Cooper's Cave IPA - Cooper's Cave Ale Company

Cooper's Cave IPA
No picture uploaded.

Cooper's Cave Ale Company visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: WesWes on 08-17-2005)
Reviews by eporter66:
2.35/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz Bomber direct from the brewery into a pint glass

Made a visit to the Coopers Cave brewery today and brought home 3 Bombers (IPA, English Pale Ale, Porter).

A - Pours a cloudy amber color, not much head from pour but retains small ring.

S - A musty odor, not sure what this is from, but also had this from their pumpkin ale back in the fall

T - Seemed one dimensional. My limited experience with IPA's seem to have a variety, this beer had a little bitterness, but not what I am used to with IPA's. So maybe the english brewing is a bit different. Did not get much malt flavor, no fruity character from the hops - a fairly bland beer

M - Average, a little slickness on the tongue

D - The odor kind of puts me off on this beer. This is the second beer I have had from the company and I am not sure why it has that musty smell. Drinkability was ok, it is not a heavy beer.

Coopers Cave has just opened a bar next to the brewery. I am hoping the other beers in my fridge change my opinion, as I would love to support the place, but they need to produce a better beer. Davidson Brothers are only a few blocks away, and are far superior to anything I have had from Coopers Cave.

1.7/5  rDev -35.8%

A - Poured a clear amber, with moderate carbonation, very little head that quickly faded to a ring around the edge.

S - Sweet mop water and apples. No really... Reminded me of candied apples (not entirely bad but not beer like) with a mop water stink.

T - Musty, rotting apples is the first taste followed by a bit of sweetness, then a medicinal bitter hit at the end. The bitter after taste just lingers and lingers...and lingers...

M - Body is about right on for an EIPA, even a little warmth from the alcohol, but my beer face just doesn't go away because of that bitter lingering aftertaste...it just lingers...

O - I thought the Cranberry Lambic from Sam Adams was just about the worst thing I ever had that was beer. This it right with it...I made it though a quarter of a glass and then dumped it and the rest of the growler...and I do NOT just do this sort of thing lightly. Truly a terrible beer. I really hope this aftertaste goes away...it is just lingering...and lingering...

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%

1.25/5  rDev -52.8%

Wow....

After hearing the owner complain about how beer advocate folks just slam their beers unfairly, I thought I'd at least give them a try.

Awful. Just awful.

It looked fine in the glass, but once I brought it to my nose it turned my stomach. It smelled like an old towel left to dry rot. There was a musty, moldy smell I've never experienced before. I tried a sip hoping it was just me, but the flavor was just as bad. It went down the drain.

This beer was "fresh" from their brewery, out of their own cooler, transported in a cooler for an hour, put in a fridge and opened later that night. If you can't control mold issues, maybe expanding to a brewpub might be a bad idea?

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

2.38/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours slightly hazed deep amber with a very thin patch that fades in and out.

The smell is floral, earthy, tea-leafy. Raw hearbal/medicinal notes come through as well as something like paint/nail polish remover (acetone?) Rather unpleasant.

The taste is floral, herbal, earthy. Raw with some chemical-like (again - acetone-like) taste, though not as much as in aroma. Some solvent alcohol with a touch of chalky dryness.

Strong aroma and taste in a rather weak body. Tannic bitterness lingers, as does a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

I can see the effort in being an English-style IPA, but things don't mesh well here. Flaws not well-hidden. This one rubbed me the wrong way as a whole.

Well, thanks to jcwattsrugger for bringing this back for sharing, nevertheless.

3.75/5  rDev +41.5%

1.68/5  rDev -36.6%

The look is a nice orange color. No much head but what is there forms a film on the top. Very clear.

Here is where we have a problem...

Has a very powerful, sharp malt smell. It's very strong, and not in a good way. It's not a hoppy, IPA smell in any way. It's a musty cardboard smell. Not great.

The taste is very musty and stale. I would normally hold the brewery harmless, but i bought the 22 oz bottle from their own cooler. The samples at the brewery were very good, but the bottles did not hold up their end of the bargain. There is no reason this beer should be this stale since we bought it on premises. Absolutely unacceptable. Bitter, and not in a good way. Tastes awful.

Light bodied. This is not a good beer. At least not in this form. If I bought this at a bar, I would send it back. Not at all what I wanted or expected. Do not buy this beer out of a bottle. Maybe a growler is better, but the 22 oz bottle is the most incompetent beer I've ever had. Much much different than on tap. Run, don't walk.

[I am willing to chalk this one up to an anomaly, but I bought 2 IPA's from this place, and I have to see some improvement to give a positive review. This is a positively old and skunked beer. Again, this is a solid brew in its perfect form, but I can never tell anymore whether this is just a bad batch or if it's what I can expect from this brewery.]

3.48/5  rDev +31.3%

The beer pours a dark gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry, musty scent that boasts of pale and carapils malts. It is bitter with some English hops. It helps eliminate the nasty yeast odor. The taste is pretty good. It has quite a bitter flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry with a slightly musty finish. It is well balanced and flavorful. It's probably the best beer I've had from them. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a decent beer. It has good flavor; a fine drinker.

A nice amber color slightly cloudy with a desent size head and some lacing. Beer is flat.
Aroma is a sort of musty malt with no hop aroma at all.
Taste is wanting, several off tasting flavors distracts from the beer.
Everytime we come up to the 'dacks we make some stops through the falls and L.G. Out of the trio thats in this area C.C. is the most wanting. Really thier beers are lame.

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%