Buckeye Blonde - Ohio Brewing Company

Reviews by srgj88:
2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.32/5  rDev +11%

It looks like a wit, a lightly hazed pale yellow-gold in color. Not much of a head forms, but at least it leaves something behind. A tight pure white foam rings the glass and leaves a tiny spots of lacing.
Wheat is in the aroma, and it's a pretty firm backbone. I think what's interesting is that the brewery seems to have opted for some more unusual spicing rather than the typical coriander and orange peel. They also seem to be in here, but some additional spices seem to have been added as well. Overall it's what I'd expect, but I get a whisper of something strangely meaty that doesn't belong.
The flavor is very interesting. There's lots of lemon and orange zest behind wheat, but I think someone was trying to buck the trend with the spicing. The strange meaty element shows in the finish as well. Overall this isn't bad, but I think people are really thrown off by the unusual flavor of the additional spices used. I'm also fighting to get over that odd meatball note.
A wit is supposed to be light, and this beer is while avoiding being watery. Crispness is on par and a nice smoothness does come out. I'd call the feel semi-dry.

3.57/5  rDev +19.4%

This was a new arrival at the local beer store I go to, I haven't seen any Ohio Brewing Company beers in Columbus before so I figured I'd pick some up. 12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy straw gold color with about an inch white head. The head sticks around a little while, and there's an average amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is sweet and spicy, it smells like coriander, orange peel, wheat and sweet malt. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma, it's mostly spicy and sweet, but with some slight bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slicker and thicker than I expected it to be (for a witbier), and it has moderate carbonation. It's also smooth and very easy to drink. I think it's a decent enough brew that I would buy occasionally. $9.99 a 6 pack.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

1.77/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into an A-B flute on 12/14/11

Very thin, pale color - watery gold. It features a haze, too. White foam hits the two finger mark before dropping down to a thin layer. No lace.

The aroma is ok, but I find myself going back and forth with it. It's quite grassy; at times dank and wet, while other times more floral. Spices are mixed in - pepper and a dash of clove. Faint apple notion. Suggestions of buttered popcorn buried deep in the mix.

Whew, this tastes like a bad time - dirt, tea leaves, sunburnt grass, straw and adjunct. I want to say particle board, but that might be reaching. In any case, this is no good. Tangy, artificial light fruit notes peak out every so often. Tastes rotten as it warms.

The faults of flavor are exalted by the feel, which is thin, plasticine and juiced with carbonation like a really bad blend of soda pop and tea.

I'm looking forward to the end of this sentence so I can dump this down the drain.

3.17/5  rDev +6%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Thanks to JayQue for this bottle!

She sure is... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-white micro-foam. The nose comprises orange peel, light lemon zest, light cardamom, and a touch of honey. The taste turns the lemon up past 11, with the cardamom and orange really taking a back seat. I've almost got a lemonade kind o' thing goin' on here. Too much for my liking, frankly. The body is a hefty-leaning light, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, an okay wit at best, one that just doesn't cut it for me.

3.47/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of an Ohio stash of 41 beers supplied by a Buckeye friend. This one does not match up as an outstanding witbier, but it still tastes pretty good and I wouldn't mind a session with this on a hot day.

Pours a hazy straw gold color with a small delicate bubbly white head. Head retention is poor and lacing is minimal.

Smell has some witbier elements, coriander, orange peel. Taste don't match up to the best witbiers. The flavors are mild and there is a little Saison-like lemon zest and funk thrown in. All in all fairly interesting but not a great Wit.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Not watery but not that rich. I still wouldnt turn down a pitcher on a hot day.

2.31/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

When it comes to Witibers, I'm rarely disappointed. This beer just seems to be a work in progress at best, and a disaster at worst. The problem doesn't lie in the appearance--in fact, the lacing was better than I expected. But the smell is dull and fails to follow through on the typical fragrances (coriander, lemon, orange, spice, etc.) and instead smells empty and longing. The taste is just odd, as it's too bitter, tastes artificial, and has a metallic quality to it--all while, again, lacking those flavors that I expect in a witiber. The mouthfeel is a bit too thin and that weird metallic/bitter flavor lingers in the aftertaste, and it goes down feeling acidic and overly carbonated. Overall, with so many witibers out there, I can't recommend this by any means. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with this batch, because I certainly can't imagine that it usually tastes this way. Being from Ohio, I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.18/5  rDev -27.1%

The color was the best thing about this beer it looked exactly like a Wit should. I did not smell any of the normal characteristics of a Wit, it lacked coriander, orange peel, or any spices of any kind. The taste on the other hand did have hints of spices but it was very weak and hard to pick up. It was too light bodied for me and felt more like a lager with some spices thrown in than a Belgium Wit. Overall I was not impressed with this beer it was not true to style and way to weak to be classified a Wit.

3.85/5  rDev +28.8%

Lookes Like A Blond! Some what hazey, but no chuncks, light in color.

It had a slight Wheat smell with hops on the back end, just like how the taste went.

Mellow Fruit Taste with bigger Hop Flavor then I expected.

This was a very Refreshing Beer.

I prefer Bigger Beers, but found this
enjoyable, Look forward to having another!!!

Buckeye Blonde from Ohio Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.