Cherry Bourbonic Plague - Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

No picture uploaded.

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  12.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Mahlik on 12-14-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

On cask at the barrel house.

Murky, dirty brown-red body pours minimal head. Dark cherries and signature Cascade sour yeast greet my nose. Hints of chocolate, bourbon, other sour fruits, and plenty of deliciousness in the taste. Slightly medicinal. Good stuff, wish they'd bottle it.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Fresh from the live cask on Tuesday night.

The beer pours a dark blackish amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is quite exotic in this beer, as I pick up light mint, dark cherry pit, a hint of chocolate and some noticeable sour. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but is dominated by the sour component (sour lovers will be pleased with this one I think). Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and as is typical with Cascade Wild Ales, this beer drinks like a beer with half the alcohol. Mouthfeel otherwise is soft and full, with a long cherry sour finish.

A nice enough beer, but I guess I was hoping for something more along the lines of a cherry version of the regular bourbonic plague. However, this beer is considerably more sour than the bourbonic plague I sampled at the barrel room last year. Also, I picked up very little bourbon in this beer, which I think is a shame as well.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at the Barrle House.

A - Served a dark brown with reddish tint. Only a few tan large bubbles form on top and are gone very quickly.

S - Acidic and mostly cherry here. The sourness dominates the nose and it is hard to pick up much else.

T - Again the tart cherry dominates, but a nice bourbon finish takes over at the end.

D - Not overly sweet or sour. A pretty balanced beer.

O - I am glad to try this one. Nice balance, but a little heavy on the cherry. I wish more of the bourbon would come through.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

On-tap at Cascade Barrel House. Poured into snifter.

A - Pours a deep dark brown with a red tint. A HUGE thick creamy khaki head. I was really shocked by how thick and creamy it was. The head retention was outstanding. Thick lacing covered the sides of the glass.

S - A lactic sourness and tart cherries hit your nose as expected. Then the Thai cinnamon pushes its way through along with the bourbon notes. A subtle oakiness combine with dark fruits and spices to finish out the aroma. A faint hint of booze floated around in the background.

T - The lactic sourness hits first as expected but doesn't hang around too long. Oak, tobacco and dark fruits come out to help wrangle the sourness. The ever so slightest bit of vanilla could be detected. The Thai cinnamon really pops towards the end and leaves a spiciness on your tongue as it exits. The spiciness subsides quickly. The cherry tartness could be felt in the aftertaste.

M - As usual with Cascade beers, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. However, there is a slight warmth. Medium-full bodied with prickly carbonation. Rich and smooth with a normal dry finish.

O - Great beer by one of my favorite breweries. I love everything I've had at Cascade and this doesn't disappoint. I'm so glad I live a short 10 minute bus ride away. I needed that bus because after a couple of these, I was feeling the booze, even if I couldn't taste it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »