1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Cascade Apricot Ale - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Apricot AleCascade Apricot Ale

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

"Brewmaster Ron Gansberg based this Apricot Ale on a Belgian Tripel, putting it through 16 months lactic fermentation and aging in French oak wine barrels. The apricots were allowed to slowly ripen before introduction into the beer; the beer then aged another four months on the fruit before bottling."

(Beer added by: ccrida on 04-18-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cascade Apricot Ale Alström Bros

corysmith01, Jun 23, 2014

Gushue3, Jun 22, 2014

BryanCDM, Jun 22, 2014
4.26/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle split with no one since no one is around this evening.
8.5% abv

A: Poured into my night shift tulip a golden dark straw color with a one finger head, decent retention and good, ongoing, active carbonation. Much better head than I was expecting since most sours seem to miss the boat on this aspect. Several minutes later and the carbonation is still going. Great head, great legs, soapy lacing. What a great looking beer!

S: Very pleasant up front lactic acid aroma but not overwhelming. Very quickly the fruit shines through. Semi sweet, earth stone fruit nose. After several minutes I'm hard pressed to find anything but fruit and acid. Smell is very two-dimensional; not overly complex.

T: Oh that's damn good. I was expecting a lot more sour from this but it's very refreshing on this hot day before the summer solstice. Actually, this is the perfect beer to drink on the summer solstice. The lactic character is very present but almost plays a back seat to the apricots. Not too sweet, not too dry, very Goldilocks like thing going on here. This is definitely good, great even, but I wouldn't necessarily call it outstanding and it's far from perfect. I know that because of who this brewery is and how highly rated their beers are it's blasphemy to find holes in it but the taste is just missing something. It's very good but borderline lackluster. I guess the omnipresent apricots are really saving the overall taste score, even pushing it up a few notches because the lacking lactic acid is disappointing.

M: Mouth is really good on this one. Great carbonation overall, exceptional carbonation for the style, not too thin but not very heavy, again the Goldilocks effect here. Lots of balance. The what I could call 'subtle' lactic acid really enhances the mouth on this one too since it awakens the salivary glands just enough. I don't really think I could ask for anything different from the mouth.

O: Overall this is very solid. The perfect appearance and mouthfeel are going to garner a very high overall score but the smell will knock it down. I was expecting a little bit more out of this one. Cascade Blueberry is one of my most favorite brews and I think I had such high expectations for Apricot that it almost isn't fair to review it on my first time having it. During the early parts of this review I was sort of bashing it a bit because it didn't live up to the expectations but now that I've been drinking through more of it it is really growing on me. I'd definitely drink it again and will probably buy another one to try to have it in a less biased situation but I wouldn't see myself shelling out $30/bottle for it on a regular basis. In the end it misses the sourness I was expecting while wowing me with lots of fruit that isn't too sweet or dry. Great balance. Great beer. Kudos.

ThreeLions, Jun 20, 2014