Stowaway I.P.A. - Baxter Brewing Co.

Stowaway I.P.A.Stowaway I.P.A.

Baxter Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Bold, complex flavors with a solid malt backbone and assertive hop profile, along with cold conditioning, give this beer its crisp, clean, hoppy finish. Deep amber-to-orangish in color, Stowaway pours with a nice, creamy head; a huge hop aroma of citrus, pine and grapefruit notes; and a big, complex, and intense hop flavor from the 5 different hop varieties and double-dry-hopping procedure used in making this beer. The malt flavor up-front turns dry and crisp; Stowaway is full-bodied but with a dry finish and pleasant, long-lasting, hop aftertaste. This I.P.A. definitely leaves you wanting more.

(Beer added by: Casey10 on 02-01-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stowaway I.P.A. Alström Bros
stonermouse

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a hazy orange, near-amber. Nice, steady, thin head with decent lacing. Head replenishes with every sip.

Big blast of citrus hops with the crack of the can. One of the more potent, complex hop profiles I've experiences in an aroma. Mostly citrus, but some flowery, pollen-like aromas as it warms. A little depth from the malt as well. Top-notch.

Taste is really, really excellent. The solid, mild, slightly sweet malt base, with the citrusy, fairly dry hop profile make me think of a poor man's Red Racer IPA. The flavors are incredibly complimentary. This gets stickier as it warms, which is different and allows for some of the complexity of the hops to show. However, this is at it's best cold and crisp.

Mouthfeel is nice. Again, the malt profile is near-perfect, not too potent, not too thin, and makes for an easy drinker.

This brew shocked me, especially after the other somewhat benign offering from Baxter (Pale Ale). It was much more flavorful and complex than I was anticipating. I can't wait until it makes its way into MA...

05-19-2011 02:00:33 | More by stonermouse
sitarist

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Another blind review via the blind bif, thanks to Brez07 .

Pours a nice, fairly cloudy shade of orange. It has two fingers of off white head that falls to a cap that leaves lots of lacing. It has a very pleasant aroma. I smell orange candy, crackers, and tropical fruits. Lots of hops with a sweet malt backbone. The orange candy from the nose carries over into the flavor, I also taste white bread, and crackers. From its aroma I was expecting more of a hop bomb. It has a light to medium body with carbonation doing a light tap dance on my tongue. Kind of has a slick feeling to it. A pretty dam good beer overall. It is bold, but a bit one dimensional. It doesnt bore me, and it isn't a challenge to my senses. An excellent beer to enjoy with friends, and the great outdoors.

Im guessing its an I.P.A. Its definitely not a kill shot!...its a Baxter Brewing Stowaway I.P.A. Cool can! Another good beer I never would have tried if not for the blind bif.

05-16-2011 19:02:04 | More by sitarist
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

Had this while in Maine in mid March.

A: A nice pretty orange hue and a finger or two of white fluffy head, a very pretty look you'd hope for in an IPA. Tons of great lacing. Only detraction from this is it could be a bit more brilliant as it's kind of cloudy.

S: Tons of citra hops jump out of the glass, and to support this there is a light toffee backdrop. A little bit of pine adds a bit of spice to this brew. Smells fresh and nice!

T: Doesn't live up to the smell but it is definitely solid. Dry biscuit malt with honey, citrus hops, and some grassy notes kick on the back of the tongue.

M: A little thin for me, almost the clean feel of a pilsner. Crisp at the end.

O: Overall very nice, the smell probably being the best part of this brew.

05-15-2011 19:11:31 | More by Dreadnaught33
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Marked "Canned: 04:06-No Bunnies." Sampled on May 6, 2011. The pour is a cloudy amber-copper with a huge, foamy head and decent carbonation. Floral hops penetrate the nose with a pleasant dose of citrus and grapefruit as well. The body is about average medium. I like how the malts come on strong at first with the milder hoppiness taking up the rear. Not too pungent of an IPA with a likeable malty character mixed in.

05-07-2011 01:31:50 | More by puboflyons
jlindros

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Big fluffy head fades semi slowly with tons of sticky lacing, over mostly clear nectar orange color beer.

Nose of light fruity and citrus hops, touch of tropical fruit, light grassy hops too, some sweet malts under that as well balancing it well.

Taste brings fresh hops, slightly resinous, tropical fruits, citrus, a slight pine, fairly bitter, light malty sweetness bringing a good malty backbone for balance, juicy hop flavors. Finishes slightly resinous again, fresh hops resonate through my mouth, a bit of citrus and hint of freshening spearmint, semi dry but a light sweetness.

Mouth is medium bodied, lower but decent enough carbonation.

Overall pretty good, a nice canned IPA, nice fresh hops, malty balance, not too bitter, drinkable.

05-02-2011 00:43:16 | More by jlindros
cosmicevan

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Big props go out to BlessedBeBeer for another fine extra.

a - popped open the can and filled my duvel taster tulip (canned date 2/23/11). Very nice clear yellow orange with lively carbonation and a thick frothy head.

s - smell is a very nice and even hop with good malt presence. smells crisp like the can says. good sweetness too.

t - i was really excited for this one after the odor, but seems to fall a bit short in the flavor dept (hope that sitting on it for 2 months didn't do that much damage to the flavor). the hop profile is there, but more bitter than sweet.

m - a bit watery, but nice carbonation. bittery aftertaste. actually not so much watery, but syrupy...missing that beer kick, kind of like a slushy made entire of syrup.

o - overall a bit average...maybe a bit better. nice local, great extra, but not something i could see getting wide distro...nothing sets it apart from the pack, and in a world of crazy ipas, this one gets lost in the mix. maybe more hop flavoring instead of bitter hops would bump this one up for me.

04-28-2011 01:28:05 | More by cosmicevan
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz can poured into a tumbler.

Pours a hazy amber with a small white sticky head with some light lacing. Nose is sticky and hoppy with sweet backbone.

Taste is quite bitter with a separate nice thick sweet mouthfeel. Very well balanced - there is some nice fruitiness as well. Overall it's quite tasty and drinkable.

04-23-2011 02:32:08 | More by kingcrowing
Photo of

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

#WINNING!

This is a winning example of a locally available IPA. It may very well become a regular in my IPA line-up due to the fact that it is readily available and represents the true qualities of an Indian Pale Ale. Baxter brewing Co seems to be hitting the notes, excited to see more from their brewery.

S- Floral,hops,conifer trees, citrus, mild sweet notes. A pleasurable distinct IPA smell that is winning.

T- A strong hops note coupled with citrus and sweet malt. You know you are drinking IPA and pleased to be doing so.

M- Smooth and dry

O- A very nice IPA that will surely please anyone who enjoys a quality IPA. A kickass Maine brew.

04-19-2011 00:23:58 | More by
syrupjoe

4.08/5  rDev +6%

I can't believe that this isn't a more popular beer! I came to Maine to visit a friend, and the first stop was the liquor store to pick up a bunch of local brews. I hadn't heard anything about this beer or the brewery before, but I was giving everything a shot so threw one (gently) in the cart. I liked it so much I made it one of the other two beers that I returned for.

Cracking the can open queues up a thick foamy head that has threatened to overflow in the 5 cans that I've had (from two separate 6-packs), which was kind of fun but not something I've had happen before.

The floral, citrusy nose is a real treat - it compares to that of a certain dry-hopped IPA that MN has become famous for in the past few years (rhymes with "burly curious"). No off-scents from the can, not even the metallic presence often found in other canned beers.

The taste is very citrusy and somewhat juicy like a west-coast IPA, although not as juicy as brews like Two Hearted. The bitterness is quite strong, and although the beer as a whole is very well balanced, I would prefer it to be a little less bitter. I also get some dried fruit and burnt molasses notes. Could use a bit more malt complexity in the body.

Finishes pretty dry, which just makes me want to drink more. Overall this was a highly enjoyable beer, and it will be at the top of my list for future visits to Maine and in trades with Mainers.

04-18-2011 03:40:43 | More by syrupjoe
woodychandler

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to IndiaPaleAle for making sure that my end of The CANQuest (TM) gets a chance to try some Mainerd beer. I spent the best summer of my life in Portland, ME in 1990 and a high school friend owns an art framing studio up there, plus I have visited a few times since then. I loved Maine, but the unemployment rate is less than enticing in terms of a relocation. Oh well.

From the CAN: "Draught Beer Taste, Fit For the Camp-Lake-BBQ-Mountain-Hike-Picnic-Beach-Cooler-Backpack-Fridge-Golf Course."; "Thirsty For Adventure? Set sail With Our Crew!"; "Craft-Brewed In Maine"; "Bold, complex flavors with a solid malt backbone and assertive hop profile, along with cold conditioning give this beer its crisp, clean finish." I also liked the skull & crossbones/piratical/nautical graphics as a retired US Navy sailor. Stowaway? Arrgh! Yer goin' into the locker - Davy Jones' Locker, boyo!

The Crack revealed yet one more brimful CAN o' beer and now I am coming to expect it as the norm. The Glug began to create a force o' nature head and I had to back down, lest overflow procedures come into effect. I was faced with two fingers' worth of tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with just a hint of haze. Nose was both orange-citrusy and caramel malty. This combination always reminds me of the Orange Brach's caramels that were in a jar at my maternal grandmother's house when I was a kid. Mmmm. My mmmmouth was watering in anticipation. The mmmoooose on the CAN seemed to be winking at me. Mmmmouthfeel was mmmediummm with a very pleasant intermingling of the orange and caramel flavors noted on the nose. Mmmmm. Mmman, I was really starting to suck this down until I looked at the time and the ABV. This was too easy-drinkin' for this hour! Finish was more bitter than sweet, which in my mind, is a good thing. I might not want this for the beach, but it definitely gets a spot in my cooler for Hula in the Coola Day!

04-14-2011 03:25:14 | More by woodychandler
afksports

4.08/5  rDev +6%

I have only been able to say that I like every beer from one state- Minnesota- until now. Maine is now 3 for 3 across two breweries. And I'm saying this maybe because my first bottle broke in shipment and the package is being returned. And it was a rare beer. And I'm sad. Hah.

Appearance is orange copper sexy haze with a popping head that leaves a thin top on the body the whole pour. You can really smell the 69 IBU's, but that fun number doesn't get in the way of roasty malts either. The citrus and the pine hops come through up front and the malts take it away thorughout the pour. Tiny bit of drying hops in the back that only settle in after a largely clean finish. It leaves you wanting more of this 6.8% brew.

Although at times it tastes like a west coast pale ale because of the large malt backbone, this tasty brew should be enjoye on all occasions where cans are appropriate, and I may have to find a way to get some more.

04-14-2011 01:30:07 | More by afksports
sk8man121

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz can poured into tumbler.

A: Pours a translucent orange-rust with a 1-finger eggshell head. Leaves a fair light lacing on the glass. Fairly average in appearance.

S: Intense hop fragrance. Citrus, lemongrass, peach. Smells quite inviting.

T: Absolute mouthfull of cascade hops. Floral to the point of no return. A bit one-dimensional, with a tongue-stripingly bitter finish.

M: Mouthfeel saves this one. Creamy, highly carbonated and quite full. Very nice.

O: I first heard this described as being very similar to Central City Brewing's excellent Red Racer IPA. While it would be easy to lump this in with that and other west coast-style IPAs, it lacks the complexity that makes RR such a fantastic beer. That said, it's very sessionable at 6.9%, and is worlds apart from Baxter's disappointing Pamola Extra Pale Ale. I look forward to tasting their future offerings.

A decent IPA overall, and unique for Maine.

04-12-2011 02:53:34 | More by sk8man121
indiapaleale

Pour - tangerine-orange in color, clean and clear with a very rich, very thick and creamy head. Very impressive pour, be it from a can, bottle or on tap.

Aroma - citrus, fresh pine and evergreen needles, orange peel, grapefruit and

Taste - lemony-orange citrus flavors hit the tongue first followed by some malty sweetness and some notes of passionfruit and other tropical fruits. Nice carbonation levels with tiny little bubbles bringing refreshment to your taste buds. A bit dry in the finish which has you dipping your face back in the glass for more. Somehow this beer weighs in at 6.9% ABV, but I don't taste it. I could get into some trouble with a case of these...

Overall - a nice debut IPA from the canning folks in the great state of Maine. As this brewery ages I expect to see this beer mastered and certainly become one of the top IPAs in a very crowded New England brewing scene.

Would I buy more of it? - absolutely. I'll definitely be picking up some more cans of this IPA next time I'm up in Maine.

04-12-2011 01:27:30 | More by indiapaleale
beyah

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beer in a can, haven't tried that in quite a while.

A - Cloudy golden beer with minimal head and nice lacing.

S - Strong smell of Pacific NW Hops, maybe some Chinook?

T - One of my favorites is Arrogant Bastard, this is similar in hop flavor and aroma, but a true IPA malt backbone. The finish perfect for this style.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit thin.

Overall, highly recomended, if you are a hophead like me. Not for the faint at heart.

04-03-2011 00:27:34 | More by beyah
lordofthewiens

Canned on 3/21/11.
In a pint glass the beer was a clear amber color. It had a big, fluffy off-white head, with a little bit of lace.
Fresh, floral aroma. Sweet malt. A little bit of citrus.
Piney hops, bready. Some grapefruit. The hops lingered well.
A nice, medium-bodied IPA. Pleasant hops.
Would drink this again.

03-30-2011 20:45:48 | More by lordofthewiens
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks to Hollie for sending this out!

Poured into NB Globe Glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of rocky khaki head. Good retention with lace rings. Color is a dark rustic orange.

Aroma: Pretty fresh and hoppy. Weedy and piney. A little bit of union flavor. A bit of citrus. Kind of dank hoppy.

Taste: Kind of different from the nose. It is a lot grassier. A bit weedy. Sticky hops. Has the similar onion hints. Hardly and citrus fruits here. Some bready malts.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and sticky.Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a hop resin feel.

Overall, a decent ipa. Very bitter. It lacked the tropical citrus fruit that I normally enjoy in ipas, however. Decent drinkability.

03-29-2011 23:46:54 | More by mothman
Brad007

Vermont

Received in a trade from BrewedAwakening.

Pours a hella decent amber color with a good one-finger head into my glass. Great color.

Lightly buttered malt and grassy hops greet the nose. Aroma isn't as "full" as I'd like.

Lots of bitterness for the hop lover backed up by lightly buttered malt. As for the hops themselves, they've got good citrus/grassy flavors.

Lingering bitterness dominates the mouthfeel. It's like your throat was just coated by hop juice.

I like it and it's from a brewery I obviously haven't seen yet. Worth trading for!

03-28-2011 04:11:30 | More by Brad007
gdrydenc

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Excited to try this new Maine brewery!

A - Medium orange with about a finger of thick white head. Pretty good looking beer.

S - Citrus is on the forefront of the scents here. Orange is what really stands out to me. Not a ton of pine in the nose, but the orangey hops really overwhelm.

T - Much like the smell, this is a very orange tasting beer. I love fruity IPAs (right now!) and this is a wonderful example. There's a nice finish to this, which isn't necessarily a malty finish, but it takes any bitterness off.

M - Herein lies my only issue. Though this is a wonderful beer, the mouthfeel is slightly watery. It lacks a certain creaminess that some fruity IPAs excel in.

Overall, an awesome beer from a cool new brewery. I like the canned aspect, and although I've heard less than wonderful things about their other beer, I'd love to see more stuff like this!

03-24-2011 01:41:15 | More by gdrydenc
twelvsies

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Out of the can and into the glass this beer pours a very clear light orangey amber, ample white head. Fresh hops in the nose, mostly citrus, orange creamsicle, with a noticeable husky malt presence underneath. Real big hop bouquet on this one, I like it. A bit of floral hops mixed in with the citrussy piney flavors, and a big but not-too-sweet malt base. Slick on the palate, quite crisp and smooth and on the lighter side for an IPA, but it works. Very balanced while being very hoppily assertive and quite refreshing and quaffable. A welcome addition to the Maine craft brewing scene - in a can! +1 bonus point for any beer depicting random wildlife on the label (a la Schmidts).

03-20-2011 02:30:00 | More by twelvsies
DavoleBomb

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Clear medium to dark orange color. Two fingers of creamy off-white head with pretty good retention and full on lacing. Very nice.

4.0 S: A lot of tropical fruits going on here. Pineapple is strongest, followed by mango and grapefruit, followed by orange and pine. Malts are for the most part hidden behind the hops. Maybe a touch of crystal malt and bread.

3.5 T: Healthy bitterness. Not quite mouth distorting, but definitely powerful. Orange and pine are the big players this time. Grapefruit and pineapple to a lower extent. Malts are much breadier than in the nose, but still just a touch of crystal.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy, but could be moreso.

4.0 D: Solid IPA. It doesn't standout, but it certainly is nice.

03-16-2011 03:36:19 | More by DavoleBomb
gford217

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz can courtesy of Ben.

Pours a deep, clear amber with a small creamy beige head that lasts a while and leaves great lacing.

Aroma is great on this one with lots of floral pine hops and light citrus with a solid bready malt presence.

Taste is nice and bitter up front with pineapple and orange rinds giving way to a hefty bready malt backbone. The finish is lightly bitter with some resinous pine dominating.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, but unlike the pale ale, doesn't come across as watery at all.

This beer is miles better than the pale ale with plenty of hops and body to represent the style well. I could drink a lot of these.

03-09-2011 03:17:18 | More by gford217
deltatauhobbit

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a straw golden color with a good sized head, leaves a thin cap on top for quite awhile, some small bits of lacing on the glass.

Smell has a citrusy piney aroma with a strong malt backbone to balance things out.

Taste starts out slightly resiny with a decent hop bitterness on the tongue, the bitterness doesn't overstay its welcome since the sweet malt smooths things over, carbonation is medium with a nice crispness, the strength is well hidden and I wouldn't believe it to be almost 7%, drinks almost like a lawnmower IPA, finishes quite dry.

03-08-2011 01:19:34 | More by deltatauhobbit
WanderingFool

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Stowaway IPA pours a clear, amber color with a big two-finger wide creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly leaving behind a netted pattern of lace on the glass.

The aroma is loaded with hoppy notes of pine and orange citrus.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is dry on the palate with a moderate carbonated fizz. The flavor is fairly well balanced with the hops taking the edge. It begins with pine and orange/grapefruit citrus with a hint of pepper. Toasted malt and a touch of caramel balance out the hop bitterness. It finishes moderately bitter with a hint of alcohol and a lasting taste of pine and citrus when gone.

This is a well balanced, very tasty, easy to drink IPA. I look forward to bring some cans with me on my camping and backpacking trips.

03-02-2011 22:12:42 | More by WanderingFool
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Huge white head and a just so slightly hazy straw color. The huge head thins out a bit and leaves lots of sticky lacing.

The smell is loaded with hops and very evident as I pour. Lots of herbal, floral scents. Notes of thyme are noticed in the aroma.

The taste is of course dry and bitter. The start of the beer is very mellow; the finish is dry, bitter, herbal, and crisp.

The mouthfeel is nice and crisp, allowing the bitter hop flavor to shine through. I'm glad Maine has another competent, tasty IPA in its arsenal (alongside the Sebago).

03-01-2011 04:57:10 | More by andrewinski1
Bendurgin

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a tumbler! Pours a hazy orange with about two fingers of frothy white head. Great retention on this guy. It sticks around through out most of the drink. Nice balanced aroma too. Candied orange zest with a citrus hop profile and a noticable malt character to sum it up. Really a good smelling beer here. The taste is good and crisp. Orange citrus with a bitter hop finish. Pretty good and nice and dry. Good feel to this, the carbonbation is a bit sharp but the nice light body is great. A nice new local offering from the great state of Maine, glad to see this on the shelves now.

03-01-2011 01:36:21 | More by Bendurgin
Stowaway I.P.A. from Baxter Brewing Co.