Corduroy Rye - Blue Pants Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Blue Pants Brewery visit their website
Alabama, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 07-24-2011)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

jmbraxton, Aug 19, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +37.2%

BB29, Jun 29, 2012

I've had this on draft at The Nook and at 1892 East in Huntsville. It has varied much from tasting to tasting, and the scores will reflect the average of various beers that were labeled the same thing.
Appearance: The first few times I had it (2011), it was very clear and a mild orange/gold color. In 2012, it has become much thicker and foggier, though similarly colored. I in fact complained the first time I was served the cloudy version, claiming that this was not the same beer.
Smell: The smell was the same whether foggy or not- a clean bitter hop aroma, with just enough or something else going on to suggest rye in the mix. For an IPA, the smell below/near average, but the hint of rye made up for it.
Taste: The first time I had this, it was a clear, crisp, yet bitter IPA with a nice hint of rye, just enough to complement the bitter hops. In general, I lean toward less bitter, more fruity hop taste, but I really enjoyed the hop-bite of this beer. It was one of my favorite beers.
I am not sure if the recipe changed, if the brewery had trouble repeating this recipe with different equipment, or what,, however, the cloudy (2012) version of this beer is nowhere near as good. The first time I received a cloudy Corduroy Rye IPA (at 1892 East),. I actually complained and got something else, thinking maybe it was a yeast-freshness issue. The second time (months later, at The Nook), I decided I wouldn't order it anymore. My mother, who also loved this beer, continued trying it for a few weeks, and it stayed the cloudy version.
Mouthfeel: Light enough to let hops take the main stage, full enough to remind you this is no pale/blonde ale.
Overall: I really loved the original form of this beer. Maybe I just got a freak batch, but it was clean, crisp, hoppy, with just enough rye to give it a claim to a unique genre. However, the cloudier version is much muddier. I taste hops and malts, but the flavors just don't mesh correctly to make a beer competetive with other Huntsville IPAs. In fact, the last time I saw this on a menu, it was called a Rye Ale--no longer an IPA--maybe it was just the restaurant or maybe it was Blue Pants' inconsistency. Only time (and more beer) will tell. I will continue to order this from time to time, hoping I will see a clear, golden IPA like I once did, and if you find it, please give this Corduroy Rye IPA another review solely on your newer beer experience.

earlingy, Jun 29, 2012

freduardo, May 07, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Syracuse12, Jun 19, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

served from a growler (purchased at Corks & Tops, Tuscaloosa, AL) into a pint glass

Pours a darkish ruddy brown color. Not as clear as other rye IPAs that are commonly available (Founders Red's Rye, Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye). A little over a finger of buttermilk colored foam. Sparse lacing.

The rye aromas are the most easily discernible quality here: a combination of a spicy herbal aroma backed up by some semi-sweet chocolate chips. The hop profile is pretty traditional: grapefruit, pine, resin. It's nice and balanced, if not particularly interesting.

The taste follows the nose. Sharp, greeny, resiny hops first and foremost. A slight citric twang backing up the green flavors. Then there is, of course, the rye. Spicy and herbal. Again, this doesn't do anything that Ruthless Rye doesn't do. But that's fine.

Overall, this is an above average Rye IPA. If I'm in the mood for a Rye IPA -- and if Founders Red's Rye isn't fresh -- then I'll choose to purchase this local beer 10 time out of 10 over Ruthless Rye. I'm a fan, Blue Pants. Keep up the good work.

Reaper16, Apr 28, 2012

plumlmr, Feb 29, 2012

DocAJ, Feb 15, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +21.3%

A rye IPA from this tiny Alabama brewery poured into my glass from a ghetto growler purchased and filled at Highland Package Store in Birmingham. Consumed the same day. The brewer's website describes this beer as being 7% and 70 IBUs and hopped with Magnum, Centennial, and Cascade, with a Centennial dry-hopping as well. Pours a nice amber with a glow amnd a fairly short head. Definite rye note in the nose, with a light spicy crispness, but not so much rye that you get those dark chocolate flavors. Nice herbal and earthy hop profile with some definite pine in the mix and a bit less citrus peel. Very smooth in the mouth, with a hop mix that creeps up on you and becomes bitter in the end with a nice spicy note as well. A bit of sweetness here, perhaps a tad maltier than I'd like, but there is indeed some of those rye chocolate and spice flavors in the mix, and that more than compensates for the malt taste in my view. Very nicely balanced, this has a nice hoppy bitterness, but lacks the depth of the very best rye beers (Founders Reds Rye for instance), but this is a much lighter beer, probably by design, than that. On the other hand, it has much more character and substance than Terrapin's rye driven pale ale. I wish the malt was a little firmer, and not quite so light and sweet, but the hops are spot on and the rye notes are very nice. A solid beer. On this trip to Birmingham, I was determined to drink only Alabama brews- a fools errand just a few years ago- and this was a nice waystation on that successful journey. I'd love to try more from this brewery. Kudos!

Georgiabeer, Jul 24, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

harpus, Jan 03, 2013
3.81/5  rDev +16.2%

Had it on tap at the blue Pants Brewery Tap Room.

Appearance: A nice orangy-wheat color with a fair size head.

Smell: Faint floral smell with a grainy second waft. Not a whole lot going on beyond that.

Taste: Well put together. A much more bright flavor than I was expecting with shades of everything from tangerine to rosemary. All of it is brought together with a nice blend of hops, none of which overpower the other.

Mouthfeel: Some ryes are overpowered with carbonation, but not this. This is a smooth, almost creamy rye that drinks more easily than a rye has any right to!

Overall: This is my second favorite Blue Pants brew, only behind the Pinstripe Stout. It's a good "entry" rye for anyone looking for a good all-around, inoffensive, enjoyable, drinkable rye.

FliryVorru, Oct 12, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Poured a deep usty orange color with a 1/4 dirty white cap, some bubbles and moderate lacing

S: Very light rye bread, a dash of pepper and citrus and flower basket

T: A nice, subtle orange peel and rye blend upfront with perhaps a light caramel backing. Mid sip is a bit subtle, smooth and sweet. the finish is a little bitter with rye and underlying citrus

M: Light to medium bodies, a little thin and slightly oily

O: Not a bad beer. I would like to have seen a little more hop punch to balance this Rye IPA

barleywinefiend, Aug 01, 2012