Single Batch Series - Barleywine - Sebago Brewing Company

Sebago Brewing Company visit their website
United States

American Barleywine |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: barleywinebrewer on 05-01-2008

This beer is a blend of Old World influence and modern day ingredients and technique. Domestic malt and distinctly American hops produce this rich, full bodied ale. On top of it all, this beer was barrel-aged in charred oak bourbon barrels for over eight months. The end result is an unfiltered dark ruby colored ale with very intense aromatics.

This bottle was a late 2011/early 2012 I think

Bomber poured into my Smuttynose tulip.

A-Light brown, hazy body with moderate, off-white, bubbly head with moderate lacing

S-Lots of bourbony deliciousness. Vanilla and oak and caramel and booze. Hoppiness is existent, but I think a year in the cellar has tamed that a bit. Quite sweet smelling as well.

T-Fairly bourbon forward, despite the year on it. This is a good thing though. This beer is mega-smooth and balanced. The American hops have toned down a bit. The bourbon gives way to a vanilla, toffee, and caramel (among other things) taste that is just fantastic.

M- Medium to low carbonation. Aftertaste dissipates fairly quickly. Smooth as hell though.

O-Just outstanding. Truly a standout beer from an underrated brewery. This barley wine is up there with the Sucabas and the CW BBBWs of the world, probably even better. The next bottle is going to get drank side by side to a Sucaba. I think this one will win out. I hope Sebago makes this one again soon. I can't praise this beer enough.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

this is my 6th or 7th bottle of this... 9 left in the cellar, a few going out to friends, so my stock is dwindling. I looorve this beer.

pours an amber color with a sandy tan head... one or two fingers, minimal lacing. good legs.

nose is sweet caramel/toffee. Delightful. About 6 months after bottling and we've mellowed in the nose a bit.

the taste is splendid. Candied figs, bourbon, vanilla and caramel taffy. This has mellowed a bit, although it was never too hot. Hops have vanished, although I don't remember them being too strong... this is a beer I want to drizzle on vanilla bean ice cream.

No way this feels like 12.5%. 10, tops. Smooth is an understatement. Ok, maybe a bit of heat, but it works with the flavors as an accent, not a detractor. I could drink this fast, but I want to savor every drop.

Sleeper beer of the year, 2012. This one kicks fucking ass. Sebago, brew more, or else. Or else.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

date of tasting: 4/2/2013
type: ale
style: barleywine
abv: 12.5%
ibu: 60
glass: mug w/appearance test in tasting glass
temperature of beer: 55F

Appearance: rich copper, quite opaque. Head pours rich and heavy

Smell: first hit: coconut and rum, not to be confused with cloyingly sweet coconut rum but like someone took some really good white rum and poured it into a coconut (kind of like the vodka and watermelon everyone used to do back in college) and let it sit for a few days. Then I get a little shot of pineapple and vanilla, the vanilla hits you like a brick once you notice it. Very faint oaky/charred wood. Butterscotch maltiness is also there in every whiff.

Taste: oh-my butterscotch, almost marshmallow-like vanilla, hops are ever so slight they just kind of dance in the background reminding you that they are there. There is a hint of fresh cut grass that kind of just lies back like it’s all lazy and whatnot.

Mouthfeel: creamy, chewy, smooth, moderately heavy bodied.

Overall Impression: So happy I got to try this beer. The bourbon barrels really add some beautiful vanilla and smoothness that is really just wonderful. The beer itself is sweet as I would expect a barleywine would be, yet its not over the top, I can have a beer or two and not feel like I just stumbled out of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory (though I may still be stumbling with the 12.5%abv). So this was a 2011 vintage. We are now well into 2013. I am sure it has rounded itself out and become even smoother than it was originally. I would love to have tried this when it was released just to see the difference. I am curious what flavors have changed since then. Is the butterscotch now more pronounced? Were the hops more pronounced originally? The alcohol isn’t even a little perceivable, it just kind of hits you, as Martha Stewart always says “It’s a good thing”.

Food Pairings: steak, like a ribeye charred hard with an olive oil herb dressing. Blue cheese crackers and sopprassata. strawberry shortcake with an orange bourbon cream.

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%

Thank you Reagan1984 for this wonderful beer.

A - pours a cloudy murky brown. Beer slightly laces, and head is minimal, but long lasting.

S - oh my. There are few beers that have that aroma that grab you by the horns and pull you in. This, is one of them. So much going on in the nose. I first notice a strong prescence of barrel, and sweet whisky. A further whiff reveals some sweet fruits such as plum and strawberry oddly. Just fantastic.

T - sweet malt begins the flavor journey. I pick up hints of caramel and brown sugar. The bourbon flavor itself is a little subdued, but vanilla flavors from the barrel shine nicely. Slight oak and sugar finish the flavor profile. Alcohol is almost unnoticed.

M - creamy and smooth. Sticky mouthfeel as well. Just wonderful.

O - one of my favorite Barleywines of all time. I'm not the biggest Fan of the style either. This beer further pushes my interest into the BA Barleywines. I know I have a lot more to try, but this sets my bar. Thanks Greg.

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%

Had this on tap at Mikro in Hamden, CT while visiting a friend.

Pour: It was poured into a Maudite snifter. The color was dark caramel brown with a hint of amber. The head was light tan with moderate lacing.

Smell: Smells of slight sweet pineapple, caramel and hints of raisin.

Taste: Smooth sweet raisin and slight hints of caramel with a slight bourbon finish. There was mild hop character as well. Absolutely delicious.

Mouth feel: Thick with a very smooth, clean finish. Leaves you lingering and wanting for more. Nary a hint of alcohol burn.

Drinkability: Very high. I had to order another! This is a fantastic offering from Sebago. I even lucked out and found a pile of them stashed at the local store the next day! We will see how it tastes out of the bottle...and aged.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Bomber served in a snifter. Big thanks to Davey101 for this hidden gem!

A - Pours a deep, murky reddish brown. Minimal head. Looks like a BA Barleywine ;)

S - Immediately hit with a faint smell of bourbon which dissipates into loads of caramel and brown sugar. Smells excellent!

T - Up front the bourbon barrel comes through, but in the mid and back the sweet dark fruits, caramel, and toffee take over. No bitterness to be found. Your taste buds beg you to take another sip. Outstanding stuff!

M - Moderate carbonation. No heat to be found. If I didn't know better, I would have been shocked it was 12.5%. Very drinkable.

O - This is an outstanding BA Barleywine. Probably the most underrated beer I've ever had.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

22 oz bomber into a tulip glass. 2011 vintage. I grabbed a few more bottles. One of them was legible enough on the printed neck date to read "Bottled 10 28 11"

A - Very clear dark red body. Pour yields a dirty and creamy khaki head with large bubbles. Light lacing, but thick alcohol legs.

S - Candied raisins, toffee, brown sugar, oak, and some light vanilla. Very smooth and warming, The bourbon presence is rather light but provides a very subtle contribution to some solid english style barley wine notes, No hop presence what so ever.

T - Rich dark fruits, caramel and toffee, brown sugar and very light piney hops. This is amazingly delicious. The bourbon is again rather light but present in some faint oak and vanilla notes.

M - Medium bodied with a low level of carbonation. Lets talk about the alcohol content. 12.5%...I had no idea. Its just so smooth, there is literally no alcohol presence.

O - This beer is beyond impressive. Zero hype, reasonable price, and a shelf beer. I honestly think it can go head to head against the titans of barrel aged barley-wines (King Henry, Abacus, Naked Evil, etc). It probably wouldn't beat them out, but it sure as hell would give them a scare. Furthermore, its refreshing to see a beer sit in a barrel for only three months versus a year or so. The bourbon notes are balanced and subtle. Perfection, honestly.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

From their limited 22oz bottles.

I had a conversation with one of the peeps at Sebago and they said this recipe differed from the original barleywine they put on-tap a couple years ago. Not quite sure, but I don't think their first batch was barrel aged either, whereas this version was aged in bourbon barrels for at least 8 months. I've had the new version on-tap a few occasions now but I've decided to review the bottled product.

Pours a deep copper/amber color with a thin wispy head, slight tan color to it, leaves a cap on it for pretty much the entire time.

Smell is hugely aromatic, I'm talking a huge caramel malt presence with pronounce bourbon notes, it's not hot or overwhelming but makes itself known, bit of vanilla and other dark fruit, the bourbon really complements and just lends that extra bit of complexity.

Taste is smooth and creamy, I feel a bit of the strength in the aftertaste but it isn't a huge burn, more like a warming sensation but it does become more noticeable as the beer warms up, the caramel melds very nicely with a bit of bourbon, not a bourbon bomb in any regard.

The barrel aging really did wonders with this barleywine, I'm not sure what else changed in the recipe, if anything at all, either way it's a marked improvement. I can see this being even better with some more age on it. Guess I'll need to go grab a few more bottles to hold onto, the wait was definitely worth it. Guess I'll have to bug Kai about something other than this now...

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2014 bottle poured into snifter

A: fairly good clarity, brownish red tint not much head but soapy quality to it

S: butterscotch, toffee, vanilla

T: very similar to the nose you can get a rush of hops but it is crushed by the vanilla, toffee quite quickly can taste the alcohol decent amount of heat a little nutty on the end and a little bit of a sourish aftertaste

M: tingly lays on the tongue a bit but not syrupy

O: interesting and impressive the look with that amazing clarity had me thinking this was going to be tasteless but it's amazing love it with the toffee and vanilla the hops are very dialed down or the barrel has overwhelmed them quite impressively except for the little bit of heat this beer is amazing

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Bomber into a Duvel tulip. Split with another BA.

A: Translucent red-amber body under a solid cap of fine tan head. Nice lace. Attractive.

S: Smooth, rich, and supple: vanilla, oak, bourbon, and toffee. So simple, so incredibly enjoyable. I could inhale this for hours. Wow.

T: Very oaky, with vanilla and bourbon leading in to toffee and booze. Great, but a little less smooth than the impeccable aroma.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation. Fine.

O: What a terrific beer - and for only $9 a bomber! As soon as I took my first sniff of this bottle I made up my mind to buy at least a few more. This is a top-notch BBBW, plain and simple. It doesn't have any truly memorable features (like King Henry's stout nuances, Kuhnhenn BBBW's crazy earthiness, etc), but it delivers spiritous sweetness with the best of them. Everyone should seek out this beer, and Sebago should change their minds about the whole "single batch" thing.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a giant snifter. This one pours a dark mahogany with about an inch of rocky beige head. Nice soapy lace.

Nice rich aroma here. Boozy caramel sweetness with hints of chocolate and raisins. Hints of oak with sweet toffee rounding this out. No doubt about it this one is sweet for sure. Butterscotch and toffee on the pallet with a nice fig and raisin profile. Nice big malts with chocolate flavors in the background.

The body is full and chewy with soft carbonation.

Thanks for putting this one in barrels Sebago, I'm simply in love.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle received via trade with woosterbill. Thanks Will!

A - Pours a beautiful clear deep amber with a half finger of tan head. Not much head retention, and only small spots of lacing.

S - Smell is a harmonious blend of caramel, toffee, vanilla, oak and some dark fruits. A bit of noticeable alcohol in the aroma, but not distracting.

T - Again, lots of caramel and toffee, with some dark dried fruits, faint hop bitterness, some vanilla and oak. Finshes with a pretty significant oak component that is quite drying. Very nice.

M - Medium/full mouthfeel starts off slightly sweet, but oak tannins soon dominate and lead to a very dry finish.

O - This is an excellent barrel-aged barleywine and the first offering I have had from Sebago. It isn't quite in the class of King Henry, but easily one of the most enjoyable barleywines I've had. Over time, the barrel taste gets a bit too strong, but I would love to have this again.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle opened on 10.18.12.

A - Pours a dark, cloudy and fizzy brown with a very thin light tan head that moves to the edges quickly.

S - Sweet dark fruit, carmel, and some booze.

T - Toffee, carmel, vanilla, coconut. Amazing.

D - Decent carbonation with a medium body. A nice sweet finish.

O - Great layers and falvors. Really enjoyed this one.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle chilled and poured into two pint glasses. Split with a friend.

Appearance: Dark caramel brown in color with a nice, pillowy beige head. Pretty good retention as well.

Aroma: The barrel notes are definitely there, but there is also a really nice base beer. Toasted nuts, toffee, caramel, and some bittering hops. The barrel gives off some nice bourbon and vanilla that matches well with the hazelnut aspect of the beer.

Taste: Bourbon and vanilla upfront mix well with a sherry type note from the base barleywine. The hop character is definitely stronger than I expected from the aroma but matches really well with the barrel. Really nice caramel and molasses notes backing throughout. A really nicely balanced and complex version of an American style barleywine that is barrel aged.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and very smooth. Really easy to drink.

Overall, an awesome barrel aged barleywine and by far the best beer I've ever had from Sebago. A really affordable and tasty option that I definitely plan on picking up more of. The barrel treatment and the base blend really nicely. Possibly the best version of an American style barleywine I've had that was barrel aged.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

A huge thanks to Dajtai007 who, as a fellow maltmaven brother, felt that I needed to try this.

A: A lovely burnished copper, translucent body. Not much head, but hey, it's a friggin' barleywine.

S: A delightful toffee and vanilla scent is predominant. Interestingly, I also detect some subdued tropical fruit notes, which in combination with the strong malts remind me of a wheatwine. There may be a bit of spice from the barrel aging in there as well.

T: The start is the hardest part to describe. It is sweet, but it somehow hides in the back of my mouth so that I can't describe it that well. In the middle, the rich malts come in, giving me those delightful butterscotch and toffee notes which have made me such a fan of this style. A bit of tropical fruits, spice from the barrel aging, and a touch of heat come in towards the finish. Not much of an aftertaste.

M: Smooth and just the right heaviness, so that while feeling full, I don't have to push myself to keep taking sips.

D: For a barleywine, I would say pretty good. I absolutely would not drink another bomber of this, but I think I could still enjoy a few sips.

Delightful. Not quite world class, as the taste didn't have the depth, but a delicious beer that any fans of this style would very much enjoy sipping. Though I did taste a bit of wood, I didn't really get much in the way of bourbon. The alcohol level was barely detectable.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

When I put this beer down three years ago in 2010, I knew it would turn into something special. I've never been so happy to be so right! I loved this beer fresh, but three years in Sebago's bourbon barrel aged barley wine is easily the best barrel aged barley wine I've ever had.

Deep rich toffee with a vanilla and burnt caramel finish. The bourbon barrel aging really comes out in force here. Even my belches have hits of awesomeness. Fresh, this beer tasted like a barley wine. Aged three years, it's just like an old ale.

Sebago has outdone itself with this fabulous offering. I hope they decide to brew it again because they've hit the nail on the head with this one.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

thanks to surge1311 for trading me a bottle!

poured into tulip glass.

bottle date 10/20/2011.

Appearance: copper bodied beer with a light reddish hue. Almost 2 fingers of light tan head that leaves a nice sticky lace on the glass just a little better than spotty lace.

Smell: dark fruits, caramel, toffee, and brown sugar. It smells a little bit boozey, tannic, and vinious.

Taste: dark fruits(mostly figs and dates), dry and woody oak, vanilla, toasty coconut, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, toffee, mild leather and tobacco notes. The bourbon is well integrated into the malt profile. Such nice balance and complexity!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. This beer is super smooth mellow, and creamy. I think that this vintage has an ABV of 12.5% and it drinks like its 8 to 9%. Not a hint of booze!

Overall: This is a really great beer. Its doesnt happen too often that you find a really awesome shelf beer that has both quality and a great price point. This beer really evolved as it got warmer. Honestly, this beer is at its best once its above cellar temperature, dont even bother putting this beer in the fridge. A real class act beer here, just a showstopper!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked this up in Connecticut and was so pleasantly surprised by it. Truth be told, I have not been the biggest fan of Sebago products. This is definitely an exception.

Light brown amber color, thin head that fades quickly and little/no lace.

Aroma is coconut, vanilla and sweet caramel.

I think the flavor is wonderful. Definitely sweet and the same notes from the aroma are in the flavor. Lots of coconut and vanilla. Below this is a nice sweet caramel flavor. Just a touch of warming from the ABV, but not hot at all. A bot of toastiness in the malt flavor.

A touch sticky and fairly bold.

Nice little beer and one I’ll look for again down the road.

22 oz. bottle.

Clear, sparkling crimson-garnet body. Finger of semi-thick, dirty beige head. Some lacing. Rich, malty notes of caramel, toffee, tobacco, and rummy fruits. Woody, bourbony notes of vanilla and oak. Big and decadent and very inviting.

Toasted malt and herbal, woody hop bitterness up front. Big fruit and caramel and toffee malt sweetness balloons and takes over. Rummy fruit sweetness slowly melds with woody, tannic, vanilla, and coconut bourbon flavors near the finish. Woody, herbal hop bitterness in the finish, along with lots of lingering fruit malt, bourbon, and coconut. Warming, quite, but not hot. Full bodied with a thick, creamy feel. Very nicely done and dangerously drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This comes in a proper snifter, a very dark mahogany color with a fair fizzy light tan head and modest lace. It smells like herbal hops and horshound, toffee and malt brandy, pretty complex, very nice. The taste is strong alcohol and brown bread, again somewhat brandy-like. Contrary to the note on this profile page, I believe the post at the bar was that this is actually 12% ABV. I also noted some sharp grass in the back. It feels mildly oily with very fine, tingly carbonation. I'd say this is generally a sipper but it's quite distinctive. Nice effort.

Update from 09-11-08 visit, downtown Portland;
A dark chestnut brown color with a blotchy tan head and similar lacing throughout. The aroma is sweet malt licorice, deep and luscious. The flavor brings a hardy and sharp apple and malt with plenty of alcohol warmth and merriment. It is quite sweet and tart. Pretty much a sipper in my book but it does grow on you as you move through it. Overall a similar grade to my previous taste. Very nice.
Well here's my 2011 update and what an improvement.Many of the same flavor qualities but I find this is much more balance and drinkable than my previous experience. And appearances upgrade to great lacing and a decent head. Though it remains fairly intense, this latest version is sweet but so tasty. It has a cough medicine quality, like Dr. Pepper with plenty of fruit and nutty oak bourbon ideas. Very enjoyable!

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

thanks to gary for hooking up this delicacy. enjoyed from my maine brewing co wine glass.

a - brew poured a transparent caramel plum color with a thin cream colored head that dissipated rather quickly.

s - REALLY nice. big toffee and caramel with a wonderful hint of oaky bourbon. smells fantastic.

t - bourbon is much more present in the flavor (not that it is hidden in the nose mind you). the blend is really spot on though. toffee and caramel is strong and present...i'm surprised this is considered an american barley, although, not sure when this was brewed, but there is no hop presence...but i like it! really tasty.

m - smooth with a slight tingle.

o - overall, this is a sleeper. shocked you don't hear more about it. can definitely hang with the big boys and probably beat one or two in a blind taste test. worth checking out, thanks gary...really solid pull!

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

22oz bomber poured into DFH snifter.

Appearance: Dark ruby brown floats into the glass, finger and a half of off-white head. Lacing is very spotted and head has nice thin staying power.

Smell: Toffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, caramel malt. Very nice.

Taste: Wow. Impressively well blended and balanced with toffee, vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar. The bourbon is in your face and provides a bit of heat, but it's really not over the top at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-full bodied and chewy. Carb is adequate.

Drinkability: I'm questioning if this is really as low as 9.2%, but if that's accurate, then bomber down the hatch… so smooth and drinkable.

Overall: This is a stunner. Sebago makes some solid (if unspectacular) beers and definitely flies under the radar. I've had some of the barrel-aged one-offs at the brewpub before, but this is their best beer, and also one of the best sub-$10 barrel aged bombers of anything I've ever had. I only picked up two bottles - wish I had more!

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Got this bottle as a extra from hiphopipa - Huge Thanks Hollie !

Poured from bottle into a Bruery Tulip - 2011 series .

A: Pours a medium golden brown with a half finger head that descends into a thin frothy lacing ,decent carbonation.

S: Vanilla, caramel/toffee , bourbon, sweet / sugar , slight fruit.

T: "Wow" am I impressed , this BA Barleywine hits all the flavors you would expect in a BA Barleywine , Bourbon , smooth vanilla notes followed by a nice slightly sweet caramel /toffee ,some slight fig and ever so slight hops .

O: Overall I would drink this beer every day if given the chance, I think it could hold it's own against any BA Barleywine out there with the exception of King Henry -
A real surprise for a beer you never hear anything about , The abv% is kept in check and hardly noticeable , I am definitely going to try and land a few more of these, good thing I have friends and family in Maine - I need more.
Highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

A big thanks to HopStoopid120 for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a nice ruddy mahogany color. About a finger of slight tan head is achieved with a moderate pour.

Smell – Heavy vanilla, toffee, and caramel. Slight bourbon and oak. Very nice.

Taste – Wow. The creamy vanilla and bourbon flavors come up front. Then comes the oak and legitimate real toffee flavor mixed with just the faintest of dark cocoa. Finishes with caramel and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel – A very smooth, creamy medium body. Medium to low carbonation that is spot on.

Overall – Well hell. This is one of the better extra’s I have ever received in relation to taste. A fantastic barleywine and honestly one I will seek more out of.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

I don't think I could have chosen a better beer for my first review. Let me first note that the label that states "aged in bourbon barrels" is an apt description of the ale contained therein. Pours with a slightly sweet and pungent bourbon scent. Beautiful dark brown color, and the taste to back up the aroma. If you enjoy the occasional small batch bourbon as I do, this is a truly exceptional beer with similar flavors, mouthfeel, and scent. I can honestly say I've never had any beer like this before; not that I've never had beer which was aged in bourbon barrels before, but none have ever been of this caliber. If you like good bourbon (wild turkey does NOT count!) and good ales, give this a try. This is definately a sipper. It's not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy this brew, but I thought the 24oz. bottle was a little overpowering for one person to drink w/o food.

I'll be headed back to Tully's beer and wine in Wells, ME for several more bottles. The $9-odd price tag for a standard 24 ounce "big bottle" is well worth it. I hope to make it to Sebago's brew pub in South Portland (or Scarborough (it's on the town line and I never can tell just which town it's in) to give this a try on tap if it's available.

Single Batch Series - Barleywine from Sebago Brewing Company