Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Terrapin Easy Rider - Terrapin Beer Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ChainGangGuy on 04-28-2012

Reviews by AleWatcher:
3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle into dimpled mug (it's my new favorite style glassware-- I predict the dimpled mug will be the tulip of 2013!)

Lightly hazy orange glowing body with a 2 finger white cap of frothy bubbles. Head settled pretty quickly and quietly into a ring around the inside of the glass. Some big spotty chunks of lacing remain behind. If we had better retention/lacing i would exclaim, "This is how I like my pale ales to look!"

Smells a little sweet with caramel and biscuit malt notes. The smell is pretty mild I think. A little more towards aromatic hops would have improved this a great deal. The flavor is more pronounced than the nose, but not enough to get me really excited. I was hoping to really like this beer; pale ales are my absolute favorite "go-to" style and I'm a big fan of the lass ABV/more flavor movement. As it stands, I find this beer to be tasty, but I wanted more of a hop punch! The hops here offer a nice little citrusy (grapefruit and orange) note, but more would be better.

The bitterness is too weak as well-- although I personally feel that there is a market for a low ABV, low IBU pale ale that packs a big aroma and hop flavor.... This recipe would work the role for me with a few tweaks.

Overall-- I like the malt base. I like the hop profile. We just need more hops... And at different times in the boil. (1,338 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a standard pint a clear light to medium golden with a thinner glingy white head that settles into a soapy-like mass.Love the big shot of citric and piny hops in the nose,they really jump out at ya like the label says,a light caramel base is noticable.The Maris Otter malt plays a big role on the palate with it's mildly sweet biscuit malt flavors,citric hops in the back end.It could be beefed up a little in the body and the hops could be a little bigger on the palate but it's a nice session ale in my opinon,good for a grilling night like tonight. (562 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle from a 4 pack: $9 at Total Wine. 2012 version served in a snifter.

Appearance: Clear amber color; sudsy white head dies down quickly but not completely, leaving a lasting thin 'island'.

Smell: Nicely hoppy, with a mix of citrus (primary), herbal and a little pine.

Taste: The flavor is like the smell, although the bitterness level is not as high as the aroma and other hop flavors led me to expect. This is most obvious in the aftertaste where the sense of grapefruit rind was quite limited. There's some bready, toasty malt in here too, but this is a hop-forward brew.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is just right; thin body; very nice dryness that starts before the finish.

Overall: A "session APA" indeed: this beer is flavorful but disappeared quickly. Still, to be a great session beer, I want more complexity and a more substantial mouthfeel. There are plenty of those but not with just 4.5% ABV! (921 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

A - pale, transparent golden yellow with a loose, soft, white head that has a short-lived retention

S - spicy hop aromas

T - light malt body, spicy hop character with some faint herbal notes

M - light bodied, well carbonated

This is a rather simple beer, but it's refreshing and very easy to drink. It has just enough flavor and hop character to keep me interested. I probably won't have this again, but it was good to try once. (432 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -5.2%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured a slightly hazy golden yellow with a one and a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, fruit hop, and earth hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, fruit, and fruit hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. I really enjoyed how refreshing this one was with all of the floral notes going on. This made it rather enjoyable and easy to drink. I fully understand where they got the name from as I found myself taking massive sips of this one without even knowing it. The carbonation was a little lacking for my liking in this style, but still not bad. Definitely a must try from Terrapin. (820 characters)

Terrapin Easy Rider from Terrapin Beer Company