Follow our progress ...

good

Terrapin RecreationAleTerrapin RecreationAle

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Heavenisbeer on 07-02-2013

Reviews: 78 | Ratings: 625
3.43/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drinking out of the can so I have no idea what it looks like but is imagine orange with thin white head that flees. Aroma of citrus and fresh pine. Tastes of pine, light citrus, some grass and not much else. Light in body with light carbonation. The flavor profile beckons for something sharp to stand out. This beer is unthinkable, which is what makes it really good but also what makes it forgettable.

3.17/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: A cloudy yellow in color, with a nice finger of off white head at the top that left a little lacing around the glass as you drank it.

S: Lots of citrus and hops on the nose with some biscuit notes to as well, the malt came through on the tail end.

T:Almost exactly like the nose with lots of citrus and bready notes throughout, some good hops gave off the bitterness as well.

M: Light bodied and medium carbonation.

O: Not a terrible beer, but not one of Terrapin's better beers, easy drinking for sure.

3.12/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Nice, mostly clear golden pour. Frothy, thick head. Looked heavily carbonated with a good amount of bubbles.

S: Not particularly aromatic. Heavy hop scent, with a a bit of citrus. There's something else in it though on which I can't quite put my finger. Bear with me on this one, I'm still developing my smell descriptions.

T: Hoppy up front, but the hoppiness quickly dissipates. Not particularly malty. After the initial taste it becomes quite mild, but that doesn't detract from quality.

M: Very carbonated. The beer is a little on the thin side.

Notes: I am quite happy to have tried this beer. It's quite light for the level of hops. It is definitely more versatile than I thought that it would be on first try. A good summer beer for those looking for a hoppier ale.

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy orange body. Big white head. Doesn't last long. Settles to a thin collar.

Smell - A variety of hop aromas. Tropical fruit. Orange citrus. Minimal malt.

Taste - Less intense hop flavor. Grassier and more herbal. Grapefruit. Cracker malt.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Drinkable. MInimal bitterness.

Overall - There's not a lot to it, but it is very drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

This is a really good beer. Also props to the fact that it comes in cans. Please start doing this more, especially for summer guys! We want beers we can tote easily and throw in a cooler without the damn label slipping off and causing that nasty glue water mixture. Also, cans are better for the environment because we can crush them and it takes less space in the recycle area, and it just tastes better if done correctly. So props to Terrapin!

It is one you can drink very easily. I enjoyed it on a warm spring day. I have had other beers from Terrapin and I really need to give them a good analysis again. I was not ready for what I got at the time, but maybe try them again. I was impressed by the taste of this one for what it was. It was hoppy but clean, had a nice floral component and just the right amount of carbonation. I would definitely take this one on a camping trip. I think it was appropriately named. Its a quality beer and the price was fair and you could tell that it was made with good ingredients. Overall this is a solid beer I would not say outstanding, but its way better than average.

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Terrapin Recreation Ale has a very thick, foamy, off-white head, a hazy (powdery sediment, suspended throughout), yellow-gold, bubbly appearance, and lots of lacing left behind. The aroma is pineapple, hop resin, and sweet malt. Taste is of the same, with moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Terrapin Recreation Ale finishes semi-dry, easy going, and refreshing. It's good, but the whole style has become depressingly ho-hum. Been there. Done that.

RJT

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: A very hazy straw-colored body with some good lacing. Small head that dissipates very rapidly. Also, the can design and all is brilliant.

S: This smells really good. Tons of hops in here. Lots of pine in there. There is an interesting background scent here that I can't really place, but not a bad one.

T: Has the characteristics of a session IPA, but then that characteristic APA body kicks in and subverts the flavor for me. There is just something about APAs that even in this hoppy form seem kind of weird. I can see why they named this style Pale. I got a sense of Deja Vu here for some reason when I took another sip/whiff. Oddly enough I get some lager notes, and it kind of reminds me of Citra Mantra a little bit.

M: Pretty prickly, lots of carbonation.

O: I picked this up because people said it was similar to session IPAS, but I think there is a very distinct difference between a hoppy IPA and a low ABV IPA, it all has to do with the base flavor that each one has.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up after someone raved about this in one of the forums. Could session beers have been the topic? Possibly as this would qualify. Out I the can, a gentle pour is required to keep it from going overboard. Hazy yellow gold with good head retention. Aroma is citric and piney with light tropical fruit. Very representative of the flavor. Immediately, the light body is noticeable, but flavor is not sacrificed. A touch of cereal malt holds it up. Yep, it's drinkable, and I can only imagine how refreshing this might be when having fun in the sun. Keep it in mind when nicer weather finally arrives.

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours mildly fogged. Real frothy head on an aggressive pour. Nice citric bite on this with an accent of hop spices. Consistent flavor. I like this one. Very easy to drink. I guess that's why there was only one can left when I saw it on the shelf. Can highly recommend this one.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-03-09 in Columbia, PA

A - Somewhat hazy golden-orange with a 2-finger white head that sticks around with nice lace.

S - Pine, hop floral, light dankness, citrus, touch of biscuit. Very pleasant and fresh smelling.

T - Danker than the aroma, pine, grass, toasted white bread with a light dab of lime marmalade, white pepper and a goodly amount of citrus zest bitterness. Finishes dry. The citrus-bitter aftertaste lingers briefly and then clears.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. Crisp and a bit prickly.

O - Very nice aroma with tons of flavor. I prefer a bit less dankness and more caramel malt in my session IPAs (like 21st Amendment Bitter American) but I would happily quaff this anytime.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz can (11/5/13) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - An aggressive pour out of the can yields a slightly hazy, pale golden color body and a big, thick two fingers of rocky white head that leaves massive sheets of lacing on the glass.

S - Big grapefruit aroma up front, juicy and fruity. Nice medium hop bitterness, light accents of pine, light biscuity malt, faintly sweet at the base.

T - Nice clean hop bitterness complemented by a smooth grapefruit citrus flavor and hints of pine. Firmer malt presence than in the aroma gives the beer a very even balance. Light malty sweetness, lightly grainy, lightly biscuit - a reserved malt profile, but one that provides enough body and balance to make this work as an all day drinker.

M - Medium body with a soft low/medium carbonation. Smooth and easy drinker.

O - For a can with a little under 4 months of age on it, this pale ale still has an assertive hop presence full of citrus and pine. Very smooth with a just potent enough malt character. This is a very easy drinker - I would definitely keep some of this in my fridge if it was local to me.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I like this brewer, and I love sessionable hoppy beers in a can like this one, which is closely related to my favorite of this style - Boat Beer by Carton.

A: Pours clouded apricot amber, under a 1 finger white head, that leaves lace dots for a light beer.

S: Hops sweet and high-noted: lime, ginger and mostly pine hops. Inviting.

T: Follows the smell. Easy drinking pale, with citrus, ginger and again much pine. Excellent juicy, fruity, yet drying finish. Packed with flavor.

MF: Good for a light beer, juicy and excellent finish.

I challenge you to beat this beer or Boat Beer in a 4.7% ABV. I'd buy this by the case. I hope it's as good for me as it tastes, and will also make excellent black and pales.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Bottom of can says 09/26/2013.

A- Pours a dark golden color with a full two-finger sudsy head that retains well before steadily collapsing to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full bubbly sheet of surface foam. Non-resilient sudsy lacing.

S- Has a green apple aroma that I usually find in Belgian pale ales but this has no yeasty backdrop to it, just mild hops.

T- Solid bitterness upfront that's not too overbearing or lingering but lacks character. Just bitter for bitter's sake, which is fine I guess. Also not a whole lot of malt presence.

M- Sharp and a bit dry with medium-high carbonation and a lightish body.

O- I get what they're going for with this. It's a hoppy yet sessionable pale ale but it could use some more malt backbone to offset the bitterness. Drinkable enough, but not worth revisiting when there are beers like Founders All Day and Lagunitas Daytime. They did a better job with Easy Rider than they did with this one.

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Can, poured in snifter, with a huge fluffy white billowing head, which thins out after a few moments and leaves behind an opaque layer and some lacing. Pale orange yellow, I'd say cloudy but holds light well.

Smells a bit musty, with mellow citrus and pine hops also present, which all intensify as the beer warms up a bit, always getting better.

Taste is somewhat similar; there is an added sweetness that creeps in, which I like.

Mouthfeel is smooth but also dry and crisp, which is unique to me.

Overall, it's all a bit heavy for me to actually session, every aspect points to the notion that this beer should be heavier, but it's only ABV 4.7, and I suppose judging it on those merits, it's not my favorite session IPA. It's drinkable but I can't see myself spending a day, for example, downing one after the other. Certainly worth a try. Cheers.

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

A- Semi hazy, light amber with active carbonation in the glass. Poured a thick 2 finger head. Awesome lacing.
S- Tropical/floral notes up front. Bready malts and a little pine round it out.
T- Follows the nose pretty closely. Light citrus/floral up front, followed by a cracker-like breadiness, slight pine, and a touch of lemon.
M- Medium body, but on the thicker side. Not overly creamy or oily, but has crisp carbonation. Drying with lingering bitterness.
O- This beer was crafted to be a session IPA, and it has definitely achieved that goal. Super light and super drinkable. It screams summer time and days on the lake.

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can, packaged on dating on the bottom of the can. (7/30/2013=not super fresh)

Pours clouded medium amber, under a looser off white head, that leaves nice looking film and some delicate low sheeting.

Lime, ginger and piney hops on the nose.

Easy drinking pale, with more citrus, more ginger and more pine. More then respectable sessioner. Dry finish with more of the some notes I got on the nose and in the first few sips.

More quality beer in a can, nice.

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dang it, I CANnot remember where this CAN came from! I may have scored it locally in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), but I have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that says otherwise.

From the CAN: "Camp [-] Bike [-] Partake [-] Hike [-] Paddle"; "Wrap your hand around a [CAN] of our RecreationAle and explore what outside life has to offer. This hopped up session ale is specially formulated to accompany you on all of your outdoor activities. Pack in this flavorful ale and pack out the memories while enjoying this quaffable brew."; "'Taste the Great Outdoors'"; "rec.re.a.tion.ale [(Adjective)] (of or pertaining to) the action of unplugging to venture into the great outdoors where your smartphone [CAN]'t access the Internet, but you CAN connect with this hopped up session ale."

I CAN tell you that I am not leaving the comfort of my kitchen to CANduct this review! The Crack! revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and now it was time for the inverted Glug. I have become masterful at sensing when to back off on this type of pour and this was no exception. The dense, foamy, rocky, eggshell-white head came right up to the lip of the glass before stopping and beginning to fall back, leaving great lacing in its wake. Emboldened, I resumed the pour, bringing the head right back up. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 5) and the Three Amigos, Midas, Croesus and Mammon were across from me, licking their lips. Nose was filled with pine-like hops and now my mouth was also watering. Mouthfeel was medium, fuller than I expected from a "session ale" and the taste was quite hoppy, enough to be sustaining for a self-avowed hophead. Finish was dry, but not gasping. Would I take this on an outdoors excursion? Sure. It might beat the heat without all of the alcohol and that CAN't be bad, CAN it?

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A big shout out to the legendary woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by piney hops. Taste is hoppy, fairly bitter, pine, a bit of citrus, very easy drinking. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality beer.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass, golden amber colored with a large white head that lingers leaving good lacing, quite hazy

S: heavy on floral hops, slight yeast

T: a large very bitter hop presence, grapefruit peel, not much sweetness to back it up, finish is dry

M: thinner, medium carbonation

O: following the trend of "session" beer (a term that I hate to utter) this beer has low alcohol content, a lighter body, and comes in a hippy friendly package (can), it exists so that you can drink a 12 pack over the course of a day and enjoy the nice flavor of hops instead of metallic macro swill and still find your berkinstocks next to your Prius and tent at the music festival in the morning, hate the concept but like the taste

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This has become my beer of choice for weekends tending the yard. Big flavor and hop presence for a session. Mouth and carbonation are also right on for easy drinkin. The downside for me on this local craft is the price. For a georgia beer i think the $16 price point for a 12-pack in atlanta is a bit steep.

I tend to like APAs and this is a great representation of the style and a nice alternative to standbys like Sierra Nevada.

3.86/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is another one I picked up in Panama City Beach, Florida. Poured from a 12 oz. can: slightly hazy, golden to orange with a sustained, fluffy white-head. The bottom of the can had a date stamped, but it was smeared.

When I opened the can, an explosion of pungent, bittersweet tropical fruit greeted me. I also thought I detected a little piney aromas; so far so good.

The key to this ale is its refreshing character. A delightfully, thirst quenching taste with flavors of mango and grapefruit with a soft malty background. The hop bitterness lingers a bit then subsides leaving a semi-sweet, malty aftertaste. There is just a faint hint of staleness in the aftertaste but overall, for what it purports to be, it is very good.

The body is appropriately light with lively carbonation. The mouth feel is a little thin but I does have that nice lingering citrusy aftertaste.

This is another excellent, hoppy and flavorful "session ale". As the 12 pack box states, this is ideal for outdoor activities. It has turned very cold here, and I am satisfied to enjoy it indoors. I only regret I didn't buy a second 12 pack.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It might be late fall out there, but the summer of "session IPA" lives on!

Terrapin's aptly named Recreation Ale pours with a hazy golden-amber hue and a creamy, foamy froth to top it all off. If I had drank the beer at the proper zip for a lighter bodied beer, it would have retained the full session while speckling the glass with dots of foam.

Its vivid aromas are strongly citrusy and also vegetative, seemingly of "wet-hops" Its underlying grain sweetness is somewhat of graham crackers and honey for a slim granola-like support. With little influence from yeast, the back-and-forth malty/hop dialogue sides strongly with hops for all things citrus- from the grapefruit peels, pith and pulp to its stems, leaf and bark also.

Its taste is malty-dry and stingy-sweet. Light caramel and honey dissolves quickly on the palate to allow the middle to become a full-frontal display of hops. All that bring citrus flavor is of white grapefruit, slightly under-ripened oranges and a tinge of lemon. Its musty fruit flavor opens up to slight wine character, pineapple and bruised apples. Trailing with an extra-sharp bitterness, its the chlorophyll, sappy taste that's similar to sassafras teas, lemon verbena and cannabis.

Its lively body is creamy-dry even up front. As the sweetness quickly fades, its dryness powers on, lifting hops, grain and vegetal spice with ease. Its finish comes quick as does its bitterness, hop-derived astringency and drying alcohol. Fruit and grass linger on, but the beer is a crisp and clean bit throughout.

The only thing about making this a "recreation ale" is that I could recreate the hell out of a twelve-pack of this stuff. And that's tough to drag through the wilderness as the label would suggest.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thank to who ever brought these the tree beer event at riversidepark in grand rapids

First terrapin poured from a 12 once can

Pours a lighter copper color

The smell is really nice well balanced with nice froal hops and a hint of grapefruit

A good amount of hops up front withfairly nice balenced malt back bone. a good amount of bitterness but not to much making this verry drinkble

Nice mouthfeel as you would expect for the style

Not quite has good as i was hoping but still a verry good beer just left a little something to be deisired if you ask me.

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty amber color with a big foam head. Lace is patchy. Aroma is full of nice fresh grassy fruity hops and clean grains. Citrus and tropical. Taste is bright and happy. A little pine resiny, citrus, earthy and green. Grassy bitterness lingers. Texture is very liquid, smooth, and dry. I like this beer. A sessionable treat.

3.74/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Canned Terrapin! C'mon, good experiences!!

Light amber with some ribbons of yeast accidentally added from the pour. A nice static white head of crystalline form.

Dry earthy hops with a floral bent. Wafts of white grapefruit, but a formidable floral hop nose is a-showin'. Biscuity malts seem distracting, and the hoppiness is around a B-, but it's still appealing.

Soft flavors. Grapefruit and floral hops with a mutable character, dualed by faint dry tropical notes and crackery malts. I get a lot from the can-conditioning, where the yeast offers some complementary nuttiness. Still, that Terrapin hop bill is somewhat unsatisfying.

Medium carbonation with a light-medium carbonation. Feels like a hoppy pale or an IPA.

It's okay. Not too bad. Surprised that I like a hoppy Terrapin as much as this.

Terrapin RecreationAle from Terrapin Beer Company