Pinstripe Stout - Blue Pants Brewery

Gold Medal 2015 World Beer Championships
to view more.
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 16
3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Blackish brown with a mocha one finger head that dissipates fast. Soapy lacing.

S: Dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, anise.

T: Follows nose with a surprisingly good taste. The dark chocolate really rocks it. Let it warm for maximum pop. Nice coffee and vanilla mix.

M: Medium with medium, dry carbonation.

O: A decent entry from Blue Pants. Would definitely drink again. Wish I'd bought their barrel aged Pinstripe at the checkout counter.

One of my fav beers

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

Serving Type: Bottle
Appearance: Dark and about what I expect in a stout
Smell: Big coffee nose with a bit of wood in it.
Taste: The taste is a bit watery but has some nice coffee to it. A bit less bitter than other stouts I've had but enjoyable.
Mouthfeel. Not as thick as other stouts but still leaves a nice lingering coating.

Overall: A solid local brew for North Alabama. Good price per pour and I am pleased to report the brewery is right down the road from me. This is a great thing for Alabama, never thought I'd see the say. Good job to the Free the Hops campaign and the folks at Blue Pants. I suspect I will enjoy this more when the weather cools down come October or November. Not something I'd go really far out of my way for but if you are in the North Alabama area and you like a good malty coffee stout you should check this one out.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown body with a lasting layer of deep tan-hued foam.

Smell: As one would expect, a coffee-forward, roasty aroma with touches of the added vanilla, chocolate, and dark fruit.

Taste: Roasty malts are prominent, though some charred toast is also present. The dregs of a pot of tangy coffee thrown in, a little vanilla showing. Some chalky dark chocolate. Medium-light sweetness. A little dark fruit. Slight milky tone midway and into the drying, roasty, warming, coffee-centric finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation, a bit foamy in the mouth.

Overall: A fairly competent, enjoyable coffee-dosed stout.

3.71/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours out very dark, almost completely opaque. Decent tan head and a fair amount of thin lacing.

Smell is a little weak, but I'm also experiencing some allergy problems, so I guess I'll have to try another one. I can pick up some basic stout scents, coffee, burnt toast, etc.

Taste is pretty impressive. Rich, dark roast coffee, a little smoky malt flavor, and a faintly sweet touch. Really delicious.

A little overcarbonated for my taste, maybe even for the style; yet, somehow, still deliciously creamy and smooth.

This beer pours out looking good, and goes down smoothly and quickly. Maybe not the best stout I've ever had, but definitely one I'll be buying again.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle -> New Belgium globe glass

A - obsidian black. A vigorous pour yield a massive caramel colored head. Retention and lacing are both great.

S - Chocolate, coffee, and a hint of vanilla.

T - follows the nose. Up front there is some sweet molasses and raisin. Coffee is the dominant flavor, but there is also chocolate, vanilla, and chicory. The finish has just a hint of alcohol warming.

M - very full with a coffee aftertaste.

O - My first offering from these guys. A right decent stout. There are better ones, but this one is worth a taste.

3.32/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to rich1970 for this bottle.

A - Pours the typical black, opaque color that stouts are known for but way over carbonated with half of the glass consisting of a massive dark tan head, the bottle also made a huge spritzing sound when it was opened. The head eventually died down (after 5 minutes) to where it should be - a nice even layer across the top.

S - A little bit of coffee and a whole lot of dark roasted chocolate.

T - This beer is dominated by dark roasted chocolate and coffee with a nice bitter coffee/chocolate bite at the very end, some alcohol warming in the back of the throat on the way down.

M - It's hard to get any texture from this beer because of the gigantic carbonation issue, as soon as it hits the tongue it's foams up like crazy in the mouth to the point of almost masking the overall flavor. The carbonation bubbles up immediately like a geyser.

O - A tasty stout but the massive carbonation is really killing this for me, 'would love to try this one again from a different batch. (I should probably let the bottle sit open all night and try it tomorrow, the carbonation issue is ridiculous.) Unfortunate, because the flavors I am getting are nice and roasty and work well.

3.59/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque ebony with 4 fingers of mocha colored head, that finally tightens up to 2 fingers of head. Good lacing & average head retention

S: Coffee & cocoa, all fade as this warms

T: Follows the nose, some powdery dryness & carob up front. Some roastyness, carob & more coffee as this warms, there's a touch of chicory along with dryness. Finishes roasty, slightly boozey, pretty dry with a bit of raisin & carob lurking in the background

MF: Light bodied, creamy/soft carbonation

A pretty good, drinkable coffee slanted Imp Stout, I'd rather have founders or expresso yeti, but a passable alternative

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had it on tap at the blue Pants Brewery Tap Room.

Appearance: Pours with a chocolatey-black appearance. A small head that is gone after I take my first sip.

Smell: My nose got slapped. This is an in-your-face stout with toasted everything coming straight out. Mostly hints of chocolate truffle, Heath bar, sweet cream.

Taste: Yum. That says it all. Everything you smelled is now in one place. The only downside that that the malty tastes are so accentuated you can't taste any of the hop involved in the brew. In my case, I like my stouts with as little hope as possible, so I was happy!.

Mouthfeel: Generally I like a stout that has a creamy texture with light carbonation, but this is one of the few moderate-high carbonation stouts that pique my interest. The emphasis of the roasted flavors really balances well with the carbonation. Both cover up the ABV with staggering ease.

Overall: I love this Blue pants brew. It's my favorite beer put out by the brewery that is closest to my home. I can't say the brew would go win double gold medals at an international competition, but it wouldn't embarrass itself either. A solid stout from an up-and-coming brewery.

3.36/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle. Pours a black color with a thin and quickly disappearing tan head, not really much lacing. Aroma is a hint of roasted malts, cocoa, vanilla, bread, nutty, and a hint of earthy hops. Flavor is roasted malts, cocoa, a bit of vanilla, and a hint of coffee. Mouthfeel is medium, a touch of creaminess, but a fairly dry, chalky, and bitter finish. Not really a whole lot of coffee in this one, decent stout, closer to milk stout aromas and flavors. Good beer though.

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a snifter out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours pitch black but with absolutely no head whatsoever. At first I really thought I got a defective bottle that had not been carbonated. There is just a very faint ring around the top but you have to look close. Really a big letdown.

Aroma is a nice mix of coffee and vanilla with the coffee just winning out. Plenty of roast as well and really reminiscent of a well-brewed mocha.

Loads of coffee, dark chocolate, and vanilla on the flavor along with plenty of roast. All is quite nicely balanced and there is a pleasant sweetness smoothing everything out. The lack of carbonation really shows up here leading to an excessively watery mouthfeel. The flavors also drop away rather quickly leaving just a slightly astringent bitterness.

Overall, a nice beer that just falls a bit short. I really like what is going on with the coffee and vanilla and it is a little weak and fades quickly. The lack of carbonation really kills this beer and takes away greatly from the mouthfeel and appearance. It is certainly not worth the $10 I paid for the bomber.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

I got this in a ghetto growler at Highland Package Store in Birmingham, Alabama. Has a sweet toasty smell that was pleasing to my nose. Not much carbonation or head. Opaque black color. Smooth and slightly bitter taste with lots of coffee toasty malt and slight hopes. This was my first encounter with beer from this brewery and I was pleasantly impressed, Would love to visit the Madison area and drink more of their beer on tap. I would recommend this stout to anyone who likes this style. I normally do not but this one was good.

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

served on-tap into a pint glass @ Suds of the South beerfest

***Note: my review of this beer is under the assumption that this is an AMERICAN STOUT style beer, not a double/imperial stout***

Pours a ashy looking black color. That doesn't mean anything does it? Well, I guess I mean that it is more of a dark dark gray than black, like charcoal. Shoulda' just said charcoal. I don't like deleting sentences, as you can see. 1.5 fingers of khaki head is quick to dissipate.

Pinstripe Stout has a potent nose. It doesn't smell like an imperial stout, but there's plenty of stuff going on. Well, in quantity of smell not quantity of different smells. You like chocolate? There's plenty of baker's chocolate here. You like coffee? Lots of it here. Roast? Naturally. Vanilla and/or cream puff filling? Indeed. Hops? Not so much. But that's OK.

The taste follows the nose. Again, this doesn't taste like an imperial stout. It tastes, at most, like an Export Stout. There's a lot of coffee and darkish chocolate and sweetness too but oh, so much roast flavor... but it isn't a heavy beer and it isn't complex. I drank multiple rounds of this before learning of its ABV% of 8. You can't taste that 8% whatsoever.

This is an American Stout, no more. Blue Pants would be wise to market this not as an imperial stout. It just isn't full enough (in mouthfeel or complexity) to be a successful beer in that category. As a straight-up stout however, I can't really ask for much more than what Pinstripe Stout delivers. Good work, Blue Pants.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Served in a pint glass at The Nook in Huntsville, AL. This beer is opaquely dark with a coffee and burnt malt taste. Smooth and not as heavy as a Guinness with a slightly bitter after taste. A taste that grows on you and gets better with each sip. Outstanding aroma that makes you want to sniff as you drink. A good local brew that is certainly worth a try.

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Pours an oily, black with hints of brown when held to the light; little/no head, with a touch of brown film sitting on the top of the brew and sides of the glass; completely opaque

S: heavy coffee grounds, dark chocolate, sweet vanilla, and roasted malt; straightforward; pretty much smells like dark-roast coffee with a touch of sweet cream and alcohol

T: mimics the aroma, but the vanilla really steps up; not too complex, but bold and unapologetic; I expected bitterness from the coffee, but the vanilla balances it well; a really decent brew

M: oily and carbonated; not at all what I expected; little/no creaminess, and kinda weak

O: a good effort by a small-time brewery; you can tell this one has potential, but it's not quite there yet

4.2/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled this one at Bandito Southside in Huntsville. Poured black and smooth. Relatively low carbonation contributes to the mouthfeel number. Heavy coffee finish. Really enjoyed this one. I can't wait to try the Knickerbocker Red. Support Huntsville area brewing.

to view more.