Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Liquid BlissTerrapin Liquid Bliss

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012)
Mphis

07-18-2014 05:02:44 | More by RolandBlunts
BaalDagon

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Not too overly impressed, even though this brew came highly advised. If you are not a fan of hazelnut... I advise you to make another choice because all I can taste is hazelnut. The only redeeming quality is that there is no lingering taste of any kind. I hate hazelnut... so for me, this was a waste, and at that... a six-pack waste. I will say though, it's not bad enough where I cannot drink the rest.

08-25-2014 00:33:22 | More by BaalDagon
qchic

Maryland

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

Appears darkest brown with thin light tan head.

Smells like, you guessed it, peanut butter and chocolate. The pb is more pronounced, and I sense some hops for balance. Candy-like without smelling too artificial.

Taste resembles aroma, with the hops more apparent on the front end. More bittersweet chocolate, especially through the finish.

Mouthfeel is dry and almost chalky. Coupled with the flavor, this one is slow going.

Overall, not a fan. I'm not sure what segment of beer drinkers this is geared toward (I'm guessing those who do not actualy like beer). Still, I get curious, but this one will be the last one. Tick.

08-02-2014 03:29:41 | More by qchic
Rickenbasser

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours dark brown with a tan head that dissipates quickly. A little bit of lacing. Looks good.

S - I was hoping to smell peanuts and chocolate, but I'm left disappointed. Smells like any other porter. Caramel.

T - Good porter tastes, but once again no real peanut flavors, very very faint chocolate. Caramel, a little bit of alcohol.

M - Feels like I'm drinking a pilsner. Very dry, no "coating" of the mouth.

O - I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. I'm a huge Terrapin fan and this is the first time I haven't loved a new release. I don't see this run being brought back. If you're a big Terrapin fan or porter lover try it's a decent pick up.

12-03-2012 21:32:18 | More by Rickenbasser
afluentturtle

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mocha black with a lightish tan half finger of head. Decent Lacing down the glass.

Smell: Chocolate and peanuts, almost like a peanut butter cup candy. Some coffee and roasted malts also.

Taste: Nutty, sweet, not much chocolate. Hard to explain but the nut taste is almost artificial and just doesn't taste like a peanut or peanut butter should. Its not bad but not what I expected. Wish that it smelled as good as it tasted.

Mouthfeel: This is where the brew falls short. Very watery, moderate carbonation, but this beer feels so watered down that it just seems like i'm drinking peanut/chocolate flavored carbonated water.

Overall: I'm a big fan of chocolate porters/stouts and when I saw this I just had to try. I really hoped that this brew would be as good as the idea sounds, but was disappointed in the final result. I would not buy again unless the watered down mouth feel was fixed and the recipe was changed so that the peanut butter taste actually tasted like peanut butter.

01-07-2013 01:07:20 | More by afluentturtle
Onenote81

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

After avoiding the last half-dozen or so Side Projects due to my lack of interest in their styles, I was so excited when I heard that this one, a peanut butter chocolate Porter, would be their next release. I picked up a bottle as soon as it hit my local shop.

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Drank this one alone. Pours a deep dark impenetrable black with a thin beige head. I can hear this one fizzle and pop away, and before I know it, there isn't a trace of lace left. Underwhelming nose - chocolate, dry husky grains, and a bit of molasses. I expected a bit more potency.

After watching the frothy head dissipate so quickly, I thought this was going to be a bubbly mess. But really, this has such a pleasant creamy feel, and a perfect silky finish. They really nailed the mouth feel on this one. The flavor profile, unfortunately, also leaves me wanting. A good milky chocolate flavor starts this off, but sadly, also holds up the middle, and then closes it out. The PB presence, if any, is faintly noted in the aftertaste. I expected and wished for more PB flavor, but alas, I am let down. They really pulled off the chocolate part of the equation, but fell short on the PB part, which I think intrigued most people into buying this. I can get a chocolate-based Porter any day, so this really isn't anything special.

A decent beer, but it doesn't deliver as advertised.

12-18-2012 01:27:20 | More by Onenote81
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is two fingers high, and lighter tan in shade. Retention is fairly decent. The creamy texture leaves behind webbed lacing on the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Oh yeah, this smells great. Tons of milk chocolate, tons of roasted nuts, lesser dark chocolate, lesser general roast, and a goodly amount of hazelnut. These kinds of beers are always the same: killer on the nose, meh on the taste buds. I anticipate the same deal here, but wow does it smell great anyways. (4.25)

Taste: Aye, it's a definite step down. It opens up nicely with dark chocolate flavor, while the back end is loaded with notes of roast, nuts, and roasted nuts. I'm definitely getting a hazelnut vibe, albeit an artificial one. And therein lies the problem: it blatantly has a chemical tone to it. At least the gist of this beer (chocolate and peanut butter) is shown off nicely. (3)

Mouthfeel: Rather thin for the style, with decent carbonation poking through the semi-creamy body. As such, it goes down easily, even with the sweet linger. (3.5)

Overall: I could just smell this all day. Tasting it, though, is a different matter entirely. It's EXACTLY the way I anticipated it to be: smells awesome, tastes meh. This has a definite mainstream appeal, so I can't be too hard on it. (3.25)

3.38/5: Worth a try, just don't expect it to taste like it smells

08-19-2014 20:11:54 | More by ThisWangsChung
jlindros

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to rudzud for sharing.

Light creamy fizzy head, fades almost instantly, very dark but bit of light coming through.

Nose nice peanut butter, roasted peanuts, bit of toasty and light powdered chocolate, light bready.

Taste is sticky syrupy sweet almost a mess of molasses sugar. Peanut butter again, light toasty nuts, very light watery powdered cocoa, light nutty and touch of bread. Thin but syrupy. Finish is dry but watery and light sticky, light bitterness and watery chocolate and but of peanut butter.

Mouth is med to thin bodied, decent but lighter carb.

Overall interesting to try, nice peanut butter flavors, but just way too thin and watery, and choc even tastes watered down, and it has that molasses sugar mess flavor which also adds a bit of meh.

06-06-2013 13:43:54 | More by jlindros
Beerandboards

New Mexico

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint

I drank this over two sittings. First one, I had the beer at cellar temp, ~50 degrees. Didnt chill it, poured about a 4oz pour. Hated it. Finished the pour and thought very seriously about drain pouring. However, I've never drain poured a craft beer. I basically refuse to do it. I've only disliked one other beer this badly before (hint it tastes like raspberry white wine and everyone frikiNG loves it...) Anyway, as I did with the prior instance, I put a wine cap on the bottle and put it in the fridge. Letting the beer oxidize in the fridge for 24hrs, sometimes it helps...

I took it out of the fridge tonight, a day later, and its much much better. Review is based on tonight's experience

A - Looks quite standard. Brown/black, tan loose foam, produces an inch or so of head that dissipates quite quickly.

S - A good amount of roasty peanuts. Some chocolate. Not much else. I want to give it a higher rating, because it really does hit the target quite well. Peanuts and chocolate. At the same time, its a novelty. There's no "peanut beer" style, if there were, this would be a 4.5. But, its a porter, so 3.

T - Hits the target really well. Peanuts and chocolate. Not super chewy or pronounced flavors of either one, but I'm not sure how you could really get a thick presentation of peanuts in a beer. The chocolate is a little thin, but comes through in the front, the peanut is more of an aftertaste almost. Think, you just at 2-3 dry roasted peanuts and then took a tiny sip of a Guinness. As a normal beer, this would be a 3-2.5, however, it really does do a good presentation of the peanut and chocolate. Its not really a combo that does well in beer, but this does about as good a job as could be, I gave it a 4 just because I dont know that you could do this a lot better.

M - Maybe if it were thicker, this would be better. In my mind, this would be a super thick, like Marshal Zubkov type thickness. If you could get these flavors in that thickness, I think it could be quite awesome. As it, thin, bubbly, meh.

O - Glad to try it. Would buy it again to share with beer geek buddies just to stretch, but would not buy it for myself.

M

02-20-2013 03:42:10 | More by Beerandboards
jhartley

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cuvee glass.

A-Deep dark brown almost black body with a thick 2 finger head full of tan bubbles. Dissipated fairly quickly to a thin head on the top. Left a small amount of lacing.

S-Tons of roasted peanut and chocolate aromas.

T-Dark chocolate right away, not a lot roasted peanut taste surprisingly, just enough on the end. Finishes like a nutty brown ale.

M-A little thin and watery, not a whole lot of carbonation.

O-A pretty good beer, nothing spectacular, but all in all a good representation of a beer quite a few brewers are trying: chocolate peanut porter/stout.

Best by December 6, 2014.

08-08-2014 01:18:31 | More by jhartley
tut2528

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

A: pours completely jet black, there a slight film that is created worth of head (if you even want to call it that) with very minimal lacing.

S: chocolate, nutty, smokey/burnt malt, with a strong creamy lactose in the background. pretty

T: dull and basic. subtle chocolate, and huge amount of nuttiness. also a strong lactose sugar in the finish.

M: so much water! this is way too light and if there was a bit more viscosity this could be a much better brew. doesn't leave much on the palate either.

O: glad to have tried this brew out as it sounded very intriguing. but Terrapin missed the mark on this side project.

04-13-2013 00:55:03 | More by tut2528
ColForbinBC

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

The body sits a dark brown, near black with a tan head that falls quickly. No lacing left behind whatsoever. I let this warm up to room temp to try and get the peanut butter to pop. A thick layer of dark chocolate with some lactic sweetness. Peanut butter is extremely muted. On the palate, layers of dark chocolate and lactic sweetness roll over the tongue. Peanut butter comes through a little bit, but is still faint. I get more of a salty peanut shell flavor than true peanut butter. Smooth, creamy feel, medium body. Low carbonation. Good feel overall. A bit of lingering bittersweet chocolate. This is a nice porter, but doesn't hit on the advertised flavors in the way I was hoping.

12-12-2012 02:27:15 | More by ColForbinBC
bigfnjoe

3.49/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a dark brown with a two finger dark tan head that quickly fades and leaves a thin layer across the top of the beer. Eh, the head was gone pretty fast...blah, but to be expected

S- a lot of peanuts come through in the nose...not peanut butter mind you, but peanuts, of the boiled variety. Not getting any chocolate to speak of. Eh....

T- as it warms, I get more of the chocolate than initially when it was cold...as for the peanut butter, it comes across more as a peanut taste than the sweetness you'd expect from the peanut butter. Not sure it delivers like I'd expect

M- medium bodied, on the thicker side.

O- not a bad beer, but I've had better chocolate peanut butter beers lately. This falls short.

02-03-2013 02:15:48 | More by bigfnjoe