Cascade Apricot Ale - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: ccrida on 04-18-2008

This NW style sour blond ale was barrel aged for up to nine months, then aged on fresh apricot for an additional six months. Aromas of sweet apricot blossoms and tart fruit are present as you draw the glass near. Deep, rich apricot flesh, then tart apricot notes dance on the palate and lead to a sweet apricot flesh finish with a lingering fruit tartness.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cascade Apricot Ale Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked and caged bottle shared with some hoser 6/5/13 thanks Rutager for the bottle

A hazy golden orange with a few bubbles and a film for foam that leaves a few spots for lace

S big apricot nose with lots of wood and funk, a little vinegar and faint cheese, straight forward but great

T very similar to the nose but just toned down slightly, the intensity of the fruit just doesn’t quite match the nose but still tastes great

M light and sour but not puckering, turning my mouth inside out sort of thing, fairly dry and just a little grit left behind after the fact

O mellow on the sour and a very solid beer all around, worth looking for

Something I’d drink again but I know it’s not cheap, pretty stoked I have the blueberry version to look forward too

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle shared by Joe - thanks!

Pours a hazy orange-golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of tart medium fruits - apricots and pears. Also present are hints of light and indistinct malts and even lighter hints of spicy oak.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off before being overwhelmed by medium fruit flavors - apricots and pears as with the aroma. The tartness is toned down a bit from the aroma but is still fairly large. Midway through the sip the tartness fades just a bit as oak flavors work their way into things. The fruit flavors take back over before a crisp and moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall I was a pretty big fan of this beer - it's not my favorite from Cascade but for a middle-of-the-road beer from a brewery they're doing pretty well. Worth a shot.

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

This bottle is the 2009 vintage and pours a somewhat cloudied amber in color with a two finger and very effervescent head. The aromas are of very, very fresh apricots. It kind of smells like those candy Peach rings. It is very fruity and somewhat sweet. For the style it isn't on par but otherwise it does smell appealing. It tastes of tart dried apricots and peaches, almost like a poor man's geueze. There is a slight dryness but you do get a good amount of sweet and candied fruit. It drinks semi dry and light to medium in body. Overall this beer is just ok in my opinion. I appreciate that they made a beer with this fruit but it is just so fresh and fruity, even being the 2009 vintage. I would like a more tartness or a legitimate sourness and not so much gummy candies. If this beer was drier, and had some funk, it could be spectacular. Right now, it's just ok and not really of your $20+.

4.48/5  rDev +3%

750 ml bottle thanks to apocalypsezombie. Cheers Tom!

It pours a hazy orange..apricot colour with a huge head of billowy foam. The tip of the foam looked so inviting so I tongued it. Hehe...sour apricot. Who'd have thunk. Oh, and there's some good lacing left behind as the foam shrinks slowly.

The smell: fruity tartness, big, oakiness medium, vanilla, hints. I can't wait to take my first "official" sip.

Ahh...sour apricot is so delicious up front and in the finish. Just the right amount of oak and light vanilla notes rounding off this most excellent brew.

The second pour done and it's a more than hazy. The foam was also easier to deal with, about a finger's worth. The sourness never goes over the top so this, I think, would be a great beer to share with someone newish to the style. I also like how the abv is approachable; some slight warming but it doesn't hurt the drinkability at all.

I wish this came in smaller packages so I wouldn't have to finish it in one go. I'll be sad when it's gone.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation, excellent mouthfeel.

Clearly, another great offering from the gang at Cascade!

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.36/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml bottle, split

appearance: photogenic pour in hopleaf tulip - bright orange body, steady white cream head with full retention

smell: tart apricot, oak, spicy yeast

taste: really nice - tart apricot, peach, funky, white pepper, belgian yeast, tangerine, bright caramelized sugars.

mouthfeel: light and funky, creamy finish, tart

overall: great stuff

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

A: poured an ice tea brown with a thin head and good sticky lacing on the glass.

S: I'm getting more of a acetic aroma with very faint apricots and oak notes in the mix. I kinda get a little vinegar as well after a couple whiffs.

T: mild tart acetic apricot backbone with oak accents like the nose but not really to sweet to throw off the balance in the beer.

M: Meduim body beer with good bubbly carbonation that adds tingles to the flavor.

D: I always enjoy cascade beers and this one is no exception. Glad that I've been able to try this brew a couple times.

4.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.61/5  rDev -17%

I drank this from a 750ml bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a honey gold, apricot?, with nice carbonation. Light white, rises about three fingers and is gone right away.

The aroma is very strong tons of a sweet apricot. Its almost like honey, not a lot of tart here at all. The epitome of a fruit beer.

The taste is a little let down to me. I was expecting something that was a really nice sweet, instead its a weird carbonated juice. There is some light apricot and a hint of a sour finish, but otherwise disappointing.

A very light feel, easy to drink but kinda blah that wouldn't make me want to drink much.

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

750mL bottle poured into snifter - 2011 project

Hazy light golden pour, thinner crop of white head fades into a small collar of filmy retention.

Fruit forward in the nose, juicy apricots with lactic sour scents. Funky yeast, white wine, oak. Inviting, slightly warm - I can't wait to try this.

Boom - apricots, ripe fruit, biting sourness. Lactic, slightly acidic but not overboard. Tempered amount of oak, hints of wine and white grape skin. More juicy apricots and funky, bretty sourness. Finishes with lingering fruit tartness and slight alcohol warmth.

Medium body, decent carbonation, dry and lasting on the tongue. This might be my favorite wild ale from Cascade yet, next to Vlad.

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

2009 bottling per the label, courtesy of mrand01 from our in person trade yesterday.

Pours a nice deep golden honey color with a thick cream colored 2 inch head on top and plenty of tiny carbonation bubbles.

Aromas begin quite lactic and acidic with plenty of fruity smells; apricot obviously but it also almost smells like peaches. I've heard apricots smell and taste like peaches when added to a beer. The sourness is def also present like fresh green unripened apples with a hint of oak barrel.

The tastes begin with sweet apricot immediately met with sour acidity. The oak and fruit provide a fair amount of tannins which dry out the beer quite a bit; pretty sour but not overly so that becomes a sipper or you need a glass of water.

The carbonation is quite high on the mouthfeel and the beer is very dry, especially on the finish, which I like in this style. Less sweet and quite dry; the way a fruity Belgian Flanders should be. Crazy high drinkability for 9.0%ABV. Not that I am going to but I could pound this if I had to; carbonation might slow me down but just saying...

Overall this is my first Cascade sour and I couldn't be happier with it; also my first apricot sour. Very enjoyable but just like all sours I will only really crave/want them on these crazy hot summer days when normal heavy beer is just undrinkable. Do I have to drink this again, no, but would I, definitely. Blows all that crap Lindemans brews way out of the water.

4.22/5  rDev -3%

"Cascade Apricot Ale is based on our Temptor Triple Ale that has undergone over 8 months lactic fermentation and oak barrel aging. Ripe NW Apricots are fermented and with this beer for 3 additional months. This hand packaged and bottle conditioned ale will only get better with age...good luck waiting. Serve at 45-50 Degrees"

750 ml champagne bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, the Cascade Apricot Ale is a murky dark gold with a large off-white head that leaves moderate lace and some rocky foam. Served at celler temp.

Smell is bright sugary apricots with a dash of alcohol and slight hint of sourness.

Taste is very enjoyable, not nearly as sweet as the nose, much funkier. A decent balance between apricots and and lactic sourness, although the sourness is starting to take over, which is fine by me! Save for a bit of spiciness and slight phenols, the base trippel is long gone, although I always found it to be too malty and underattenutated, and much prefer this version, which the bugs really help dry out. None of the musty/horsehair you find in some wild ales, just pure lactic sourness. In fact, the brewers told me they didn't add any brett at all, just their house lactobacillus culture.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick, moderate carbonation and a dry, puckering finish, that leaves the teeth coated with sugar.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, this is a suitable champange substitute that even my non-beer drinking wife has indulged me with a glass or two. The booze is a bit heavy in the belly though, with a bit of a solevent feel cutting through the sourness, which, coupled with the high price, limits me to one bottle at a time. Still, as they suggest on the bottle, I've had a lot of trouble holding onto these to age. I think this is probably my fourth bottle, great to share with my wino friends to show them how diverse the beer world can be! I thought this was my favorite of the 3 they've recently released, although the Kriek I had yesterday slightly edged it out score wise, mainly due to the lower ABV/sugar/body. I still really love this one!

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

750 ml bottle - cork and cage - split into a New Belgium globe.
9.0% ABV, 2009 Bottling, Serve at 45°-50°F

Beerwolf77 constantly scratches my sour itch and nailed this big time want of mine so it's high-time I unveiled my massive "thank-you" to him: http://www.beerfm.com/2011/05/an-ace-of-base-ode-to-beerwolf/

A - Pretty clear, the golden apricot orange beer is loaded with strong carbonation. A tall pour lets loose a three-finger off-white head with great retention and lace despite the acidic level.

S - Minimal lactic acid comes through but tons of fruity apricot and funky barnyard wild yeast notes! Goaty, horse blanket, wet straw, fantastic fruit lambic aroma with an oaky finish.

T - The apricots don't come through as much as I had hoped but that definitely doesn't hinder my enjoyment of this awesome brew! Fruity, funky barnyard wild yeast blends perfectly.

M - Super sour and tart with great lactic tartness and a ball-twisting sour finish. Medium-bodied and highly carbonated

O - Fantastic. Not a hint of alcohol. Full acidic sourness and apricot fruitiness. This is a brilliant brew! Thanks Todd!

3.8/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottling (Philadelphia version), clocking in at 9%. Aged 8 months in barrels and on fruit for an additional 3, this batch is different than the 2008 one. Thank you for grabbing this, Peter. This is the first beer that I've had in 5 days, and after putting in about 40 hours at work over the weekend, I need a beer

Pouring a clear copper with a dense off-white head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a beautiful beer. Effervescence is high, and this Duvel glass really shows off this beer. The nose is excellent as well, with ripe, juicy apricots, showcased prominently. The apricot character is really outstanding, it is really ripe and bright with a noticeable fruit sweetness present. Moderately floral as well, there is a moderate lactic sourness behind the fruit with a little oak. There's also just a hint of wine present. The vinous aspect grows as the beer warms, with a rather leathery tannin quality being present.

The palate opens rather bracingly sharp. Either that, or the fact that I haven't had a beer in as long has compromised my tastebuds. However, there's no hiding behind the fact that the fermentation here could have used some additional bugs, the character is excellent, but comes across a little wanting. Definitely a lot more vinous on the palate, there's a rather noticeable tannin character with the grape skins really coming through. Apricots still do feature and prominently so, less fruity than the nose would suggest and a lot sourer. Towards the finish, I do get a rather noticeable alcohol character as well, with the tannins being harsher than I care for. That this was aged in wine barrels is rather obvious at this point. Medium-light in body with high carbonation, the finish is drying, vinous and tannic with a bit of alcohol heat. Drinking an entire 750 of a 9% beer solo when sleep-deprived is always ill-advised, but I've had beers that went down a LOT easier than this. Towards the end of my bottle, once some of the apricot intensity has wafted away, I get some of the dry, spicy, tripel base, and in conjunction with the lactic sourness and tannins, it's a rather peculiar beast.

For a soured tripel, I think the Vent D'Anges is a far superior beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Muchas gracias to Jeff for cracking this with me... I love Cascade sours and apricots, so the combination should be orgasmic. Pale amber and kind of "peachy" all-around; foggy and cloudy throughout the body with only a touch of visibility to the other side of the glass. A nimbus-like head forms and grows quickly, then recedes just as fast to a silky skin atop the apricot brew that lasts for over half the glass. No lacing, no legging.

A fantastic arrangement of fresh, farm-market apricots explode upon bringing my nose to the brew. The fruity elegance is broken up by a solidifying tartness; sour, juicy, and lactic. The sourness seems to grow with each and every successive whiff, as does the acidity. Not much in the way of actual vinegar, but some vinous-oak notes reside faintly in the background. It smells fruity, it smells tart. Now I can only hope it tastes that way, too.

Well, my hopes for a sour beer were certainly met! One sip and I'm already puckering and wincing from the onslaught of lactic and acetic acid. The fruit character is astoundingly tasty, gushing with ripe apricots, lemon-juice, and maybe a hint of white grapes. Cascade Apricot is definitely a bit vinous in flavor, as the oaky and wine-like notes buckle down and start hitting the palate hard. Dry oak, damp hay, must, and horsey-funk are strong in the finish, along with the apricot's kiss of death.

Unlike the nose, the flavor also shows heavy vinegar characteristics, as well as a substantial amount of acidity. The taste is amazing, but this shit will burn a hole in your stomach lining. Granted, I had consumed a few other sour beers before this one, but each sip of Cascade Apricot left a burning feeling in the pit of my gut; I'm sure I was pushing ulcer-like levels of acidity down there.

So juicy, refreshing, and tasty, despite the fierce acidity. I was at such a personal crossroads with myself - so goddamn tasty that I couldn't stop drinking it, but I knew I would pay for each and every sip. WORTH IT. Pretty thick and heavy-bodied for a wild ale, but most of Cascade's offerings seem to be a bit stronger and heavier than those of other brewers. Lively carbonation, slick, wet, and crisp mouth feel.

All around, this is really a fantastic beer. The flavors are great; fruity, juicy, quenching, tart, mildly funky, oaky - complex and refined. Really my only large complaint is the fact that your stomach might have an easier time handling battery acid than this stuff. Although I'm not ready to blame my entire abdominal agony on this beer since it wasn't the only sour of the night, you could definitely feel each sip as it went down. But there's no doubt that I'd gladly suffer for this one again, it's far too tasty to pass up.

4.14/5  rDev -4.8%

A - The cork blew off this one and hit the ceiling. Very hazy orange color, nice big head that disappeared really quickly and didn't leave a ton of lacing.

S - Wow, this is the most apricoty beer I have ever tasted. Smells like fresh, or maybe dry apricots, not the artificial stuff that a lot of these apricot beers smell like.

T - Apricot taste dominates. It's slightly sour, but there's a big apricot sweetness that takes over everything else. It's a very natural apricot taste that is nice and sweet and a great lambic take on the fruit itself.

M - Medium bodied, syrupy, nice carbonation.

D - Surprised this is over 8% abv. For that reason it is pretty drinkable, but the syrupy sweetness keeps it from getting super drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden colour with a tiny white head. Fair head retention.

Rich fruity apricot aroma with some great peachiness. Love the rounded character and the limited sourness.

Slightly sweet with just a touch of sourness. Nice fruity character and the apricot really comes through. Stunning.

Medium light body with moderate carbonation. Puckering.

A great beer. Solid fruit flavour. Love it despite it not necessarily being the perfect example of the style.

Cascade Apricot Ale from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub