Black Mountain Stout - Neil House Brewery & Homebrew Supply

No picture uploaded.

Neil House Brewery & Homebrew Supply
Ohio, United States

American Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 09-29-2010)
Spider889

1.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Sorry Neil House, I'm all for supporting the local guys, and as a budding home brewer I am rooting for the little guy, but, this beer was a mess.

Had it at the Columbus Microbrew Fest. Actually tasted this alongside MbpBugeye.

As I walked back to my table I was smelling the beer, and my first impression was: sour. Wait, what?!? Sour?? A stout?? Hmm, it was an estery/fruity sour so I decided to dive right in - after all Madruga Obscura by Jolly Pumpkin was an interesting take on the style...

Anyways, beer was black but thin, very thin and watery looking. Small dark head leaving some retention.

Again, the smell was "off." I really hope that this keg was somehow infected, but then again, Seth made a great point: they shouldn't have been serving it if it was. And if not, then their recipe is seriously flawed, and I don't think I'd have much reason to ever try their beer again...

The taste was the same as the smell but amplified. Sour funkiness. If this were a lambic we might have something interesting here, but because this is being branded as an average American Stout, well, this is just all wrong. Sour cherries, wet newspaper, day-old coffee grounds, really, a kind of acidic garbage smell that stings the nose a little and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. There was some dark roastiness and malt flavor, but it was all pretty heavily masked by the infection. Super sweet throughout, leaves a tart granny smith apple taste behind.

Not drinkable.

If you see this, ask for a complimentary sample to ensure this isn't a problem with the beer at large.

10-05-2010 06:32:31 | More by Spider889
MbpBugeye

1.13/5  rDev -13.7%

I was excited to try some Neil House stuff at the Columbus Microbrew Fest. I went Saturday and it seemed like all of their stuff was pretty much gone by then. This was the only beer they had left.

A- Poured a thin looking black with really only air bubbles. No head, no lacing.

S- Sour? Im already thinking infection, unless for some reason they use open fermentation and they want it to be this way. It does have some nice chocolatey notes but there is a sour, fermented berry kinda smell.

T- Yeah, its a wreck. A small hint of chocolate disappears before you can enjoy it. Its crushed by a funky, messed up sour taste. Like sour cherries.

Im just thinking this was infected or something, but I dont know why they would keep it on at a fest where Columbus people are trying your stuff for the first time. I wont give up on them this quickly but I cant help it if my opinion is beginning to get weighted.

09-29-2010 02:56:39 | More by MbpBugeye
Black Mountain Stout from Neil House Brewery & Homebrew Supply
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.