2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cascade Apricot Ale - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Apricot AleCascade Apricot Ale

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

"Brewmaster Ron Gansberg based this Apricot Ale on a Belgian Tripel, putting it through 16 months lactic fermentation and aging in French oak wine barrels. The apricots were allowed to slowly ripen before introduction into the beer; the beer then aged another four months on the fruit before bottling."

(Beer added by: ccrida on 04-18-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cascade Apricot Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 976 | Reviews: 246 | Show All Ratings:
305BEER

1.1/5  rDev -74.7%

I Guess I will be the exception here. I and the others at my place thought this was just awful. It smelled and tasted like apple cider vinegar with no apricot to be found. I have had and enjoyed a few of the other cascade projects but this was just not drinkable imo. It fizzed in my sink like a cleaning product would.

08-12-2013 18:38:56 | More by 305BEER
cpetrone84

2.7/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a copper orange color with a thin white head and a decent lace left behind. The nose is overly sweet and simple seeming a touch artificial. Candied sugars and spearamint tickle the nose as appricots take over and dominate. The taste is sugary and minty, lots of appricot roll over the tongue. Very little integration as the mint, sugars, and fruit don't seem to have a defined roll. This is overly sweet with a creamy syrupy feel, prickly carbonation in the back, and a touch wet and oily.

12-13-2011 14:52:52 | More by cpetrone84
beertunes

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -28%

2009 bottling. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly cloudy/hazy orange with a tall, fluffy, off-white head that had decent retention and no lacing.

The aroma was mostly sour with the apricot in the background. There were just hints of the base grain and the yeast. The story was pretty much the same on the tongue, the bitter sourness dominates and the apricot (which is not my favorite fruit) is in the background.

The body was thinner than I like in a Tripel (which is the base beer for this, according to the label). Drinkability was OK, but nothing that made me want more.

Overall, a good beer that you may enjoy more than I did. Worth trying if you see it.

03-04-2011 04:28:39 | More by beertunes
AdamGarcia

3.18/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2009 bottling, served in Stella tulip.

A: cork comes off without much ado. Pours much flatter than anticipated. Small, short-lived, soapy head. Hazy, orange color. Looks silmilar to apple cider in some lights.

S: Has a citric tang with some sweet orange and apricot. A little lactic sourness.

T: Tart up front, followed by some sweetness. Not much in the way of specific fruit flavor. I wouldn't be able to isolate apricot if I didn't know ahead of time. Sour, but approachable. Slightly juicy finish.

M: minimal carbonation. Nearly still.

D: Tastes like....disappointment. Got this bottle in a trade and I'm totally happy to have tried it, but something has to be off with this bottle. I'll try it again in the future (hopefully with better results) if the opportunity presents itself.

03-02-2011 03:18:47 | More by AdamGarcia
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.23/5  rDev -25.7%

Acquired from ipa247. 2008 vintage. Consumed 4-27-2010. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice amber color, surprisingly clear, with a huge sticky head. The bubbles are massive and loose and leave cobwebbed lacing a the start, then the head fades just a bit to a ring, and leaves tighter clumps of bubbles. Looks good, darker than I expected, I guess. The smell is slightly tart, pretty fruity, like peaches and some tart berries. It smells pretty sweet. Also, you can sense the funkiness of this one there too. I'd say it's not the best smelling lambic, but all of the elements are there. The flavor comes out with fruit, like fleshy, soft, juicy fruit. The beer is fairly sweetn, not too tart at all, and the apricots kind of win in the fruitiness, but I can also detect berries. I can kind of taste the malt, but mixed with the yeast character, it just comes across as straw and grass. I also get a little peach alcohol taste. After the fruit, and as it warms, you start to get the wildness of this one, and I don't think it is the most successfully developed wild ale. There's just this B.O. and foot funkiness, that didn't seem to get to the point of the acidic bacteria coming in, so there's very little acid or dryness to balance out this thick sweetness in this one. These are definitely characteristics of wild ales, kind of normal ones, but it's too one dimensional, and a little like fruity sweat, if that at all makes sense. The body is nice and full, with a moderate carbonation, but it's not as dry, and maybe a little too full for a good lambic. And I got a little bored of it while I was drinking. I think it could use a little more tartness and acidity, maybe a little longer conditioning to really let those flavors develop more (or maybe it went too long and the bacteria started eating the wrong stuff, sometimes I can't tell the difference - or maybe I don't know it well enough). The fruit would be nice in a more "sour" tasting beer, it has a very nice effect.

06-04-2010 11:40:18 | More by taylorhamrick
Trilogy31

3.28/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottling, pours a cloudy amber with sunset orange hue. A heavy champagne style foam quickly builds and recedes just as fast. Nose is of sour funk, apricots, must and earth and a little spicy belgian yeast. Taste is a puckering citrus sour, stone fruits and a pleasant funk along with an unfortunate penny taste. Easy to drink and hides the abv well. Solid sour though not great.

05-02-2011 04:42:17 | More by Trilogy31
RedDiamond

3.38/5  rDev -22.3%

This tart, fruited ale is first brewed as a Belgian-style tripel with a commercial ale yeast. It undergoes eight months of conditioning in oak wine barrels exposed to "free range lactobacillus" bacteria to achieve its characteristic lactic souring. This is followed by an infusion of ripe apricots and three months of further fermenting and conditioning. The beer is then bottled and allowed to condition for several more months.

The result is a golden ale with a casually hazed hue pocked by a few wayward flocs. After an initial outpouring of carbonation, no head or lace emerges. Instead, a wine-like tartness arrives with no appreciable apricot properties. This carries forward to the flavor where apricot essence is just mildly evident. A sour apple quality defines the greater part of it with a slight gingery bite. Bittering and hop flavor are deliberately withheld.

Cascade Apricot is a simple and momentarily elegant ale though it is somehow incomplete without a more fully expressed measure of fruit flavor. Give it some warming and a wishful hint of apricot does emerge.

07-09-2008 01:40:20 | More by RedDiamond
kbutler1

3.48/5  rDev -20%

Bottle. I believe this is a 2009 bottle. Pours a clear golden honey color with a big fluffy white head that nicely laces as it settles. If memory serves me correctly I don't believe Cascade uses brett but this has an aroma of brett to it with florals and a touch of fruit. I expected this to have a more fruit forward aroma vs. the florals. Light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. The flavor is brett-like floral with touches of sweetness. The apricot doesn't seem to be as strong as I would have liked and the flavor seems almost watered down. Not bad but I thought this would have been better.

11-08-2010 12:28:11 | More by kbutler1
jrallen34

3.53/5  rDev -18.9%

I drank this from a 750ml bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a honey gold, apricot?, with nice carbonation. Light white, rises about three fingers and is gone right away.

The aroma is very strong tons of a sweet apricot. Its almost like honey, not a lot of tart here at all. The epitome of a fruit beer.

The taste is a little let down to me. I was expecting something that was a really nice sweet, instead its a weird carbonated juice. There is some light apricot and a hint of a sour finish, but otherwise disappointing.

A very light feel, easy to drink but kinda blah that wouldn't make me want to drink much.

05-16-2010 00:56:02 | More by jrallen34
Alieniloquium

3.53/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep orange, hazy body. Medium white head. Dissipates to an unbalanced collar.

Smell - Very acetic. Stone fruits, apricot. A bit of oak. Apricot comes out as it warms.

Taste - Much less oppressive with the acetic sourness. Pale malt. Sourness is strong, but more varied. Apricot and stone fruit is very prominent up front. Other citrus flavors seem to linger afterward. Still quite acetic in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Medium bodied. Pushing the limits of very sour.

Overall - Enjoyable, but really sour, which masks any complexity it has. A passive taste doesn't reveal all of the flavors.

08-07-2013 23:58:38 | More by Alieniloquium
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.55/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Color is a hazed apricot yellow/orange. Just like an apricot. Has an off white head.

Aroma: Dried apricots and sweetness. Pleasant nose. Nothing over the top sour, but a bit shows. A little bit of funk shows.

Taste: More medicinal than I thought it would be. Pretty funky. The fruit is nice, but it is overly funky. A bit of sour shows. I would like to try a fresher bottle of this. I believe I had a 2008 bottle.

Mouthfeel: Funky and creamy. A lighter bodied beer with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry with some sweetness.

Overall, I was expecting more from this, but I couldn't help but compare it to FouFoune. This beer just couldn't compete with Cantillon's apricot sour. It was still drinkable, however.

10-19-2010 23:18:52 | More by mothman
Hoptometrist

3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

2012 vintage served on tap into a snifter

A- Poured a cloudy tangerine orange with white head that dissipated instantly and left no lace.

S- Very astringent and sour aroma. Big sugary, sweet, and sour apricot notes, also a weird almost glue like smell.

T- This is one of the most intensely sour, tart, and astringent beers I have ever had. Big apricot and some Belgian yeast notes.

M- Very high carbonation, very dry, and medium body.

O- The sourness on this beer seemed to overwhelm some of the great flavors that I am sure are hidden underneath. I just didn't get much complexity that I would expect for a beer that spent so much time in the barrel.

12-07-2013 03:06:49 | More by Hoptometrist
Metalmonk

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

2009 bottling, "ale brewed with apricots & aged in oak barrels," 9% ABV listed on label.

Typical of many a corked-n-caged bottled conditioned ale, this gushed a little upon popping the top, but not enough to make a huge mess. This beer has a tremendous look to it--a deep, coppery/reddish sunset color, with a thick dirty-white head that's incredibly firm. Tilting the glass this way and that, it leaves big rainbow-shaped lace patterns.

Aroma is very strong. I could smell it from a foot away, and bringing the nose in for a closer whiff, I have two immediate thoughts: 1) the yeast is phenomenally appealing--earthy, dirty, funky, mingling very well with the super-natural apricot character, and 2) alcohol is a little too prominent, seeming medicinal and bringing down the better elements of the nose. No matter, it's still a wonderful beer to sniff on.

Holy Extreme Sweet Tarts...this baby is sweet, and only the earthier vibe of the yeast pulls it down to earth. Very candy-like, with the apricot essence bursting like a supernova. Alcohol adds further brightness to its saccharine character. The yeast takes us from Candyland to Flanders-land, and it's right in the middle that this beer sits comfortably, from the sickly sweettoothrot of the fruit sugars to the barnyard vibe of Belgium's lambic-producing region. Of course, there's a tart/sour tandem beating up on the mouth all the while. A Sweet Tarts character lingers in the finish. Also remarkably acidic and dry.

It feels tremendous, being at once bubbly and tingly and also having the kind of heft, roundness and weight I like in big beers. The label reveals this is based on the brewery's Temptor Triple, and it's the mouthfeel that betrays the fact this is an Americanized, hybridized, gargantuan-ized sort of lambic.

I like it, but it's so incredibly bright and sweet that it's like drinking liquid candy, and at 750 ml., all to myself tonight, I can't rate drinkability that high. Doubt I'll even get through the bottle. But I love it big and extreme and alcoholic, so I do enjoy it, and can confidently say this lambic will never be mistaken as a "girly beer," as some lambics unfortunately are.

05-11-2010 22:59:37 | More by Metalmonk
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev -15.4%

2009 vintage.

Cascade Apricot has a golden tinged, orange body with a full-sized off-white head. Retention is quite good, a little bit of lacing stays behind as well.

The aroma has a huge sourness to it, with apricots behind it. Insanely sour aroma.

The first sip of this beers seems to be ridiculously sour to me also, but subsequent tastes seem to be toned-down quite a bit. Cascade Apricot has a moderate to heavy sourness overall; however you want to quantify it, the sourness is pretty good. Behind the sourness is an obvious apricot flavor, which is always a nice fruit to pair with a sour flavor. Beyond that, there is a dose of wood and a leathery flavor.

Not quite mouth puckering, but Cascade Apricot definitely gives me a tinge of that sensation. Fairly high carbonation.

Cascade Apricot is a solid sour that relies mostly on a sharp, lactic sourness and fruit flavors. I like it, and it was quite nice to drink.

10-15-2011 13:17:26 | More by Hojaminbag
Ghenna

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

The wife bought this as part of her own personal cache on her way back South from a conference in Seattle. 2008 Bottling

Poured into a pint glass, decent sized though extremely quickly dissipating, hazy gold color. Smells of, initially, fruit punch fruit roll up. I mean, it smells like apricot, but it's actually fruit punch fruit roll up. Suffice to say, memories of elementary school rekindled, I was looking forward to fruit roll up flavored lambic. I had a major misconceptions though:
This is not a lambic (at least as I know them, i.e. Lindemans, Cherish). It is a Belgian Flanders style Ale with Apricot. I think what really separates this from the Lambics that I am used to is the sour. The Sour flavor from my usual lambics tend to be smooth, and almost creamy. It doesn't hit you all at once- I'd call it complex. The sour on this isn't drawn out- its all at once and (relatively) harsh.
All of that said, this isn't bad by a stretch. It doesn't fit my conception of what a lambic should be, but it isn't too bad as a slightly sour apricot flavored belgian. With the high alcohol content (bottle says 9%) it might age well, and I believe that the sour might grow a little more complex. If I ever come across it again I might give that a shot.

02-16-2010 03:00:19 | More by Ghenna
cxr1037

3.73/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Notes from a bottleshare last week (thanks Luke!). Of note was a slight bit of mold at the bottom of the cork. We feared oxidization but there weren't any perceptible oxidized flavors, but looking through reviews, I don't think this tasted like it should have.

APPEARANCE: A clear, straw-colored pour with a bright white head.

AROMA: Tart funk complemented by a floral, light-fruitiness. Not a ton of apricot, but a little is there. I also get some hay and vinegary sauerkraut.

TASTE: The apricot wasn't overly strong on the nose, but it really comes through in the taste. Very tart, with subsequent yeasty funk. Hints of citrus. The sauerkraut is stronger here than it was in the aroma, but still not overbearing.

MOUTHFEEL: Tart and effervescent, with lingering acidity. Also a little bit astringent. Medium-dry finish.

OVERALL: This was very good, but I feel it wasn't at it's best. The presence of mold under the cap is probably the culprit behind the sauerkraut taste/smell. I'll have to give this one another try sometime to see if there's much difference.

80/100

02-24-2014 00:46:15 | More by cxr1037
DefenCorps

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottling (Philadelphia version), clocking in at 9%. Aged 8 months in barrels and on fruit for an additional 3, this batch is different than the 2008 one. Thank you for grabbing this, Peter. This is the first beer that I've had in 5 days, and after putting in about 40 hours at work over the weekend, I need a beer

Pouring a clear copper with a dense off-white head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a beautiful beer. Effervescence is high, and this Duvel glass really shows off this beer. The nose is excellent as well, with ripe, juicy apricots, showcased prominently. The apricot character is really outstanding, it is really ripe and bright with a noticeable fruit sweetness present. Moderately floral as well, there is a moderate lactic sourness behind the fruit with a little oak. There's also just a hint of wine present. The vinous aspect grows as the beer warms, with a rather leathery tannin quality being present.

The palate opens rather bracingly sharp. Either that, or the fact that I haven't had a beer in as long has compromised my tastebuds. However, there's no hiding behind the fact that the fermentation here could have used some additional bugs, the character is excellent, but comes across a little wanting. Definitely a lot more vinous on the palate, there's a rather noticeable tannin character with the grape skins really coming through. Apricots still do feature and prominently so, less fruity than the nose would suggest and a lot sourer. Towards the finish, I do get a rather noticeable alcohol character as well, with the tannins being harsher than I care for. That this was aged in wine barrels is rather obvious at this point. Medium-light in body with high carbonation, the finish is drying, vinous and tannic with a bit of alcohol heat. Drinking an entire 750 of a 9% beer solo when sleep-deprived is always ill-advised, but I've had beers that went down a LOT easier than this. Towards the end of my bottle, once some of the apricot intensity has wafted away, I get some of the dry, spicy, tripel base, and in conjunction with the lactic sourness and tannins, it's a rather peculiar beast.

For a soured tripel, I think the Vent D'Anges is a far superior beer.

09-07-2010 23:34:30 | More by DefenCorps
LilBeerDoctor

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Reviewed on 6/2/2010. 2009 bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy orange with a thick white head. Aroma of sweet apricots, peach, sweet tart candies, light funk, lactic acid. Flavor is very sweet and tart (like the candies) with some sour apricot. The sour apricot really comes out in the finish. Overall, very drinkable and tasty, quite tart. Perhaps not as fruity as I would have hoped but one of the better fruity sour ales out there.

12-23-2010 21:07:13 | More by LilBeerDoctor
aficionado

3.78/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a Duvel Tulip - Thanks BuckeyeOne!

Murky golden yellow body with moderate lacing, and a nice fluffy white head. Fizzy, fine champagne-like carbonation. Head dissipates in a couple seconds.

Weird medicinal aroma, juicy apricot, white unripe plum flesh, granny smith apple skins.

More strange medicinal notes on the palate. It tastes like fake apricot. Fruity and sour as expected, though it could've been even more sour. A little funky/musty/grassy and mildly oaky. Thin, crisp mouthfeel and high carbonation. Not as interesting as I had hoped unfortunately. Real good attempt for brewing this of a base Tripel, a little less "good" as a Fruit Lambic, but I consider this more of an American Wild Ale.

09-16-2011 21:20:23 | More by aficionado
morimech

3.81/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 Project

Pours a hazy golden color with a massive head that slowly settled to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left down the glass.

Acidic aroma that smells slightly funky. Vinous qualities with the faintest hint of apricots. One of the more interesting smelling Cascade wild fruit ales, just wish the apricots came out more.

Apricots likewise fail to impress in the flavor. Just too subtle and hard to even identify the flavor. Moderately tart and acidic with a lot of vinous flavor. Slight oak flavor as well.

Lively carbonation helps deal with this big bodied sour. The carbonation really seems to accentuate the acidity.

Like most of the Cascade fruit wilds, the added fruit does not add much. The Kriek being the exception. Still a worthwhile sour.

06-23-2013 19:25:11 | More by morimech
goodbyeohio

2007 vintage

soured belgian tripel aged with fresh apricots. golden, crystalline, a joy to the eye. the nose on this beer is pure fruit.. and the way the wild yeast grips the flavors of the tripel.. this is really puckering. less lactic, more fou-foune-y. the beer was rather high gravity to start, and that adds a real pleasant sipping aspect to the experience. most big sours ive had carry some excess sweetness, not this one. balanced for a fruit beer, consumer must love apricots.

02-10-2009 23:12:23 | More by goodbyeohio
hawks10

3.83/5  rDev -12%

750ml corked and caged bottle - 2009 Vintage - Poured into a tulip...

Pours a hazy dark orange, some amber and ruby colors mix in the haze, two fingers of white head forms and sticks around for a while...

Tart and fruity initially, but heavy in the must and funk...

Starts tart and slightly sweet but quickly moves to dry and funky. Very musty with lots of barnyard funk. The initial bright, tart fruit flavors mixed with the high carbonation give the beer an airy, tart champagne taste/feel up front. The funk hits quick and lasts all through the middle of the drink and well into the finish...

Medium bodied, a bit syrupy, but light and airy at the same time with the high carbonation...

12-28-2010 02:54:20 | More by hawks10
MbpBugeye

3.83/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to the most Ale-y of Watchers for this bottle. Shared with Spider889 and Ryan011235. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

Appearance
Lots of frothy head the color of heavy cream. Its incredibly long lasting, never really fading below a finger in height, so there's lots of droopy, heavy lacing. The beer is a deep peachy orange.

Aroma
Tart but its more oaky, increasing with warmth. A lot of nice funk. The funk is grassy, hay like and dusty. Apricots play a big part, giving this beer a juicy center and aromas of not yet ripe fruit. Spicy yeast intertwines with apple aromas. Some vanilla oak and a big horse blanket funk arise with more warmth.

Taste
Quite juicy. Lots of under ripe flavors that even border on bitter, providing balance. This beer has a very funky middle with lots of horseblanket. It then sweetens and becomes fruity for a crisp finish.

Mouthfeel
This is a tamer sour. It has a gentle pucker and a gentle dryness. The carbonation is sharp but soft at the same time. Alcohol is actually apparent, which is a feature I feel this beer could do without.

Overall
A quite nice beer. A tame, gentle sour loaded with under ripe apricot juiciness. Cascade does not disappoint.

06-22-2011 19:09:16 | More by MbpBugeye
ptykozoon

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a beautiful apricot orange, looks like the apricot is literally in the glass! Nice bubbles race continuously to the top, excellent retention and lacing. The layer of foam on top never dissipates, outstanding.

Smells fresh. Sour and sweet notes, oak in there as well.

Very nice sour tang albeit more subtle than most, the apricot is definitely there but subdued. As the beer warms up the fruitiness comes into play more. Not a bad sour.

Mouthfeel is decent; creamy yet dry. Alcohol subdued nicely.

After a while the apricot starts to take over the palette and it gets a bit too fruity and one dimensional for my taste. A 375ml would be perfect for this one.

09-01-2010 18:45:30 | More by ptykozoon
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

Tim's bottle, 2008 vintage, that has mellowed out as we shall see. Orange coloured body, understated carbonation. Very malty, subdued acidity. Very good drinkability. i'm glad to have had it, but not overwhelmed, perhaps the bold taste of a fresh vintage makes a difference.

02-20-2012 01:01:02 | More by Sammy