger" stout. I could drink several of these, but I wouldn't be that excited to.

Franz4, Feb 16, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "Seasonal: 2010" on the side of the label. Thanks to beveritt for procuring and passing this bottle along to me.

A- Essentially black and opaque. Pours with ~1 finger of light brown head, which fades into a thin cap. Sporadic spotty lacing.

S- Lactose rich milk chocolate notes, followed by some slightly acidic coffee. Fairly sweet overall.

T- Roasted malts and coffee, lactose sweetness, and some milk chocolate on the finish. Bitterness is fairly low.

M- Moderate to slightly low carbonation. Slightly watery- a bit too light on the feel, not terrible, but notably detracts from the overall enjoyment of this beer.

D- Good. This is a very easy drinking stout, and would be a good stout to session.

Future outlook: Really enjoyable. I just wish it had a bit more body. Glad to have tried, but it's not available here.

DoctorDog, Feb 15, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to cwguy5 for another Terrapin beer.

Pours a darker colored large almost 2 finger but very fizzy and quick fading head, over a jet black beer.

Nose has plenty of lactose, a nice creamy aroma with some milk chocolate, a bit of hot cocoa, slight toasty malt, light roast and coffee, bit of caramel, and a crisp dry stout aroma.

Taste is smooth and creamy, plenty of lactose again, some creamy milk chocolate, a bit of hot cocoa, slightly rich, a bit of an oatmeal feel, also some caramel, light toasty malts, hints of roast and coffee, very slight bitterness with some sweetness, and slight almost peppermint like flavor. Finishes with a long creamy milk chocolate, light bitterness, and bit of lingering mouth feel, but dry.

Mouth is medium to slightly heavier bodied with lots of creaminess and slight oatmeal feel, light but decent carbonation.

Drink is great, smooth and creamy but rich at the same time, bit of a dry finish, slight bitterness and slight lingering mouth feel.

jlindros, Feb 15, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into my RR tulip from a 12 oz. bottle. Thanks to BucketBoy for the generous trade.

Semi-vigorous pour reveals moderate head with a coffee color. The beer itself is murky and black. When held up to light, it is still murky and black. I like!

Nose is malty, with lots of chocolate and a bit of toasty leather. I initially served it straight from the fridge, and I think the flavor and aroma both improved as the beer approached room temperature.

Taste is very smooth with no bitterness. Malty and round, with a bit of an iron character in the finish. I enjoy the complexity and the way the flavor evolves.

Mouth is light, instantly effervesces to reveal flavor. Finish is sweet but not cloying.

Easy to drink, I could see having two of these no problem. After that I think it would get a bit too sweet.

cavemanlawyer, Feb 15, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Many thanks to my local trader, tone77, who is determined to keep me going with regard to bottles. I spent last evening at Iron Hill (LNC) drinking chocolate-based beers in advance of Valentines' Day on Monday and I feel more qualified than usual to review such a beer. I will be frank here - I am not big on sweet anything, so a steady diet of chocolate leaves me Kelvin cold. Frigid. Antarctic. Colder than a "Dear John" letter. That cold.

From the bottle: "The Terrapin 'Moo-Hoo' Chocolate Milk Stout proudly uses cocoa nibs and shells from Olive and Sinclair Chocolate Company to give this beer its chocolaty great taste!"; "'It's utterly delicious'".

My aggro pour left me with two explosive fingers' worth of deep-beige head with good retention. The popping of the CO2 bubbles filled the air with a cocoa powder-like scent. Color was inky black. Say, tone77, that's two back-to-back black beers from you! Were you on some kind of kick? Black, indeed, without any light penetration. Nose smelled like a chocolate bar with an underlying light smokiness. Oooh. Mouthfeel was creamy and I noted smoke initially, followed by a rich chocolatiness on the tongue. Wow! Finish was equally chocolaty, in fact, beginning to dominate in terms of taste. It struck me as fairly rich, probably better as a dessert beer than independently. I would even have liked to have had some of that Wolaver's Coffee Beer from earlier to try a blend of the two. Not bad, but it needs something with it.

woodychandler, Feb 12, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

#90. Boy, was I excited to stumble upon this at the local package store. I've been told on numerous occasions that this is a great stout, but I haven't before tried anything that falls under the "Cream Stout" category. Terrapin does a far better job, in my opinion with dark beers, as the Wake & Bake Oatmeal is phenomenal, which brings my anticipations to an all time high preparing to try this.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a 1.5 finger depth frothy head of a milk chocolate complexion. Retention is about average; altitude drops at a gradual rate but soon gets to the surface. Color is nearly black. I cannot see any visible edge carbonation. The color is hard to draw sides on considering the darkness, but the head retention is slightly above average. It's not bad. 3.5

(Smell) Some subtle cocoa themes amidst black malts and slight roasted coffee tones. The nose is short on potency and the creme theme might be lacking but the aroma is balanced with what is there. A slight touch of earthy hops and a slight tone of caramel, but otherwise mostly strides the cocoa wall. Doesn't smell like "Milk chocolate" from what I gather, but instead pure unprocessed cocoa bean, which I enjoy just as much. Hangs close to an average stout using mainly chocolate and coffee, except this one strides closer to the sweet end of the spectrum; perhaps this will come through in the taste. There's not much else distinguishing it from the crowd in terms of nose, but what's here is decent. Could be much bolder, however. Decent. 3.5

(Taste) Subtle but diverse flavor. A very lightly bitter front with some roasted coffee resting on the tongue. It's good in that neither the sweet nor the bitter flavors are cloying and add to the smooth silky texture and thick flavors. The chocolate comes through mostly in the finish, with an uninterrupted pure milky cocoa flavor with a tad bit of roasted malt and possibly a very slight hint of smoke on the tail. I wouldn't mind a more pronounced chocolatey variety of tones as the chocolate presence isn't really the key star in this beer. The balance is spot on, however with chocolate, dark malt and coffee sharing the stage. A great taste and is very enjoyable to drink. 4.5

(Mouthfeel) Creamy, silky smooth from start to finish. Some bitter tart on the up, but it is hardly bothersome to the remainder of the beer, which has a smooth and creamy texture all the way down the hatch. This beer has the potential to be unbearably sweet but fortunately avoids the route, balancing sweet and bitter tones well. Manages to have a slightly above average ABV that is hidden frighteningly well and a medium/full body flavor that avoids lightening up anywhere in the drink. No watery qualities to be found. Unbelievably easy to drink and smooth as ever. One of the smoothest beers I have ever had, but I suppose that has a lot to do with the style it lies in. 4.5

(Drinkability) Dangerously drinkable. The ABV is quite fair and this beer has a very smooth and balanced taste and creamy mouthfeel that could justify several more bottles in a single sitting. It leaves me craving more. A bummer that I had one one. That desire is good news for this beer, however! 4.5

Verdict: Yeah, Terrapin did a good job on this beer too. I really look forward to the holiday seasons to get treasures like this, and I'll be looking out for more cream-based stouts in the future. I can only assume it does a good job at representing the style; it does a damn good job at being a beer nonetheless. You should definitely check it out! A- (4.1)

Jadjunk, Feb 12, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz. Bottle/2010 seasonal.
Appearance: Pours into pint glass a rich dark black color and doesn't let any light through. A thin ring of reddish tan head composed of minute bubbles lines the glass.

Smell: I don't decect much in way of smell here, some caramel-like chocolate sweetness is about all I can detect.

Taste: fairly mild beer, nice sweet chocolate flavor a little bit of malt, the chocolate is more apparent in the after taste,

Mouthfeel: nice creamy mouthfeel, one of the strong parts of this brew.

Drinkability: very drinkable due to the mouthfeel, overall a good brew, I would have preferred more chocolate taste.

mcann2pu, Feb 11, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Date: 01/28/2011
Type: 12oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: Lucifer Snifter

Pours a dark brown mahoghany in color w/ a 1 finger cream head that left medium lacing. The nose was of milk chocolate and alot of vinous notes. Taste was all milk chocolate and vine w/ only a very mild hop bite on the finish. Very smooth. Mouthfeel was thin to medium bodied and the flavors linger. Would have liked this to be a little more lush. I drank this w/ ease and it is dangerously sessionable.

Overall, Terrapin accomplished their mission and this beer is exactly what it is intended to be, a milk/sweet stout that tastes like chocolate milk in a beer form, and is extremely drinkable. Pretty good stuff!

mikeyv35, Feb 11, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

A-dark black with amber edges.
Light
mocca head.
S-very sweet smelling. Hints of chocolate and cofee
T-a lot like it smells. Very sweet. Light coffee. Smooth
M-medium bodied and smooth no aftertaste really
D-high drinkability. Like this brew a lot...

brew3crew, Feb 11, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours dark brown... Vry dark. Not much head. Not super thick but well carbonated and not very see through. Smells like chocolate milk... And tastes the same. A very nice chocolate milk but not really a beer. Thick good mouthfeel and very drinkable but very odd for a beer

Urbancaver, Feb 11, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to owen49 for this extra!

Live review.

Pours a thick ropey black. Very dense, no light is showing through at all. I get a 1/4 finger of sandy head made up of round bubbles that stack upon each other like sushi roe. Mild traces of mountainous lace is left behind.

Mmmm, this smells delicious. Initially I get a large dose of roasty malt and deep charcoal notes. Then the more subtle chocolate wafts in and adds depth and intrigue to the aroma of this brew. Deeper inhaling reveals an earthy hop presence. Cold the beer smelled of Hershey chocolate syrup, warm the chocolate looses some sweetness in exchange for more of a cocoa powder profile.

The taste is full of coffee notes and lots of char and ash. There is some chocolate there, but the char and the bitterness (not positive if it's all malt or also hop-induced) get in the way. The bottle's description led me to believe that this would be insanely sweet, but I find little to no notable sweetness at all. But wait, finally my beer has warmed enough to allow the more subtle flavors to come forth, and a lactic acidity begins push forth a little sweetness.

The mouthfeel is a little odd. The carbonation is prickly and the finish is very bitter. It lacks some of the smoothness associated with many milk stouts. The beer grows sticky and very dry, bordering on gritty over time. The carbonation could be toned down a little, but with some swirling it calms down some.

I think I prefer Left Hand Milk Stout, but this is certainly a solid offering. I really wish I could easily get my hands on some other Terrapin beer.

Spider889, Feb 09, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to JackTheBear for this bottle from our recent trade!

Poured into my Dfh snifter, pours a milky black color, very little head or lacing. Smell- milky chocolate, musky, the hint of cinnamon? Taste- milky, creamy chocolate, a reminder of dr pepper, smooth chocolate on the end. Mouthfeel- nice carbonation, my only knock on this beer is that I wish it was a little thicker. Drinkability- definitely the most drinkable cream stout I have ever had- a style I actually don't usually like.

I love the creativity that Terrapin exudes with this playful beer. Awesome, would seek out again and again.

lnashsig, Feb 08, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to Alex.

Poured into a snifter: Black with a rich tan head that sits like a shell and a steady streams of tiny bubbles rumbling up the sides. A ridiculous curtain of mocha is created while gently moving the beer around the glass.

Lactose strong on the nose and is coupled with creamy coffee and milk chocolate. Very rich but not the cloyingly sweetness that other milk stouts can venture into.

Carbonated milk shake seems appropriate. There's also a light hop presence and a slight bitterness along the back to balance it out.

Carbonation could be dialed down slightly, but the mouthfeel is soft and velvety. I don't much like milk stouts, but when I do, I drink Woo Hoo.

BarrytheBear, Feb 07, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I thougt this wasn't available any longer but stumbled across a sixer at J&J's in Nashville.

A: Pours heavy and smooth with little head. Dark brown, almost black.

S: Overwhelming smell of sweet chocolate, malts, toffee, vanilla.

T: Milk Chocolate with hints of coffee and toffee. This is very good. Sweet but not too sweet with a great malt base and some lingering hop bitterness as well.

M: Creamy, smooth, slight carbonation. Perfect consistency, they nailed this.

D: So good, I wish it could be a yearly offering. A great option at any time of the year but particularly delicious tonight as I watch the Pack take down the Steelers.

mattsdenney, Feb 07, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

Thanks to Tilley4 for this great brew via trade -

Poured from 2010 seasonal 12 oz bottle -

Poured into Duvel tulip- almost no head ,thin tan lacing with decent carbonation.

Smell - light coffee and chocolate hints .

Taste - Creamy feel with Bitter Coffee hints some mild chocolates

Drinkability - Easy to drink Milk /Sweet stout - from the first creamy flavors to the dry malts - I would drink this any day of the week.

Thanks again JT.

InebriatedJoker, Feb 06, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

got this one in a recent trade with 50belair. thanks matt!

12oz bottle. sampled feb 2/2011.

pours deep dark brown, nearly black but with good clarity around the edges when held to the light. a thin ring of fine tan bubbles surrounds the glass and leaves a few spots of lace.

aroma is good. dark and milk chocolate. light alcohol. biscuit and whole wheat bread, lightly toasted. lightly herbal and woody. caramel and a bit of buttery toffee. light vanilla. bit of coffee.

taste is good. milk and dark chocolate. lightly toasted whole wheat bread. bit of biscuit. light alcohol. medium-low bitterness level. bit of vanilla. caramel and a bit of toffee. hint of coffee.

mouthfeel is great. it initially felt a little thin, but once it warmed a little it filled out to a nice level, just above medium body. medium carbonation levle.

drinkability is good. nice balance. good chocolate character. tasty!

grub, Feb 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Another big thanks to thecarster1 for getting this Moo-Hoo in a trade. Been wanting to try this veer for a while.

Appearance: Moo-Hoo pours a medium brown color that appears opaque black in the glass. A bit over a finger of mocha colored head forms that reduces down to a thin film. Lacing is not too impressive.

Smell: Roasty malts and some chocolate really come out in this beer. Also, a lot of floral hops as well that really balance it out.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Roasty malts and chocolate are very prevalent in this beer and make up the main component. A bunch of floral hops come out on the back end of this beer and really balance it out. It really makes this beer pleasant from front to back.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is pretty light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation. Still, it drinks pretty nicely. I'd love to have access to this beer all of the time. It's not too heavy but has a lot of the flavors that I really appreciate. Very tasty.

zhanson88, Feb 04, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -19.7%

A - no red, bark as night. Tall creamy brown head.

S - strong malts and chocolate. Mild roast or smoke in the mix.

T - milk and dark chocolates. Bitterness in the after taste and not just from the dark chocolate.

M - medium coating with a tingle on the sides of the tongue.

D - one or maybe two.

biglite351, Feb 02, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz bottle, thanks to grub for sharing.

Pours an opaque dark brownish black, very faint orange in the edges, thin light brown head forms and quickly settles to a very thin ring around the glass, lots of little lace spots stick all over the glass.

Smell is interesting, a bit sweet and sour, some lactic milk going on, chocolate milk, a bit bittersweet, some caramel, very fruity, a bit of berry and some raisin, interesting aroma.

Taste is similar, lactic sourness, nice chocolate milk, some sweetness going through the middle, big caramel hit, a touch of corn syrup, same fruity sweetness, bit berry and raisin, smooth finish, touch of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, pretty slick going down with medium carbonation. Pretty neat, does have a solid chocolate milk character, just a bit too fruity and sweet for me. Thanks Russ!

Viggo, Feb 02, 2011

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a thin tan head that quickly faded away and left delicate lacing on the surface.
S: There are light aromas of semisweet milk chocolate in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and quite rich; it also has some hints of roasted malts.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is very easy to drink; I could easily have a few of these in one sitting.

metter98, Feb 02, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tuliped pint glass.

A-Deep dark brown, almost fully opaque when held to the light with a big fluffy khaki head that looks very similar to a Guinness without the ruby highlights.

S-A weaker nose than I would have anticipated, coffee, and faint chocolate are the main staples in the smell of this one.

T-Ahh that's better, an explosion of chocolate malt, with a coffee and dark fruit undertone, the alcohol is almost completely hidden and there is a very faint hoppy after-note.

M-Thick and velvety, slight carbonation and decent body.

D-Very drinkable, easily slammed three of them before I even realized it, would definitely try again.

bboelens, Jan 29, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

A 12 oz. bottle ~ Seasonal : 2010 on the label. Poured to a pint glass. Thanks to Metalmonk/Jeff fer sendin'...

Another terrific Terrapin label, this one the ubiquitous tortoise donning a droopy cow costume (complete with udders and clutching a sheaf of wheat, a rural farm setting in the background. 'Malt beverage brewed with natural flavors' mean, in this case, cocoa nibs and shells from Olive and Sinclair Chocolate Company. 'It's Utterly Delicious' ~ Ha! (but shouldn't that be 'Udder'-ly?

A: Plenty dark, impenetrable but not quite 'black' - around the edges some rust/sienna highlights show. Not much for a head, maybe a half-finger of light khaki that fades rather quickly to a slim ring and splash of film. Lace in small flecks.

S: Pleasant aroma, sweet and chocolate-y. A few hints of smoke/peat, which I didn't expect. Strength is alright, but the aroma requires one to really stick a nose deep in the glass, only opening up in the latest stages of warming.

T: Definitely, milk chocolate plays the biggest role here; the result isn't, however, overtly sweet. Bitterness manifests in powdery/earthy cocoa and a tart/sour lactose glowers in the corner.

M: Luscious, creamy feel. Perhaps a little thin, but that's kinda nit-picking; mild carbonation, moderate sticky cling.

D: Could hardly get more drinkable than this; sweetness (not overbearing) and dusty dryness, alcohol level that isn't too big, smooth body. Disappeared quickly, w-a-a-a-a-a-y-y-y too quickly. If you're one for chocolate-y, dessert-y beers you'll really enjoy this one. I did.

msubulldog25, Jan 29, 2011

A - Pours black with a 2 finger coffee colored head.

S - Not much here. Coffee with a little milk chocolate but this beer is not aroma driven.

T - First thing that hits me is the noticeable lack of bitterness. The chocolate comes through on the back end and is really the dominating character. Some sour notes left on the tongue.

M - Light mouth feel. On mouthfeel alone, this could be a lager. Super smooth.

D - Easy sessionable stout. 12 oz. of this is way to easy to drink. This is a beer that is definitely better than the sum of its parts. Despite the lack of aroma, I will definitely be looking out for this again. If it is a night were BCBS or KBS is going to be too intense, this might be the beer.

kranker23, Jan 28, 2011