Cascade Noyaux - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade NoyauxCascade Noyaux

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

This one-of-a-kind NW sour is a blend of Belgian strong blondes aged in white port barrels with raspberries, then blended with select barrels of strong blondes that were aged on the toasted meat from the apricot nut, or Noyeaux.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-22-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cascade Noyaux Alström Bros
ccrida

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

On draught at the barrel house, Noyeaux is a hazy dark peach with a small white head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is mostly on the sweet side, some raspberry, but with a nice little funkiness on the tail end.

Taste is great, a nicely balanced level of pucker really plays well with the robust raspberry flavor, with a nice wash of white port on the finish. This is super tasty, a really drastic improvement over when it first came out (1+ years IIRC). I'm surprised how much the raspberry has come out, with the port mellowing, and the overall complexity increasing drastically. I could personally stand a stronger pucker factor, but I like my sours to the extreme, and this is still a great beer. I'm not sure how much I'm getting for the extremely manually intensive toasted apricot nuts though.

Mouthfeel is on the slick side, lighter bodied, nice, fine carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty high, this is an amazing beer.

10-06-2010 00:28:21 | More by ccrida

05-22-2013 01:40:40 | More by jrallen34
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

Purchased online from the Brewery.

It's an orange coloured brew , cloudy, small head of foam that shrinks but doesn't go away totally. The little bit of foam still does leave some nice lacing behind and, oh, I see the beer's entry has the name spelled wrong. It's Noyaux. Update to be sent.

The smell, well, it's just heavenly. Big apricots, almost as big raspberries, the aroma you get from oak barrel aging...sourness supreme but I suspect, the taste won't be way over the top.

Apricot sourness, raspberry sourness, woody notes..man, this is one hell of an American Wild. Every new sip seems to kill the previous sip and this is one example(of many) of why certain brews *should* be bottled in the 750ml format. 8.94% abv? It doesn't drink that strong at all; this is dangerously drinkable.

Medium bodied, lightish to moderate carbonation(lightish on the front, moderate on the back end), the mouthfeel is just right for the style.

To sum things up, Noyaux may be the best Cascade brew I've had the pleasure of drinking and none that I've had came close to disappointing me. A BIG thumbs up to Cascade's brewing efforts!

11-11-2012 16:34:37 | More by Bitterbill

07-22-2013 12:26:43 | More by TheSevenDuffs
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.16/5  rDev -5.2%

Big thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one at a recent Random Sunday Tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, apricot, fruit, sour, and tart. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, apricot, tart, sour, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I honestly did not know what to expect going into this one as I had heard of it, but not really paid it any attention. However, what I found was really quite excellent. The apricot notes in this one were really nice and very refreshing. This made it quite drinkable despite the major tart aspect going on. A really nice surprise that showed up at the tasting that evening that I wouldn’t mind trying again or seeing how it develops with a little time in a proper cellar.

03-28-2013 11:21:49 | More by thagr81us
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.83/5  rDev -35.5%

On tap at the Barrel House yesterday.

Amber with a dense, white head with great retention and lacing. The nose is lactic and sour with a moderate acetic character. Plenty of berry character is present. Nice. The palate opens fatty, rancid, greasy with a blend of raspberries, cherries and blackberries. Mildly buttery, this is oily and greasy. Poor IMO.

12-03-2012 06:36:33 | More by DefenCorps
claspada

4.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a hazy, light burnt orange color with a small eggshell head that recedes quite rapidly to leave some minimal lacing.

Aromas begin quite lactic and fruity. There are plenty of stone fruits and some lesser raspberry. The lactic acidity emerges more as it warms with some mild funkiness.

The tastes begin with some semi sweet and fairly tart raspberry fruitness with more emerging peach/apricot lighter fleshed fruits. There is some oak and a decent amount of sour and lactic yeast driven flavors that emerge more as it warms.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to low carbonation. Finish is farily fruity and tart with a solid lactic presence.

Overall this was another very solid American Wild ale from Cascade but I think it may be a bit green right now. The lactic presence is pretty abrasive and may need some more time to mellow in the bottle for the flavors to develop. I feel these blonde based fruit beers are best at around 9 months in the bottle but maybe that is just me. I put these beers in a high regard so maybe I am alaways expecting too much after sampling all the best ones; not as spectacular as I was hoping for but still super solid.

01-07-2013 14:35:05 | More by claspada
bsuedekum

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

12-19-2012 02:48:23 | More by bsuedekum
Duff27

4.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Orange pink body with a quickly receeding white head.

Tart and tangy fruitiness on the nose. Raspberries more specifically.

Makes ya pucker, at least on the first few sips. Fruits pop out, peach and apricot perhaps, raspberry sour. I'd give this a 6.5 on the sour scale.

Medium biting carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

Really like this one, per usual with Cascade. Thanks a bunch 4DAloveofSTOUT!

11-22-2012 01:23:33 | More by Duff27
Gobzilla

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%

A: poured a dark burnt orange in color with slight reddish highlights and a thin bubbly head that left little wisps of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: plenty of raspberry fruit were noticeable upfront in the aroma with nice funky character, a bit of acidic notes in a good way, signs of apricot, mild vinous barrel coming through and hints of citrus.

T: the apricot fruit character was more apparent on the palate alongside great raspberry fruit flavor, oaky wood accents, good vinous barrel notes, a touch of vanilla, subtle apple and acidic tart qualities. Mmmmm

M: the brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a fruity, vinous, woody, acidic, mild sweet, slightly funky and tart finish.

O: exceptional beer all the way around and definitely glad I have more to crack open at my dispose. Geeahh!!

02-11-2013 09:28:44 | More by Gobzilla

enelson

04-28-2013 01:15:59 | More by enelson
rudzud

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed at Tree House Brewery, I think this was brought by the Stone rep... Reviewed from notes:

A - Poured in to my Tree House glass a clear berry juice hue with a thin white head that faded to leave light wisps.

S - Wow, okay. Nice raspberry here along with good barrel notes and some faint wood. Quite enticing.

T - Sour raspberries, wonderful wooden barrels. This is super, super tart! Very faint vanilla and vinous notes.

M - Crisp, tart, light, and sour. What more could one want?

O - Overall, this was an awesome beer. Super stoked I got to try it. Big fan of cascade beers and I love raspberry so I knew this would be solid. Wish I had another one!

02-28-2013 00:39:51 | More by rudzud

Bottle to Cascade snifter
750 ml c/c

2013 vintage

Thanks Jazz.

App- Out of the bottle I really wasn't sure what color this would be. I figured more pinkish orange for some reason. Was a little surprised by the solid orange with some yellow highlights. A very nice long lasting 1-1/2 finger head was there. For a sour BA beer a ton of cling. Quite beautiful.

Smell- When I brought this one up for a smell, I was a little let down. A bit one dimensions. Standard Cascade-sequel nose with some oak and yeast and sour. Small fruit aromas.

Taste- I was surprised at this one when first opening and letting sit. A first sip was more oak and vinegar and took some time for the fruits to come out. As it warmed a citrus flavor and tartness came in. More oak barrel shown through and lingered for a bit.

Mouth- Between the appearance and the feel of this beer it was only off on the flavor a little bit. The fluffy and creamy aspects of this made it a superb beer on the tongue. A big medium body with a lower carbonation made this drink really well.

Drink- It was a good beer. A tad $$$ for what it was. I am glad I got my hands on a bottle since I missed this one when I was at cascade last year.

07-25-2014 17:25:30 | More by FosterJM
maximum12

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

Big thanks to moose3285 for rectifying the fact that I've never had any Cascade before. This showed up in an epic trade as an extra...no, you stay away from moose. He's mine. 750ML bottle brought to a tasting with friends.

The bottle open up with a semi-sonic boom! as the cork comes out, almost under its own power. Pour is a nice blond color, hazy but not gritty. Nose has a lovely tartness, along with a bunch of light, summery fruit. That's what I like to get out of a sour up front.

Noyaux has to be one of my favorite sours. The blonde ale base is light & refreshing, & is complemented by what I believed to be a lovely peach flavor (I was later corrected - apricot - nice, whatever it is). Great oakiness mid-palate, & another darker, but quiet, fruit taste that I'm going to interpret as the port barrels &/or raspberries. Long, lingering tart finish that's bright & shiny. Another sour that I could have plenty of.

Well, this was just lovely. I'd be pleased to find this in my glass any day or night. Maybe this Cascade thing will grow on me. Excellent, excellent beer.

03-03-2013 14:40:45 | More by maximum12