Terrapin Indiana Krunkles - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Indiana KrunklesTerrapin Indiana Krunkles

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Side Project #15

(Beer added by: Chaney on 05-05-2011)

Pammywham, Oct 27, 2012

dowen44, Dec 04, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +25%

billn3, Apr 24, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured a very cloudy orangish color with a good amount of beige head on it.

Smell is very nice and hoppy with a wheat smell coming through as well. some citrus smell as well.

Taste is pretty fantastic. Really great bitter hop flavor throughout. Also a nice wheat flabor coming through. This tastes exactly like the label says.

Mouthfeel is light-medium and goes down smooth and easy.

Overall a great beer that I really enjoyed. I'd love to try this again.

richkrull, Jul 23, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

I am having this at cellar temp, the heat wave has my cellar at 60 deg f. Nice looking beer; golden with a hint of orange, the white head was bit thin. The nose is other worldly; bubblegum, pepper, orange peel, tangerine, all separated no smells overlapping each other. The taste starts a little sweet, but quickly goes to a piney, woodsy, resiny, bitterness but not overwhelming. This beer must be super fresh, I am getting all these flavors at the same level, nothing is standing out. The finish is dry, making you want more. If you see this beer somewhere, try it.

orsulacp, May 29, 2011

ltdantheman, Feb 20, 2012

TheBishopco, Nov 27, 2011

pathman, Jul 14, 2013

csustar001, May 23, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

I'm amazed, wasnt excited for this one, after one sip, quickly changed my mind. The appearance is of a murky, cloudy hefe with a 1/4 inch head with decent lacing the whole drink.
The smell is of clean cut grass, with a faint smell of hops. I love IPA's and I love hefe's, this is a perfect mixture of both. Nice spice notes with a hop after taste. I had no idea what I was missing. I will seek this beer out now, very happily impressed.

biglobo8971, Sep 13, 2011

olympicgatorade, May 03, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a golden amber color with a nice off-white head.

S- This is a cross between an American IPA and a Hefeweizen. I am a huge fan of both styles so I was anxious to try this offering. The aroma is pretty much what I was hoping for. The wheat, banana, clove and yeast from the hefeweizen part are spot on. There are some citrusy hops in the nose as well that set this apart from your typical hefeweizen.

T- The taste is fantastic. At first, the wheat and spicy clove stand out but the hops quickly make their presence felt creating a nice lingering bitterness in the finish to complement the yeasty finish perfectly. I am really digging this beer.

M- The mouthfeel is spot on as well. It is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Props to Terrapin for this unique offering. I have never tried a beer like this and that gets bonus points. I feel like they pulled off what they were trying to do and everything came together perfectly. I would love to see Terrapin make this a season offering, highly recommended!

cjgator3, Jun 17, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

$8.50 bomber from Abe's.

Hazy orange body, topped by four fingers of just-off-white foam.

Interesting aroma, cloves and banana and a hint of bubblegum mixed together with bits of orange and grapefruit.

Taste begins with a pleasant wheat tang, followed by a truck load of juicy fruit. Good hop nip at the swallow. Cleanish finish with a subtle mix of bitter and fruit.

Mouthfeel is light but not wimpy, ideal for a summer afternoon.

A nicely done hybrid of hefe and ipa, and while its not the equal of Gumballhead hoppy-wise, its absolutely worth a try if you're interested in hoppy wheats.

RonfromJersey, Jun 19, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

amber, hazy and amply carbonated liquid which sat in its glass covered with a monster of a three inch or more head. This rested gently down and left behind generous amounts of side glass clingy and sticky lace, that are in all likelihood still there the next day. Just a great overall look, damn perfect for the style. The aroma coming off this knocked me back off of my feet for a good minute. Huge floral hop presence, I mean huge. Tons of citrus flavors, orange, tangerine, and very sweet as well. There was just a really fresh aroma coming off of it. It was literally dripping fresh. The taste was enormous. I had a hop profile that made you go nuts. Lots of orange and pineapple mixed in with a ton of sweetness, it was just heaven. A big resin, bitter dry finish was superb. Great smooth and light feel was no match for the huge flavor in here. This was really fantastic I could have had this all night, if only I had some more of it. This was far and away one of the best IPA's I have ever had. It was just unreal fresh and hopped to a level I very rarely see. I can find no fault in it at all, so it gets my second ever rating of a perfect five. To say I was surprised by what came out of this bottle was an understatement.

mikesgroove, May 29, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

22 oz bottle. I think it was $8 from Neds.

Appearance: Hazy orange with a thick meringue white head with good retention (not as good as a real hefeweizen). Very nice sticky webs of lacing.

Smell: It smells like a fresh fruit salad. Obvious banana and sweet orange, maybe some kiwi, white grape. A kiss of clove.

Taste: Very fruity and slightly spicy with the yeasty banana esters and all the tropical fruity hops flavors mixing together. Flavorful sweet and spicy malt (probably some munich). Hops bitterness is restrained, but is enough to provide balance to this otherwise very sweet and fruity beer.

Mouthfeel: I think it feels a little too full. It could benefit from being a little drier and/or a little more carbonated to give it more bite. I want this beer to be more refreshing and quenching, but it ends up being a little sticky and heavy feeling.

Overall: I really like this beer. I think the concept is a good one and the flavors work well together. I really liked the Brooklyn Hopfenweiss too. I just looked at the Terrapin website and this beer is dry hopped with Falconers Flight which I haven't to my knowledge had-- I'm impressed. I'm never sure how to rate these mixed style beers, so I throw style out the window. I bet this beer would fare better if it was classified as a weizenbock.

rapidsequence, May 28, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Terrapin Side project V. 15 Indiana Krunkles German Style Wheat IPA 7.3% alcohol content.

A- Poured into oversized wine glass that produces a orange fluid that a firey color when held to the light. Patchy lacing sticks to glass at will.

S- Just cut grassy hop upfront with hints of sweet malts followed by musky yeast backbone.

T-M- Taste is a bitter bite of grassy and citric hops with a mild and light malty caramel backbone followed by earthy tones of yeast and sugar. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and smooth with little to deter you from drinking this beer.

A good go to beer in need of hops and balance of malts and yeast.

wesbrownyeah, Jul 03, 2011

On-Tap...

Poured into a tulip glass.

Hazy and cloudy golden/tannish color. Nice lacing and head sticks around for almost the entire glass. Really nice looking brew. Smell was grainy and wheaty with an almost fruit like scent. The taste was really really different. I applaud Terrapin for making such a tasty brew. It has a nice bitter hop punch but also that nice citrusy and lemony flavor that good wheat beers have. Downright piney and tropical at times- but you still know that you are drinking an IPA. Medium bodied and full flavored. Great beer. I loved it.

DavidSeanNJ, Jul 26, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a bomber into a nonic.

This brew pours a hazy gold color capped with a finger's worth of head that retains and laces well. The aroma is nice and hoppy primarily, with just a touch of wheat in the back. The wheat beer aspect comes through a lot more on the taste, with the wheat and lemon working well with the level of hoppiness that an IPA brings to the table. Not as hoppy as the nose would suggest, but still very nice. The mouthfeel is solid, it's got a medium-light body, and the drinkability is quite good. Overall, an enjoyable hopped-up American Wheat (not much "German Style" as the bottle boasts), not quite an IPA, but still enjoyable.

shand, Jul 11, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

The Salmon colored body was hazy, and the head formation was nearly four fingers thick, at the top of the half liter Weizen glass. The smell was exactly what would imagine a Wheat IPA would be. There were aromas of banana, bubblegum, grapefruit, and pine. The taste provided a unique combination of American critic hops, and sweet and wheat malt with delicate phenols. The hops were clearly in control of the experience, as they should be in an IPA, but the malt still showed through. It did feel more light and watery than an IPA of similar strength, and the lack of stickiness made the finish a bitter but short one. The mouthfeel became a lot more creamy, when the yeast was stirred up and poured in, and some clove spiciness crept in at that time. But this cause the bitterness to become less IPA like as well. A tasty side experiment, with no obvious flaws.

rajendra82, May 29, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Aroma is - oh, what a delight! Truly unique, yeasty, wheaty, subtly hoppy, demanding a drink! I have never encountered a beer with such an aroma - it may not be the best-smelling beer of all times, but the aroma just sends me. It pours a hazy amber with a thick, if not too persistent, white head. Well, appearance isn’t everything - one cannot judge a book by its cover, etc. The flavor is simply sublime, rye, wheat and hops mixing delightfully, dancing on the tongue, with undertones of yeast and slightly sour orange, just plain lip-smacking. Lively, sassy texture is fizzy and leaves a nice tingly and slightly sweet citrus finish. Crack that whip!

Cyberkedi, May 25, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a golden orange with one inch of head. Nice retention. Smells of wheat, yeast, and a citrus, floral hop aroma. Taste is smooth at first with wheat and yeast up front followed by intense, bitter, floral and citrus hops at the end. There's just a hint of alcohol. It's rather light bodied which I attribute to the wheat; moderate carbonation.

The intense hops keep the drinkability down on this one, but a decent IPA overall.

tdm168, Aug 09, 2011

Zachb4au, Mar 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: It pours a clouded orange color with two fingers of pearl-colored head that lasts forever and clings to the sides beautifully.

S: Sweet grass, lemon, orange, some caramel and cracker malts, and floral hoppiness.

T: Lots of sweet malts, tropical fruits, citrus tanginess, and some breadiness late.

M: The body is medium-thick with average carbonation and long-lasting flavors.

O: This is interesting because it has many different fruit flavors and a wide variety of malt flavors blended. This is terrific and I'd like to see more of this.

bucklemyshoe, Jun 08, 2011

st9647v3, Sep 03, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Man was I excited when I saw this in the store; my two favorite kinds of beer rolled into one. Bomber poured into weizen glass.

A: Hazy yellow-amber to deep orange at the deepest part of the glass, with a thin off-white frothy head that is staying at <1cm thick leaving tons of lacing.

S: The nose seems to be a battle between hops and banana bread yeast aromas. There are also hints of a sweet malt. It seems that each time I put my nose to the glass I pick up a new scent. Swirled up you get a burst of hop aroma, let it sit and it starts to smell like a weiss beer.

T: A little on the sweet side, but balanced incredibly well for all of what's going on in this ale. Citric hop bitterness upfront that quickly gives way to soft banana flavors mixed in with mild hops. Finishes with a piney bitter dryness.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation a little on the soft side, and finishes quite dry.

O: This is a hard beer to judge against other IPA's. It's not a hop bomb by any means, although there is no shortage of hop flavor here. I find this beer to be exceptional because I've never had anything like it, and I've never seen this style done before. I think the two go together quite well.

ReelBigwigFish, Jul 17, 2011