Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012

Reviews: 178 | Hads: 1,197
3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

After avoiding the last half-dozen or so Side Projects due to my lack of interest in their styles, I was so excited when I heard that this one, a peanut butter chocolate Porter, would be their next release. I picked up a bottle as soon as it hit my local shop.

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Drank this one alone. Pours a deep dark impenetrable black with a thin beige head. I can hear this one fizzle and pop away, and before I know it, there isn't a trace of lace left. Underwhelming nose - chocolate, dry husky grains, and a bit of molasses. I expected a bit more potency.

After watching the frothy head dissipate so quickly, I thought this was going to be a bubbly mess. But really, this has such a pleasant creamy feel, and a perfect silky finish. They really nailed the mouth feel on this one. The flavor profile, unfortunately, also leaves me wanting. A good milky chocolate flavor starts this off, but sadly, also holds up the middle, and then closes it out. The PB presence, if any, is faintly noted in the aftertaste. I expected and wished for more PB flavor, but alas, I am let down. They really pulled off the chocolate part of the equation, but fell short on the PB part, which I think intrigued most people into buying this. I can get a chocolate-based Porter any day, so this really isn't anything special.

A decent beer, but it doesn't deliver as advertised. (1,384 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Purchased from local Butcher shop and poured into Great Lakes pint glass. Not too big of a head, dissipates to leave a small amount of lacing. Nice aroma with hints of roasted peanut and malt. As has been mentioned, the flavors are quite subtle, but I like that. If any one flavor was overpowering, everyone would complain about that instead. Overall a very delicious porter with nice attributes that I would go back to again if it wasn't so limited. Glad I got to try it. (472 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. No preshness date. Purchased at WIne Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $7.99.

A: Very dark brown with 1 finger of beige head with decent retention and one layer of lacing.

S: Aroma is pretty absent although there is some mild nutty and fudgy chocolate aromas. Not much for malts, definitely no hops.

T: The flavor is pretty so-so on both the chocolate and peanut butter accounts. If you are expecting strong flavors of either, you are not going to find them here. This beer is pretty bland with some subtle nutty flavors and a one-dimensional milk chocolate component that is blaze. No other real malt flavors.

M: Decent smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation and light-medium body.

O: A pretty underwhelming attempt at putting nutty and chocolate into a beer. While I am glad they didn't go overboard and try to supplement with artificial flavoring, Liquid Bliss is very low on flavor intensity and flavor overall. Sorry Terrapin -- this one is not a good SIde Project. (1,029 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

appearance: Very dark brown. Nearly opaque (some strong ruby highlights). Large bubble mocha head.
smell: Those Ga. boiled peanuts right up front. The chocolate is little more subdued but gives a full creamy base. Don't think I've ever smelled peanuts in a beer. This works.
taste: Again, peanuts front and center. Smooth porter.
overall: Gotta ratchet up the score on this fine experiment. This works and works well. (417 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -19%

Looks like a solid porter. Dark brown, almost black with a descent head that leaves nice lacing. Retention is ok.

The aroma is average. Mostly dark chocolate, a hint of roast...some milky lactose, hint of vanilla and maybe a faint hint of nuttiness? Where is the peanut butter? I get a hint.

I hate to do this, but my expectations were built up. I taste no peanut butter. Maybe if I close my eyes and use my imagination really hard I can get a hint. I smelled more peanut butteryness than taste. Dark chocolate, lactose, vanilla, and some roasty notes.

A little thin for a porter and just a bit prickly on the tongue.

Overall, disappointing. I wanted something a bit richer. When I think of "liquid bliss" and peanut butter and chocolate...i think decadent. They tried to be too subtle with this. (801 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -8.5%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

The body sits a dark brown, near black with a tan head that falls quickly. No lacing left behind whatsoever. I let this warm up to room temp to try and get the peanut butter to pop. A thick layer of dark chocolate with some lactic sweetness. Peanut butter is extremely muted. On the palate, layers of dark chocolate and lactic sweetness roll over the tongue. Peanut butter comes through a little bit, but is still faint. I get more of a salty peanut shell flavor than true peanut butter. Smooth, creamy feel, medium body. Low carbonation. Good feel overall. A bit of lingering bittersweet chocolate. This is a nice porter, but doesn't hit on the advertised flavors in the way I was hoping. (724 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -17.5%

The nose truly is dominated by the chocolate...semi-sweet chocolate. Only after a little opening up do I get somewhat of a whiff of some peanuts. But really, it's mostly chocolate.

Pours an opaque black on my glass with a thin glass with about no staying power at all.

Honestly, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me here, because the peanut taste is so light that I'm unclear if it's me or if it's the beer. Definitely notes of semi-sweet chocolate, it's the dominant taste in the beer. The peanut taste, again, really is in the background. HOwever, as a porter, it's pretty good all in all. Not for the price, though.

So my verdict is that it's pretty good for a porter...but I'm disappointed that I don't taste what should make this beer so unique. (766 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%

A: pours black with a finger of tan head that fades into a frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: true to its description, peanut butter and chocolate dominate the nose with subtler notes of roasted malts and smoke

T: the roasted malts are more present here with semi-sweet chocolate and peanut butter. The finish has some slight char notes.

M: medium-thick body with lowish carbonation, this beer is slightly watery.

O: a good beer overall. Simplistic, but it is like drinking a Reese's cup. It would be nice if it had a creamier body and the chocolate/peanut butter were a bit more present in the flavor. (610 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle poured unto my Founders glass, Close to black in color with a foamy, dark tan colored head to it. Decent lacing. Pretty nice looking beer of the style overall.

Aroma shows off the peanuts pretty well without being overwhelming. Milky chocolate and roasted malts blend in well. It comes together surprisingly well.

The taste shows a little more of the chocolate to it, which I like. The peanuts are a little more reserved at first, but compliment very well in the finish. Some roasted malts in the finish as well.

The mouthfeel is thin for the style and just a little creamy. Carbonation is average. Overall, I thought it was a pretty solid beer. It came together much better then I anticipated. I thought the chocolate and peanut butter were well balanced and very flavorful. Very nice beer overall. (816 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

Served in an Olde Hickory shaped-glass.

A: Poured about as dark a brown as possible without it being totally noir. The head was rather anemic... maybe 1/10 of a head or so.

S: Actually, it smelled like your average, run-of-the-mill porter... minus the roast. Very faint and not very memorable.

T: Okay, I definitely got the peanut now. This is basically a standard porter, but in place of the roast, peanuts are use. Sounds kinda cool on paper, but the flavor left more to be desired. This reminds me of DuClaw's HERO porter, only that one is much better.

M: Here is where the brew really falters: This was painfully thin, approaching novice homebrew territory even. Seriously, this was about as thin as a dark brew gets. No booze detected, very low carbonation, but who cares?

O: When Terrapin is on, they're really on (Anniversary Shmaltz brown ale collaboration), but when they're off, you might as well hang it up. Sigh... (931 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Dark brown-black pour with a small mocha head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. I wasn't aware that this was a peanut butter beer, but one sniff, and it was pretty obvious; otherwise, chocolate malts, and not much else. Dark malts in the taste, pretty sweet and not a lot of roastiness, toasted grains, again, the peanut butter comes through, not so much that it's right in your face. Body was just barely on the fuller side of medium, with a slightly chewy texture, lower carbonation. Quite good overall. (561 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

22oz bottle from Sherlock's (Marietta, GA). 7.99. Bottled 11/2012. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours dark brown with a half finger pale tan head. Small patches of lacing.

Smells of peanut butter cups, brown sugar and something slightly metallic. Very interesting.

Taste is bittersweet bakers cocoa, peanuts, dark malts and an almost vegetable oily aspect. Particularly as it warms, the peanuts are pretty consistent.

Medium light but still creamy body with moderate carbonation. Long oily finish full of nice peanutty character.

Wow. It's not quite everything I'd hoped for but I really like how much authentic peanut flavor this has. I think Spike is on the right track with this unique offering and I hope that he continues to explore the use of peanuts in his dark beers. (786 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +4%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours nearly pitch black with a finger of dense off white head. Head retention is quite good.

S: Interesting, upfront I get a mixture of salty peanut shells and chewy peanut butter mixing nicely with dark chocolate. I'd like a little more sweetness and a bit more peanut butter than peanut shells, but this has a decent aroma.

T: The peanut is a bit more in the background in the flavor than in the nose, but the peanut shell I got in the aroma is all gone now. Dark chocolate is also there along with a bit of creamy milk chocolate, making the peanut butter a bit more believable. This is nice, but could use a bit more richness - I think a heftier base beer would help out.

M: Medium thickness and quite creamy. I would like a bit more thickness given the description, but it's good.

O: This is a good beer that could be great. They should have used the WnB base for this beer and amped up the peanut butter a bit. Either way, it's a good beer. And a peanut butter beer with no infection! (1,025 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12.4%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours dark brown with a tan head that dissipates quickly. A little bit of lacing. Looks good.

S - I was hoping to smell peanuts and chocolate, but I'm left disappointed. Smells like any other porter. Caramel.

T - Good porter tastes, but once again no real peanut flavors, very very faint chocolate. Caramel, a little bit of alcohol.

M - Feels like I'm drinking a pilsner. Very dry, no "coating" of the mouth.

O - I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. I'm a huge Terrapin fan and this is the first time I haven't loved a new release. I don't see this run being brought back. If you're a big Terrapin fan or porter lover try it's a decent pick up. (686 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

Pretty black in color with some caramel highlights and a moderate, creamy tan head. Definitely some peanuts in the aroma along with cocoa, dark fruity esters, and a hint of coffee beans. More of the peanut butter thing going on in the flavor...creamy, smooth, chocolaty sweetness, hardly any roast, more dark fruit. Smooth medium body. I eat quite a lot of peanut butter and while it doesn't hit the spot as well as I'd hoped, this is still pretty satisfying. I wish the chocolate malt dominated a little more though... (519 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Basically black with a small dark brown dense head.

S: This smells pretty awesome. Chocolate, peanut butter, roasted coffee beans, cookies. Very pleasant and tantalizing.

T: Kind of like peanut chocolate liquor. Interesting... A little brighter than expected from the heavy candy-like aroma.

M: Full body, creamy, soft, and slick texture.

O: This is a fun beer experience. Peanuts + beer? Yes. I'd like to see more brewers take a stab at this combination. (462 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5%

22 oz bottle from Ned's. Shared with Erin.

Appearance: Its a nice looking black, with an off white head that lasts about 3 seconds. Head retention probably killed by peanuts.

Smell: Very chocolatey and nutty. The aroma is not clearly "peanut butter". There's a touch of Folgers crystals in there too. Very similar to Moo Hoo actually, less the nuttiness.

Taste: Its pretty damn good actually. Its really a very solid porter underneath the gimmick, which is good. Again, very much like their Moo Hoo , with added nuttiness. These guys know how to make a chocolatey beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, and a surprisingly clean finish. Not a sweet bomb.

Overall: I like this beer quite a bit, even though I'm not big on gimmicks. This is a well made beer, with a little gimmick on top. (793 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bomber picked up at Greens on Buford Hwy

A - A deep, dark brown/almost black. No head, no lace

S - Peanuts! Right in your face. Maybe boiled peanuts. Peanut butter, and chocolate. Very nice

T - Peanut butter and lighter on the chocolate. Very prevalent. Hidden alcohol. Not overwhelming on the taste buds. Kind of a lighter porter

M - Thin body and not much carbonation

O - A tasty porter, with certainly a different experiment than anything I have ever tried. Its good, but not was not knocked out of the park. But I love the continued experiments in the side project series. Until the next one... (610 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a thick texture. There was a small amount of foamy, tan-colored head that quickly dissipated. Below average lacing.

S: A pretty good aroma of peanuts, malt, and chocolate.

T: Tasted of malt, chocolate, the advertised peanut butter, and light hops in the finish. Not a particularly bad flavor, but it isn't quite pushed far enough. Could have been better.

M: A below average amount of carbonation with a very smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This a beer that is better in concept than it is in execution. It has some good elements, but simply isn't quite there. Drinkable, but only just so. (661 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Pours dark cola-brown with lighter brown edges and a mocha head that settles to a thin ring and patchy haze. Definitely getting some peanut butter, chocolate, and cookies. Reminds me of a Girl Scout Tagalong cookie. Taste is pretty close, authentic peanut butter flavors, chocolate, dark malt, vanilla, and sugar cookie. Really nice concoction. Mouthfeel is smooth, with a medium body and good carbonation. Really neat beer, one of the better Terrapin offering of late(and easily the most memorable). (500 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

22oz bottle into a mug

A: Pours a thin appearing dark brown with lightening on the edges and 1.5 fingers width of mocha colored head. Leaves a few small patches of lacing.

S: Boiled peanuts and peanut butter aromas dominate. Milk chocolate. It does, indeed, smell like a reese's cup. I honestly dont get how others are't picking it up. In fact, its all I smell. Maybe a hint of roasted malt to go along with it, too. Aroma is great, but not very bold so it loses points.

T: Follows the nose, except chocolate is the most prominent flavor with peanuts taking a back seat. A hint of vanilla and bakers chocolate bitterness. Taste good, but like the aroma the taste is muted.

M/D: Really the down side of this beer. It is very thin. Carbonation is low, which helps give it a smooth feel and somewhat improves the mouthfeel, but theres almost no body to it at all. Drinkability is high.

O: Unlike others, I didn't have particularly high expectations for this one, as Ive never really been blown away but a standard (non-Baltic/low ABV) porter. So that being said, I was quite satisfied with is. My main complaint is it just needs to be bigger, from top to bottom. Stronger flavors and aromas, and a thicker body and this one could be special . The potential is there, and they did a good job bringing out the peanut characters, it overall just a little weak for my liking. But then again I am a whore for big beers. That being said, I really did enjoy it. (1,460 characters)

Poured into a tulip. Pitch black with a finger's width brown head. A little bit of lacing down the sides of the glass.

Boiled peanuts dominate the nose along with a sweet roasted malt aroma and a touch of chocolate.

A toasted peanut and sweet roasted malt flavor. The flavors are nicely balanced, one is not stronger than the other. Well done. These flavors continue to the finish where a semi-sweet chocolate joins the party. The finish is smoky, roasted peanut chocolate.

Light bodied with low carbonation. Smooth feel to it.

Very impressed with the combination and balance of flavors. I would think that it would be difficult to find the right combination to blend all of these strong flavors together, but they pulled it off. (734 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -18.8%

Was very disappointed—the peanut was all in the nose, almost nothing in the palette, and very little chocolate, if any. Thin porter; hard to even call it a chocolate porter. Nothing like a Reese's cup let alone the idyllic river of chocolate and peanut illustrated on the label.

Really quite a let down, given the label description and possibility for this style. I expected something more along the line of a Southern Tier release—not necessarily the cloying syrupyness of their Crème Brulee stout, but something with a full body and rich cocoa and roasty nut flavor.

And at a Six-Pack equivalent price of $26 it was enough to put me off Terrapin for a while.

- Appearance: Dark and roasty; typical porter
- Smell: Like peanut butter, as expected, but not very intense. Took a strong sniff to really get it in the nose. Almost no chocolate notes and very little roastiness of a typical porter.
- Taste: Disappointing--no peanut butter, very little chocolate, and just an "okay" porter. Not even very roasty, as would be typical. For a local Atlanta example, I'd rather crack a Sweetwater Exodus--much better example at this ABV.
- Mouthfeel: Too thin for the ABV and promise of the style. Felt closer to a 5% porter.
- Overall: Great idea, poor execution (1,265 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle, fresh release. Served at around 55-60F.

Pours very dark brown to black with a two finger brown head that recedes to a small cap and only leaves a few spots of lacing behind.

Aroma is roasted malts, dark chocolate, peanuts and peanut butter, hints of coffee, dark fruit and herbal hops. Good to very good strength.

Flavor is nice, starts with chocolate and roasted malts and the boiled peanuts and peanut butter come through more in the finish. Picking up some mild dark fruits as well. Minimal alcohol. Mildly sweet, mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium bodied, somewhat sticky, low-ish carbonation.

Pretty good stuff and quite unique. Had real high hopes for this one and it mostly lives up. Not quite as big or bold in the chocolate and peanut butter flavors as I would have liked and more body would help too. Still, they pretty much got what they were aiming for as the peanut butter and chocolate are the predominant flavors here. (973 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown/black pour with a tan head.

Aroma is muted. Barely getting anything here, aside from the typical "porter" aromas. A vague maltiness -- maybe peanut butter I guess? Probably just the power of suggestion, frankly. The taste is not much better. This is barely distinguishable from any other porter -- the most subtle notes of peanut butter, and no real chocolate flavor. If you're not paying attention, and if the label didn't tell you to look for it, I'm not sure you'd even notice the peanut butter here. This is basically a run-of-the-mill porter, but with the tiniest bit of peanut butter. Mouthfeel is fairly thin, which compounds the disappointment (Thin taste AND thin mouthfeel? Boo, I say.).

Nothing special. As far as porters go, it's a fairly decent one -- maybe even good. But this wasn't supposed to be yet another garden-variety porter -- it was supposed to be a wonderful medley of peanut butter and chocolate. The label promised me so! But Liquid Bliss fails to deliver. If you want a porter, fine, go ahead I guess. But at $7.99 for 22 oz, there are many better options out there. (1,107 characters)

Terrapin Liquid Bliss from Terrapin Beer Company