1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Liquid BlissTerrapin Liquid Bliss

pDev: 12%

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 241 | Reviews: 64 | Show All Ratings:
RonfromJersey

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%

Black body, ruby highlights, two fingers of light tan foam that rapidly decayed to a tabletop.

Aroma is an inviting assertive blend of chocolate and peanuts.

Taste is...exactly as promised. A quick malt base, followed by big, big chocolate and peanut butter, good stuff too.bite of ops at the swallow. Big chocolate finish, like Dark Hershey syrup.

Smooth rich mouthfeel, no surprise here.

A terrific nitecap or dessert beer. Seek it out.

01-13-2013 04:45:42 | More by RonfromJersey
Daktah

3.79/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Almost black pour with no head retention and little lacing. Great smell to start - chocolate comes through and a little of the maltiness. Taste is more chocolate, but somewhat subdued by the peanuts. They didn't really make it salty, but definitely balanced the sweetness and chocolate flavor. A very interesting beer and one that I would try again.

01-10-2013 22:11:01 | More by Daktah
Dope

A: Pours black with a good sized and fluffy light brown head. Fades at a moderate pace. Decent retention but almost no sign of lacing. Just a little splotch here and there.

S: Yeap, peanut butter/peanuts and lots of it. Fudgy too. Kinda reminds me of Nutella even though that's chocolate/hazelnut. Not much "beer" aroma but chocolate/peanut butter wins every time.

T: Well, pretty much what you'd expect. Chocolatey initially and then the peanut butter kicks in. Lingering chocolate aftertaste.

M: A touch thin (only 6.7% ABV) but very smooth and creamy at the same time.

O: Simple and thin porter but it does exactly what it says it's going to do. Pretty much pure chocolate and peanut butter with good balance between the flavors. Thin but creamy mouthfeel, wouldn't have minded a bit thicker but it turned out well. Not much in the way of actual porter characteristics but given what they were going for, I call this one a success. Would love to try an imperial version of this with a thicker mouthfeel and stronger aroma/flavors.

01-07-2013 03:40:22 | More by Dope
afluentturtle

3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mocha black with a lightish tan half finger of head. Decent Lacing down the glass.

Smell: Chocolate and peanuts, almost like a peanut butter cup candy. Some coffee and roasted malts also.

Taste: Nutty, sweet, not much chocolate. Hard to explain but the nut taste is almost artificial and just doesn't taste like a peanut or peanut butter should. Its not bad but not what I expected. Wish that it smelled as good as it tasted.

Mouthfeel: This is where the brew falls short. Very watery, moderate carbonation, but this beer feels so watered down that it just seems like i'm drinking peanut/chocolate flavored carbonated water.

Overall: I'm a big fan of chocolate porters/stouts and when I saw this I just had to try. I really hoped that this brew would be as good as the idea sounds, but was disappointed in the final result. I would not buy again unless the watered down mouth feel was fixed and the recipe was changed so that the peanut butter taste actually tasted like peanut butter.

01-07-2013 01:07:20 | More by afluentturtle
ediaz

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

A: dark brown with a 1 finger light beige head. appropriate.

S: peanuts, peanut butter, chocolate

T: well ill be damned its actually pretty tasty. tastes like a watered down reeses peanut butter cup with a finish if dark chocolate, if that makes any sense.

M: Light with medium carbonation. nothing remarkable.

O: im enjoying this one more than I expected to. I would probably get this again, though it might be a bit. I got it for the novelty and Terrapin did a great job with what they were trying to do with that.

01-06-2013 03:06:21 | More by ediaz
tmm313

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

I had this limited release fresh and on-tap at Terrapin Brewery almost a year ago. I typically only have 2 pints of anything, but this one was different. I had 5 or 6 or 7. I COULD NOT get enough of it. To this day, all of my experiences with beer are judged against that night of "Liquid Bliss". The following excerpt from their website hits the nail on the head:

"We always love a good experimental brew here at Terrapin, but the salty-sweet combo of peanuts and chocolate has us all salivating a little more than usual. This brew, while smooth and mellow, still manages to challenge your tastebuds. The porter base is dark and smooth, with enough backbone to support the richer chocolate and peanut butter additions. It’s even dry “peanuted” with brewery-boiled green peanuts! Here’s to the candy-loving kid in all of us!"

Style: Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter
Released: November 2012 - ABV: 6.7 %, IBU: 23, OG: 15.4, FG: 5.0
Hops: US Golding
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Wheat, Crystal 85, Crystal 120, Chocolate Wheat, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt
Other: Peanut Butter, Boiled GA Peanuts, Olive & Sinclair Cocoa Nibs

01-06-2013 02:11:36 | More by tmm313
Duff27

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Half inch short lives head leaves a small collar. Brown body with lighter edges. Some lacing left.

Chocolate on the nose. Maybe if I close my eyes and focus I'd pick out some peanut butter.

Pick up on the peanut butter cuppiness. May only guess chocolate if i didnt know there was peanut butter in this. Pretty easy drinking.

Good carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

Overall it was decent. Wouldn't go out of my way for it but worth a try if it's in front of ya. Thanks the share egrace84.

01-05-2013 21:22:35 | More by Duff27
Treyliff

West Virginia

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a snifter

A- pours a pitch black color with a small fizzy head that reduces quickly leaving just a foamy ring with no lace.

S- peanut butter, with some chocolate and slightly roasted notes, even a bit of chocolate nutty fudge

T- the peanut butter is definitely there, the nuttiness of it provides a dryness throughout the palate. Some chocolaty notes gives way to a slightly sweet-yet-dry finish.

M- medium body with low carbonation, slightly creamy mouthfeel with a smooth finish

O- I love peanut butter, so I was a fan of this beer. However, I would have liked to see an even more peanut forward profile in this one. Nonetheless. This makes a great dessert beer and one that peanut butter lovers will enjoy.

01-01-2013 05:16:15 | More by Treyliff
axeman9182

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

Served on tap in a teardrop shaped glass, a 12 oz pour at the Cloverleaf Tavern.

Terrapin Liquid Bliss pours solid black, with just over a finger of dark khaki colored foam topping the beer. Head retention is alright, and lacing is minimal. The nose is nice, with dark chocolate and fresh roasted peanuts mingling and being buttressed by a bit of roasty grain. I just wish the aromatics were a bit more potent. The flavor profile leads off with a bit of roastiness, which quickly fades into an impressively authentic peanut flavor. A brief splash of dark chocolate provides the finish. The balance is just a little bit off though, as the peanuts don't leave much room for anything else. The carbonation, while serviceable, isn't great. The body could stand to be a little more full, and the carbonation's got a bit too much kick for my taste. It's my impression that peanut/peanut butter beers aren't the easiest to brew, but Terrapin had done an admirable job with Liquid Bliss.

01-01-2013 02:21:54 | More by axeman9182
oberon

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at Sticks and Stones in Greensboro.Poured into a standard pint glass nearly pitch black with a minimal head.Aromas of roasted nuts and chocolate,to me almost like nutella with the chocolate and roasted nuts.Starts out semi sweet with chocolate standing out over top of molasses,the roasty nuttiness is a nice finish to the sweetness.Iam not normally really into these kinds of beers but I gotta say this wasn't to bad.

12-30-2012 01:38:44 | More by oberon
russwbeck

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Black pour with a small, light-brown head. The head disappears pretty quickly and doesn't lace much at all.

S: It smells of chocolate and vanilla, but overall is pretty watered down. I can't get much peanut butter here, and I can't say it's all that inviting.

T: The taste is much better. It starts off with a big hit of sweet, delicious chocolate, which gives way to the peanut butter and some vanilla. The peanuts last on the back of your tongue seemingly forever. Overall, I wish the beer was a bit bigger, and that the flavors took over a bit more. It's not in the top two or three beer brewed with peanut butter I've had.

MF: Medium body with a normal amount of carbonation. The dry finish and lingering flavors are very nice and really bolster the drinkability.

O: I was actually disappointed here. It really wasn't anything special for me and certainly doesn't stand up to some of the other beers of similar style with similar ingredients.

12-29-2012 00:37:49 | More by russwbeck
shand

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Liquid Bliss pours a brown color with a small head. The aroma is good, there's a strong chocolate aroma over roastiness and a hint of nuts. As the beer warms, the nuts become much more apparent. The taste is very nice once you let it warm. The whole peanut and chocolate thing really comes through about an hour after taking it out from the fridge. Any sooner, and the flavors don't quite meld together. After a solid warming period, the peanut and chocolate flavors really work. The aftertaste is a bit muted though, a nice finish would have really made this beer, and it's just a little lacking. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and decently carbonated, and the drinkablity is great. Overall, this is a good experiment that just misses greatness. Still worth trying out though.

12-22-2012 02:50:31 | More by shand
Onenote81

3.38/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

After avoiding the last half-dozen or so Side Projects due to my lack of interest in their styles, I was so excited when I heard that this one, a peanut butter chocolate Porter, would be their next release. I picked up a bottle as soon as it hit my local shop.

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Drank this one alone. Pours a deep dark impenetrable black with a thin beige head. I can hear this one fizzle and pop away, and before I know it, there isn't a trace of lace left. Underwhelming nose - chocolate, dry husky grains, and a bit of molasses. I expected a bit more potency.

After watching the frothy head dissipate so quickly, I thought this was going to be a bubbly mess. But really, this has such a pleasant creamy feel, and a perfect silky finish. They really nailed the mouth feel on this one. The flavor profile, unfortunately, also leaves me wanting. A good milky chocolate flavor starts this off, but sadly, also holds up the middle, and then closes it out. The PB presence, if any, is faintly noted in the aftertaste. I expected and wished for more PB flavor, but alas, I am let down. They really pulled off the chocolate part of the equation, but fell short on the PB part, which I think intrigued most people into buying this. I can get a chocolate-based Porter any day, so this really isn't anything special.

A decent beer, but it doesn't deliver as advertised.

12-18-2012 01:27:20 | More by Onenote81
madtrixter787

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Purchased from local Butcher shop and poured into Great Lakes pint glass. Not too big of a head, dissipates to leave a small amount of lacing. Nice aroma with hints of roasted peanut and malt. As has been mentioned, the flavors are quite subtle, but I like that. If any one flavor was overpowering, everyone would complain about that instead. Overall a very delicious porter with nice attributes that I would go back to again if it wasn't so limited. Glad I got to try it.

12-17-2012 01:20:53 | More by madtrixter787
argock

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. No preshness date. Purchased at WIne Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $7.99.

A: Very dark brown with 1 finger of beige head with decent retention and one layer of lacing.

S: Aroma is pretty absent although there is some mild nutty and fudgy chocolate aromas. Not much for malts, definitely no hops.

T: The flavor is pretty so-so on both the chocolate and peanut butter accounts. If you are expecting strong flavors of either, you are not going to find them here. This beer is pretty bland with some subtle nutty flavors and a one-dimensional milk chocolate component that is blaze. No other real malt flavors.

M: Decent smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation and light-medium body.

O: A pretty underwhelming attempt at putting nutty and chocolate into a beer. While I am glad they didn't go overboard and try to supplement with artificial flavoring, Liquid Bliss is very low on flavor intensity and flavor overall. Sorry Terrapin -- this one is not a good SIde Project.

12-16-2012 05:32:02 | More by argock
cindyjeffsmith

4.2/5  rDev +12%

appearance: Very dark brown. Nearly opaque (some strong ruby highlights). Large bubble mocha head.
smell: Those Ga. boiled peanuts right up front. The chocolate is little more subdued but gives a full creamy base. Don't think I've ever smelled peanuts in a beer. This works.
taste: Again, peanuts front and center. Smooth porter.
overall: Gotta ratchet up the score on this fine experiment. This works and works well.

12-15-2012 23:18:10 | More by cindyjeffsmith
JayS2629

Alabama

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Looks like a solid porter. Dark brown, almost black with a descent head that leaves nice lacing. Retention is ok.

The aroma is average. Mostly dark chocolate, a hint of roast...some milky lactose, hint of vanilla and maybe a faint hint of nuttiness? Where is the peanut butter? I get a hint.

I hate to do this, but my expectations were built up. I taste no peanut butter. Maybe if I close my eyes and use my imagination really hard I can get a hint. I smelled more peanut butteryness than taste. Dark chocolate, lactose, vanilla, and some roasty notes.

A little thin for a porter and just a bit prickly on the tongue.

Overall, disappointing. I wanted something a bit richer. When I think of "liquid bliss" and peanut butter and chocolate...i think decadent. They tried to be too subtle with this.

12-15-2012 03:00:34 | More by JayS2629
ColForbinBC

3.48/5  rDev -7.2%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

The body sits a dark brown, near black with a tan head that falls quickly. No lacing left behind whatsoever. I let this warm up to room temp to try and get the peanut butter to pop. A thick layer of dark chocolate with some lactic sweetness. Peanut butter is extremely muted. On the palate, layers of dark chocolate and lactic sweetness roll over the tongue. Peanut butter comes through a little bit, but is still faint. I get more of a salty peanut shell flavor than true peanut butter. Smooth, creamy feel, medium body. Low carbonation. Good feel overall. A bit of lingering bittersweet chocolate. This is a nice porter, but doesn't hit on the advertised flavors in the way I was hoping.

12-12-2012 02:27:15 | More by ColForbinBC
NODAK

Tennessee

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

The nose truly is dominated by the chocolate...semi-sweet chocolate. Only after a little opening up do I get somewhat of a whiff of some peanuts. But really, it's mostly chocolate.

Pours an opaque black on my glass with a thin glass with about no staying power at all.

Honestly, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me here, because the peanut taste is so light that I'm unclear if it's me or if it's the beer. Definitely notes of semi-sweet chocolate, it's the dominant taste in the beer. The peanut taste, again, really is in the background. HOwever, as a porter, it's pretty good all in all. Not for the price, though.

So my verdict is that it's pretty good for a porter...but I'm disappointed that I don't taste what should make this beer so unique.

12-08-2012 01:38:39 | More by NODAK
n2185

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

A: pours black with a finger of tan head that fades into a frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: true to its description, peanut butter and chocolate dominate the nose with subtler notes of roasted malts and smoke

T: the roasted malts are more present here with semi-sweet chocolate and peanut butter. The finish has some slight char notes.

M: medium-thick body with lowish carbonation, this beer is slightly watery.

O: a good beer overall. Simplistic, but it is like drinking a Reese's cup. It would be nice if it had a creamier body and the chocolate/peanut butter were a bit more present in the flavor.

12-07-2012 23:35:05 | More by n2185
billab914

3.9/5  rDev +4%

22oz bottle poured unto my Founders glass, Close to black in color with a foamy, dark tan colored head to it. Decent lacing. Pretty nice looking beer of the style overall.

Aroma shows off the peanuts pretty well without being overwhelming. Milky chocolate and roasted malts blend in well. It comes together surprisingly well.

The taste shows a little more of the chocolate to it, which I like. The peanuts are a little more reserved at first, but compliment very well in the finish. Some roasted malts in the finish as well.

The mouthfeel is thin for the style and just a little creamy. Carbonation is average. Overall, I thought it was a pretty solid beer. It came together much better then I anticipated. I thought the chocolate and peanut butter were well balanced and very flavorful. Very nice beer overall.

12-07-2012 22:54:57 | More by billab914
Chaney

District of Columbia

Served in an Olde Hickory shaped-glass.

A: Poured about as dark a brown as possible without it being totally noir. The head was rather anemic... maybe 1/10 of a head or so.

S: Actually, it smelled like your average, run-of-the-mill porter... minus the roast. Very faint and not very memorable.

T: Okay, I definitely got the peanut now. This is basically a standard porter, but in place of the roast, peanuts are use. Sounds kinda cool on paper, but the flavor left more to be desired. This reminds me of DuClaw's HERO porter, only that one is much better.

M: Here is where the brew really falters: This was painfully thin, approaching novice homebrew territory even. Seriously, this was about as thin as a dark brew gets. No booze detected, very low carbonation, but who cares?

O: When Terrapin is on, they're really on (Anniversary Shmaltz brown ale collaboration), but when they're off, you might as well hang it up. Sigh...

12-05-2012 01:17:12 | More by Chaney
Rifugium

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Dark brown-black pour with a small mocha head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. I wasn't aware that this was a peanut butter beer, but one sniff, and it was pretty obvious; otherwise, chocolate malts, and not much else. Dark malts in the taste, pretty sweet and not a lot of roastiness, toasted grains, again, the peanut butter comes through, not so much that it's right in your face. Body was just barely on the fuller side of medium, with a slightly chewy texture, lower carbonation. Quite good overall.

12-04-2012 07:44:36 | More by Rifugium
ThickNStout

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz bottle from Sherlock's (Marietta, GA). 7.99. Bottled 11/2012. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours dark brown with a half finger pale tan head. Small patches of lacing.

Smells of peanut butter cups, brown sugar and something slightly metallic. Very interesting.

Taste is bittersweet bakers cocoa, peanuts, dark malts and an almost vegetable oily aspect. Particularly as it warms, the peanuts are pretty consistent.

Medium light but still creamy body with moderate carbonation. Long oily finish full of nice peanutty character.

Wow. It's not quite everything I'd hoped for but I really like how much authentic peanut flavor this has. I think Spike is on the right track with this unique offering and I hope that he continues to explore the use of peanuts in his dark beers.

12-04-2012 06:15:48 | More by ThickNStout
coreyfmcdonald

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours nearly pitch black with a finger of dense off white head. Head retention is quite good.

S: Interesting, upfront I get a mixture of salty peanut shells and chewy peanut butter mixing nicely with dark chocolate. I'd like a little more sweetness and a bit more peanut butter than peanut shells, but this has a decent aroma.

T: The peanut is a bit more in the background in the flavor than in the nose, but the peanut shell I got in the aroma is all gone now. Dark chocolate is also there along with a bit of creamy milk chocolate, making the peanut butter a bit more believable. This is nice, but could use a bit more richness - I think a heftier base beer would help out.

M: Medium thickness and quite creamy. I would like a bit more thickness given the description, but it's good.

O: This is a good beer that could be great. They should have used the WnB base for this beer and amped up the peanut butter a bit. Either way, it's a good beer. And a peanut butter beer with no infection!

12-04-2012 01:14:50 | More by coreyfmcdonald