Cascade Apricot Ale - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: ccrida on 04-18-2008

This NW style sour blond ale was barrel aged for up to nine months, then aged on fresh apricot for an additional six months. Aromas of sweet apricot blossoms and tart fruit are present as you draw the glass near. Deep, rich apricot flesh, then tart apricot notes dance on the palate and lead to a sweet apricot flesh finish with a lingering fruit tartness.
Reviews: 269 | Hads: 1,610
4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter. 2012 vintage.

(A)- Pours a cloudy golden yellow/orange color. Some good white froth formed and really stuck around for awhile with a light layer even until the last sip.

(S)- Big juicy apricot tartness up front. Flows into some dry oaky bits with an ever so slight funkiness.

(T)- Some good puckered acidity up front. Dry oak and subtle underlying sweetness. It finishes nicely with dry yet sweet apricots. Quite the sourness level on this too.

(M)- A good carbonation level. The acidity and sourness are definitely up there, but the apricots at the end are icing on the cake.

(O)- Definitely a hefty sourness with subtle oaky fruits, but I dig it.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

2009 bottling per the label, courtesy of mrand01 from our in person trade yesterday.

Pours a nice deep golden honey color with a thick cream colored 2 inch head on top and plenty of tiny carbonation bubbles.

Aromas begin quite lactic and acidic with plenty of fruity smells; apricot obviously but it also almost smells like peaches. I've heard apricots smell and taste like peaches when added to a beer. The sourness is def also present like fresh green unripened apples with a hint of oak barrel.

The tastes begin with sweet apricot immediately met with sour acidity. The oak and fruit provide a fair amount of tannins which dry out the beer quite a bit; pretty sour but not overly so that becomes a sipper or you need a glass of water.

The carbonation is quite high on the mouthfeel and the beer is very dry, especially on the finish, which I like in this style. Less sweet and quite dry; the way a fruity Belgian Flanders should be. Crazy high drinkability for 9.0%ABV. Not that I am going to but I could pound this if I had to; carbonation might slow me down but just saying...

Overall this is my first Cascade sour and I couldn't be happier with it; also my first apricot sour. Very enjoyable but just like all sours I will only really crave/want them on these crazy hot summer days when normal heavy beer is just undrinkable. Do I have to drink this again, no, but would I, definitely. Blows all that crap Lindemans brews way out of the water.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle shared by Joe - thanks!

Pours a hazy orange-golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of tart medium fruits - apricots and pears. Also present are hints of light and indistinct malts and even lighter hints of spicy oak.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off before being overwhelmed by medium fruit flavors - apricots and pears as with the aroma. The tartness is toned down a bit from the aroma but is still fairly large. Midway through the sip the tartness fades just a bit as oak flavors work their way into things. The fruit flavors take back over before a crisp and moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall I was a pretty big fan of this beer - it's not my favorite from Cascade but for a middle-of-the-road beer from a brewery they're doing pretty well. Worth a shot.

3.61/5  rDev -15.5%

I drank this from a 750ml bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a honey gold, apricot?, with nice carbonation. Light white, rises about three fingers and is gone right away.

The aroma is very strong tons of a sweet apricot. Its almost like honey, not a lot of tart here at all. The epitome of a fruit beer.

The taste is a little let down to me. I was expecting something that was a really nice sweet, instead its a weird carbonated juice. There is some light apricot and a hint of a sour finish, but otherwise disappointing.

A very light feel, easy to drink but kinda blah that wouldn't make me want to drink much.

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear golden with a fluffy white head. Amazing floral apricot, candy sugar, and caramel aroma with vanilla and oak notes. Creamy very bright and yet lively palate. Tastes of orange, apricot, lemon, caramel, green apple, vanilla, and oak with a tart, lightly acidic, crisp, dry finish.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle shared at Umberto's tasting.

It pours a hazy light orange, with lots of visible carbonation, and a pretty big 1.5 inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

This one smells profoundly sour, tons of funk and lactic acid, a bit of vinegar, with a good helping of apricot too.

This is one brow-beating sour. We had West Ashley and Fou Foune in the same night, and this one couldn't hold a candle to either of them, as both were much more subtle than this one. Looking at this one on it's own merits is much better. It's bracingly sour, in every way, I get sour wine, sour apricots, sour oak, and sour lemon, tons of lactic acid, some white wine vinegar, etc. It tastes good, but it's definitely not subtle, or elegant. It's a big brash bruiser of a sour.

This is medium bodied, with a tangy, crisp mouthfeel, and a fairly high level of carbonation. It's a slow sipper due to the intense sourness.

This is a very bold sour, but I do tend to prefer the more nuanced sours.

3.8/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottling (Philadelphia version), clocking in at 9%. Aged 8 months in barrels and on fruit for an additional 3, this batch is different than the 2008 one. Thank you for grabbing this, Peter. This is the first beer that I've had in 5 days, and after putting in about 40 hours at work over the weekend, I need a beer

Pouring a clear copper with a dense off-white head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a beautiful beer. Effervescence is high, and this Duvel glass really shows off this beer. The nose is excellent as well, with ripe, juicy apricots, showcased prominently. The apricot character is really outstanding, it is really ripe and bright with a noticeable fruit sweetness present. Moderately floral as well, there is a moderate lactic sourness behind the fruit with a little oak. There's also just a hint of wine present. The vinous aspect grows as the beer warms, with a rather leathery tannin quality being present.

The palate opens rather bracingly sharp. Either that, or the fact that I haven't had a beer in as long has compromised my tastebuds. However, there's no hiding behind the fact that the fermentation here could have used some additional bugs, the character is excellent, but comes across a little wanting. Definitely a lot more vinous on the palate, there's a rather noticeable tannin character with the grape skins really coming through. Apricots still do feature and prominently so, less fruity than the nose would suggest and a lot sourer. Towards the finish, I do get a rather noticeable alcohol character as well, with the tannins being harsher than I care for. That this was aged in wine barrels is rather obvious at this point. Medium-light in body with high carbonation, the finish is drying, vinous and tannic with a bit of alcohol heat. Drinking an entire 750 of a 9% beer solo when sleep-deprived is always ill-advised, but I've had beers that went down a LOT easier than this. Towards the end of my bottle, once some of the apricot intensity has wafted away, I get some of the dry, spicy, tripel base, and in conjunction with the lactic sourness and tannins, it's a rather peculiar beast.

For a soured tripel, I think the Vent D'Anges is a far superior beer.

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

750ml bottle, split

appearance: photogenic pour in hopleaf tulip - bright orange body, steady white cream head with full retention

smell: tart apricot, oak, spicy yeast

taste: really nice - tart apricot, peach, funky, white pepper, belgian yeast, tangerine, bright caramelized sugars.

mouthfeel: light and funky, creamy finish, tart

overall: great stuff

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

"Cascade Apricot Ale is based on our Temptor Triple Ale that has undergone over 8 months lactic fermentation and oak barrel aging. Ripe NW Apricots are fermented and with this beer for 3 additional months. This hand packaged and bottle conditioned ale will only get better with age...good luck waiting. Serve at 45-50 Degrees"

750 ml champagne bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, the Cascade Apricot Ale is a murky dark gold with a large off-white head that leaves moderate lace and some rocky foam. Served at celler temp.

Smell is bright sugary apricots with a dash of alcohol and slight hint of sourness.

Taste is very enjoyable, not nearly as sweet as the nose, much funkier. A decent balance between apricots and and lactic sourness, although the sourness is starting to take over, which is fine by me! Save for a bit of spiciness and slight phenols, the base trippel is long gone, although I always found it to be too malty and underattenutated, and much prefer this version, which the bugs really help dry out. None of the musty/horsehair you find in some wild ales, just pure lactic sourness. In fact, the brewers told me they didn't add any brett at all, just their house lactobacillus culture.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick, moderate carbonation and a dry, puckering finish, that leaves the teeth coated with sugar.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, this is a suitable champange substitute that even my non-beer drinking wife has indulged me with a glass or two. The booze is a bit heavy in the belly though, with a bit of a solevent feel cutting through the sourness, which, coupled with the high price, limits me to one bottle at a time. Still, as they suggest on the bottle, I've had a lot of trouble holding onto these to age. I think this is probably my fourth bottle, great to share with my wino friends to show them how diverse the beer world can be! I thought this was my favorite of the 3 they've recently released, although the Kriek I had yesterday slightly edged it out score wise, mainly due to the lower ABV/sugar/body. I still really love this one!

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

750 ml bottle - cork and cage - split into a New Belgium globe.
9.0% ABV, 2009 Bottling, Serve at 45°-50°F

Beerwolf77 constantly scratches my sour itch and nailed this big time want of mine so it's high-time I unveiled my massive "thank-you" to him: http://www.beerfm.com/2011/05/an-ace-of-base-ode-to-beerwolf/

A - Pretty clear, the golden apricot orange beer is loaded with strong carbonation. A tall pour lets loose a three-finger off-white head with great retention and lace despite the acidic level.

S - Minimal lactic acid comes through but tons of fruity apricot and funky barnyard wild yeast notes! Goaty, horse blanket, wet straw, fantastic fruit lambic aroma with an oaky finish.

T - The apricots don't come through as much as I had hoped but that definitely doesn't hinder my enjoyment of this awesome brew! Fruity, funky barnyard wild yeast blends perfectly.

M - Super sour and tart with great lactic tartness and a ball-twisting sour finish. Medium-bodied and highly carbonated

O - Fantastic. Not a hint of alcohol. Full acidic sourness and apricot fruitiness. This is a brilliant brew! Thanks Todd!

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

750mL bottle poured into snifter - 2011 project

Hazy light golden pour, thinner crop of white head fades into a small collar of filmy retention.

Fruit forward in the nose, juicy apricots with lactic sour scents. Funky yeast, white wine, oak. Inviting, slightly warm - I can't wait to try this.

Boom - apricots, ripe fruit, biting sourness. Lactic, slightly acidic but not overboard. Tempered amount of oak, hints of wine and white grape skin. More juicy apricots and funky, bretty sourness. Finishes with lingering fruit tartness and slight alcohol warmth.

Medium body, decent carbonation, dry and lasting on the tongue. This might be my favorite wild ale from Cascade yet, next to Vlad.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a hazed golden oranage color with full cap of prickly white head, diminishes quickly but leaves great lacing. Scent is of lactic sourness, apricots, tangerine, grahmn cracker. Taste brings a nice sourness that is in great balance with the apricots, nice amounts of grahmn cracker with soft presence of vanilla and oak. Medium bodied, perfect level of carbonation, soft on the palate. An excellent sour from Cascade that lets the fruit shine through with a perfectly balanced level of sourness.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer offers a flavor of underripe stone fruits and apricot, with a full lactic tart quality. A solid apricot sour, but slightly lacking in full palate notes and fruit flavor.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Muchas gracias to Jeff for cracking this with me... I love Cascade sours and apricots, so the combination should be orgasmic. Pale amber and kind of "peachy" all-around; foggy and cloudy throughout the body with only a touch of visibility to the other side of the glass. A nimbus-like head forms and grows quickly, then recedes just as fast to a silky skin atop the apricot brew that lasts for over half the glass. No lacing, no legging.

A fantastic arrangement of fresh, farm-market apricots explode upon bringing my nose to the brew. The fruity elegance is broken up by a solidifying tartness; sour, juicy, and lactic. The sourness seems to grow with each and every successive whiff, as does the acidity. Not much in the way of actual vinegar, but some vinous-oak notes reside faintly in the background. It smells fruity, it smells tart. Now I can only hope it tastes that way, too.

Well, my hopes for a sour beer were certainly met! One sip and I'm already puckering and wincing from the onslaught of lactic and acetic acid. The fruit character is astoundingly tasty, gushing with ripe apricots, lemon-juice, and maybe a hint of white grapes. Cascade Apricot is definitely a bit vinous in flavor, as the oaky and wine-like notes buckle down and start hitting the palate hard. Dry oak, damp hay, must, and horsey-funk are strong in the finish, along with the apricot's kiss of death.

Unlike the nose, the flavor also shows heavy vinegar characteristics, as well as a substantial amount of acidity. The taste is amazing, but this shit will burn a hole in your stomach lining. Granted, I had consumed a few other sour beers before this one, but each sip of Cascade Apricot left a burning feeling in the pit of my gut; I'm sure I was pushing ulcer-like levels of acidity down there.

So juicy, refreshing, and tasty, despite the fierce acidity. I was at such a personal crossroads with myself - so goddamn tasty that I couldn't stop drinking it, but I knew I would pay for each and every sip. WORTH IT. Pretty thick and heavy-bodied for a wild ale, but most of Cascade's offerings seem to be a bit stronger and heavier than those of other brewers. Lively carbonation, slick, wet, and crisp mouth feel.

All around, this is really a fantastic beer. The flavors are great; fruity, juicy, quenching, tart, mildly funky, oaky - complex and refined. Really my only large complaint is the fact that your stomach might have an easier time handling battery acid than this stuff. Although I'm not ready to blame my entire abdominal agony on this beer since it wasn't the only sour of the night, you could definitely feel each sip as it went down. But there's no doubt that I'd gladly suffer for this one again, it's far too tasty to pass up.

2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours a copper orange color with a thin white head and a decent lace left behind. The nose is overly sweet and simple seeming a touch artificial. Candied sugars and spearamint tickle the nose as appricots take over and dominate. The taste is sugary and minty, lots of appricot roll over the tongue. Very little integration as the mint, sugars, and fruit don't seem to have a defined roll. This is overly sweet with a creamy syrupy feel, prickly carbonation in the back, and a touch wet and oily.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This smells precisely like dried apricot. Huge points for authenticity.

It tastes like fuzzy apricots. It's good. It's like...fruit juice with lactic acid.

Overall, really naturally fruity and delicious.

2009 750ml bottle thanks to SincereNC. Cloudy orange, almost brown. Smells quite interesting, sour yet not so fruity, not much funk either. The flavor was odd, slightly sour, slightly sweet, almost like a sweet and sour apricot candy but the apricot flavors were very, very subtle to me. At one point I thought it was a sweet pixie stick. I'd be interested to try their other bers but at $22 this would never get a repeat purchase from me. At $15 I could see myself buying this with some regularity. Craft beer prices have gotten a little too out of control these days when they are charging more than Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen for sours.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Last bottle in a super good tasting last night. Thanks a ton to Chico1985 for busting this out.

A- 750ml bottle split into three tulip glasses. A some what hazy orange body with a fizzy head. The white cap has some pretty huge bubbles in it but retains nicely for a Wild Ale. Nice medium thick clouds of lace.

S- Super pungent apricot fruit bomb, like pierces the nostrils with fresh fruit. You can tell the beer will be tart but it is just like an explosion of stone fruit goodness. Did I mention the awesome apricot freshness. Some funk and general sour citrus as well.

T- Again apricot and general stone fruit dominates the palate. This bottle is super fresh so maybe that helps with the fruit flavors. The sour bugs and funk blend in almost too well with each super fresh fruity sip. Some vinous, barnyard, lemon, fruit pit and funky qualities as well.

MF- Fairly foamy and dried out light end body like a Gueuze but maybe a bit creamier. Sour level is moderately high and the carbonation is on the higher end.

Each sip just reminds me of biting into a super ripe apricot and other similar pitted fruits. So flavorful and the tart wild aspect of the beer just tops it off to become a truly great brew. Maybe the best beer I have had this year. Some people seem to not get the apricot much but this bottle was fantastic.

4.14/5  rDev -3%

A - The cork blew off this one and hit the ceiling. Very hazy orange color, nice big head that disappeared really quickly and didn't leave a ton of lacing.

S - Wow, this is the most apricoty beer I have ever tasted. Smells like fresh, or maybe dry apricots, not the artificial stuff that a lot of these apricot beers smell like.

T - Apricot taste dominates. It's slightly sour, but there's a big apricot sweetness that takes over everything else. It's a very natural apricot taste that is nice and sweet and a great lambic take on the fruit itself.

M - Medium bodied, syrupy, nice carbonation.

D - Surprised this is over 8% abv. For that reason it is pretty drinkable, but the syrupy sweetness keeps it from getting super drinkable.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%

2010 vintage poured into my new Cascade Barrel House snifter. Now that's some classy shit!

Appearance. Pours a hazy peach-amber with almost two fingers of thick and creamy, off-white head that lasts a long time. Beautiful.

Smell. Sweet apricots and some dank old wood with a bit of spice.

Taste. Very tart and sour, again the old wood, a little bit of apricot. Reminds me a bit of sweettarts or sour chews candies with the slightly powdery taste. Very good and very unique ....for me anyways. Really enjoying this one.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body with strong, fine carbonation. Nice stuff here.

Overall. Starts out slightly ...shocking with that aggressive sourness but man, this stuff is addictive. Really liked it.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Sliverx for sharing this bottle...

A: Pours a light cloudy yellow with orange hues. There is only a thin pure white head that fades very quickly. All that remains if a tiny ring of bubbles along the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is tart and biting, with big sour notes. I get vinegar, mild apricot, and that oh so familiar Cascade scent.

T: It starts out crisp and apricot forward, but as it heads towards the middle of the beer, it tightens up and gets really sour. That Cascade yeast and vinegar flavor is unmistakable. The finish is sour and fruit. Delicious.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's bright and pucker from start to finish. It coats the palate and dries up in the back end.

O: Very nice beer. You know it's a Cascade sour, and you know it was brewed with apricots. Can you really ask for anything more? I'd love to get me hands on a few more bottles and drink this a few times a year.

4.09/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy orange color with a short head had that rests as a constant plate.
Nice deep sour aroma with notes of orange-lemon, sulfur, must and some funky lactic.
Quite Sour and acid taste with notes of salt (lots), lemon, apple vinegar, green apples and finishing with mild apricot. Dry and acid aftertaste.
Light towards medium body with tiny bubbles. Alcohol of 7.76% is absent.
This brew sure matured well (2011). A Sour with a delicate apricot background that is able to show intense acid and sour notes without producing awkward sensations.

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a light, shimmering copper color with a light-tan head. Aroma is vivid, sweet, dried apricots. Pretty cut and dry there. Flavor is also apricot-dominated, with a bit of unripeness and a somewhat solvent acidity. Sweet at first but after the palate calibrates, the sharp tartness attacks the corners of the palate. Not terribly sour. Pretty good, the fruit is really bright and fresh-tasting.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

750ml bottle, 2012 bottling. Thanks for bringing this one, Rob. Poured into a Darkness goblet last night, 12/7/2013.

Pours what I would expect an apricot sour to look like- a hazy straw-yellow, bordering on the verge of orange, head being a very nice effervescence that takes some time to settle. Bits and pieces of solitary bubble lacing sticks around on the glass.

Smells like freshly squeezed apricots with a ton of vinegar and funk. It is very intensely apricot-like and not a subtle nose at all. It is brashly acidic and pulls no punches.

On the sweeter side, but a mighty complex sour. Sweet and tart in the beginning, like a fruit beer but in the background there is a lot of acidity, vinegar, oak and funk that just takes over as the beer lingers in the mouth beyond the first sip. Everything is still a bit messy with each component being strong and intense, which detracts a bit from my enjoyment of this beer. Perhaps some time would do it good.

Thinner bodied, good carbonation, nice tart oaky earthiness on the back end. The flavours are quite intense so this is a sipper.. enjoyable one at that.

As mentioned before the flavour components are all there in its full glory. Its not a subtle beer where everything interacts with each other well, but rather it is a brash beer that is tart, sweet, sour, acidic and funky all at the same time.. but it is not particularly complex. In all the jumble, a bit of the essence of this beer is lost. Perhaps some time will do it good.

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

on tap at the brewery, Portland

Hazy platinum with no head.
Apricot fruit roll-up on the nose with a touch of white vinegar.
JuicyFruit, bright orchard fruit, a touch of funk, lemon zest and a bit of chalk.
Bracing fresh fruity finish and white spice linger.
Crisp, light, no heat.

Champagne-like. White vinegar and Belgian funk hidden under fruit, but still very acidic, in a good way. Probably the most accessible sour ever.

Cascade Apricot Ale from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub