2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cascade Bourbonic Plague - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Bourbonic PlagueCascade Bourbonic Plague

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Floydster on 07-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cascade Bourbonic Plague Alström Bros
Ratings: 334 | Reviews: 113 | Show All Ratings:
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.08/5  rDev -51.2%

750ml bottle thanks to drez77. This beer was a pretty good gusher but at least it didn't spray the ceiling? Dark brown and it has a good head. Smells very odd with the porter malt aroma conflicting with sour and just ouch..The flavor was a disaster to me, so many things in conflict: porter, sour, cinnamon, barrel, yuck! This is like Ron Burgundy drinking milk on a hot day: a bad choice. I love sour beers but this was just a let down. I drainpoured my glass :(

04-06-2011 04:18:04 | More by ArrogantB
craytonic

District of Columbia

2.6/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Shared with the dirty south crew

Appearance: Mruky red/brown pour, bit of gushing; big head. Cork did not want to come out.

Smell: Bit of a muddled mess; Sour with bourbon, brown sugar, cinnamon, and dark fruits. Too much roasted malt for a sour

Taste: Raisins, prunes, tons of cheap chardonnay-ish oak, messy and boozy

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, a bit too much carbonation

Drinkability: We didn't finish the bottle; not very impressive. I have really enjoyed many of Cascade's wild beers but this one was not one of them. Train wreck is a very apt description. Souring a porter of course didn't turn out well; if you told me they tried to make money off an accident I would believe it.

12-20-2010 01:30:15 | More by craytonic
womencantsail

2.73/5  rDev -35.9%

On-tap at Stone Sour Fest

A: The pour is a dark red/brown color with very minimal head on it.

S: The nose is full of butter, bourbon, and alcohol. A definite lactic tartness to this with some hints of dark fruits, but the alcohol and butter are very strong.

T: This has to be the booziest sour I've ever had. Way too much bourbon, making the flavor slightly solventy, some oak, and again: butter. Raisins, vinegar, lactic tartness, and even some sweetness.

M: The body is medium with a decent level of carbonation, a slight pucker inducing sourness and a lot of heat.

D: What is the big deal with this one? I'm guessing that previous barrels/bottles might have been better, but this one just missed the mark.

07-21-2010 02:56:17 | More by womencantsail
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Opens with a bit of a pop. Slowly gushes up.

Pours a large layer of light tan head. Very fluffy. Fades down rather quickly. A quick swirl brings back some head. Color is a dark brown, nearing black.

Aroma: Roasted malts and sourness right up front. Then I get the spices of cinnamon and vanilla. The cinnamon is spot on. I also get a touch of grahm cracker flavor. Has cherries and other dark dried fruits. Light chocolate and caramel hide behind the sour and tartness. Not too much oak showing. I get more wine notes than bourbon notes which hardly show.

Taste: My first reaction is: "How did this beer when a medal?" Fairly sour and funky. A medicinal flavor up front. I like the spices (vanilla and cinnamon) but the sourness distracts from everything good in this beer. It starts out with the wine barrels showing and dark dried fruits and then eventually transitions into the porter notes of chocolate, roast, and caramel with bourbon heatin' things up. This beer would be pretty good if it wasn't so soured.

Mouthfeel: Sour, fizzy, and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Ends with some funk and roasted malt.

Overall, I am just not that impressed with this beer. It could be great, but the sourness has already taken over this beer. I don't see this one getting better with time. A bit of a letdown as I had high hopes for this one. Cascade has been a bit of a disappointment on the last 2 wilds.

11-02-2010 22:48:57 | More by mothman
Thorpe429

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Served in a snifter.

Pours a somewhat-dark brown color with a bit of a crimson hue. Slight retention as well as a nice cap as it settles down. The nose brings forward a sourness as well as some funk and oak. Strong lactic character. A bit of bourbon. The flavor is quite strong with some bourbon, booze, and a bit of a sour character. The flavor and feel have a bit of a strange astringency plus quite a bit of booze. Very odd indeed. I did not like this nearly as much as the Vlad. Probably my least favorite Cascade beer to date.

12-20-2010 00:05:34 | More by Thorpe429
jrallen34

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Another big thanks to Sean for brining this pair...Pours a watery dark brown, semi clear, not overly attractive. Light tan head with some nice retention, spotty lacing...Aroma full of oak, spicy bourbon, acidic...Taste is lactic oak, almost reminds me of something infected, spice shows off predominantly too. The taste is less successful. A weird oaky finish that I don't like.

Decent, but nothing special at all.

12-29-2010 03:58:20 | More by jrallen34
Arbitrator

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

Chilled 750mL bottle into a glass. A generous gift from ramnuts. Thanks, Frank!

I simply could not budge this cork. I wound up using a corkscrew opener on it.

A: A slow gusher out of the bottle. It settles into the glass with a purple-brown (puce) body and tan head. Good retention and nice curtains of lace down the sides of the glass.

S: There's an immediate whiff of dates from the bottle as I remove the cork. Lactic sourness, oak, roast, bourbon, and brown sugar. This has the signature Cascade smell that I associate with their various Flanders Reds. It's also vaguely buttery, which is not totally upsetting next to the bourbon, but it's not something I enjoy.

T: Bourbon is very noticeable, as are sweeter contributions from brown sugar and caramel. I don't really taste the dates, even though I smelled them. There's plenty of grape (wine, I suppose). Vanilla, too. As the beer warmed, cinnamon emerged. The finish has lactic sourness with a mild tannic astringency. It's also boozy, though I guess I'd expect that from a 12% beer. That aside, the flavors are well integrated.

M: Boozy. It's not quite solventy, but it's a bit harsh. Carbonation is high and foamy. I wound up swirling a lot of it out just to get the beer to drink better. It was taking away from the flavor. I am impressed by how it starts off sour, becomes sweet and creamy, then finishes sour once more. Very interesting.

D: In 2009, I had the opportunity to sample a different version of this beer out of the barrels at the Raccoon Lodge. That was better than this one, but you get an idea of what they were aiming for. This is a very interesting beer and is worth a try.

12-10-2010 02:21:35 | More by Arbitrator
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Well since his cellar is apparently a black hole of all things sour and barrel aged. No surprise sweemzander busted this out during our night of the wilds. Poured into a tulip.

A: Rusty cola brown. Huge two fingers of beige head. Modest sticky lace. No cap.

S: Whoa! Hello bourbon. I pretty much only get a hint of play doh and maybe a tiny bit of sourness. This one is aptly named.

T: Thankfully the bourbon has decided to play nice with the other flavors. I can pick out some tart citrus, spices and sweet dark fruits. Plenty of bourbon though.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

D: Overall not my favorite of the evening. Maybe laying it down for a good while would help round thins out.

02-23-2011 02:38:04 | More by beerwolf77
TulipSnifter

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: This beer is dark with amber edges and it has no cap.
Smell: I smell a lot of alcohol.
Taste: strong alcohol, sour, hint of prune, complex.
Mouth feel: This is a very strong beer.
Drink ability: This beer is good to sip but I couldn't drink much of this beer.

10-24-2010 23:54:46 | More by TulipSnifter
FtownThrowDown

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to PWoods for sharing this.

Holy hell of a gusher batman! The pop from the cork was deafening! Left my ears ringing while beer was foaming out the top of the bottle and we were capturing what we could in our glasses.
Pours a murky brown in color with some reddish highlights. When I finally got settled down to drink this beer it had about a inch of head left on it.
Smell was a bit weird. There was sour, some bourbon, some dark fruit. All these were recognizable in the flavor as well, but there was a good bit of oak and some chocolate coming through. I would have never guessed the base beer was a porter. At least I have never seen a porter that looked like this. Decent mouthfeel. This was just an all around weird beer, couldn't quite get into it.

12-22-2010 16:14:39 | More by FtownThrowDown
ThreeWiseMen

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle given to me by my good friend Swimsum. Thanks Brent!

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Gentle pour nets at least three fingers of expansive, nougat-colored fluff. After a few minutes, that initial head has decayed to a creamy froth, which looks very inviting - similar to the cap on a latte. Walls of lace mark where the head once stood, and extend down the walls of the glass as the session progresses. The body is earthy brown with moderate translucence near the edges.

Smell: Dark cherries, blackberries, key lime pie, caramel, and peppery bourbon. Sweet, tart, and bourbon-y all at the same time. Somewhat confusing, certainly interesting - it seems to work.

Taste: Caramel, bourbon, and syrupy dark currants lead things off. Vanilla, lime-like tartness, and booze form the finish. This is the second time I've had this beer, and each time I thought the bourbon and wild aspects clash. My roommate agrees; there's just too much going on in here. Still pretty good, but I just don't think bourbon barrels and sours were meant to be.

Mouthfeel: Tart, boozy, and semi-sweet. Seems heavier in body than most sours, but also finishes drier. Highly carbonated at first, but my roommate and I drank it until it was nearly flat. More enjoyable with lower carbonation in my opinion. Taking a step back though, the clashing bourbon and sour aspects are what make this such a slow sipper. Great execution. Misguided intent.

Overall: I think I've already said enough about this one. It's interesting - worth a try if you can get your hands on some for a reasonable price - but not worth recreating in my opinion. This is an experiment, nothing more.

09-29-2011 06:43:54 | More by ThreeWiseMen
kbutler1

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle. From the most recent batch. Opened with a decent pop and then proceded to be a slow gusher over the sink. Pours a pretty dark brown with a fluffy slightly tan head of medium sized bubbles that settles rather slowly to form a nice coaster. Smells fairly sour/tart with notes of cherry, lemon zest, oak, earth, and slight acetone. Fairly sour fruit like cherry bite initially that transitions to mild acetone and then a long drawn out light roast bitterness with hints of vanilla and spice. Definite booze type ending, the bourbon is very evident. The carbonation level is fairly high and sort of assualts the tongue in a top too pleasing fashion. Overall, I really like the aroma but the taste has so much going on that I think it (or I) get a little lost with it. The alcohol notes at the end also are a surprise after such a sweet/tart/sour start.

11-02-2010 22:50:30 | More by kbutler1
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

This was a train wreck of different flavors that I am still wondering about. So much going on in these bottles that my palette was overwhelmed. Even the description leads you to believe that this could possibly be a bad idea."This blend of strong dark porters was aged in oak, wine and Bourbon barrels, then blended with a dark porter that had been brewed with vanilla beans and cinnamon. The blend was then aged an additional 14 months on dates."

Once opened it pours a murky brown color with dark ruby edges. It has the possibility of having a very crisp white head, but it soon leaves because of the amount of high carbonation. It doesn't look very appealing to be honest.

I might just have a predetermined opinion on dark beers smelling lactic sour because of my bad experiences while home brewing, but this threw me for a bit of a loop. The first thing I could smell was the sour lactic funk coming from this brew. Then I could smell strong wine and vinegar characters as well. There was a bit of whisky in there as well but the vinous, oak, and dark fruit smells were pretty strong. Little did I know that ALL of these smells were going to be tasted in the beer.

The palette is overwhelmed with complexities that this beer has. Immediately there are strong notes of lactic sourness followed by wine like tannic dryness. There are chocolate and dried plum flavors as well as an overpowering vinous tannic feel. This is a very complex and unique beer that I am not so sure I was ready for. I do feel like the beer was pulling you in different directions and I wasn't sure what I was seeking. Did I enjoy the darker malts and chocolate from the porter, did I like the sourness and wine combination? So many questions with very few answers.

It was sour, thick, fruity, and confusing. A beer that expanded the limits of my tongue and mind, but not sure if I am enjoying them yet. A beer that made me think about what is acceptable and what is not.

A recommended beer for the brave.
J

12-05-2010 06:29:04 | More by Jmoore50
Alieniloquium

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2011 project.

Appearance - Brown body. Nice khaki head. Thick collar and a few islands of foam.

Smell - Bourbon. Oak and vanilla in turn. Acetic, vinegary acididty. Fruity, too.

Taste - Sourness up front. Not as vinegary. A little roasty. Borders on soy saucy. Bourbon permeates the whole drink. Oak and vanilla. I don't get a ton of spice, though.

Mouthfeel - Heavy, syrupy, sweet, and sour. All at once. Medium carbonation.

Overall - I don't know how I feel about this. It's complex, as all Cascades are. It's abrasive, too, though. I keep going back for more, so I guess I like it.

03-29-2014 01:06:57 | More by Alieniloquium
rowingbrewer

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer pours a dark reddish brown color with a lot of carbonation and head. The smell is acetic slightly vinegary with hints of vanilla and dark fruits. The flavor is pretty similar to the Taste with the vanilla and cinnamon coming through fairly strong and the vinegar is lessened. The sour is not really sour just tart. This is the least sour beer I have ever had from cascade bit with so much going on it's understandable. Medium mouthfeel and overall a good brew

08-25-2011 11:48:50 | More by rowingbrewer
DavoleBomb

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into a tulip. Unfortunately a got a taste of this beer before I was ready. I had a about a 1/4 of the bottle gush out upon removing the cork. Into my mouth and down my throat went the beer in a fast and furious manner. Anyway, thanks to Khazadum on BA for this.

4.0 A: Opaque black color. Any of the the yeast that was in there got mixed in when it gushed. Two fingers of creamy tan head (once the carbonation came in control) with good retention and a good amount of lacing.

3.5 S: The wine comes through stronger than the bourbon. Usually I'm not a fan of the wine barrel aging, but this is good so far in the nose. Date aroma is there, but I'm not picking up much of the vanilla. Lactic acid is there in moderate amounts and acetic acid in smaller amounts. Woody with a mild tannic astringency. A bit of the toastiness of the underlying porter comes through.

4.0 T: The taste is both interesting and palate pleasing. Again the wine dominates the bourbon, but the bourbon comes through stronger the more the bottle is emptied. It's actually quite vinous for what it is. There isn't a lot of sourness in the taste, but there is some lactic and acetic acid with emphasis on the lactic. Again oak with a slight tannic flavor. Dates come through very strong with grape, plum, and prune fruitiness.

3.5 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit aggressive, but okay I guess. Good creaminess with a touch of astringency on finish.

4.0 D: Not too shabby for what seems like an unholy mix of grape and grain. I never expected a bourbon and wine barrel aged beer to surface, but it seem now that it can be done with a fair amount of success. This is a welcome departure from the more typical wilds and bourbon barrel beers and is something I'd like to see more of in the future.

01-04-2011 19:31:03 | More by DavoleBomb
cbarrett4

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from cask at Cascade Barrel House Portland:

Pours murky brown with very little head and almost no lace. Kind of ugly (though it did get pulled off cask... so...)

Interesting nose though a bit over the top. I really got the bourbon sweetness up front, kind of hot (alcohol) on the nose but a little caramelized sugar, prunes, and black currants in there. But the alcohol really detracts.

More of the same. Mostly stewed dark fruit and sweet cherry pie with smoke, toast, and sweet bourbon. It's got a slight sour twinge.

Again everything kind of tossed into weirdness with the oppressive alcohol. Out of balance, but a good texture and long finish.

I have had much better brews from these guys. I appreciate the style, and I know that this beer has some fans... but just because you can go bigger doesn't mean you have to. Also of note: I have had some Dogfish Head at 18% abv where the alcohol seemed more in tune.

Serving type: cask

08-29-2011 22:53:51 | More by cbarrett4
brystmar

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle from 2009.

Loud pop from the cork, mild gusher. Brown body, manila/tan head, super stubborn head and lace. Truly beautiful appearance. Tons bourbon in the nose, mild vanilla, more vanilla, traditional Cascade sour yeasty aroma.

Bourbon-forward on the palate. Dark fruits, mild spices, no vanilla, plenty of bourbon. Pretty tasty, but I'm not a bourbon guy at all. My bourbon-head buddies were gushing (pardon the pun) over this stuff while I merely enjoyed it. Pretty good, though I prefer even the "regular" Cascades (kriek, apricot) over this.

10-23-2012 02:06:23 | More by brystmar
gford217

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

750ml bottle.

Pours deep mahogany with no light showing through and a big bubbly beige head that recedes really slowly and leaves spotty lacing.

Aroma is excellent with chocolate covered cherries, brown sugar and a solid lactic tartness.  There is some bourbon and vanilla though they are not dominant.

The taste doesn't live up to aroma for me, starting with an earthy Fu mixed with bourbon.  The tart cherries aren't as prevalent though there is a bit of cocoa powder.  The finish is boozy with a little brett and a ton of oak.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and silky smooth.

The nose really had me hoping for more but the flavors don't quite come together for me.  Maybe it's the bourbon and oak but the taste is much heavier than I expected as well. Still a very good beer.

07-02-2011 00:49:45 | More by gford217
drabmuh

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Beer shared by Thorpe, thanks. I hate the description of this beer on the info page because it makes me feel like I have no palate, I didn't pick up half the things they claim are in this beer I just missed them totally apparently.

Beer is brown and hazy with an off white head that tries so hard but doesn't get it done. Oops.

The aroma is very lactic, mildly acetic, I can pick up some sweetness in there as well....I think the dominant non-sour flavor that comes through is the bourbon honestly. Odd.

The beer is light but very complex in the flavor. it has some maltiness up front, some bourbon, heat (almost solventy) and some fruits. I would say in the long run the lactic wins but the alcohol is a close second. The danger with a big beer like this is that there can be some secondary problems with the mixing of high alcohol with a lot of acids. Can come across as off. This beer walks that line and flirts with the bad side but comes out ahead...slightly.

12-19-2010 21:57:34 | More by drabmuh
TurdFurgison

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

I'm not sure who to thank, somebody brought this to a tasting at Jackie O's. The beer was dark brown with a reddish tint and a huge tan foam. The aromas of bourbon (duh) and soured wine, it smells tart and strong.

It tastes vinous and sour, with nicely integrated bourbon notes, actually really tasty. A little bit of everything currently hot in special release beers. It almost gets a little vinegar flavor at points, but still pretty solid tasting overall.

Light but adequate carbonation, this goes down more easily than I thought it might. Very very good.

03-26-2011 14:35:32 | More by TurdFurgison
Metalmonk

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Sent by msubulldog25 in a recent trade, the text immediately intrigues, as does the great name: "Bourbonic Plague - Northwest Style Sour Ale - ale brewed with spices and aged in used oak wine and bourbon barrels on vanilla beans and cinnamon then fermented with dates." Additionally, the label says this is a "huge, spiced double porter...lactic fermented in select barrels for over 12 months and fed on a rich diet of dates."

Huh. You can just imagine dead beer traditionalists rolling in their graves. Its likely too much for some of the living as well.

I expected this bottled conditioned beer to gush, and it did. I was prepared but spent some time babysitting it until it chilled out, which included pouring a full glass then having to push more into a second glass until things settled down in there. So, what results is a huge head, rocky and stiff and tan, quite beautiful actually, like an airy ice cream. Liquid is a super murky dark brown, looks wonderful.

Aroma is a hugely vinous thing, more tart than sweet, more green than something this well aged was expected to smell like. I get some oak and date too, a little bit of the bourbon, though nothing of the vanilla or cinnamon comes to the nose.

To say this is a complex beer is not only stating the obvious, but also understating it. Nearly every sip brings a new view, a new impression, as my taste buds wrangle with this ridiculous monster. Its vinous aromatic qualities are also a prime feature of the taste. They're wrapped in a woody, earthy exterior, and the piquant flavor of alcohol-soaked dates comes through as well. The cinnamon and vanilla are no doubt that brighter spice character I'm tasting, although they've been totally transformed through barrel aging. Bourbonic Plague (what a great name) finishes tart and fruity sweet, with earthiness shining through to balance. Interesting that the bourbon is only a mere flash amongst many flavors. It's hard to brew with a bourbon barrel and not have that dominate, showing what a complex, challenging creature we're dealing with here, and what a good job they've done of incorporating everything evenly. The only Belgian characteristic here is the yeast, but it's a big one. Wild ales are derived from ancient Belgian traditions, and here the yeast puts that big Belgian stamp on an otherwise all-West Coast mutant. Thankfully, the roasty porter base comes through just enough, and that's good, as I find many sours to be good and sour, but they can also mask most if not all the base beer elements. Not this one. The alcohol? Oh, that? Hardly detectable, but maybe the flurry of impressions is just distracting. Still, very well hidden, I'd say, especially for 11.5%!

Not terribly dry, as some sours are, the tartness causes a palpable physical pucker in the mouth, although it's actually subtle and not an annoyance. Otherwise this has both smooth and crisp characteristics, texturally about as complex as the taste is.

While sours are not totally my thing, this one is clearly exerting its own unique personality in that realm, and what could have been an unholy mess has turned out very well. I'm going to savor this sucker the rest of the night. A definite slow drinker and one to cherish while there's still some in the glass.

03-09-2011 00:01:24 | More by Metalmonk
brew3crew

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Part of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and Co.

A-dark maroon in color with white whispy head
S-very sour smelling. Fruity
T-very sweet and sour tasting. Finishes very smooth
M-medium body with a nice clean finish
O-good brew but overshadowed by some today

03-19-2011 16:51:13 | More by brew3crew
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Buckeyeboy brought this one over a while back.. Thanks Jeremy!!

A "fizzer" when cracked... hazy dark brown.. yeast flecked head... good lacing.

Nose is big bourbon and dark cherry sour... cocoa.. a bit roasty and some background acetic notes... really though despite the sour, the bourbon abides.

nice fruit and a bit too much roastiness.. the lactic sour really comes out and helps balance the bourbon and vanilla... Alcohol is very minor, yet present.. the dark malts and the sour fruits with barrels never mesh and make for a real mash-up of a brew... ruby port made my notes... Not enough "sour" for the big-ass bourbon qualities... but what do I know?

Jeremy hooked it up.. thanks buddy.

3.5/4.5/4/4/3.5

01-09-2011 10:54:59 | More by JohnGalt1
zhanson88

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Big ups to Rbald42 for popping this one open.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with maroon highlights. About 1" of tan head forms, which has very nice head retention. Very nice looking wild.

Smells of dark fruits, general tartness and lacto sourness. Not a ton of barrel in the smell or sourness that is necessarily easy to pick apart.

Taste: Dark fruits and slight roast initially, followed by lacto sourness and tartness. Some wood and slight bourbon character shine through on the finish. Definitely easier to tell the elements apart on the palate than on the nose. Very nice.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Very creamy sour with ample carbonation. Maybe a touch heavy for the style but a nice feel nonetheless. Overall, a very unique sour that I would have again for sure. Not my favorite sour but nice.

07-11-2012 03:05:24 | More by zhanson88