Terrapin Tree Hugger - Terrapin Beer Company

good

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: elgiacomo on 07-26-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Tree Hugger Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -57.1%

2.53/5  rDev -27.7%

Had no idea what style this was supposed to be; I remember thinking and saying "well, it doesn't taste bad, but it is probably the most boring beer I have had in a long time." It's reminiscent of many mediocre brewpub "Copper Ale" offerings. Altbier? I've been to Dusseldorf, this isn't an altbier. Maybe a year old bottle of Uerige, at best...

Over the years, I have become less and less of a Terrapin fan, had a blast at their brewery a couple years back, but it's been a long time since I was really impressed by them. White Chocolate MooHoo was nice enough and put them up a notch, but even the new super limited stuff still isn't doing all that much for me. Tree Hugger brought them back down to where they were before I had the WC MooHoo. Wake-n-Bake is always I treat when I see it, but unfortunately that release has made it's way into the "hyped up beer club".

Maybe the fact that they are 40ish% owned by MillerCoors has something to do with it, but I'm glad that more breweries are popping up in GA and offering something different than the (dare I say it) "Older/Larger" GA breweries.

Appearance: Copper color, thin white head.
Nose: Not much there, some barely, stale European hops.
Taste: Same as the nose, barley, a touch of hops.
Mouthfeel: dry enough, and rounded. Probably the best attribute.
Overall: Year round offering...who's buying this? I suppose that this bottle could have been old and maybe it's more interesting fresh (I didn't notice a freshness date).

2.61/5  rDev -25.4%

This beer really does nothing for me. I got this in a variety 12 pack so I wasn't expecting many "event" beers, but I can honestly say this is the wort Terrapin effort I've tried. And, until now, I've loved everything I've had of theirs. Oh well. As Primus tells us in their greatest hits album: "They Can't All Be Zingers".

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Auburn clear with lots of effervescence. Faint haze. A finger of head fades. Good lacing.

S: Sweet malts and lagerish yeast (not sure where this is coming from). Lightly sour, but redeemingly fruity. Cheap-smelling and unimpressive.

T: Tastes like an amber ale, with all that entails. Heavily malted, with no discernible hops, only a sour bitterness near the endtaste that is weirdly tart/fruity. Green apples? The aftertaste is lingering and reminiscent of a pale ale (Munich malt?) -- crisp, sweet, and lingering.

M: Suitable.

O: I think maybe I just don't like altbier. But this is not to my taste. Too sweetish, too sourish, too bland. I like just about everything Terrapin has ever made better. Not recommended. I don't think I'll finish this glass...

Terrapin Tree Hugger from Terrapin Beer Company