Cascade Summer Gose - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Oregon, United States

Gose |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Arbitrator on 10-30-2009

"A traditional German, slightly sour, spiced summer wheat beer, this is our take on a twice lost and revived German beer style. It's light and golden with a slightly salty finish. "
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.64/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a translucent yellow with a light white head, spotty lace.

S: Sea air and lemonade, wonderful smell.

T: Lots of lemons, wheat, with some stone fruit mid-palate. Great salty finish that works with the acidity and creates great flavour and complexity.

M: Light-bodied, pleasantly moderate acidity, soft but crisp carbonation.

D: I really haven't had much of this style, but this is a fantastic brew. I don't know why more brewers don't brew Gose.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

I've got limited experience with this style, and most of that is from this brewery, keep that in mind while reading this review. Served in 16oz goblet. Poured a medium-dark yellow with a short white head that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma was a nice mild wheat scent, with some yeast and spice in the background. Yes, one of the spices was salt. The taste was crisp and sharp, with some yeastiness and a touch of salt.

The body was very good, crisp, clean and refreshing. Drinkability was very good, I've had several of these at a local pub and enjoyed all of them. Overall, a very nice beer, worth trying when you see it.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Not familiar with the Gose style, so I'm just going by the style description here.

Had on tap at Saraveza's in PDX and again at the Raccoon Lodge.

A: Poured a cloudy crimson-amber in the goblet, with a finger of off-white head. Retention is moderate; after about a minute, there is a light cap on the brew that deposits some trails of lacing down the glass. This seems kind of dark for the style, but like I said, I'm not an expert.

S: Tamarind. A salty-spice that initially reminds me of Tabasco sauce (I know...), but as it warms it resolves into sea salt, orange peel, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Light wheat (could be stronger).

T: Starts off sour, but I can't place the fruit -- it reminds me of tamarind and cherry with hints of lemon and orange rind. The end of the taste is salty, but not offensively so; it works with the sourness and gives the beer a surprising depth of flavor for something so light. Cinnamon and nutmeg in the finish. There are hints of wheat in there, but it's not too strong.

M: Light-bodied, moderate carbonation. It went down really easy. I expected the beer to build up on the palate, but the full pour went down really nicely.

D: I think this is really intended to be a summer beer; right now I'm in the mood for other things, but this is done well enough that I'd pick it up again in the right season.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last