Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Liquid BlissTerrapin Liquid Bliss

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Liquid Bliss Alström Bros

VAcrossr, Aug 18, 2014

SuperHop18, Aug 18, 2014
3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

marcfromphilly, Aug 18, 2014

jaemeno3, Aug 17, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Well this is confusing new to this weird rating system. Guess reviewing days are over :( Looks like a porter. Smells like it should I would say stale peanut butter cups with a dash of earthy hops. Taste is the same, porter like with added resse's cups. Brew is pretty much like it says it is, just a little too weird for me to want to have again.

mntlover, Aug 17, 2014

olbubba, Aug 17, 2014

Gtreid, Aug 16, 2014

TheSleepyMonkey, Aug 16, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

I know, I know, more bottles, right? I was just in such a state of Bliss yesterday, following Wild Beer's Bliss that when I saw this at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop, I could not resist a little bit more Blissfulness in my life! It also occurs to me that it is brewed in Athens, Georgia, where that group of hard-charging partiers on "Party Down South" is based. Maybe they could take a tour of the brewery ... I'd love to see a hardcore AIPA in Daddy's funnel!

From the bottle: "Unlock your inner Zen and delve into the Yin[z] and Yang of two decadent flavors. Focus on the harmonic togetherness of chocolate and peanut butter as it takes you to a place that you never thought possible ... a 'liquid Bliss.'"; "'Brewed With Peace of Mind'".

I have said it before, but one of the things that I really dig about these dark-colored beers is the way that the pseudo-cascade is truly obvious when I employ a heavy-handed pour. Once it settled, it produced two-plus fingers of dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with excellent retention. I am going to call the color an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) because with settling, I am unable to get any light penetration. Nose smelled like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in my glass! It reminds me of my late Pops, who loved them and Tastykake Peanut Butter TandyTakes, white cakes with a top layer of peanut butter and fully enrobed in chocolate. Mouthfeel was medium, but I felt as though it should be fuller. Taste was spot-on chocolate and peanut butter. Wow! It was a bit sweet for my hophead palate, which is why I do not make it a regular thing at the Spring House Taproom, but it was truth in advertising. Finish was sweet, but not cloying, which would be a definite possibility with this admixture. I can take one at a time, but I am going back to something else after this.

woodychandler, Aug 16, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Pitch black nice mocha tan head, forms evenly across the sides of my chalice, Big peanut butter nose, dark roasted malt provides chocolate, this is good stuff...dessert in a beer. Flavor brings more peanut butter notes with dark chocolate better than Sweet Baby Jesus, roasted malt and the peanut butter flavor mesh so well this is a treat. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied not something I could drink in number but it's oh so tasty on the palate. Overall the type of dark beer I wanna get to know again and again, great stuff from Athens, GA!!!

WVbeergeek, Aug 15, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

A - obsidian black with a thin caramel colored head, a little retention, and a small amount of lacing.

S - smells a lot like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

T - taste is a little bit of caramel malt with a hint of roastiness. I do get some chocolate and some coffee,
but the peanut flavor is kind of repressed.

M - thin with average carbonation and a slight aftertaste

O - a good beer, but it seems to fall a little short of what might have been intended.

Mojo, Aug 15, 2014

I picked up mixed brewery hand-picked variety pack at the Lawrenceville NJ Joe Canal’s. Among the beers was this Terrapin Liquid Bliss Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter 12-ounce bottle, which I poured into my Duvel Belgian Tulip glass for tasting purposes.

A: A semi-aggressive pour yielded a 1/2” beige head that quickly shrunk to a thin ring. This beer is dark drown with just a hint of light coming through my glass when held up in the air. Lacing tried its best to cling, but to no avail.

S: The aroma was that of sweet malt, chocolate, vanilla and a hint of oats. I didn’t catch any peanut butter though, which I was anticipating. After letting the beer sit for a few minutes and swirling the glass a few times, the chocolate aroma become more prevalent. I do catch just a hint of peanut butter, but it quickly goes away.

T: The malty dark chocolate bitterness starts if off. Weird, I really don’t get the peanut butter taste like I did when I had the Duclaw Sweet Baby Jesus. I’ll be honest, I was really looking forward to having the chocolate peanut butter mix with each sip, but I don’t get it at all. Still it’s a pretty darn good “chocolate” porter. Vanilla caramel also comes to mind in the middle, but finishes dry and slightly bitter.

M: The carbonation is spot on, but I thought it was rather thin for a porter. The finish is clean and smooth. What remains on the tongue is a burnt taste, similar to what I get when I drink coffee. Not in a bad way though. The ABV was perfect. Not too high, not too low.

O: A pretty solid porter that I would buy and drink again. I really do like the Terrapin beers, especially the Moo Hoo and Wake “N” Bake. They are by far my two favorites from this brewery. With that said, I would have enjoyed this more with an additional peanut butter flavor. The chocolate was dominant and the peanut butter really just took a back seat.

cmq103, Aug 15, 2014

Highbury09, Aug 13, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Beastcpa, Aug 13, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased at Tasty Beverage in Raleigh, NC. Best by Jan 2015.

A - Deep black with a big tan head. Looks awesome!

S - Nutter butter cookies.

T - Chocolate malt balls and peanut butter cookies. A slight roastiness and bitterness in the finish.

M - Moderate consistency if not a little thin. A moderate carbonation of very fine bubbles.

O - Interesting and worth a try but not something I'd likely drink again.

GJ40, Aug 11, 2014