Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Liquid BlissTerrapin Liquid Bliss

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Liquid Bliss Alström Bros

djrn2, Jan 01, 2013

kjkinsey, Jan 04, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

ygtbsm94, Sep 22, 2014
4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

A: two finger tan head on a deep dark brown body with fairly thick lacing. Roasted malt, both roasted peanuts and peanut butter which is actually better represented in the aroma than I would expect. Roasted malt and toffee base with what I think is just the right amount of peanut butter flavor which I imagine required quite a large amount to be this prevalent. Fairly thick body and moderate carbonation. Much better than I was expecting. Nice degree of sweetness. Still a fairly simple brew.

kylehay2004, Jan 27, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, very dark brown body with a few glimmers of ruby when it catches the light. Modestly-sized, light beige head.

Smell: Dark maltiness, hints of sweetish chocolate, caramel and gentle roast mingled with the butter whats made of peanuts. Thin sliver of dark fruitiness.

Taste: Chocolate laced dark malts with the growing peanut butter flavor surrounding it like a German death squad. Hints of black olive, dark fruit. Rise of blonde caramel. Minimal hop character and bitterness. Semi-dry finish, soft in feel, with lingering flavors of peanuts.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Agreeably sleek mouthfeel.

Overall: Better than anticipated! Admittedly, while I don't have any particular beef with p-butter, I've never really reveled in it. As a kid, I ducked PBJ sandwiches and would readily trade away Reese's Peanut Butter Cups come Halloween.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 22, 2014

Knapp85, Aug 25, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

On tap at Sticks and Stones in Greensboro.Poured into a standard pint glass nearly pitch black with a minimal head.Aromas of roasted nuts and chocolate,to me almost like nutella with the chocolate and roasted nuts.Starts out semi sweet with chocolate standing out over top of molasses,the roasty nuttiness is a nice finish to the sweetness.Iam not normally really into these kinds of beers but I gotta say this wasn't to bad.

oberon, Dec 30, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Pitch black nice mocha tan head, forms evenly across the sides of my chalice, Big peanut butter nose, dark roasted malt provides chocolate, this is good stuff...dessert in a beer. Flavor brings more peanut butter notes with dark chocolate better than Sweet Baby Jesus, roasted malt and the peanut butter flavor mesh so well this is a treat. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied not something I could drink in number but it's oh so tasty on the palate. Overall the type of dark beer I wanna get to know again and again, great stuff from Athens, GA!!!

WVbeergeek, Aug 15, 2014

nickfl, Jun 10, 2014
3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Jason, Sep 11, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to rudzud for sharing.

Light creamy fizzy head, fades almost instantly, very dark but bit of light coming through.

Nose nice peanut butter, roasted peanuts, bit of toasty and light powdered chocolate, light bready.

Taste is sticky syrupy sweet almost a mess of molasses sugar. Peanut butter again, light toasty nuts, very light watery powdered cocoa, light nutty and touch of bread. Thin but syrupy. Finish is dry but watery and light sticky, light bitterness and watery chocolate and but of peanut butter.

Mouth is med to thin bodied, decent but lighter carb.

Overall interesting to try, nice peanut butter flavors, but just way too thin and watery, and choc even tastes watered down, and it has that molasses sugar mess flavor which also adds a bit of meh.

jlindros, Jun 06, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not quite as sweet as I expected. This is definitely a dark chocolate beer. Nice roast level but the peanut butter is too mild. The favors don't pop and there's no real peanut butter in the smell. I would have liked more intensity in flavor and a thicker mouthfeel. I'd pass in the future.

oline73, Jan 15, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Dark brown-black pour with a small mocha head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. I wasn't aware that this was a peanut butter beer, but one sniff, and it was pretty obvious; otherwise, chocolate malts, and not much else. Dark malts in the taste, pretty sweet and not a lot of roastiness, toasted grains, again, the peanut butter comes through, not so much that it's right in your face. Body was just barely on the fuller side of medium, with a slightly chewy texture, lower carbonation. Quite good overall.

Rifugium, Dec 04, 2012

mendvicdog, Dec 07, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

beernads, Feb 08, 2013

oriolesfan4, Dec 07, 2012

InspectorBob, Aug 08, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

I know, I know, more bottles, right? I was just in such a state of Bliss yesterday, following Wild Beer's Bliss that when I saw this at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop, I could not resist a little bit more Blissfulness in my life! It also occurs to me that it is brewed in Athens, Georgia, where that group of hard-charging partiers on "Party Down South" is based. Maybe they could take a tour of the brewery ... I'd love to see a hardcore AIPA in Daddy's funnel!

From the bottle: "Unlock your inner Zen and delve into the Yin[z] and Yang of two decadent flavors. Focus on the harmonic togetherness of chocolate and peanut butter as it takes you to a place that you never thought possible ... a 'liquid Bliss.'"; "'Brewed With Peace of Mind'".

I have said it before, but one of the things that I really dig about these dark-colored beers is the way that the pseudo-cascade is truly obvious when I employ a heavy-handed pour. Once it settled, it produced two-plus fingers of dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with excellent retention. I am going to call the color an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) because with settling, I am unable to get any light penetration. Nose smelled like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in my glass! It reminds me of my late Pops, who loved them and Tastykake Peanut Butter TandyTakes, white cakes with a top layer of peanut butter and fully enrobed in chocolate. Mouthfeel was medium, but I felt as though it should be fuller. Taste was spot-on chocolate and peanut butter. Wow! It was a bit sweet for my hophead palate, which is why I do not make it a regular thing at the Spring House Taproom, but it was truth in advertising. Finish was sweet, but not cloying, which would be a definite possibility with this admixture. I can take one at a time, but I am going back to something else after this.

woodychandler, Aug 16, 2014

orangesol, Mar 07, 2013
3.96/5  rDev +5%

A: Pours an opaque yet clear extremely dark brown in color (almost black) with light amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and some moderate amounts of coal brown + amber highlights. The beer has a half finger tall foamy tan head that reduces to medium to large sized patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of roasted malts, dark malts, cocoa, and a light aroma of peanut butter (more like a chocolate peanut version of Nutella).

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of dark malts with a lighter flavor of roasted malts. That is followed by a slightly sweet chocolate/cocoa peanut butter (similar to Nutella). Light amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly slick.

O: Definitely one of the better chocolate/peanut butter porters/stouts that I have tried, I have had a couple of other beers similar in style but this is one of the more successful - a nice combination of flavors without a lot of associated sweetness. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one.

dbrauneis, Aug 06, 2014