Cascade Apricot Ale - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: ccrida on 04-18-2008

This NW style sour blond ale was barrel aged for up to nine months, then aged on fresh apricot for an additional six months. Aromas of sweet apricot blossoms and tart fruit are present as you draw the glass near. Deep, rich apricot flesh, then tart apricot notes dance on the palate and lead to a sweet apricot flesh finish with a lingering fruit tartness.
Reviews: 263 | Hads: 1,574
4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy tangerine color, capped by one finger of white head. Head retention is pretty good, and the lacing is pretty decent.

Smell: I get lots of citrus initially on the nose, as well as some dried apricot scents. I can definitely detect some lactic sourness in there too. It's not over the top or overly complex, but very pleasing.

Taste: Extremely good. Lots of apricot and citrus flavors up front with almost some caramelized sugar type flavors as well. Great funk and lactic presence follows, with pretty strong apricot and light funk on the finish. Pretty damn solid.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied with a low to moderate amount of carbonation. I enjoyed the hell out of this beer, and would most definitely have it again. I would love to get hold of a bottle or two. (793 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

2oz taster pour
Enjoyed at the barrel house in Portland, OR on 9/2/12

A: Pours out a very pale yellow color. It's fairly cloudy. I get a mild bright white lacing when I swirl it, but the head on the small pours is basically not there.

S: On the nose, I get that acidic sourness. A good amount of that tart green apple and then a sweetness from the Apricot I assume.

T: Taste follows the nose: Green apples, white grape juice, stinging sourness. The Apricots are there adding some sweetness to the tart fruit juice flavors. Don't get tons of oak on this one, but whats there adds some roundness to the brew. Softens the edges.

M: Light bodied, dry finish. (658 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011 Project 7.76% ABV. 750ml bottle served in a Russian River stemmed glass. Cork removed with a loud pop.

Appearance: Golden honey in color. Slightly hazy. A ton of visible carbonation streaming throughout the glass. Poured with about 1 finger of a slightly off white head (nice retention and lacing too)

Smell: Lots of lactic sourness, white grape, apricot, peach, slight oak and funk.

Taste: Big sour punch right at the front of the tongue that sticks around through the finish. More flavors of white grape, oak, apricot, vinegar. Acidic but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Medium/light bodied. Medium carbonation. Soft creamy mouthfeel. Sour dry finish. Very slight alcohol warmth.

Overall: Another great sour from Cascade. The apricot was a bit more toned down than I was hoping for, but this is still an excellent beer. I'd probably put this one slightly below some their others I've had though. (906 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Glowing, hazy apricot-coloured body with a decent bright-white head. Alright retention and lacing.

Smells of apricots, green apple, cider vinegar, lemon, funky barn, sour raspberry, brown sugar, a bit of alcohol. Awesomely complex.

Tons of sour apricot in the mouth. Bright lemon, sweet malt. The finish is sour and drying. Really sour and flavourful. No alcohol showing.

The carbonation is present but made of very small bubbles. Light body.

It's a little too sour to drink much of; it would probably leave you feeling like the time you were ten years old and your parents let you eat as much candy as you wanted. In smaller quantities though, this stuff is awesome. Thanks a ton Eric! This was my favorite brew from that particular session. I'd definitely pick this up if I ever run into it. (799 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

(750ml bottle from tai4ji2x!). Pours cloudy orange/apricot color with nice off-white head. Aroma is funky, ripe apricot, and so delicious. Taste is a sour, but not overly sour. There is the sweetness of the apricot there also. Medium bodied with a smooth finish. The carbonation is prickly. If you like sours and apricot, then you should like this beer. It's yummy. (365 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. No hiss or pop after my titanic struggle with the cork, yet a fizzy white head fueled by a steady swirl of carbonation tops the burnt orange body. Modest lacing is scattered about.

Plenty of dried and fresh apricots in the nose, but also honeysuckle, some funk and a heavy toffeeish malt presence. Smells rather sour and indeed it proves to be so. For a split second, a shock of sour, then mild musty funk and a persistent apricot flavor that lingers impressively yet isn't overpowering. Nice mouthfeel, plentiful carbonation made up of "soft" tiny bubbles. Finishes with a pleasant warmth with a touch of lingering tartness and apricot preserves.

Overal impression: Another winner from the reigning king of American sours. (765 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

"Cascade Apricot Ale is based on our Temptor Triple Ale that has undergone over 8 months lactic fermentation and oak barrel aging. Ripe NW Apricots are fermented and with this beer for 3 additional months. This hand packaged and bottle conditioned ale will only get better with age...good luck waiting. Serve at 45-50 Degrees"

750 ml champagne bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, the Cascade Apricot Ale is a murky dark gold with a large off-white head that leaves moderate lace and some rocky foam. Served at celler temp.

Smell is bright sugary apricots with a dash of alcohol and slight hint of sourness.

Taste is very enjoyable, not nearly as sweet as the nose, much funkier. A decent balance between apricots and and lactic sourness, although the sourness is starting to take over, which is fine by me! Save for a bit of spiciness and slight phenols, the base trippel is long gone, although I always found it to be too malty and underattenutated, and much prefer this version, which the bugs really help dry out. None of the musty/horsehair you find in some wild ales, just pure lactic sourness. In fact, the brewers told me they didn't add any brett at all, just their house lactobacillus culture.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick, moderate carbonation and a dry, puckering finish, that leaves the teeth coated with sugar.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, this is a suitable champange substitute that even my non-beer drinking wife has indulged me with a glass or two. The booze is a bit heavy in the belly though, with a bit of a solevent feel cutting through the sourness, which, coupled with the high price, limits me to one bottle at a time. Still, as they suggest on the bottle, I've had a lot of trouble holding onto these to age. I think this is probably my fourth bottle, great to share with my wino friends to show them how diverse the beer world can be! I thought this was my favorite of the 3 they've recently released, although the Kriek I had yesterday slightly edged it out score wise, mainly due to the lower ABV/sugar/body. I still really love this one! (2,082 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden colour with a tiny white head. Fair head retention.

Rich fruity apricot aroma with some great peachiness. Love the rounded character and the limited sourness.

Slightly sweet with just a touch of sourness. Nice fruity character and the apricot really comes through. Stunning.

Medium light body with moderate carbonation. Puckering.

A great beer. Solid fruit flavour. Love it despite it not necessarily being the perfect example of the style. (456 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

2009 bottling poured into a Reidel stemless red wine glass.

Great light brown appearance with a nice off white head.

fantastic apricot fruit smell with sour funk and richness

absolutely great tasting fantastic sour fruit flavor lots of apricot without adding an unnecessary sweetness. Nice funky flavors where you can definitely taste the lactic acid that this was fermented with, not quite as funky as something brewed with Brett though.

great mouthfeel rich and thick.

very easy to drink would pair very well with stone fruit deserts. (545 characters)

4.24/5  rDev 0%

Bottle from Rutager, 750ml into a tulip. 2010 bottling.

Murky orange with a billowing white head, that's transient and fades to a white ring with mild retention. Nose has some blond ale leanings with acetic character, sweeter oak and fruitiness - apricot is light but identifiable. A bit of Macintosh apple as well. Taste is acetic up front, vinegar, apricots over a sweeter blond ale character. More green/Macintosh apple, without any alcohol. Sweet/sour finish, medium carbonation and acetic pucker, which gives impression of a carbonation that's higher than it is. More apricot flavour here than Fou Foune I thought, but doesn't hold that same kind of funk that the Cantillon provides - superior in fruit flavour inmy mind though. A fantastic fruited sour. (760 characters)

4.24/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle.

Pours a light hazy golden color with a small, lingering head.
Full fruitiness in the nose, accented by hoppiness and a definite tart smell.
Definite lambic flavor, but with obvious hoppiness and tart apricots. The aging is noticeable, with both a little oak and sour hints. Alcohol sneaks up on you; it is hardly noticeable.
Dances on the tongue with sharp acidity and a light, bubbly finish.
Definitely drinkable; sour, but not too sour. Another great aged ale from Cascade. (510 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a small white head on top with minimal lacing, but some nice white lacing down the glass.

S: Nice tart fruit, some apricot, pear, and a little apple. A little bit of wine and brett with a good bit of wood and oak coming through near the end.

T: Very balanced flavor profile with some apricot and plenty of oak. It has a great level or tartness with a nice pucker to it. There is a nice funk/barnyard presence.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation, great level of tartness.

O: Really enjoyed this beer, if it weren't so pricey I would grab a bunch of it. (599 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

With temperatures north of 90 degrees for the first time this year, I figured it was a good Sunday to crack this open.

2009 vintage. ABV is 9% for this batch. Poured from a 750mL bottle into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler.

Lightly cloudy gamboge liquid topped by a fist of rocky ivory merengue. Decent retention, especially for the style. Big sticky cavernous lacing rings the glass along with a viscous varnish of tears.

Apricots are notable at first, but "barnyard" aromatics come on strong right away. Lightly fermenting hay, green apples, wildflowers, horse sweat, limestone, a bit of yuzu rind...

Bright tart flavors: citrus, unripe apricot, buttermilk. The barrel aging adds a bit of body and smoothness - all in all, the taste reminds me at times of a superior pinot grigio.

Medium-light bodied, surprisingly creamy, and delicately astringent - with low but above average carbonation for the style.

Sophisticated and authentic tasting lambic with a lovely regional twist - wish I had a Fou Foune to compare it to, but I might pick up a half-case of these to age in the meantime. Another resounding success from Racoon Lodge.

Analysis aside, my overall opinion is mmm! (1,180 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Review from notes... Samples on 10/23/2010...

A - Two fingers worth of audibly fizzy slightly uneven eforvecent light khaki colored head that turns creamier as it settles and displays solid retention... A dense hazed light copper color with a distinctive honey hue... A bit of lacing clings to the glass...

S - Wonderful aroma can be noticed well away from the glass... The ripest of apricots... Peaches... Lemon coughdrops... Mandarin oranges... Faint candied sugars... A mild yeasty component...

T - Tart apricots and peaches... Mild vinegar... Notes of chardonay and champagne... Lemon... A touch of yeast... A bit salty... White grapes... Tanins... Shortbread cookies...

M - Puckering and saliva inducing from the get go... Crisp... Slightly fizzy... LIght to medium bodied... A delicate touch of creaminess... The finish is dry and mildy chalky with a continuing pucker factor...

D - An enjoyable and sophisticated sipper... Both challenging and intriguing to the senses... I seem to always want another sip before my glass even leaves my hand... (1,057 characters)

Bottle acquired through a trade. 2011 Project

This was my first Cascade brew.

Fairly cloudy, pours an orange-golden hue not far off from ripe apricots themselves. Nice white head that hangs around longer than I'd expect - a fat ring around the rim and more remain until I finish the glass. Smells a lot like a gueuze... vinegar, mustiness, oak, and fruit. Not much of an apricot scent, faded and more of a vague sour fruits.
Very sour upfront. Not just the initial shock, but a second tartness in the aftertaste that is very much apricots. Constantly reminded of lambic/gueuze, maybe being an older vintage attributed to this but I am loving it. As my glass warms and my mouth gets accustomed to the sourness, more oak and apricots show up along with a vinious flavor. Not overly dry and well carbonated, makes me thirsty for more without raking my tongue. I'd be interested to taste a fresher bottle but this 2011 is right up my alley - everything I want in a fruited sour is here. Fantastic beer and a wonderful introduction to Cascade. (1,040 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Huge thanks to MbpBugeye for sharing this bottle. This was a want for most of the year for me.

2009 bottling.

A - This beer has lots of nice vigorous carbonation. There was a very loud crack as the cork was dislodged. The beer has a bit of a ruddy appearance with a blood orange color. Hints of sunflower at the top of the glass where the liquid was a little more thinly distributed. Droopy, spotty lace.

I should point out that the first pour (into Seth's LA tulip) was quite stunning. Excellent clarity with a tall head that stuck around forever. However, I have to review the beer in my glass. Otherwise the appearance would be getting a 4.5 or 5 for the score.

S - Orange, lemon, brett, and sour white wine grapes are composing the nose on this one. Apricot is missing in any sort of significant, game-changing type of way. That said, this beer smelled awesome.

T - Tart, with some orange juice flavors, and apricot finally comes out to play. It is quite juicy and very easily distinguishable. Riesling grapes rise up midway through each sip, providing sweetness and another level of tartness. This is in my top 5 or 10 American Wilds to date.

M - Nice carbonation on this one. Medium bodied for a wild. A bit sticky.

O - An excellent beer. In short... another home run for Cascade. (1,293 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

750mL (2011 project) into a tulip. Pours a clear golden color w/ a 1-finger white head, lively carb.

Aroma is oak, tart funk, light fruit.

Taste is refreshingly sour, oaky. Apricots are subtle, adding a touch of fruity sweetness.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean w/ a dry finish.

Overall another tasty sour from Cascade. So drinkable and refreshing, I can't stop taking another sip. (382 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle split with no one since no one is around this evening.
8.5% abv

A: Poured into my night shift tulip a golden dark straw color with a one finger head, decent retention and good, ongoing, active carbonation. Much better head than I was expecting since most sours seem to miss the boat on this aspect. Several minutes later and the carbonation is still going. Great head, great legs, soapy lacing. What a great looking beer!

S: Very pleasant up front lactic acid aroma but not overwhelming. Very quickly the fruit shines through. Semi sweet, earth stone fruit nose. After several minutes I'm hard pressed to find anything but fruit and acid. Smell is very two-dimensional; not overly complex.

T: Oh that's damn good. I was expecting a lot more sour from this but it's very refreshing on this hot day before the summer solstice. Actually, this is the perfect beer to drink on the summer solstice. The lactic character is very present but almost plays a back seat to the apricots. Not too sweet, not too dry, very Goldilocks like thing going on here. This is definitely good, great even, but I wouldn't necessarily call it outstanding and it's far from perfect. I know that because of who this brewery is and how highly rated their beers are it's blasphemy to find holes in it but the taste is just missing something. It's very good but borderline lackluster. I guess the omnipresent apricots are really saving the overall taste score, even pushing it up a few notches because the lacking lactic acid is disappointing.

M: Mouth is really good on this one. Great carbonation overall, exceptional carbonation for the style, not too thin but not very heavy, again the Goldilocks effect here. Lots of balance. The what I could call 'subtle' lactic acid really enhances the mouth on this one too since it awakens the salivary glands just enough. I don't really think I could ask for anything different from the mouth.

O: Overall this is very solid. The perfect appearance and mouthfeel are going to garner a very high overall score but the smell will knock it down. I was expecting a little bit more out of this one. Cascade Blueberry is one of my most favorite brews and I think I had such high expectations for Apricot that it almost isn't fair to review it on my first time having it. During the early parts of this review I was sort of bashing it a bit because it didn't live up to the expectations but now that I've been drinking through more of it it is really growing on me. I'd definitely drink it again and will probably buy another one to try to have it in a less biased situation but I wouldn't see myself shelling out $30/bottle for it on a regular basis. In the end it misses the sourness I was expecting while wowing me with lots of fruit that isn't too sweet or dry. Great balance. Great beer. Kudos. (2,823 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Sliverx for sharing this bottle...

A: Pours a light cloudy yellow with orange hues. There is only a thin pure white head that fades very quickly. All that remains if a tiny ring of bubbles along the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is tart and biting, with big sour notes. I get vinegar, mild apricot, and that oh so familiar Cascade scent.

T: It starts out crisp and apricot forward, but as it heads towards the middle of the beer, it tightens up and gets really sour. That Cascade yeast and vinegar flavor is unmistakable. The finish is sour and fruit. Delicious.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's bright and pucker from start to finish. It coats the palate and dries up in the back end.

O: Very nice beer. You know it's a Cascade sour, and you know it was brewed with apricots. Can you really ask for anything more? I'd love to get me hands on a few more bottles and drink this a few times a year. (912 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

2011 project. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark apricot color, excellent clarity, with a finger of nice looking foamy white head. Recedes quickly to a persistent ring.

S: Apricot, toasted oak, a little earthiness and sweetish malt.

T: Light apricot and stone fruit, a mild-to-moderate sourness, and some oak and light vanilla round out the taste.

M: Medium body and medium-high carbonation with a little bite.

O: Great beer with the perfect level of sourness, sweetness, and barrel characteristics to make this extremely drinkable. I thought the apricot would have faded by now (early 2013), but it's still there. Does well with food. (635 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

Sent to me courtesy of the always awesome Sideswipe... I'll be adding this beer to my wants list as soon as I'm done reviewing...

Served in my Captain Lawrence snifter. Shared with DSC at my house on a random Saturday afternoon.

I think this is miscategorized-- instead of fruit Lambic, let's just call this an American Wild Ale.

This is a gorgeous glowing orange with a solid 3 fingers of white froth. The bottle opened with a massive pop-- after 10 seconds, a froth began to emerge through the neck...

The smell has GIANT apricot notes, along with pears, lemons, and a lactic acidic bite. The beer has amazing fruit flavor. The beer nor after taste isn't overly sweet-- it is just perfect. The sourness is amazing, as is the genuine fruit flavor.

The body was slightly over carbonated-- but just barely... Otherwise, this beer drank like a dream. Tasty, intense, and highly enjoyable. This is one of the best fruit sours I've ever had. (authors note-- we have a huuuuge fruit sour tasting coming soon, so that statement may not hold up after March...) (1,058 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Super hazy golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. Fades normal.

S - Funky brett and other yeasts, tart apricots, oak, vanilla, farmhouse character, lactic acid.

T - Tart apricots and other citrus fruits, lots of funkiness and Brett, oak, vanilla, lactic acid, a touch of sourness, lemon zest.

M - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth with a tart and funky finish.

D - Great wild ale. The apricots are nice and tart and the overall beer well balanced. (476 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks for sharing this one, Arne. 750ml bottle into a couple of pint glasses. Straw-colored with good clarity, for the first pour at least, with a small 1 finger head that dissipated pretty quickly. Big fruity aroma with a touch of musty barrel beneath. There isn't much tripel character left in the aroma beyond the faintest hint of pale malt. Nicely balanced on the palate; not bracingly sour by any means. Light lemony tartness, just a hint of funk. Dry and grainy, big apricot flavor minus the sweetness. Little bit of cardboard-like oxidation in the finish. Great stuff; it lands somewhere between a standard fruit beer and a wild ale. (641 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter. 2012 vintage.

(A)- Pours a cloudy golden yellow/orange color. Some good white froth formed and really stuck around for awhile with a light layer even until the last sip.

(S)- Big juicy apricot tartness up front. Flows into some dry oaky bits with an ever so slight funkiness.

(T)- Some good puckered acidity up front. Dry oak and subtle underlying sweetness. It finishes nicely with dry yet sweet apricots. Quite the sourness level on this too.

(M)- A good carbonation level. The acidity and sourness are definitely up there, but the apricots at the end are icing on the cake.

(O)- Definitely a hefty sourness with subtle oaky fruits, but I dig it. (706 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

2008 Vintage. Though the bottle says something about it being good for aging, I've now had the 2007 and the 2008, and the fresher bottle is far superior to the aged bottle. The apricots were dull in the 2007 bottle and vibrant in the 2008 bottle.

The beer is light orange with a white head. The retention is good.

The aroma is sugary, with some lactic character. Fresh and ripe apricots dominate the nose. They smell pretty fantastic. The flavor is sugary ripe apricots with just a little tartness, tannins, and astringency. I don't know that I'd call this a sour; I think fruit beer is more accurate. For the high ABV, I tasted no alcohol.

The beer is light bodied and light on the tongue, with an enjoyable high level of carbonation. Though there is a little lactic character and a little tartness, I'd call this a fruit ale rather than a wild ale. If you open it thinking "wild" I think you'll be disappointed by how tame the beer is, but it's a quality fruit beer for sure. It's subtle and authentic, like all of Cascade's stuff. (1,036 characters)

Cascade Apricot Ale from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub