1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Liquid BlissTerrapin Liquid Bliss

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Liquid Bliss Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

tkdchampxi, Aug 20, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is two fingers high, and lighter tan in shade. Retention is fairly decent. The creamy texture leaves behind webbed lacing on the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Oh yeah, this smells great. Tons of milk chocolate, tons of roasted nuts, lesser dark chocolate, lesser general roast, and a goodly amount of hazelnut. These kinds of beers are always the same: killer on the nose, meh on the taste buds. I anticipate the same deal here, but wow does it smell great anyways. (4.25)

Taste: Aye, it's a definite step down. It opens up nicely with dark chocolate flavor, while the back end is loaded with notes of roast, nuts, and roasted nuts. I'm definitely getting a hazelnut vibe, albeit an artificial one. And therein lies the problem: it blatantly has a chemical tone to it. At least the gist of this beer (chocolate and peanut butter) is shown off nicely. (3)

Mouthfeel: Rather thin for the style, with decent carbonation poking through the semi-creamy body. As such, it goes down easily, even with the sweet linger. (3.5)

Overall: I could just smell this all day. Tasting it, though, is a different matter entirely. It's EXACTLY the way I anticipated it to be: smells awesome, tastes meh. This has a definite mainstream appeal, so I can't be too hard on it. (3.25)

3.38/5: Worth a try, just don't expect it to taste like it smells

3.84/5  rDev +1.6%

marcfromphilly, Aug 18, 2014

jaemeno3, Aug 17, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Well this is confusing new to this weird rating system. Guess reviewing days are over :( Looks like a porter. Smells like it should I would say stale peanut butter cups with a dash of earthy hops. Taste is the same, porter like with added resse's cups. Brew is pretty much like it says it is, just a little too weird for me to want to have again.

mntlover, Aug 17, 2014

olbubba, Aug 17, 2014

Gtreid, Aug 16, 2014

TheSleepyMonkey, Aug 16, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

I know, I know, more bottles, right? I was just in such a state of Bliss yesterday, following Wild Beer's Bliss that when I saw this at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop, I could not resist a little bit more Blissfulness in my life! It also occurs to me that it is brewed in Athens, Georgia, where that group of hard-charging partiers on "Party Down South" is based. Maybe they could take a tour of the brewery ... I'd love to see a hardcore AIPA in Daddy's funnel!

From the bottle: "Unlock your inner Zen and delve into the Yin[z] and Yang of two decadent flavors. Focus on the harmonic togetherness of chocolate and peanut butter as it takes you to a place that you never thought possible ... a 'liquid Bliss.'"; "'Brewed With Peace of Mind'".

I have said it before, but one of the things that I really dig about these dark-colored beers is the way that the pseudo-cascade is truly obvious when I employ a heavy-handed pour. Once it settled, it produced two-plus fingers of dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with excellent retention. I am going to call the color an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) because with settling, I am unable to get any light penetration. Nose smelled like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in my glass! It reminds me of my late Pops, who loved them and Tastykake Peanut Butter TandyTakes, white cakes with a top layer of peanut butter and fully enrobed in chocolate. Mouthfeel was medium, but I felt as though it should be fuller. Taste was spot-on chocolate and peanut butter. Wow! It was a bit sweet for my hophead palate, which is why I do not make it a regular thing at the Spring House Taproom, but it was truth in advertising. Finish was sweet, but not cloying, which would be a definite possibility with this admixture. I can take one at a time, but I am going back to something else after this.

woodychandler, Aug 16, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Pitch black nice mocha tan head, forms evenly across the sides of my chalice, Big peanut butter nose, dark roasted malt provides chocolate, this is good stuff...dessert in a beer. Flavor brings more peanut butter notes with dark chocolate better than Sweet Baby Jesus, roasted malt and the peanut butter flavor mesh so well this is a treat. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied not something I could drink in number but it's oh so tasty on the palate. Overall the type of dark beer I wanna get to know again and again, great stuff from Athens, GA!!!

WVbeergeek, Aug 15, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

A - obsidian black with a thin caramel colored head, a little retention, and a small amount of lacing.

S - smells a lot like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

T - taste is a little bit of caramel malt with a hint of roastiness. I do get some chocolate and some coffee,
but the peanut flavor is kind of repressed.

M - thin with average carbonation and a slight aftertaste

O - a good beer, but it seems to fall a little short of what might have been intended.

Mojo, Aug 15, 2014

I picked up mixed brewery hand-picked variety pack at the Lawrenceville NJ Joe Canal’s. Among the beers was this Terrapin Liquid Bliss Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter 12-ounce bottle, which I poured into my Duvel Belgian Tulip glass for tasting purposes.

A: A semi-aggressive pour yielded a 1/2” beige head that quickly shrunk to a thin ring. This beer is dark drown with just a hint of light coming through my glass when held up in the air. Lacing tried its best to cling, but to no avail.

S: The aroma was that of sweet malt, chocolate, vanilla and a hint of oats. I didn’t catch any peanut butter though, which I was anticipating. After letting the beer sit for a few minutes and swirling the glass a few times, the chocolate aroma become more prevalent. I do catch just a hint of peanut butter, but it quickly goes away.

T: The malty dark chocolate bitterness starts if off. Weird, I really don’t get the peanut butter taste like I did when I had the Duclaw Sweet Baby Jesus. I’ll be honest, I was really looking forward to having the chocolate peanut butter mix with each sip, but I don’t get it at all. Still it’s a pretty darn good “chocolate” porter. Vanilla caramel also comes to mind in the middle, but finishes dry and slightly bitter.

M: The carbonation is spot on, but I thought it was rather thin for a porter. The finish is clean and smooth. What remains on the tongue is a burnt taste, similar to what I get when I drink coffee. Not in a bad way though. The ABV was perfect. Not too high, not too low.

O: A pretty solid porter that I would buy and drink again. I really do like the Terrapin beers, especially the Moo Hoo and Wake “N” Bake. They are by far my two favorites from this brewery. With that said, I would have enjoyed this more with an additional peanut butter flavor. The chocolate was dominant and the peanut butter really just took a back seat.

cmq103, Aug 15, 2014