Baltic Porter - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Baltic PorterBaltic Porter

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Baltic Porter |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thrasher on 12-08-2003)
Reviews by HiroProtagonist:
4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

Had a freshly poured pint of this at the Raccoon Lodge. This one came to me with a large creamy root beer foam-colored head. The brew was a very dark tawny-brown color. It looked great. The aroma contained resiny hops and roastiness. Not too complex. The taste was were it was at however....flavors of smokiness and licorice danced around my palate, while an assertive hop level pulled it all together. Very well balanced. Hop and licorice flavors lingered in my mouth eons after I took a sip. Midway through my pint, I noticed sheets of clingy foam coating most of the inside of the glass. Mouthfeel was full, velvety, and flirty. The drinkability was excellent. The alcohol was fully enveloped by the flavors. A very enjoyable and well-done brew...I will be going back for more!

HiroProtagonist, Jan 01, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Sampled at the 2003 Holiday Ale Festival, Portland OR. Aged for 6 weeks in French oak wine barrels. Dark, dark brown with a medium sized head, impressive considering the abv. Very sweet, and oatmealish, without the overpowering licorice qualities of baltics (although a trace of it is there). Not too sticky or cloying, and the wine bolsters the sweetness. Hops definitely play their part in the crisp finish. Surprisingly light and drinkable. Terrific.

Thrasher, Dec 08, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

22oz bottle acquired in trade with riversideAK (thanks!).

Poured a deeper brown color with a large sized off white head. Aromas of some lighter woodiness, chocolate, nutty, and some dark fruits. Tastes of dark fruits, black cherries, oaky woodiness, and I'm getting some of the wine. Had a tart finish that I really liked.

hopdog, Jun 14, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at the Holiday Ale Festival the other day.

The beer pours a dark brown color with very good head retention and lacing. The nose on this beer is so lovely, with a green fresh hoppiness superimposed upon a boatload of brown sugar and coffee. The flavor profile doesn't quite live up to the promise of the nose, and there was a sour component to this beer that was surprising. I didn't think it went well with the moderate sweet coffee, brown sugar, chocolate and vanilla. Mouthfeel is fairly full, and the beer has a fairly long finish. However, I thought the sour compenent hurt this beer's drinkability just a bit, though there's not doubting that this is another solid beer from Cascade. Nice stuff.

John_M, Dec 05, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

Bomber with cartoony drawing of the onion domes, 22 SG, 4.4 FG, 70 IBU, 8.5% ABV, bottle conditioned and barrel hopped. Poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter, the Baltic Porter is a dark hazy brown with a large, thick ivory head that is long lasting and leaves very thick, rocky foam.

Smell is strong herbal, minty, spicy hops.

Taste is also very hoppy, but plenty of malt, anise, semi-sweet with a crisp dry finish that hints at it's strength, mainly with some trace phenols. The first sip really through me off, and was not at all what I was expecting, the hops overwhelming the malt, even providing a sour component (although that could also be from the barrel aging, which would make it a bit more authentic). I also don't notice much character from the barrel aging, save for some vinous notes, which is disappointing, as I've found the vanilla notes really work well with the richer dark malt flavors found in better examples of this style. Really not a bad beer, but not what I think of a Baltic Porter, lacking the complex, malty depth that I look for.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, lacking the viscosity I was expecting.

Drinkability is OK, the ABV is well hidden, but the hoppiness was a bit much for my taste in the style. I don't really care for these hoppier American strong black ales however, and didn't find this satisfied my desire for a rich Baltic Porter.

ccrida, Mar 24, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

I can’t help but admire the care and effort that went into creating this strong-hopped porter. It was brewed to 68 IBU, aged for two months in French oak wine barrels, and then cellared for a year. This process reveals cautious mellow contours and slight vinous tones that easily mask the 9.0% ABV.

Raccoon’s Baltic Porter is pure brown with no ruby highlights. Its flavor is neither bold nor assertive and yields no discernable aroma. Neither is any head or lace to be found.

I drank a pint of the 2004 release just hours after the keg was tapped. I can’t say as this beer lived up to the hoopla surrounding its release. Not this year. But it is an enjoyable brew – casual and brewed with passion.

RedDiamond, Dec 17, 2004
Baltic Porter from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.