Cascade Bourbonic Plague - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Bourbonic PlagueCascade Bourbonic Plague

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Floydster on 07-03-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cascade Bourbonic Plague Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Opened this up last night with the connoisseur of all things premium, rare, and barrel-aged: bardwashrind.

Pours porter brown with tan head. Smells and tastes pretty great to me: a light tartness blends well with the bourbon and toasted malt notes, vanilla, cinnamon, and dates. I was worried that the cinnamon might be overkill, as I am not a big fan of it, but it is restrained and doesn't overwhelm the other flavor components. I imagine this beer may be a bit polarizing much in the same way that Old Dipsea with Brett is. If you're put off by the unusual combo of a darker, more traditionally malty style like porter or barleywine being coupled with sour qualities, then this may not be for you. But I think it's quite good.

Body is medium with lots of carbonation. I had a couple glasses of this and probably could put away a whole bottle on my own if called upon to do so.

waltonc, Dec 05, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

This was a train wreck of different flavors that I am still wondering about. So much going on in these bottles that my palette was overwhelmed. Even the description leads you to believe that this could possibly be a bad idea."This blend of strong dark porters was aged in oak, wine and Bourbon barrels, then blended with a dark porter that had been brewed with vanilla beans and cinnamon. The blend was then aged an additional 14 months on dates."

Once opened it pours a murky brown color with dark ruby edges. It has the possibility of having a very crisp white head, but it soon leaves because of the amount of high carbonation. It doesn't look very appealing to be honest.

I might just have a predetermined opinion on dark beers smelling lactic sour because of my bad experiences while home brewing, but this threw me for a bit of a loop. The first thing I could smell was the sour lactic funk coming from this brew. Then I could smell strong wine and vinegar characters as well. There was a bit of whisky in there as well but the vinous, oak, and dark fruit smells were pretty strong. Little did I know that ALL of these smells were going to be tasted in the beer.

The palette is overwhelmed with complexities that this beer has. Immediately there are strong notes of lactic sourness followed by wine like tannic dryness. There are chocolate and dried plum flavors as well as an overpowering vinous tannic feel. This is a very complex and unique beer that I am not so sure I was ready for. I do feel like the beer was pulling you in different directions and I wasn't sure what I was seeking. Did I enjoy the darker malts and chocolate from the porter, did I like the sourness and wine combination? So many questions with very few answers.

It was sour, thick, fruity, and confusing. A beer that expanded the limits of my tongue and mind, but not sure if I am enjoying them yet. A beer that made me think about what is acceptable and what is not.

A recommended beer for the brave.
J

Jmoore50, Dec 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4%

750ml bottle broken out by jedwards. Pours a murky, reddish-brown with a half-inch, loose, cream-colored head that dissipates into a solid skim. Nose reveals citrus, dark malts and a trace of bourbon. Taste consistent with nose; however, more of a malty backbone than suggested by the nose. I also get a hint of dates in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium, with a lively effervescence to the body. I am typically more inclined to light sours; however, I was pleasantly surprised by the drinkability, as well as the pleasant character imparted by the bourbon. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden, despite the 11.50% abv. It would definitely be interesting to see how this one ages.

Jwale73, Nov 29, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

My first review (which I feel is definitely long-overdue). Here it goes...

On tap at the Cascade Barrel House, during the bottle release of Bourbonic/Vlad; from notes (10/16/10).

Pour: Served in a small chalice; deep brown in color, with just a little bit of light penetrating through it; a tiny off-white head tops this brew off..

Nose: The aroma is of medium strength, and consisting of sweet cinnamon, oak, dark sugars, dark fruit, and vinous notes; mildly lactic; smells pretty good..

Taste: A delicious blend of sweet and tart dark fruit, overlapping lightly roasted malts, and smoothed out by vanilla and oak; bourbon, vinous flavors, and cinnamon really come out in the warming finish; awesome..

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium bodied, with medium carbonation; a perfect match to the flavor profile (I think a fuller body would be overkill)..

Drinkability: Drinks well, considering the high ABV; however, I'd be lying if I said the alcohol didn't detract from this aspect a bit..

Overall, a solid brew that very much stood out to me (which is the reason I wanted to make it my first review). I look forward to having this again...

muchloveforhops3, Nov 24, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

12.1% ABV bottle

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. The body of the beer is dark brown with a reddish tint. A thin off-white head covers the top, leaving some light lacing on the glass.

Lactic acid, vinegar and alcohol dominate the nose. Figs, prunes and cherries mingle in the background. Some oak notes, a bit of bourbon, but more weighted towards the wine barrels with the vinous qualities coming through more. An interesting aroma, but the high ABV lowers the enjoyment.

This is an intense beer. Lots of lactic sourness mixes with a rich chocolaty porter and vanilla. A touch of cinnamon and well developed wine barrels, which add fruitier, tannic, grape notes. Some light bourbon, but masked quite a bit by the wine barrels.

Mouthfeel has lots of crisp lactic sourness and warming alcohol. A fairly substantial body with good carbonation. A heavier American wild body than usual.

This was fun beer to drink. Definitely a heavy hitter and best split with 2-3 other people. Good sourness and nice barrel complexity. Probably the best soured porter I've had. However, I would have liked to have seen a bit more bourbon in this one. We actually had some BA Sexual Chocolate at the same tasting and we did a mix towards the end that brought out the bourbon a bit more and, in my opinion, took this beer up a notch. Either way though, I would recommend trying this if you like stronger wilds.

sisuspeed, Nov 21, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

I have gford217 to thank for this one.

This is a perfect example of cutting edge creativity. Using barrel aging, wild fermentation, spicing, blending and aging in all new and interesting ways. Luckily these risks worked out, and as such, this beer knocked it out of the park.

A- This beer is quite heady. It sports a loose khaki head comprised of loosely packed, coarse bubbles. Lacing is heavy, droopy and sporadic. The beer is a deep fig color. Like a porter with hints of purple and umber.

S- A bizarre, but wonderful blend of wine elements from wine barrels and dates, smooth elements from bourbon barrels, oak, porter and vanilla and spice from cinnamon and some booze. Its all tied together with a lactic sourness. Some funk and minor acidity is picked up as well.

After reading the description I just wrote I think many people wont believe me that it needs to be scored a 4.5, but yes. Some how all of these opposites meld rather than clash.

T- Wow, I was a bit skeptical on this one. I figured lots of the scores were swayed by rarity and hype. Not so. Let this one warm gently in a tulip and it backs up all of the talk. A wonderfully smooth creaminess. Vanilla, oak, bourbon with a tiny smidgen of roast. Nice wine-like elements of cherry, dates/figs and red wine acidity. Sourness isnt massive but this is totally a sour beer. Its a very manageable, lactic/cheesey type of sour. The cinnamon is much more perceivable than I had though, and in this case it works very, very well. It provides another layer of complexity in the form of a sweet spice element. Being that a portion of this beer was aged in bourbon barrels and wine barrels alcohol is big as compared to other sours. Its nothing obtrusive, but it hides in back and turns this beer up to 11.

M- Mouthfeel, the 4th category of scoring on BA and the 4th category that this beer breaks free of. This is a full bodied beer, especially in the world of sours. It really helps to accentuate that creamy smoothness that makes the vanilla flavors so great. It helps build a long, incredibly smooth finish. Carbonation, while creating a billowy head, is light and fluffy. Sourness induces a moderate level of pucker and alcohol provides a bit of heat that is paired nicely with the inherent heat of cinnamon. Despite this the alcohol is quite well hidden, and many beers with bourbon aging have much stronger levels of booze. My bottle says that its 12.1%, if one were to hazard a guess it would be damn shy of that mark.

D- While this beer may hide its ABV quite well and drink very smoothly and offer a myriad of interesting new juxtapositions, it is best savored. As I mentioned, take your time on this one, give it time to open up and warm slightly. If your experience is like mine you will find this beer's "eureka sip", and it will all click. Besides, it should take you a while to nail down all of this beer's complexities.

This beer is fantastic. I havent had a beer take my expectations and body slam them the way this beer did. After sipping on this for a while with my girlfriend, we both made the assessment that this might not be a beer for everyone. It is certainly not a beer for beginners at all.

MbpBugeye, Nov 20, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4%

750ml bottle shared with friends.

A - Pours brown/muddy color, light chocolate head, thin cap and spotty lacing.

S - Lots of oak, dark fruit tart/sweetness, some bourbon, cabernet-esk wine notes, grapes. Reminds of of Cuvee de Tomme or something of the like.

T - Lactic acid, lots of oak, smooth alcohol character, some tartness on the end. Pretty "big" and not near as easy to drink as Vlad.

M - Medium, smooth, very "big", dry finish.

D - I liked this one, but preferred Vlad head to head (I know they're very different). If I had to choose a similar beer, I think Cuvee de Tomme is the better choice for a dark sour. Still good though.

Sean9689, Nov 17, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A: its a gusher! Pours out dark brown with a big bubbly head. After a while it dwindles down to just a thin ring but with big globe of lacing

S: its wreaks of sour goodness. At the same time it smells malty sweet with a bourbon oak vanilla and cinnamon background. Mouth is watering

T: huge amounts of flavor. Its a real nice sweet sour combo. The sides of ny tongue pick up big spice cake flavor. Dark sweet fruits with lots of cinnamon really just imagine spice cake. Then sourness explodes with a refreshing tart. Bourbon style heat comes through in my breathe which just adds to the complexity and flavor.

M: has a nice tingle of carbonation but doesn't blow up like when opened. My mouth gets the dry tart pucker but isn't over the top.

D: I could sip on this for quite a while. The alcohol heat is just right for me being a bourbon fan and the spice cake flavor is making my tongue do backflips with twists and turns. Perfect with a fall meal

chefmikeanderson, Nov 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks Sean for sharing this. Served in a Lost Abbey Rastal Teku. Watch out as it's a slow gusher.

A - Pours with a big finger of light mocha foam that settles to a thick ring with some splotchy haze on top, and spotty lace. The body is a dark brown color with a hint of transparency at the fringes.

S - Spicy bourbon, acetic acid, plenty of oak, some notes of spice and cinnamon, and a faint sweet porter base. Not getting much overt date flavor - perhaps it's just a general sweetness. There's a faint whiff of alcohol in there, but it's not unreasonable at nearly 12%.

T - Lactic sourness, bourbon, spicy wood, sweet fruit character, and a hint of dates. Finishes quite sour and tannic. I actually like the taste a bit better, as the alcohol is better hidden.

M - Somewhat zesty, active carbonation, but thankfully not harsh either. Dry, tannic finish. Medium body, not much alcohol heat.

D - Very well hidden alcohol other than the nose. The spices are a bit too heavy for large quantities. I think I like Vlad a little better but this was still quite enjoyable.

MasterSki, Nov 16, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

750 into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Dark brown, practically black body with an inch of frothy light-brown head. Decent retention and great lacing. Excellent.

S: My first impression is straight sour funk, followed quickly by a luscious mixture of bourbon, chocolate, and some tart cherries. Light vanilla follows things up, and then even more sourness. Incredibly complex, balanced, and appealing.

T: The focus here is much more on the acidity, with straight bourbon following up powerfully. Very tasty, but a little boozy and unbalanced (especially compared to the aroma).

M: Creamy medium body with a hearty dose of lively carbonation. Enjoyable, but not quite substantial enough to stand up to the beer's intensity.

D: Big, intense, and crazy. The sweetness and sourness balance nicely, but it's still just huge and, consequently, a little tough to drink.

Notes: Huge thanks to Warren for sharing this bottle. I was skeptical about the feasibility of a sour with such a focus on bourbon, but this worked out beautifully. Cascade has really hit the mark with this one. Now to get a taste of Vlad...

Cheers!

woosterbill, Nov 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +3%

Finally opened one.
Opens with some force and a continuous steady tream of bubbly liquid pours for about ten seconds. Have a glass ready.
A: Deep brown in the glass with strong carbonation forming a light brown/tan head that prodigiously holds shape, eventually sinking to strands of fine bubbles predominantly around the rim.
S: Definite tartness as the dominant characteristic. Some woodsy and toasted aromas, some bourbon notes apparent.
T: Tart fruit immediatly on entry, with barrel and richer wood notes showing up on the mid palate along with some charred fruit, and finishing with a bourbony blast. Evolves beautifully across the palate.
M: A bit tart, of course, but not overwhelmingly or detractingly so. Balanced out with richer notes and surprisingly thick mouthfeel which helps balance the strong efervescence.
D: Very good and I certainly could have drank the entire (750ml) bottle and not been fatigued. Obviously this one packs a punch, but you really dont get a sense of the abv, camouflaged perhaps in the bourbon character. Sessionable? No, but definitly drinkable and not fatiguing.
Excellent beer. Truly unique and muti-dimensional.

oregone, Nov 03, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Cascade Tasting (12-11-2009):

***This bottle was from a batch bottled for entry into the 2009 Great American Beer Fest, the batch that won Gold that year, with notable differences being the strong tobacco and leather notes. Overall it was quite a different beer than the large bottling in 2010***

Description: The Bourbonic Plague is based on 24 P Porter that is spiced and fermented with a Belgian yeast. A part is aged in Bourbon barrels and at times, with more spice and a portion that is aged in wine barrels and fed a lush diet of Dates.

Bourbonic Plague, the highlight of our Cascade tasting on 12/11/2009, was brought by jshufelt. I'd been desperately wanting to revisit this since it won gold at GABF 2009 in the Wood and Barrel-Aged Sour Beer category. Thanks Jonathan! This was a slow gusher, and foam began creeping out of the top when we popped the cork. Luckily, we had glassware at the ready so we didn't lose a drop. The beer pours obscured dark brown with a two finger light brown head.

The nose opens up toasted and lightly roasted, with notes of tobacco and leather. Chocolate is subtle, and dark cherries and dates are evident. Other notes are of oak, light tannins, and a well integrated bourbon character. The nose is also reminiscent of ripe red grapes with a touch of spice. In addition to these complexities, there is an overarching moderate lactic sourness. When allowed to adequately warm, Bourbonic Plague entranced me. I finished half my glass and set it aside to sip throughout the night. You'd think my forbearance would yield extended stress free enjoyment of this elixir, but jshufelt sought to despoil me at every turn! I was eventually forced to hide my glass from him.

The flavor is light milk chocolate with lactic dark cherries, dates, smoke, tobacco, and lightly roasted malt. The mouthfeel is somewhat dry, and oak is evident. There's a dash of spice midpalate. The finish shows an increased sourness with dark cherry flesh and skin, and lingering notes of smoke and chocolate. I see that I've written "Interesting...interesting...interesting" here in my notes. That's not at all inaccurate. Bourbon is at a moderate level and alcohol is nearly undetectable.

Cascade is well deserving of their Gold medal. This is high quality stuff, and unlike anything else I've come across. Seek this out.

HopHead84, Nov 03, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle. From the most recent batch. Opened with a decent pop and then proceded to be a slow gusher over the sink. Pours a pretty dark brown with a fluffy slightly tan head of medium sized bubbles that settles rather slowly to form a nice coaster. Smells fairly sour/tart with notes of cherry, lemon zest, oak, earth, and slight acetone. Fairly sour fruit like cherry bite initially that transitions to mild acetone and then a long drawn out light roast bitterness with hints of vanilla and spice. Definite booze type ending, the bourbon is very evident. The carbonation level is fairly high and sort of assualts the tongue in a top too pleasing fashion. Overall, I really like the aroma but the taste has so much going on that I think it (or I) get a little lost with it. The alcohol notes at the end also are a surprise after such a sweet/tart/sour start.

kbutler1, Nov 02, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -26.7%

Opens with a bit of a pop. Slowly gushes up.

Pours a large layer of light tan head. Very fluffy. Fades down rather quickly. A quick swirl brings back some head. Color is a dark brown, nearing black.

Aroma: Roasted malts and sourness right up front. Then I get the spices of cinnamon and vanilla. The cinnamon is spot on. I also get a touch of grahm cracker flavor. Has cherries and other dark dried fruits. Light chocolate and caramel hide behind the sour and tartness. Not too much oak showing. I get more wine notes than bourbon notes which hardly show.

Taste: My first reaction is: "How did this beer when a medal?" Fairly sour and funky. A medicinal flavor up front. I like the spices (vanilla and cinnamon) but the sourness distracts from everything good in this beer. It starts out with the wine barrels showing and dark dried fruits and then eventually transitions into the porter notes of chocolate, roast, and caramel with bourbon heatin' things up. This beer would be pretty good if it wasn't so soured.

Mouthfeel: Sour, fizzy, and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Ends with some funk and roasted malt.

Overall, I am just not that impressed with this beer. It could be great, but the sourness has already taken over this beer. I don't see this one getting better with time. A bit of a letdown as I had high hopes for this one. Cascade has been a bit of a disappointment on the last 2 wilds.

mothman, Nov 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

As others have reported, this is a bit of a gusher, even when served (fairly) coldly.

Opened on 10.31.2010.

Pours a dark lava, ashen brown, and the mocha head settles into a third finger of lace-giving froth.

Curious, inviting nose. There's brown sugar and caramel sweetness, but it's overtaken by the wine barrel, dark fruit character, and some unidentifiable spiciness. Quite vinous; some lactic character as well.

Lactic acidity sits on the tip of the tongue. The base is sweet porter with a good bit of dark prunus fruit character (plum), but some spiciness comes in mid-palate. The oak is smooth and not overpowering, and I also get some vanilla as this warms. Grape-like, vinous finish. I still don't get much bourbon out of it, but the wine barrels lend themselves nicely here.

Medium-bodied, and surprisingly full and carbonated in the mouth. It's unsurprisingly warming, though not hot.

Aside from being a great beer, this one would be a nice transition beer for the heavy porter/RIS guy who avoids sour, as the lactic notes cut through, but don't overwhelm, the base beers.

If I had a more interesting word to say interesting, I would use it; unusual and winning.

Verecund, Oct 31, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

750ml caged and corked bottle shipped from the brewery. For the record, the exorbant shipping fees have NO effect on my score.

A- Pours a dark brown with ruby/amber highlights. Head dies down after initial pour, but hangs around.
S- Interesting. I get some of the wine barrels, not much bourbon, lactic tartness and fruits/spices. It works.
T- Taste picks up right from the aroma. I don't get "porter" from this, more of a brown ale with lactic sourness to it. Plus the wine and dark fruits. Again, not much bourbon, more wine/port qualities to it.
M- Medium to full body with a good amount of carbonation. Not too heavy or sweet.
D- High. Very complex, lots of flavors going on, and just like the Vlad the ABV is very well masked. If I wasn't splitting the bottle amongst friends I could have enjoyed the whole bottle over the course of an hour or so.

Overall - Had this side-by-side with Vlad, and it's almost a dead heat for me. It's almost like a spiced and fruited Flanders aged in a wine barrel. Complex, flavorful, and recommended.

mrandypandy, Oct 30, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Again, a huge THANKS to hopsbreath for this one!

I could tell as I wrestled with the cork there was a lot of pressure behind this one. Glass ready, I popped the cork. An initial gush of foam erupted from the bottle but not much was lost. The beer pours a dark brown with nice ruby highlights. A large, two or three finger head quickly rises and falls leaving ample carbonation bubbles bursting about at the surface.

The smell is initially of dark ripe fruits, sour, spicy, earthy with a finale of booze - bourbon-esque with a hint of sweet vanilla and caramelized sugars. There are definitely some obscure smells that I simply can't put my nose on. It is quite unique indeed.

I am no expert on bourbon but I do enjoy it and this beer is reminiscent of it in many ways. This is not to be confused with a harsh boozy characteristic. There is a forward bourbon flavor on the front with a strong spice and ripe, earthy fruit characteristics. It is sour, of course, but is subtle in the way is presents itself. The back end is significantly malty with a strong presence of cinnamon. The porter characteristics seem to be lost with all the different flavors going on in this beer, but it doesn't hurt it overall in my opinion.

Medium bodied, the high level of carbonation makes this beer less viscous and certainly more enjoyable. The alcohol, present only in my flushed cheeks, is handled very well. There is no harsh booziness that many big beers fail to conquer.

Wow. This beer is hands down amazing - and it only grows on you the more you have. One to sip, that is for certain, but incredibly enjoyable from first to last.

mjn5036, Oct 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4%

The most explosive gusher I've ever seen. I lost at least half the bottle, wow. Pours dark reddish brown, pretty opaque, with a medium beige head. Nose is oak, dark fruits like currants and plums, wine barrel. Reminds me a bit of Consecration, nicely refined and subtle. Mouth is rich and full, raisin-like, plums, a nice lightly tannic wine barrel. Lightly sour with an earthy, sweet finish. A bit of heat, but bourbon doesn't really come through, seems more like a red wine barrel was used, but it's subtle. The dark fruit sugars on the finish are a bit too sweet right now, that's the big knock I have on this. It has some great nuances and it may improve for a time in the bottle.

JAXSON, Oct 27, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

On tap at Cascade barrel house

A very dark, stout like, slight red color on the edges, very slight tanish white film of a head

S nice mix of spices, bourbon and sourness... kind of a strange combination, not sure what to think

T This is something different. tastes of a full bodied red wine, with some oak notes, vanilla and a splash of bourbon with some sourness to it. its somewhat port like with a hint of stout. very unique, yet delicious

M/D good carbonation, easy drinking. Very drinkable, but not sure I could take more than 1 or 2 at a time

Not sure what to say, one of the most unique beers I have had, absolutely delicious and confusing, is it a stout, a sour, a port? apparently it is all of the above and wonderful

digita7693, Oct 26, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: This beer is dark with amber edges and it has no cap.
Smell: I smell a lot of alcohol.
Taste: strong alcohol, sour, hint of prune, complex.
Mouth feel: This is a very strong beer.
Drink ability: This beer is good to sip but I couldn't drink much of this beer.

TulipSnifter, Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, Shane!

The bottle gushed a bit upon opening. In the glass it's a dark stained chestnut color; light penetrates the beer ever so slightly. A finger of head settles to a thin crust in time.

It smells unusual, but good. The wine and bourbon barrels are apparent, lending oak, dark fruit, caramel. Dates, vanilla and ambiguous spiciness are equally present. There's a mild lactic sourness on the nose, and a strong overall vinous character.

On the palate it's both malty and sour. The vinous character melds nicely with light lactic acidity up front, but malt takes over quickly thereafter. Dates, molasses, cherries, cola, vanilla and spice - there's a lot going on. The body is tannic and semi-dry, carbonation a bit fizzy at first but smoother as the beer sits. This is enjoyable, but I feel like it's trying to do too many things at once.

largadeer, Oct 24, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the barrel room today. Beers like this just leave you shaking your head in wonderment.

BP pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and lacing. The beer looks pretty nice, but it wasn't until I dipped my beak into the glass that I started to understand the mystique surrounding this beer. The nose is incredibly complex in this beer, showcasing dark fruit, light sour, dark chocolate, mocha and a hint of bourbon. This beer smells great, no doubt, but then I took my first sip. Mama mia is this yummy! On the palate, the bourbon is much more prevalent, and it marries well with the dark chocolate, wine flavor, dark fruits, vanilla and light sour. The combination of flavor in this delicious beer is amazing. Also, while there's some sweetness to this beer, it's balanced incredibly well by the dark fruits, wine flavor and light sour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a very long, very smooth finish. As I've come to expect with most Cascade beers, the alcohol is very well disguised, and always seems much less than it actually is. Based on what I experienced on the palate, I would have thought for all the world that this was a 7% or 8% beer, instead of the 12% listed on the menu. This gives one the foolish impression that they can drink a fair amount of this great beer, which really would not be a very good idea.

In any event, this is just delicious stuff, and is clearly a very special, well crafted beer. Yummm!!!!

John_M, Oct 11, 2010

On tap at the Barrel House -- served in a snifter.

A - deep, deep, deep red; vinous, like a pinot noir, save for the carbonation. No head to speak of and very thin, tan lacing around the edges.

S - bourbon dominates the nose, followed by vinous grapes (reminiscent of pinot noir), a port-like sweetness, figs, dates, wood, and hints of vanilla and spice.

T - potent, tannic red wine -- pinot noir or cabernet sauvingon. Bourbon makes its presence known, though never overwhelmingly so, followed by a hint of vanilla; the cinnamon is faintly present in the backend, along with other spices. The vanilla and cinnamon become more perceptible as the beer warms, transforming it from a dry red to a port.

M - fair amount of carbonation, which is good, as it would've been syrupy otherwise. Full-bodied.

D - considering its similarities to wine, it's incredibly drinkable. Quite possibly the most complex, most exquisite, best beer I've ever had. Perfection.

Elendinn, Sep 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

A. Poured into a snifter at the Barrel House. Great color for a sour. Super dark, almost like a cup of coffee. Redish hue to it as well. Looks great.

N. What a nose. I can't keep my face out of this one. Lots of dark fruit. Some cinnamin and vanilla in there. A small touch of alcohol, but pretty mild considering the abv. Some bourbon and oak can also be pulled from this as it warms.

T. Amazing on all fronts. Very aggressive beer. Really unique. Never thought I'd have a barrel aged sour porter. Lots of oak and vanilla in the taste. I can also pull out some strong dates in there as well. A little dark cherry and some alcohol finish round this one out. Amazing how the 12% abv is hidden though.

M. Pretty full for a sour. Good carbonation as well. Pretty warming on the mouth. Good stuff.

After one glass I can feel it. To be expected though. Goes down dangerously easy though. Can't wait for bottles of this one!

elliot23, Sep 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

This arrived to my wifes and my table at the Cascade Barrel House today right after Vlad. Poured into a mini snifter, this beer looks like medium bodied coffee with some deep ruby edges. A thin wispy snow white ring on the edges tells me that this is indeed carbonated. No lacing is present.

Again on the nose I'm getting lots of vanilla similar to Vlad. Dissimilar to Vlad, I'm picking up on prunes and dark chocolate. Sweet carrot cake with some dark liquor make this interesting.

Wow does this have some serious bourbon notes! Sweet cherry, bitter grape skin, and soured coffee role all over the palate here! The alcohol never goes away nor does it try to hide! I like it!

Mouthfeel is thinner than Vlad and more in line with how I like my sours to feel.

Drinkability is oh so good. Whole 750's are gonna disappear with ease when this comes out in bottles!

hopsbreath, Sep 25, 2010