Stowaway I.P.A. - Baxter Brewing Co.

Stowaway I.P.A.Stowaway I.P.A.

Baxter Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Casey10 on 02-01-2011

Bold, complex flavors with a solid malt backbone and assertive hop profile, along with cold conditioning, give this beer its crisp, clean, hoppy finish. Deep amber-to-orangish in color, Stowaway pours with a nice, creamy head; a huge hop aroma of citrus, pine and grapefruit notes; and a big, complex, and intense hop flavor from the 5 different hop varieties and double-dry-hopping procedure used in making this beer. The malt flavor up-front turns dry and crisp; Stowaway is full-bodied but with a dry finish and pleasant, long-lasting, hop aftertaste. This I.P.A. definitely leaves you wanting more.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stowaway I.P.A. Alström Bros

Baxter makes some of of the best beer out there, not sure what it is about is Maine (ie: Peak Organic.Shipyard,Gearys)..may be the water,,this IPA is even better on draft and is my first choice these days when i can find it...if Baxter does it its done right..if they make a style you like ,you will love theirs

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

At the brewery tasted the fresh IPA in a 3 oz taster glass. First of all the aroma, S, is amazing. Wow is it inspired, pine and grapefruit and fresh sweet hops. Yum. A is a warm golden, orange hue which is a bit cloudy. Two finger head is wonderfully interlaced. T is just fab. Best beer I've had out here on the East Coast in a long time. Rich malt tones, almost toasted with a finishing bitterness that is sharp but smooth. Late hop additional shine here. M is great with a little bit of sickness as expected from a high gravity beer. she finished very dry. Yum. Overall, this is a world class brew. Not to miss, period. oh yeah, and it comes in a can!

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

This is my go-to beer in Maine...I was stoked to find it in Massachusetts!

A: Pours an amber color with a 1-2 finger head, lacing is decent down the glass.

S: A face-full of hops; citrus, pine, and a little bit of malty goodness.

T: Citrus and pine are very forward, the taste lingers for a while after you swallow. A bitter/sour aftertaste occur a few seconds after swallowing, but that just indicates that you need to pour a little more down your throat.

M: Points off for the aftertaste....that's all.

O: Overall, an incredible IPA...one that I plan on consuming gallons of.

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

On tap into a can-shaped Baxter Brewing Co. pint glass.

A: orange, opaque, white frothy head with excellent lacing and good retention.

S: can small the hops at arms length. Piny, earthy, very aromatic, fantastic nose.

T: citrusy hops up front, lots of aromatic orange zest, bittery hops.

M: crisp, medium bodied, overall good mouthfeel.

O: I see this beer all over the place and I'm a bit mad I've never had it before. Exceptional.

4.57/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've tried it on tap and out of a can. Both were similar experiences. It's a slightly malty and mostly bitter IPA. Didn't really get much of the citrus that others have noted. Good beer.

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap @ The Great Lost Bear in Portland, ME.

A: Golden-orange with a big, fluffy, white head that leaves behind a bunch of lacing but little retention.

S: Huuuuge fruity, piney hops. Resiny, floral. Awesome.

T: Hop-head's dreams but not overly bitter. Super smooth and balanced. Fruity and floral. Just delicious.

M: Perfect carbonation and balance. Great flavor. Insanely drinkable.

O: Huge fan of this beer. Completely surpassed my expectations. Can compete with most West Coast IPA's.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

6-pack cans bought in Damariscotta, ME at the Rising Tide Co-Op. A shout out for a great little craft beer section!

My favorite beer when in Maine. Many a 6-pack has been enjoyed on a college football afternoon. This is a VERY good IPA that remains very much under-the-radar (the exact opposite of the 'Heady Topper' phenomenon...), and there aren't many brewed in New England I know of that challenge it.

Head is modest and fleeting. Pours clear and slightly orange.
Hop aroma is more earthy, less citrusy.
Taste is clean, slightly bitter, but not overpoweringly so. IBUs clock in at 69.
No astringency or resiny aftertaste.
A very nice sample of the style, and a pleasurable beverage. This one should be a top beer on your list when in Maine.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a golden yellow with no head. Smell isn't overpowering. Not super floral. Taste is nice and smooth. Tastes more malty than anything. Could easily drink several without complaint. Not bitter at all.

Wife's review: "Pleasantly surprised. Smooth and tasty. Even the aftertaste is nice."

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

This is a winning example of a locally available IPA. It may very well become a regular in my IPA line-up due to the fact that it is readily available and represents the true qualities of an Indian Pale Ale. Baxter brewing Co seems to be hitting the notes, excited to see more from their brewery.

S- Floral,hops,conifer trees, citrus, mild sweet notes. A pleasurable distinct IPA smell that is winning.

T- A strong hops note coupled with citrus and sweet malt. You know you are drinking IPA and pleased to be doing so.

M- Smooth and dry

O- A very nice IPA that will surely please anyone who enjoys a quality IPA. A kickass Maine brew.

4.46/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I received a 6-pack as a gift from visiting friends, I had never heard of Baxter before and had no idea what to expect.

A- A nice reddish IPA, on the darker side. Big 2 inch head popped up, lacing hung on to the side of the glass. Nothing special about the appearance, except for the richness of color.

S- I want to go swimming in this beer. Every time I pass the glass under my nose, I want to cry and call my loved ones. Very enticing hops, some noticeable sweetness, and no shortness of herbal intrigue. A king among IPAs for the smell.

T- The taste is great, but it's a bit of a let down after the smell. It's forceful, as you might imagine from the style. There's some alcohol on the tongue, which other IPA's at 6.9% manage to hide a little better. Serious citrus with a focus on the grapefruit. Really fantastic variety of flavor, from hop to acid with some malt coming through on the after taste (albeit a bit grassy). The flavor really comes in waves throughout the sip, which I consider to be a favorable trait, though some might disagree.

M- Nice, some alcohol as I mentioned, and a bit syrupy as it warms, but definitely nothing sticky about this one.

O- Big winner in my book. I'd take this over most of the IPA's I have good access to with only a few exceptions. A nice summer IPA, as the citrus overpowers the spice. I'm excited to try more from Baxter.

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pirates + IPA in a can = I'm sold. What could be better? Pirate beer in a tallboy!

Amber with a marrow colored head. Lacey stowaways stuck like barnacles to my glass. Yar!

Smells like bright tropical fruit and pine. I'm torn between a good and very good rating. Wish I could rate it 4.25.

Thick and gooey sweet malt features some bready highlights and lays the backbone for sharp, vivacious tropical fruit and pine hops. So opposite the nonchalance of Baxter's Pamola APA that it's hard to believe it's the same brewery. A fine IPA.

Shared a couple cans with my dad while hiking Mt. Wachusett on Columbus day. It was a touching father son moment, made all the more special by canned pirate beer.

Update: The reason for the name is two-fold: you can "stowaway" a can of SIPA in your backpack/purse whatever, and the owner is just a big, big fan of pirates. Bravo sir, bravo.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

I've been eagerly awaiting this IPA. Very excited to try it, and hopeful that we'll have a West Coast style IPA regularly available in Maine! Poured from a very attractive can into a tulip glass. The orange tabs stand out. Very cool.

A - Frothy three finger head quickly settles to one finger, leaving a decent amount of lacing. Hazy amber color.

S - Lots of hops in the nose, as well as sweet malt. Agitated regularly

T - Grapefruit citrusy bitterness and toasted malt comes out quick. Little bit of lingering bitterness toward the back of my tongue.

M - Tight crisp carbonation, yet feels soft and pure.

D - Delicious and approachable. Very drinkable as the flavors don't linger long. You could easily polish off the six pack.

Excellent IPA. I was hoping for something even more aggressive but I'm excited to see what else Baxter will release next. Hoping for great success, and maybe an Imperial IPA soon!

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Cold out of the can this IPA is a hazy rusty amber color with a decent big bubbled off-white froth on top and very nice lacing. The aroma is a solid nutty pine & citrus hop which just makes your throat open up. Very enticing. The flavor brings beautifully drinkable earthy citrus and subtle pine hops. It's bready with caramel sweetness but the accent is tasteful, satisfying hops which coat the tongue from stem to stern. It's medium bodied with a slight resinous quality and plenty of fine carbonation to brighten things up. I love this as one of my new favorite sessionable hop beauties. This will be a staple for Baxter for years to come. Let's hope they bring many more great brews to beef up there new stable in Lewiston, Maine.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a hazy orange, near-amber. Nice, steady, thin head with decent lacing. Head replenishes with every sip.

Big blast of citrus hops with the crack of the can. One of the more potent, complex hop profiles I've experiences in an aroma. Mostly citrus, but some flowery, pollen-like aromas as it warms. A little depth from the malt as well. Top-notch.

Taste is really, really excellent. The solid, mild, slightly sweet malt base, with the citrusy, fairly dry hop profile make me think of a poor man's Red Racer IPA. The flavors are incredibly complimentary. This gets stickier as it warms, which is different and allows for some of the complexity of the hops to show. However, this is at it's best cold and crisp.

Mouthfeel is nice. Again, the malt profile is near-perfect, not too potent, not too thin, and makes for an easy drinker.

This brew shocked me, especially after the other somewhat benign offering from Baxter (Pale Ale). It was much more flavorful and complex than I was anticipating. I can't wait until it makes its way into MA...

4.39/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beer in a can, haven't tried that in quite a while.

A - Cloudy golden beer with minimal head and nice lacing.

S - Strong smell of Pacific NW Hops, maybe some Chinook?

T - One of my favorites is Arrogant Bastard, this is similar in hop flavor and aroma, but a true IPA malt backbone. The finish perfect for this style.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit thin.

Overall, highly recomended, if you are a hophead like me. Not for the faint at heart.

4.37/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Excited to try this new Maine brewery!

A - Medium orange with about a finger of thick white head. Pretty good looking beer.

S - Citrus is on the forefront of the scents here. Orange is what really stands out to me. Not a ton of pine in the nose, but the orangey hops really overwhelm.

T - Much like the smell, this is a very orange tasting beer. I love fruity IPAs (right now!) and this is a wonderful example. There's a nice finish to this, which isn't necessarily a malty finish, but it takes any bitterness off.

M - Herein lies my only issue. Though this is a wonderful beer, the mouthfeel is slightly watery. It lacks a certain creaminess that some fruity IPAs excel in.

Overall, an awesome beer from a cool new brewery. I like the canned aspect, and although I've heard less than wonderful things about their other beer, I'd love to see more stuff like this!

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

On tap @ RiRa, Portland ME.

A - Might be the prettiest beer I've ever seen. Brilliant goden orange. Fluffy, white head retained well. I'm reading that the canned product loses its head quickly, but the draft version kept half its head after 5 minutes.

S - Mild bready malt with big citrus hop aroma and some spice notes (fennel?)

T - Big but balanced. Sweetness on the tip of the tongue balanced by dry but not overpowering hops. Hops are piney, reminiscent of a west-coast IPA. Malts give way to a bittery finish. Delicious.

M - Very drinkable. Velvety feel with moderate carbonation. Could drink this all night but for the ABV.

O - Wish it was more widely available, it would be a go-to for me. Very well done.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into my 13 tulip glass, on 11/19/13. Pours a bright orange, with a sticky to inch off white, that coats the glass with lace. Smell is tangerine, pine, graipfruit, and mango. Taste follows the nose, but the grapefruit really stands out in a good way. Body medium, plenty of life, not overly dry, and goes easy. Wow this nice and man did they make the most of the 69 IBUs, really some excellent bitterness, but tropical also.

4.31/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This is my go-to IPA. Looks nice, smells nice, tastes like an IPA should. I don't get into specific flavors and mouth feel stuff, I just don't, but I like this IPA and I like beers in cans. Best price I have found in the area is Cigarette City in Seabrook, NH, under $9 for a 6'er.

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer might come in a can but is meant to be enjoyed in a glass. I think this is true for most IPAs, they need their space to reveal the bold hoppy aromas that they hide within.

After opening the can I waited for a few seconds for the carbonation to equilibrate and then had a smell and a taste. The smell of the beer is pleasant with strong citrus notes. The taste of this beer has an extra hoppy character but not as pleasant as the smell.

I then proceeded to pour the beer in a glass and then repeated the smell and taste test as well as a visual inspection. The color is a beautiful light copper evident of the big malt character. Now that my whole nose had access I got to smell the rest of the hops. There are some earthy hops in there that are also evident in the taste. The bitterness seems more balanced because of additional aromas. It leaves a lingering bitterness but it is not unpleasant anymore.

Overall a great beer and one I could buy over and over. I just need a cup or glass nearby.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Beautifully hazy and darkly peach-colored, with a lot of bubbles floating swiftly to the top, leaving nice raindrop lacing and a good ring of lacing around the body of the brew.

Smell: Pungent and sweet, with spiky citrus notes dominating, especially grapefruit and lemon, with some tangerine notes too and mild peach. But the sweetness isn't overpowering. A lot going on here.

Taste: Initially the balance happens very well here, with some marijuana-like flavors from the hops, that go very well with the zest-like orange and lemon going on. Lingering grapefruit, and again, the sweet peach notes come in, but they're working well to make this extremely balanced. Also some husk and grain notes linger long after the finish.

Mouthfeel: Not necessarily velvety, but the carbonation works very well in this more medium-bodied brew. Lingering bubbles, not so much champagne-like, but they serve the purpose to make everything smooth sip after sip.

Drinkability: A pretty awesome surprise. Went to Portland a week ago and picked up a 6-pack on a whim for $8 or $9, and it's definitely worth it. Baxter only does two brews thus far, but i hope they continue to do more. Check this out if you can.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to IndiaPaleAle for making sure that my end of The CANQuest (TM) gets a chance to try some Mainerd beer. I spent the best summer of my life in Portland, ME in 1990 and a high school friend owns an art framing studio up there, plus I have visited a few times since then. I loved Maine, but the unemployment rate is less than enticing in terms of a relocation. Oh well.

From the CAN: "Draught Beer Taste, Fit For the Camp-Lake-BBQ-Mountain-Hike-Picnic-Beach-Cooler-Backpack-Fridge-Golf Course."; "Thirsty For Adventure? Set sail With Our Crew!"; "Craft-Brewed In Maine"; "Bold, complex flavors with a solid malt backbone and assertive hop profile, along with cold conditioning give this beer its crisp, clean finish." I also liked the skull & crossbones/piratical/nautical graphics as a retired US Navy sailor. Stowaway? Arrgh! Yer goin' into the locker - Davy Jones' Locker, boyo!

The Crack revealed yet one more brimful CAN o' beer and now I am coming to expect it as the norm. The Glug began to create a force o' nature head and I had to back down, lest overflow procedures come into effect. I was faced with two fingers' worth of tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with just a hint of haze. Nose was both orange-citrusy and caramel malty. This combination always reminds me of the Orange Brach's caramels that were in a jar at my maternal grandmother's house when I was a kid. Mmmm. My mmmmouth was watering in anticipation. The mmmoooose on the CAN seemed to be winking at me. Mmmmouthfeel was mmmediummm with a very pleasant intermingling of the orange and caramel flavors noted on the nose. Mmmmm. Mmman, I was really starting to suck this down until I looked at the time and the ABV. This was too easy-drinkin' for this hour! Finish was more bitter than sweet, which in my mind, is a good thing. I might not want this for the beach, but it definitely gets a spot in my cooler for Hula in the Coola Day!

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Medium amber with a full cream colored head. Some sticky lace and a few rings to boot.

Floral hoppiness here; kept going back and getting orange blossom. Citric and resinous aromas, with toasted malt and fruit.

Loved this one. Citric and piney hoppiness, caramel, fruit, toasted malt, leading to another level of bitterness -- almost tea-like. Great balance of malt depth and sweetness and the hops. Good hop and malt finish, in balance.

Sticky and medium-full in body. Good carbonation out of the tap.

Very good IPA. Nice complexity, not overdone, drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz can poured into perfect pint glass.

A - pours a deep clear gold, with a head that sticks around and leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S - Hops, hops, and more hops. It smells fantastic.

T - Delicious, hoppy up front, a nice dry bitterness in the finish.

M - Nice carbonation, dry finish, the hop flavor lingers for awhile.

D - For a 6.9% ABV beer, this has surprising drinkability.

I look forward to trying more beer from Baxter Brewing, craft beer in a can is just an outstanding concept!

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

A-Pours the traditional IPA color. Quite clear, with a plethora of bubbles feeding the generous off-white head that retains. Head is over a finger's width. Texture is foamy and leaves tiny blotches of lacing on the glass.

S-The hops display a marijuana/hemp aroma. I also get a smell of rubber. Almost like an elastic band. I have smelled this before, but it is always a surprise when I come across a beer with such an aroma. Lightly fruity hoppiness too. The more is sniff, the more I detect the citrus, flowers, and bready malt. The nose has balance; the malt is detectable as well. A unique smell of individuality and compromise between the hop and malt.

T-The citrus hop rules here. Malt coexists with the hop, but this one tastes quite like ripe, juicy clementine. Cracker malt hits after the hop. I truly enjoy the specific hop used here (I need to learn more about the flavors each hop offers). An inviting flavor. Plenty of balance. The malt and hop have a sort of yin-yang effect here. I like the flavor a lot here because I love the citrus/fruity hop IPA.

M-Light side of a medium bodied beer. A bit of hop resin. Carbonation is plentiful yet delicate. Good feel.

O/D-Overall, this beer actually kicks ass. I was not expecting this beer to please me as much as it did. It is by no means an aggressively flavored IPA, but it is very drinkable, relatively cheap at $9.29, and has the hop flavor I love. Exceeded my expectations; might have to grab a couple more six packs of this surprisingly good IPA.

Stowaway I.P.A. from Baxter Brewing Co.