Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: TerjUGA on 11-13-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Liquid Bliss Alström Bros
3.01/5  rDev -20.8%

Served in an Olde Hickory shaped-glass.

A: Poured about as dark a brown as possible without it being totally noir. The head was rather anemic... maybe 1/10 of a head or so.

S: Actually, it smelled like your average, run-of-the-mill porter... minus the roast. Very faint and not very memorable.

T: Okay, I definitely got the peanut now. This is basically a standard porter, but in place of the roast, peanuts are use. Sounds kinda cool on paper, but the flavor left more to be desired. This reminds me of DuClaw's HERO porter, only that one is much better.

M: Here is where the brew really falters: This was painfully thin, approaching novice homebrew territory even. Seriously, this was about as thin as a dark brew gets. No booze detected, very low carbonation, but who cares?

O: When Terrapin is on, they're really on (Anniversary Shmaltz brown ale collaboration), but when they're off, you might as well hang it up. Sigh...

3.04/5  rDev -20%

Overall, mouth feel was too thin, did not detect hardly any peanuts in the taste or smell. Would be nice to see a double version of this to boost up the body and try and impart more peanut flavor.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

22oz. into a Founders Balloon Tulip.

Pours pitch black with a light khaki head. Very little lacing.

Nose is very light. If I concentrate, I can pick up the smell of peanuts. Not much chocolate in the nose.

Taste is very subtle. The best descriptor I have is earthy. It doesn't taste much like peanuts or chocolate to me. I do get a hint of peanuts in the finish, but it's more of a suggestion than a flavor.

Mouth is a big let down. Very thin and too highly carbonated for the style.

I really wanted this to be an awesome beer. There is a picture of giant peanuts floating down a chocolate river on the label, after all. I was hoping for something bold and distinct, but this beer just comes off as a mediocre, but drinkable, porter.

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

Looks like a solid porter. Dark brown, almost black with a descent head that leaves nice lacing. Retention is ok.

The aroma is average. Mostly dark chocolate, a hint of roast...some milky lactose, hint of vanilla and maybe a faint hint of nuttiness? Where is the peanut butter? I get a hint.

I hate to do this, but my expectations were built up. I taste no peanut butter. Maybe if I close my eyes and use my imagination really hard I can get a hint. I smelled more peanut butteryness than taste. Dark chocolate, lactose, vanilla, and some roasty notes.

A little thin for a porter and just a bit prickly on the tongue.

Overall, disappointing. I wanted something a bit richer. When I think of "liquid bliss" and peanut butter and chocolate...i think decadent. They tried to be too subtle with this.

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark brown with golden edges. The half finger of head dissipated very quickly. There is a sweet note to the nose and also something else that is sadly reminiscent of cardboard. The body is fairly thin for the style and the roast profile is mild to say the least. The flavor profile also includes something off and fake tasting. The fake taste lingers into the finish.

This offering does not make me feel very blissful.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 3.25

amazing nose, thin, spritzy mouthfeel

3.07/5  rDev -19.2%

Was very disappointed—the peanut was all in the nose, almost nothing in the palette, and very little chocolate, if any. Thin porter; hard to even call it a chocolate porter. Nothing like a Reese's cup let alone the idyllic river of chocolate and peanut illustrated on the label.

Really quite a let down, given the label description and possibility for this style. I expected something more along the line of a Southern Tier release—not necessarily the cloying syrupyness of their Crème Brulee stout, but something with a full body and rich cocoa and roasty nut flavor.

And at a Six-Pack equivalent price of $26 it was enough to put me off Terrapin for a while.

- Appearance: Dark and roasty; typical porter
- Smell: Like peanut butter, as expected, but not very intense. Took a strong sniff to really get it in the nose. Almost no chocolate notes and very little roastiness of a typical porter.
- Taste: Disappointing--no peanut butter, very little chocolate, and just an "okay" porter. Not even very roasty, as would be typical. For a local Atlanta example, I'd rather crack a Sweetwater Exodus--much better example at this ABV.
- Mouthfeel: Too thin for the ABV and promise of the style. Felt closer to a 5% porter.
- Overall: Great idea, poor execution

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

3.1/5  rDev -18.4%

3.1/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. No preshness date. Purchased at WIne Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $7.99.

A: Very dark brown with 1 finger of beige head with decent retention and one layer of lacing.

S: Aroma is pretty absent although there is some mild nutty and fudgy chocolate aromas. Not much for malts, definitely no hops.

T: The flavor is pretty so-so on both the chocolate and peanut butter accounts. If you are expecting strong flavors of either, you are not going to find them here. This beer is pretty bland with some subtle nutty flavors and a one-dimensional milk chocolate component that is blaze. No other real malt flavors.

M: Decent smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation and light-medium body.

O: A pretty underwhelming attempt at putting nutty and chocolate into a beer. While I am glad they didn't go overboard and try to supplement with artificial flavoring, Liquid Bliss is very low on flavor intensity and flavor overall. Sorry Terrapin -- this one is not a good SIde Project.

3.12/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Deep brown black with a nice tan head.

S: Peanut butter goodness and a nice light chocolate aroma. I don't get a whole lot of the porter aroma in the background though.

T: Light peanut butter, the chocolate is fairly subdued, as is the malt. I was really hoping for something a little more rich and flavorful, and while it is certainly good it registers fairly low on the flavor meter.

F: Medium light in body, with a fairly high level of carbonation

O: Overall it's a pretty good beer, but when you put chocolate and peanut butter on the label, you better deliver.

3.12/5  rDev -17.9%

The nose truly is dominated by the chocolate...semi-sweet chocolate. Only after a little opening up do I get somewhat of a whiff of some peanuts. But really, it's mostly chocolate.

Pours an opaque black on my glass with a thin glass with about no staying power at all.

Honestly, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me here, because the peanut taste is so light that I'm unclear if it's me or if it's the beer. Definitely notes of semi-sweet chocolate, it's the dominant taste in the beer. The peanut taste, again, really is in the background. HOwever, as a porter, it's pretty good all in all. Not for the price, though.

So my verdict is that it's pretty good for a porter...but I'm disappointed that I don't taste what should make this beer so unique.

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

A: Black pour with a small, light-brown head. The head disappears pretty quickly and doesn't lace much at all.

S: It smells of chocolate and vanilla, but overall is pretty watered down. I can't get much peanut butter here, and I can't say it's all that inviting.

T: The taste is much better. It starts off with a big hit of sweet, delicious chocolate, which gives way to the peanut butter and some vanilla. The peanuts last on the back of your tongue seemingly forever. Overall, I wish the beer was a bit bigger, and that the flavors took over a bit more. It's not in the top two or three beer brewed with peanut butter I've had.

MF: Medium body with a normal amount of carbonation. The dry finish and lingering flavors are very nice and really bolster the drinkability.

O: I was actually disappointed here. It really wasn't anything special for me and certainly doesn't stand up to some of the other beers of similar style with similar ingredients.

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

Bottle dated 12/14 at 45 degrees into imperial pint glass
Aroma peanut butter and chocolate
Head large (5 cm), light brown creamy with rocks
Lacing poor – small islands of various size bubbles, partial ring with stalactites
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor of chocolate – peanut butter shows up more in the nose. No malt, no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium to full, creamy, soft carbonation

The peanut butter aroma is overwhelming, making this otherwise mediocre porter barely drinkable. Way below Terrapin’s standards.

3.14/5  rDev -17.4%

I ordered this bottled last night and when I poured it there was zero head and the lacing was non-existent. Anyone else have this experience or can I blame the bar for poor storage?

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance Black bodied beer with a light khaki head that is short but creamy. There is some traces of lacing, and the head fades to a very thin layer rather quickly.

Aroma: There is a peanut-like aroma...I'd say it's pretty close to smelling a jar of peanut butter. It smells nice but that's the only thing I pick up.

Taste: There is a very mellow peanut flavor here but I'm not picking up any chocolate. It's important to note that the label says "chocolate peanut butter porter." Chocolate is listed first but it doesn't show up to this party. There is a bit of a woody aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It has a pretty good mouthfeel. I wouldn't say it's a completely full bodied beer but it's close to full. It is pretty smooth and easy enough to drink.

Overall: It was a decent beer but I wouldn't call it liquid bliss. If you're really into peanut butter I think you'd enjoy this beer. It has a good peanut flavor. If you are a chocolate lover I think you would be disappointed. The porter (just the beer) is average at best.

3.2/5  rDev -15.8%

3.22/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass at about 45 degrees

A: Has a deep brown coloring to it with little light visibly passing through. as it pours, its a dirty murky color that doesnt really appear too appetizing, little head to speak of.

S: Dont know if it was the bottle or what, but this smelled like skunky raw earthy peanuts and raw malt liquor. Nothing blended well and it wasnt sweet at all.

T: Taste was mild, raw peanuts, slight cheap chocolate on the back end. Not sweet at all like I was expecting from this....again, beer may have been a bad batch?

M: Medium mouthfeel like I enjoy from porters. It was very easy drinking and has a good light oily feel that coated the mouth.

O: I just expected more. Maybe my expectations were high as I really was hoping for a liquified Reese cup and I got a cheap, sugar free peanut butter cup that was dropped in dirt and cooked with the reject peanuts of the batch. I'm aging my 2nd bottle to see what happens.

Terrapin Liquid Bliss from Terrapin Beer Company