1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Liquid BlissTerrapin Liquid Bliss

pDev: 12%

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 241 | Reviews: 64 | Show All Ratings:
Chaney

District of Columbia

Served in an Olde Hickory shaped-glass.

A: Poured about as dark a brown as possible without it being totally noir. The head was rather anemic... maybe 1/10 of a head or so.

S: Actually, it smelled like your average, run-of-the-mill porter... minus the roast. Very faint and not very memorable.

T: Okay, I definitely got the peanut now. This is basically a standard porter, but in place of the roast, peanuts are use. Sounds kinda cool on paper, but the flavor left more to be desired. This reminds me of DuClaw's HERO porter, only that one is much better.

M: Here is where the brew really falters: This was painfully thin, approaching novice homebrew territory even. Seriously, this was about as thin as a dark brew gets. No booze detected, very low carbonation, but who cares?

O: When Terrapin is on, they're really on (Anniversary Shmaltz brown ale collaboration), but when they're off, you might as well hang it up. Sigh...

12-05-2012 01:17:12 | More by Chaney
shivtim

Georgia

I was excited to try this one, but I'm not a big fan. Probably my least favorite of Terrapin's side projects (some of which are phenomenal).
Pours out like cola. Brown and translucent at the edges with subtle reddish hints. No real head.
Nose is roasty malts and peanuts. Mostly one-noted. Tast is malt, peat, and earthy peanuts. I don't get creamy peanut butter, rather it's more like peanut shells. Chocolate doesn't come through.
Average mouthfeel. Still worth a try, but I won't be buying more.

01-17-2013 21:36:57 | More by shivtim
mondegreen

3.03/5  rDev -19.2%

22oz. into a Founders Balloon Tulip.

Pours pitch black with a light khaki head. Very little lacing.

Nose is very light. If I concentrate, I can pick up the smell of peanuts. Not much chocolate in the nose.

Taste is very subtle. The best descriptor I have is earthy. It doesn't taste much like peanuts or chocolate to me. I do get a hint of peanuts in the finish, but it's more of a suggestion than a flavor.

Mouth is a big let down. Very thin and too highly carbonated for the style.

I really wanted this to be an awesome beer. There is a picture of giant peanuts floating down a chocolate river on the label, after all. I was hoping for something bold and distinct, but this beer just comes off as a mediocre, but drinkable, porter.

11-13-2012 23:53:19 | More by mondegreen
Mavajo

3.03/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown/black pour with a tan head.

Aroma is muted. Barely getting anything here, aside from the typical "porter" aromas. A vague maltiness -- maybe peanut butter I guess? Probably just the power of suggestion, frankly. The taste is not much better. This is barely distinguishable from any other porter -- the most subtle notes of peanut butter, and no real chocolate flavor. If you're not paying attention, and if the label didn't tell you to look for it, I'm not sure you'd even notice the peanut butter here. This is basically a run-of-the-mill porter, but with the tiniest bit of peanut butter. Mouthfeel is fairly thin, which compounds the disappointment (Thin taste AND thin mouthfeel? Boo, I say.).

Nothing special. As far as porters go, it's a fairly decent one -- maybe even good. But this wasn't supposed to be yet another garden-variety porter -- it was supposed to be a wonderful medley of peanut butter and chocolate. The label promised me so! But Liquid Bliss fails to deliver. If you want a porter, fine, go ahead I guess. But at $7.99 for 22 oz, there are many better options out there.

11-19-2012 13:31:57 | More by Mavajo
mrmambo

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Was very disappointed—the peanut was all in the nose, almost nothing in the palette, and very little chocolate, if any. Thin porter; hard to even call it a chocolate porter. Nothing like a Reese's cup let alone the idyllic river of chocolate and peanut illustrated on the label.

Really quite a let down, given the label description and possibility for this style. I expected something more along the line of a Southern Tier release—not necessarily the cloying syrupyness of their Crème Brulee stout, but something with a full body and rich cocoa and roasty nut flavor.

And at a Six-Pack equivalent price of $26 it was enough to put me off Terrapin for a while.

- Appearance: Dark and roasty; typical porter
- Smell: Like peanut butter, as expected, but not very intense. Took a strong sniff to really get it in the nose. Almost no chocolate notes and very little roastiness of a typical porter.
- Taste: Disappointing--no peanut butter, very little chocolate, and just an "okay" porter. Not even very roasty, as would be typical. For a local Atlanta example, I'd rather crack a Sweetwater Exodus--much better example at this ABV.
- Mouthfeel: Too thin for the ABV and promise of the style. Felt closer to a 5% porter.
- Overall: Great idea, poor execution

11-20-2012 17:52:19 | More by mrmambo
JayS2629

Alabama

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Looks like a solid porter. Dark brown, almost black with a descent head that leaves nice lacing. Retention is ok.

The aroma is average. Mostly dark chocolate, a hint of roast...some milky lactose, hint of vanilla and maybe a faint hint of nuttiness? Where is the peanut butter? I get a hint.

I hate to do this, but my expectations were built up. I taste no peanut butter. Maybe if I close my eyes and use my imagination really hard I can get a hint. I smelled more peanut butteryness than taste. Dark chocolate, lactose, vanilla, and some roasty notes.

A little thin for a porter and just a bit prickly on the tongue.

Overall, disappointing. I wanted something a bit richer. When I think of "liquid bliss" and peanut butter and chocolate...i think decadent. They tried to be too subtle with this.

12-15-2012 03:00:34 | More by JayS2629
NODAK

Tennessee

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

The nose truly is dominated by the chocolate...semi-sweet chocolate. Only after a little opening up do I get somewhat of a whiff of some peanuts. But really, it's mostly chocolate.

Pours an opaque black on my glass with a thin glass with about no staying power at all.

Honestly, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me here, because the peanut taste is so light that I'm unclear if it's me or if it's the beer. Definitely notes of semi-sweet chocolate, it's the dominant taste in the beer. The peanut taste, again, really is in the background. HOwever, as a porter, it's pretty good all in all. Not for the price, though.

So my verdict is that it's pretty good for a porter...but I'm disappointed that I don't taste what should make this beer so unique.

12-08-2012 01:38:39 | More by NODAK
argock

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. No preshness date. Purchased at WIne Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $7.99.

A: Very dark brown with 1 finger of beige head with decent retention and one layer of lacing.

S: Aroma is pretty absent although there is some mild nutty and fudgy chocolate aromas. Not much for malts, definitely no hops.

T: The flavor is pretty so-so on both the chocolate and peanut butter accounts. If you are expecting strong flavors of either, you are not going to find them here. This beer is pretty bland with some subtle nutty flavors and a one-dimensional milk chocolate component that is blaze. No other real malt flavors.

M: Decent smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation and light-medium body.

O: A pretty underwhelming attempt at putting nutty and chocolate into a beer. While I am glad they didn't go overboard and try to supplement with artificial flavoring, Liquid Bliss is very low on flavor intensity and flavor overall. Sorry Terrapin -- this one is not a good SIde Project.

12-16-2012 05:32:02 | More by argock
russwbeck

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Black pour with a small, light-brown head. The head disappears pretty quickly and doesn't lace much at all.

S: It smells of chocolate and vanilla, but overall is pretty watered down. I can't get much peanut butter here, and I can't say it's all that inviting.

T: The taste is much better. It starts off with a big hit of sweet, delicious chocolate, which gives way to the peanut butter and some vanilla. The peanuts last on the back of your tongue seemingly forever. Overall, I wish the beer was a bit bigger, and that the flavors took over a bit more. It's not in the top two or three beer brewed with peanut butter I've had.

MF: Medium body with a normal amount of carbonation. The dry finish and lingering flavors are very nice and really bolster the drinkability.

O: I was actually disappointed here. It really wasn't anything special for me and certainly doesn't stand up to some of the other beers of similar style with similar ingredients.

12-29-2012 00:37:49 | More by russwbeck
hornsup

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass at about 45 degrees

A: Has a deep brown coloring to it with little light visibly passing through. as it pours, its a dirty murky color that doesnt really appear too appetizing, little head to speak of.

S: Dont know if it was the bottle or what, but this smelled like skunky raw earthy peanuts and raw malt liquor. Nothing blended well and it wasnt sweet at all.

T: Taste was mild, raw peanuts, slight cheap chocolate on the back end. Not sweet at all like I was expecting from this....again, beer may have been a bad batch?

M: Medium mouthfeel like I enjoy from porters. It was very easy drinking and has a good light oily feel that coated the mouth.

O: I just expected more. Maybe my expectations were high as I really was hoping for a liquified Reese cup and I got a cheap, sugar free peanut butter cup that was dropped in dirt and cooked with the reject peanuts of the batch. I'm aging my 2nd bottle to see what happens.

01-22-2013 03:30:41 | More by hornsup
Rickenbasser

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours dark brown with a tan head that dissipates quickly. A little bit of lacing. Looks good.

S - I was hoping to smell peanuts and chocolate, but I'm left disappointed. Smells like any other porter. Caramel.

T - Good porter tastes, but once again no real peanut flavors, very very faint chocolate. Caramel, a little bit of alcohol.

M - Feels like I'm drinking a pilsner. Very dry, no "coating" of the mouth.

O - I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. I'm a huge Terrapin fan and this is the first time I haven't loved a new release. I don't see this run being brought back. If you're a big Terrapin fan or porter lover try it's a decent pick up.

12-03-2012 21:32:18 | More by Rickenbasser
afluentturtle

3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mocha black with a lightish tan half finger of head. Decent Lacing down the glass.

Smell: Chocolate and peanuts, almost like a peanut butter cup candy. Some coffee and roasted malts also.

Taste: Nutty, sweet, not much chocolate. Hard to explain but the nut taste is almost artificial and just doesn't taste like a peanut or peanut butter should. Its not bad but not what I expected. Wish that it smelled as good as it tasted.

Mouthfeel: This is where the brew falls short. Very watery, moderate carbonation, but this beer feels so watered down that it just seems like i'm drinking peanut/chocolate flavored carbonated water.

Overall: I'm a big fan of chocolate porters/stouts and when I saw this I just had to try. I really hoped that this brew would be as good as the idea sounds, but was disappointed in the final result. I would not buy again unless the watered down mouth feel was fixed and the recipe was changed so that the peanut butter taste actually tasted like peanut butter.

01-07-2013 01:07:20 | More by afluentturtle
Onenote81

3.38/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

After avoiding the last half-dozen or so Side Projects due to my lack of interest in their styles, I was so excited when I heard that this one, a peanut butter chocolate Porter, would be their next release. I picked up a bottle as soon as it hit my local shop.

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Drank this one alone. Pours a deep dark impenetrable black with a thin beige head. I can hear this one fizzle and pop away, and before I know it, there isn't a trace of lace left. Underwhelming nose - chocolate, dry husky grains, and a bit of molasses. I expected a bit more potency.

After watching the frothy head dissipate so quickly, I thought this was going to be a bubbly mess. But really, this has such a pleasant creamy feel, and a perfect silky finish. They really nailed the mouth feel on this one. The flavor profile, unfortunately, also leaves me wanting. A good milky chocolate flavor starts this off, but sadly, also holds up the middle, and then closes it out. The PB presence, if any, is faintly noted in the aftertaste. I expected and wished for more PB flavor, but alas, I am let down. They really pulled off the chocolate part of the equation, but fell short on the PB part, which I think intrigued most people into buying this. I can get a chocolate-based Porter any day, so this really isn't anything special.

A decent beer, but it doesn't deliver as advertised.

12-18-2012 01:27:20 | More by Onenote81
jlindros

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to rudzud for sharing.

Light creamy fizzy head, fades almost instantly, very dark but bit of light coming through.

Nose nice peanut butter, roasted peanuts, bit of toasty and light powdered chocolate, light bready.

Taste is sticky syrupy sweet almost a mess of molasses sugar. Peanut butter again, light toasty nuts, very light watery powdered cocoa, light nutty and touch of bread. Thin but syrupy. Finish is dry but watery and light sticky, light bitterness and watery chocolate and but of peanut butter.

Mouth is med to thin bodied, decent but lighter carb.

Overall interesting to try, nice peanut butter flavors, but just way too thin and watery, and choc even tastes watered down, and it has that molasses sugar mess flavor which also adds a bit of meh.

06-06-2013 13:43:54 | More by jlindros
Beerandboards

New Mexico

3.41/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint

I drank this over two sittings. First one, I had the beer at cellar temp, ~50 degrees. Didnt chill it, poured about a 4oz pour. Hated it. Finished the pour and thought very seriously about drain pouring. However, I've never drain poured a craft beer. I basically refuse to do it. I've only disliked one other beer this badly before (hint it tastes like raspberry white wine and everyone frikiNG loves it...) Anyway, as I did with the prior instance, I put a wine cap on the bottle and put it in the fridge. Letting the beer oxidize in the fridge for 24hrs, sometimes it helps...

I took it out of the fridge tonight, a day later, and its much much better. Review is based on tonight's experience

A - Looks quite standard. Brown/black, tan loose foam, produces an inch or so of head that dissipates quite quickly.

S - A good amount of roasty peanuts. Some chocolate. Not much else. I want to give it a higher rating, because it really does hit the target quite well. Peanuts and chocolate. At the same time, its a novelty. There's no "peanut beer" style, if there were, this would be a 4.5. But, its a porter, so 3.

T - Hits the target really well. Peanuts and chocolate. Not super chewy or pronounced flavors of either one, but I'm not sure how you could really get a thick presentation of peanuts in a beer. The chocolate is a little thin, but comes through in the front, the peanut is more of an aftertaste almost. Think, you just at 2-3 dry roasted peanuts and then took a tiny sip of a Guinness. As a normal beer, this would be a 3-2.5, however, it really does do a good presentation of the peanut and chocolate. Its not really a combo that does well in beer, but this does about as good a job as could be, I gave it a 4 just because I dont know that you could do this a lot better.

M - Maybe if it were thicker, this would be better. In my mind, this would be a super thick, like Marshal Zubkov type thickness. If you could get these flavors in that thickness, I think it could be quite awesome. As it, thin, bubbly, meh.

O - Glad to try it. Would buy it again to share with beer geek buddies just to stretch, but would not buy it for myself.

M

02-20-2013 03:42:10 | More by Beerandboards
tut2528

3.41/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A: pours completely jet black, there a slight film that is created worth of head (if you even want to call it that) with very minimal lacing.

S: chocolate, nutty, smokey/burnt malt, with a strong creamy lactose in the background. pretty

T: dull and basic. subtle chocolate, and huge amount of nuttiness. also a strong lactose sugar in the finish.

M: so much water! this is way too light and if there was a bit more viscosity this could be a much better brew. doesn't leave much on the palate either.

O: glad to have tried this brew out as it sounded very intriguing. but Terrapin missed the mark on this side project.

04-13-2013 00:55:03 | More by tut2528
ColForbinBC

3.48/5  rDev -7.2%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

The body sits a dark brown, near black with a tan head that falls quickly. No lacing left behind whatsoever. I let this warm up to room temp to try and get the peanut butter to pop. A thick layer of dark chocolate with some lactic sweetness. Peanut butter is extremely muted. On the palate, layers of dark chocolate and lactic sweetness roll over the tongue. Peanut butter comes through a little bit, but is still faint. I get more of a salty peanut shell flavor than true peanut butter. Smooth, creamy feel, medium body. Low carbonation. Good feel overall. A bit of lingering bittersweet chocolate. This is a nice porter, but doesn't hit on the advertised flavors in the way I was hoping.

12-12-2012 02:27:15 | More by ColForbinBC
bigfnjoe

3.49/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a dark brown with a two finger dark tan head that quickly fades and leaves a thin layer across the top of the beer. Eh, the head was gone pretty fast...blah, but to be expected

S- a lot of peanuts come through in the nose...not peanut butter mind you, but peanuts, of the boiled variety. Not getting any chocolate to speak of. Eh....

T- as it warms, I get more of the chocolate than initially when it was cold...as for the peanut butter, it comes across more as a peanut taste than the sweetness you'd expect from the peanut butter. Not sure it delivers like I'd expect

M- medium bodied, on the thicker side.

O- not a bad beer, but I've had better chocolate peanut butter beers lately. This falls short.

02-03-2013 02:15:48 | More by bigfnjoe
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanx Damian74Shensky:

Into a nonic:

A: dark brown/black body yielding a two finger off-white head, slowly dies leaving slightly spider web foamy lacing in the wake

S: peanut butter, light chocolate, slight coffee as it warms

T: sweet through the chocolate and roasted peanuts takes a second place

M: light to medium, borderline watery yet still smooth, dry sweet aftertaste, sticky bitter finish

O: I never thought peanut butter could be done in any beer, this isn't bad, though I smelled peanut butter but tasted roasted peanuts says that this is interesting stuff, maybe not something I'd seek out again, but hey, I might have to pursue the idea of how well its done in other beers ...???

03-01-2013 17:46:16 | More by BeerKangaroo
Jadjunk

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

"Melt into another dimension with Terrapin's newest Side Project... 'Liquid Bliss'. This chocolate, peanut-butter porter concoction flows like a river of self-indulgent righteousness deep into the depths of your innermost childhood memory. Turn on, tune in, and drop out of this world for a tongue tripping experience of flavors never before so eloquently combined in a liquid or solid form." Brewed in the style of an American Porter with Chocolate and peanut butter added. This is side project 18 in Terrapin's lineup, released as a one-time brew in November 2012 in 22 oz. bottles.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a Terrapin snifter. Served north of 57º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a mocha cream brown head of a creamy light consistency over a very dark brown body. No lacing, retention is average. 3.5

(Smell) Aromas of lightly roasted malt, mild toasted caramel malt, a hint of peanut brittle sweetness, a seemingly growing sourness arrives with warmth. A very simple and light aroma, but with a pleasant sweetness and a mellow but discernible peanut character. Potency is medium. 3.75

(Taste) Flavors of dry toasted malts, a mild fruit tartness, some rapidly faded peanut and a touch of. Flavor is very mild and a lot of the subtleties are diminished. Some cocoa character and a subtle malt body remains, but it's not thoroughly enjoyable nor unique. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is unusually slick, crisp and light for a porter as well as the flavors involved. The body is just shy of medium for a porter and medium overall. Finish is chalky, acidic and tart with a mellow dryness. Alcohol presence is light. The texture was quite lacking for the style and the flavors. 3.25

(Overall) This beer has long ago dropped off, even after 9 months, most of the peanut and chocolate flavor has diminished and the remaining body isn't substantial enough to carry this beer on its own. Expect an awkward growing tartness, a slick, thin texture and a powdery dry finish. I'd like to get to try this again when fresh, should we get that opportunity once again. 3.5

Terrapin Beer Company's
Side Project 18: Liquid Bliss
3.5/5.00

08-17-2013 04:25:07 | More by Jadjunk
oline73

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not quite as sweet as I expected. This is definitely a dark chocolate beer. Nice roast level but the peanut butter is too mild. The favors don't pop and there's no real peanut butter in the smell. I would have liked more intensity in flavor and a thicker mouthfeel. I'd pass in the future.

01-15-2013 02:22:22 | More by oline73
avalon07

South Carolina

3.6/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a thick texture. There was a small amount of foamy, tan-colored head that quickly dissipated. Below average lacing.

S: A pretty good aroma of peanuts, malt, and chocolate.

T: Tasted of malt, chocolate, the advertised peanut butter, and light hops in the finish. Not a particularly bad flavor, but it isn't quite pushed far enough. Could have been better.

M: A below average amount of carbonation with a very smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This a beer that is better in concept than it is in execution. It has some good elements, but simply isn't quite there. Drinkable, but only just so.

11-29-2012 00:12:49 | More by avalon07
bum732

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -4%

S: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, raw, earthy peanuts. Reminds me of Reeses pieces.

L: Dark black, light tan carbonated head that dissipates.

T: Peanut up front with some chocolately, light malt. Low bitterness with some milk chocolate. finishes semi-sweet with some residual peanut.

M: Medium light bodied, medium carbonation.

Not bad, really light, I wouldn't mind a little more body and viscosity. Pretty good throughout, i really enjoyed the peanut taste, didn't expect too either.

01-18-2013 16:02:15 | More by bum732
zac16125

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle into a mug

A: Pours a thin appearing dark brown with lightening on the edges and 1.5 fingers width of mocha colored head. Leaves a few small patches of lacing.

S: Boiled peanuts and peanut butter aromas dominate. Milk chocolate. It does, indeed, smell like a reese's cup. I honestly dont get how others are't picking it up. In fact, its all I smell. Maybe a hint of roasted malt to go along with it, too. Aroma is great, but not very bold so it loses points.

T: Follows the nose, except chocolate is the most prominent flavor with peanuts taking a back seat. A hint of vanilla and bakers chocolate bitterness. Taste good, but like the aroma the taste is muted.

M/D: Really the down side of this beer. It is very thin. Carbonation is low, which helps give it a smooth feel and somewhat improves the mouthfeel, but theres almost no body to it at all. Drinkability is high.

O: Unlike others, I didn't have particularly high expectations for this one, as Ive never really been blown away but a standard (non-Baltic/low ABV) porter. So that being said, I was quite satisfied with is. My main complaint is it just needs to be bigger, from top to bottom. Stronger flavors and aromas, and a thicker body and this one could be special . The potential is there, and they did a good job bringing out the peanut characters, it overall just a little weak for my liking. But then again I am a whore for big beers. That being said, I really did enjoy it.

11-24-2012 13:15:22 | More by zac16125
wedge

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Pretty black in color with some caramel highlights and a moderate, creamy tan head. Definitely some peanuts in the aroma along with cocoa, dark fruity esters, and a hint of coffee beans. More of the peanut butter thing going on in the flavor...creamy, smooth, chocolaty sweetness, hardly any roast, more dark fruit. Smooth medium body. I eat quite a lot of peanut butter and while it doesn't hit the spot as well as I'd hoped, this is still pretty satisfying. I wish the chocolate malt dominated a little more though...

12-03-2012 00:11:47 | More by wedge