Vintage Red | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by bsuedekum on 08-28-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
4.04/5  rDev n/a

I'm having this at the Cascade Barrel House in Portland OR. Poured out of what they refer to as a "live barrel". Here's the brewer's description:

This "live" barrel of NW sour from the Blenders Reserve is a 20-month-old red ale that was blended with a few highlight barrels to bring nuance flavors to the front. Sharp wine and dark cherry notes greet you in the nose. A dark cherry tartness and dark malts on the palate finish with a pronounced dark fruit richness and hints of spice on the tongue.

My review:

A - Murky Red-Brown Earth color with decent carbonation and a head that fades rather quick.

S - For lack of a better way to describe it, I'm going to say the nose is a gritty red wine. Definitely get the dark wine characteristics with a bit of cherry funk background that is inticing.

T - Red wine, cabernet, and port are the flavors I'm getting. A gorgeous, robust beer with a lot going on and a great balance. A slight oak background and a malty punch blended in there too.

M - Heavier than a typical sour and not quite as bright or crisp of a finish as some, but it has a great finish and a quality that makes this one an enjoyable sipper. That said, after each drink I'm anxious to have my next sip.

O - I'm finding myself and a fan of this one. It gets better with each drink and I'm very glad I had it. I'm not not sure if they'll make this a more common offering as opposed to a brewery only live barrel offering, but it's quite good.

Vintage Red from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.