Terrapin RecreationAle - Terrapin Beer Company

good

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Heavenisbeer on 07-02-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin RecreationAle Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Gww1864, May 04, 2014
3.14/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Nice, mostly clear golden pour. Frothy, thick head. Looked heavily carbonated with a good amount of bubbles.

S: Not particularly aromatic. Heavy hop scent, with a a bit of citrus. There's something else in it though on which I can't quite put my finger. Bear with me on this one, I'm still developing my smell descriptions.

T: Hoppy up front, but the hoppiness quickly dissipates. Not particularly malty. After the initial taste it becomes quite mild, but that doesn't detract from quality.

M: Very carbonated. The beer is a little on the thin side.

Notes: I am quite happy to have tried this beer. It's quite light for the level of hops. It is definitely more versatile than I thought that it would be on first try. A good summer beer for those looking for a hoppier ale.

greengumby, May 03, 2014

rabiddawg, Apr 29, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

ArtZan, Apr 28, 2014
3.29/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy orange body. Big white head. Doesn't last long. Settles to a thin collar.

Smell - A variety of hop aromas. Tropical fruit. Orange citrus. Minimal malt.

Taste - Less intense hop flavor. Grassier and more herbal. Grapefruit. Cracker malt.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Drinkable. MInimal bitterness.

Overall - There's not a lot to it, but it is very drinkable.

Alieniloquium, Apr 28, 2014

BeerForMuscle, Apr 27, 2014

bongobeer, Apr 26, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

This is a really good beer. Also props to the fact that it comes in cans. Please start doing this more, especially for summer guys! We want beers we can tote easily and throw in a cooler without the damn label slipping off and causing that nasty glue water mixture. Also, cans are better for the environment because we can crush them and it takes less space in the recycle area, and it just tastes better if done correctly. So props to Terrapin!

It is one you can drink very easily. I enjoyed it on a warm spring day. I have had other beers from Terrapin and I really need to give them a good analysis again. I was not ready for what I got at the time, but maybe try them again. I was impressed by the taste of this one for what it was. It was hoppy but clean, had a nice floral component and just the right amount of carbonation. I would definitely take this one on a camping trip. I think it was appropriately named. Its a quality beer and the price was fair and you could tell that it was made with good ingredients. Overall this is a solid beer I would not say outstanding, but its way better than average.

humuloner22, Apr 22, 2014
3.34/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Terrapin Recreation Ale has a very thick, foamy, off-white head, a hazy (powdery sediment, suspended throughout), yellow-gold, bubbly appearance, and lots of lacing left behind. The aroma is pineapple, hop resin, and sweet malt. Taste is of the same, with moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Terrapin Recreation Ale finishes semi-dry, easy going, and refreshing. It's good, but the whole style has become depressingly ho-hum. Been there. Done that.

RJT

SloppyJoeWasAMan, Apr 04, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

bendukes86, Apr 02, 2014
3.61/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: A very hazy straw-colored body with some good lacing. Small head that dissipates very rapidly. Also, the can design and all is brilliant.

S: This smells really good. Tons of hops in here. Lots of pine in there. There is an interesting background scent here that I can't really place, but not a bad one.

T: Has the characteristics of a session IPA, but then that characteristic APA body kicks in and subverts the flavor for me. There is just something about APAs that even in this hoppy form seem kind of weird. I can see why they named this style Pale. I got a sense of Deja Vu here for some reason when I took another sip/whiff. Oddly enough I get some lager notes, and it kind of reminds me of Citra Mantra a little bit.

M: Pretty prickly, lots of carbonation.

O: I picked this up because people said it was similar to session IPAS, but I think there is a very distinct difference between a hoppy IPA and a low ABV IPA, it all has to do with the base flavor that each one has.

gillagorilla, Apr 01, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

DNICE555, Mar 31, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up after someone raved about this in one of the forums. Could session beers have been the topic? Possibly as this would qualify. Out I the can, a gentle pour is required to keep it from going overboard. Hazy yellow gold with good head retention. Aroma is citric and piney with light tropical fruit. Very representative of the flavor. Immediately, the light body is noticeable, but flavor is not sacrificed. A touch of cereal malt holds it up. Yep, it's drinkable, and I can only imagine how refreshing this might be when having fun in the sun. Keep it in mind when nicer weather finally arrives.

qchic, Mar 31, 2014