Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012

We always love a good experimental brew here at Terrapin, but the salty-sweet combo of peanuts and chocolate has us all salivating a little more than usual. This brew, while smooth and mellow, still manages to challenge your tastebuds. The porter base is dark and smooth, with enough backbone to support the richer chocolate and peanut butter additions. It’s even dry “peanuted” with brewery-boiled green peanuts! Here’s to the candy-loving kid in all of us!
Reviews: 194 | Hads: 1,272

Label: "malt beverage flavored with natural and artificial ingredients."
Well, at least they didn't use the word "beer" to describe it. When I want chocolate and peanut butter, I'd rather eat a Reese's Cup.

2.35/5  rDev -38%

Pour is dark brown, almost black, with a tight tan head. Nose is heavy peanut butter with a touch of roast and a hint of milk chocolate. Not much malt presence but really a strong peanut butter flavor. Taste is heavy peanut butter like the nose but a stronger roast, a bit acidic and acrid, messier malt and a faint chocolate. Thick up front, body thins out in back, prickly and messier carbonation.

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

pours a dark opaque brownish black with a tan head. Smells of roasty malts, chocolate, and slight peanut butter. Taste was roasty and toasty malts, chocolate powder, and no peanut butter to be found. I found this very disappointing. Feel was medium to heavy. Overall I found myself wanting more peanut butter while drinking, and there was none to be found.

2.68/5  rDev -29.3%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle received as a gift from a non-BA member. Sampled on July 30, 2014.

OK, the label reads "Malt beverage brewed with natural and artificial flavors." Artificial flavors? An automatic turn off for me.

It is an attractive pour I will give it that with its dark brown color and modest little head that fades.

It smells like a malty Reeses Cup.

The body is also quite nice and well into the medium range.

The taste is also like a malty Reese's Cup with a mildly bitter finish. Oh well, 1800+ BA reviews. I can't like them all.

2.79/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Personally, I feel that Duclaw's Sweet Baby Jesus is so much better than this. Look- opaque, slight dark tan rim. Smell- somewhat weak, bitter chocolate. Taste- bitter dark chocolate, don't get a ton of peanut butter here. It all tastes a little fake. Very malt forward. Little to no sweetness. Feel- not as creamy as I would have liked. My advice, go with Sweet Baby Jesus for a superior chocolate peanut butter stout.

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown/black pour with a tan head.

Aroma is muted. Barely getting anything here, aside from the typical "porter" aromas. A vague maltiness -- maybe peanut butter I guess? Probably just the power of suggestion, frankly. The taste is not much better. This is barely distinguishable from any other porter -- the most subtle notes of peanut butter, and no real chocolate flavor. If you're not paying attention, and if the label didn't tell you to look for it, I'm not sure you'd even notice the peanut butter here. This is basically a run-of-the-mill porter, but with the tiniest bit of peanut butter. Mouthfeel is fairly thin, which compounds the disappointment (Thin taste AND thin mouthfeel? Boo, I say.).

Nothing special. As far as porters go, it's a fairly decent one -- maybe even good. But this wasn't supposed to be yet another garden-variety porter -- it was supposed to be a wonderful medley of peanut butter and chocolate. The label promised me so! But Liquid Bliss fails to deliver. If you want a porter, fine, go ahead I guess. But at $7.99 for 22 oz, there are many better options out there.

I was excited to try this one, but I'm not a big fan. Probably my least favorite of Terrapin's side projects (some of which are phenomenal).
Pours out like cola. Brown and translucent at the edges with subtle reddish hints. No real head.
Nose is roasty malts and peanuts. Mostly one-noted. Tast is malt, peat, and earthy peanuts. I don't get creamy peanut butter, rather it's more like peanut shells. Chocolate doesn't come through.
Average mouthfeel. Still worth a try, but I won't be buying more.

3.01/5  rDev -20.6%

Served in an Olde Hickory shaped-glass.

A: Poured about as dark a brown as possible without it being totally noir. The head was rather anemic... maybe 1/10 of a head or so.

S: Actually, it smelled like your average, run-of-the-mill porter... minus the roast. Very faint and not very memorable.

T: Okay, I definitely got the peanut now. This is basically a standard porter, but in place of the roast, peanuts are use. Sounds kinda cool on paper, but the flavor left more to be desired. This reminds me of DuClaw's HERO porter, only that one is much better.

M: Here is where the brew really falters: This was painfully thin, approaching novice homebrew territory even. Seriously, this was about as thin as a dark brew gets. No booze detected, very low carbonation, but who cares?

O: When Terrapin is on, they're really on (Anniversary Shmaltz brown ale collaboration), but when they're off, you might as well hang it up. Sigh...

3.04/5  rDev -19.8%

Overall, mouth feel was too thin, did not detect hardly any peanuts in the taste or smell. Would be nice to see a double version of this to boost up the body and try and impart more peanut flavor.

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz. into a Founders Balloon Tulip.

Pours pitch black with a light khaki head. Very little lacing.

Nose is very light. If I concentrate, I can pick up the smell of peanuts. Not much chocolate in the nose.

Taste is very subtle. The best descriptor I have is earthy. It doesn't taste much like peanuts or chocolate to me. I do get a hint of peanuts in the finish, but it's more of a suggestion than a flavor.

Mouth is a big let down. Very thin and too highly carbonated for the style.

I really wanted this to be an awesome beer. There is a picture of giant peanuts floating down a chocolate river on the label, after all. I was hoping for something bold and distinct, but this beer just comes off as a mediocre, but drinkable, porter.

3.06/5  rDev -19.3%

Looks like a solid porter. Dark brown, almost black with a descent head that leaves nice lacing. Retention is ok.

The aroma is average. Mostly dark chocolate, a hint of roast...some milky lactose, hint of vanilla and maybe a faint hint of nuttiness? Where is the peanut butter? I get a hint.

I hate to do this, but my expectations were built up. I taste no peanut butter. Maybe if I close my eyes and use my imagination really hard I can get a hint. I smelled more peanut butteryness than taste. Dark chocolate, lactose, vanilla, and some roasty notes.

A little thin for a porter and just a bit prickly on the tongue.

Overall, disappointing. I wanted something a bit richer. When I think of "liquid bliss" and peanut butter and chocolate...i think decadent. They tried to be too subtle with this.

3.06/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark brown with golden edges. The half finger of head dissipated very quickly. There is a sweet note to the nose and also something else that is sadly reminiscent of cardboard. The body is fairly thin for the style and the roast profile is mild to say the least. The flavor profile also includes something off and fake tasting. The fake taste lingers into the finish.

This offering does not make me feel very blissful.

3.07/5  rDev -19%

Was very disappointed—the peanut was all in the nose, almost nothing in the palette, and very little chocolate, if any. Thin porter; hard to even call it a chocolate porter. Nothing like a Reese's cup let alone the idyllic river of chocolate and peanut illustrated on the label.

Really quite a let down, given the label description and possibility for this style. I expected something more along the line of a Southern Tier release—not necessarily the cloying syrupyness of their Crème Brulee stout, but something with a full body and rich cocoa and roasty nut flavor.

And at a Six-Pack equivalent price of $26 it was enough to put me off Terrapin for a while.

- Appearance: Dark and roasty; typical porter
- Smell: Like peanut butter, as expected, but not very intense. Took a strong sniff to really get it in the nose. Almost no chocolate notes and very little roastiness of a typical porter.
- Taste: Disappointing--no peanut butter, very little chocolate, and just an "okay" porter. Not even very roasty, as would be typical. For a local Atlanta example, I'd rather crack a Sweetwater Exodus--much better example at this ABV.
- Mouthfeel: Too thin for the ABV and promise of the style. Felt closer to a 5% porter.
- Overall: Great idea, poor execution

3.11/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. No preshness date. Purchased at WIne Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $7.99.

A: Very dark brown with 1 finger of beige head with decent retention and one layer of lacing.

S: Aroma is pretty absent although there is some mild nutty and fudgy chocolate aromas. Not much for malts, definitely no hops.

T: The flavor is pretty so-so on both the chocolate and peanut butter accounts. If you are expecting strong flavors of either, you are not going to find them here. This beer is pretty bland with some subtle nutty flavors and a one-dimensional milk chocolate component that is blaze. No other real malt flavors.

M: Decent smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation and light-medium body.

O: A pretty underwhelming attempt at putting nutty and chocolate into a beer. While I am glad they didn't go overboard and try to supplement with artificial flavoring, Liquid Bliss is very low on flavor intensity and flavor overall. Sorry Terrapin -- this one is not a good SIde Project.

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Deep brown black with a nice tan head.

S: Peanut butter goodness and a nice light chocolate aroma. I don't get a whole lot of the porter aroma in the background though.

T: Light peanut butter, the chocolate is fairly subdued, as is the malt. I was really hoping for something a little more rich and flavorful, and while it is certainly good it registers fairly low on the flavor meter.

F: Medium light in body, with a fairly high level of carbonation

O: Overall it's a pretty good beer, but when you put chocolate and peanut butter on the label, you better deliver.

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

The nose truly is dominated by the chocolate...semi-sweet chocolate. Only after a little opening up do I get somewhat of a whiff of some peanuts. But really, it's mostly chocolate.

Pours an opaque black on my glass with a thin glass with about no staying power at all.

Honestly, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me here, because the peanut taste is so light that I'm unclear if it's me or if it's the beer. Definitely notes of semi-sweet chocolate, it's the dominant taste in the beer. The peanut taste, again, really is in the background. HOwever, as a porter, it's pretty good all in all. Not for the price, though.

So my verdict is that it's pretty good for a porter...but I'm disappointed that I don't taste what should make this beer so unique.

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Black pour with a small, light-brown head. The head disappears pretty quickly and doesn't lace much at all.

S: It smells of chocolate and vanilla, but overall is pretty watered down. I can't get much peanut butter here, and I can't say it's all that inviting.

T: The taste is much better. It starts off with a big hit of sweet, delicious chocolate, which gives way to the peanut butter and some vanilla. The peanuts last on the back of your tongue seemingly forever. Overall, I wish the beer was a bit bigger, and that the flavors took over a bit more. It's not in the top two or three beer brewed with peanut butter I've had.

MF: Medium body with a normal amount of carbonation. The dry finish and lingering flavors are very nice and really bolster the drinkability.

O: I was actually disappointed here. It really wasn't anything special for me and certainly doesn't stand up to some of the other beers of similar style with similar ingredients.

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Bottle dated 12/14 at 45 degrees into imperial pint glass
Aroma peanut butter and chocolate
Head large (5 cm), light brown creamy with rocks
Lacing poor – small islands of various size bubbles, partial ring with stalactites
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor of chocolate – peanut butter shows up more in the nose. No malt, no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium to full, creamy, soft carbonation

The peanut butter aroma is overwhelming, making this otherwise mediocre porter barely drinkable. Way below Terrapin’s standards.

3.14/5  rDev -17.2%

I ordered this bottled last night and when I poured it there was zero head and the lacing was non-existent. Anyone else have this experience or can I blame the bar for poor storage?

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance Black bodied beer with a light khaki head that is short but creamy. There is some traces of lacing, and the head fades to a very thin layer rather quickly.

Aroma: There is a peanut-like aroma...I'd say it's pretty close to smelling a jar of peanut butter. It smells nice but that's the only thing I pick up.

Taste: There is a very mellow peanut flavor here but I'm not picking up any chocolate. It's important to note that the label says "chocolate peanut butter porter." Chocolate is listed first but it doesn't show up to this party. There is a bit of a woody aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It has a pretty good mouthfeel. I wouldn't say it's a completely full bodied beer but it's close to full. It is pretty smooth and easy enough to drink.

Overall: It was a decent beer but I wouldn't call it liquid bliss. If you're really into peanut butter I think you'd enjoy this beer. It has a good peanut flavor. If you are a chocolate lover I think you would be disappointed. The porter (just the beer) is average at best.

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

“Natural and artificial flavors”, hmmph. Not a great beginning to this, another attempt at a “chocolate peanut butter porter”. I’m ever hopeful some brewery is going to adequately capture the palate joy that is a Reese’s, but I know it’s also a tall task.

Appearance: Pretty much pours black, with only a hint of ruddy ruby. No lace to speak of, either.

Aroma: Some bittersweet cocoa, and a touch of saltiness. Not bad.

Taste: Odd and off, with some of the bittersweet cocoa and the peanut butter saltiness, but the overall palate sensation isn’t all there. It’s drinkable, but doesn’t contain the right balance and feel of the chocolate and peanut butter melding as I’d hoped for. I expect pretty solid beers from the dependable Terrapin, but this one doesn’t quite make it.

3.22/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass at about 45 degrees

A: Has a deep brown coloring to it with little light visibly passing through. as it pours, its a dirty murky color that doesnt really appear too appetizing, little head to speak of.

S: Dont know if it was the bottle or what, but this smelled like skunky raw earthy peanuts and raw malt liquor. Nothing blended well and it wasnt sweet at all.

T: Taste was mild, raw peanuts, slight cheap chocolate on the back end. Not sweet at all like I was expecting from this....again, beer may have been a bad batch?

M: Medium mouthfeel like I enjoy from porters. It was very easy drinking and has a good light oily feel that coated the mouth.

O: I just expected more. Maybe my expectations were high as I really was hoping for a liquified Reese cup and I got a cheap, sugar free peanut butter cup that was dropped in dirt and cooked with the reject peanuts of the batch. I'm aging my 2nd bottle to see what happens.

3.24/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not objectionable, I guess, but I'd never buy it again. For this style, I'd rather be drinking Sweet Baby Jesus (and that's not a favorite either). Weird sweet-plasticky aftertaste-- like how my old Strawberry Shortcake dolls used to smell. Not offensive, but not what I want in my beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Too much gimmick here for my tastes, was disappointed relative to other Terrapin offerings.
Poured dark brown almost black. Head was thin and dissipated quick
Aroma was wonderful, chocolate and peanut
Taste was the letdown, as I said earlier, the chocolate and nut flavor seemed to fight with the malt
Mouthfeel was full bodied, carbonation seemed light to me
Overall I like porters, but there are better offerings. Drinkable if you like gimmicks

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Looks ordinary; dark brown in color with a foamy cream colored head. Aroma was nice. I actually get some of the peanut butter aromas. There is also some slight chocolate. Flavor profile lacked what punch the aroma provided. Mildly reminiscent of the flavors on the label, but all in all, lackluster and poor. Chalky and thin on the body. Not the best beer from Terrapin. In fact, I opened a Founders Breakfast Stout and mixed about half of it with the remaining Terrapin beer to make it enjoyable.

Terrapin Liquid Bliss from Terrapin Beer Company