1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Single Batch Series - Barleywine - Sebago Brewing Company

Single Batch Series - BarleywineSingle Batch Series - Barleywine

Sebago Brewing Company visit their website
United States

American Barleywine |  9.20% ABV

This beer is a blend of Old World influence and modern day ingredients and technique. Domestic malt and distinctly American hops produce this rich, full bodied ale. On top of it all, this beer was barrel-aged in charred oak bourbon barrels for over eight months. The end result is an unfiltered dark ruby colored ale with very intense aromatics.

(Beer added by: barleywinebrewer on 05-01-2008)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 120 | Reviews: 62 | Show All Ratings:
Gobzilla

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bomber shared by torino at woodshop 5.1

Poured a dark syrupy brown with a thi head that left very little sticky lacing on the glass. Nice bourbon and caramel aromas dominate the nose with booze and brown sugar and dark fruit notes. Really boozy bourbon and caramel flavors up front with brown sugar and vanilla accents. The beer was full bodied with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet and boozy finish. I definitely enjoy creative brewed beers like this even though it was pretty boozy. It went down pretty good considering the ABV.

06-29-2010 00:40:27 | More by Gobzilla
womencantsail

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a finger or so worth of off-white head.

S: A nice note of caramel, toffee, and burnt sugar up front. The barrel is subtle, but does provide a nice vanilla note that blends nicely with the sugary characteristics of the beer.

T: Quite a bit of caramel and burnt sugar up front along with a touch of alcohol. Not too much in the way of fruitiness, but some nice barrel and bourbon notes.

M: Medium bodied with a pretty decent level of carbonation for a barrel aged barleywine.

D: A very nice beer indeed. I was looking forward to trying this one and it did not disappoint.

06-27-2010 07:26:06 | More by womencantsail
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Bourbon Barley Wines are usually a train wreck, being too hot and blended terribly. This one is tasting great right now, but with a year on it will be incredible.

The appearance is a very solid dark ruby color that poured with a one finger white head. It has a very thick ABV leg that reminds me of a fine wine. This thing is thick, and looks like its been in a barrel for a while.

The smell is compiled of sweet caramel malts, bourbon, vanilla, candy sugar, raisins, amazing. Smells delicious.

The taste is solid, and although a little thick and hot, is a great after dinner drink. Booze, caramel, raisins, sugar, plums, bourbon, really sweet. It has lots of complexities that are getting ready to explode. Time is going to be a friend of this one.

The mouthfeel was hot and fairly boozy. It was a sipper and took me a minute to finish the bottle. Pretty interesting beer that I thought was enjoyable.

Cheers
J

05-12-2010 23:24:45 | More by Jmoore50
deltatauhobbit

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

From their limited 22oz bottles.

I had a conversation with one of the peeps at Sebago and they said this recipe differed from the original barleywine they put on-tap a couple years ago. Not quite sure, but I don't think their first batch was barrel aged either, whereas this version was aged in bourbon barrels for at least 8 months. I've had the new version on-tap a few occasions now but I've decided to review the bottled product.

Pours a deep copper/amber color with a thin wispy head, slight tan color to it, leaves a cap on it for pretty much the entire time.

Smell is hugely aromatic, I'm talking a huge caramel malt presence with pronounce bourbon notes, it's not hot or overwhelming but makes itself known, bit of vanilla and other dark fruit, the bourbon really complements and just lends that extra bit of complexity.

Taste is smooth and creamy, I feel a bit of the strength in the aftertaste but it isn't a huge burn, more like a warming sensation but it does become more noticeable as the beer warms up, the caramel melds very nicely with a bit of bourbon, not a bourbon bomb in any regard.

The barrel aging really did wonders with this barleywine, I'm not sure what else changed in the recipe, if anything at all, either way it's a marked improvement. I can see this being even better with some more age on it. Guess I'll need to go grab a few more bottles to hold onto, the wait was definitely worth it. Guess I'll have to bug Kai about something other than this now...

04-30-2010 23:36:15 | More by deltatauhobbit
Brez07

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Brooklyn tulip

A: Dark red/brown with 1 finger off white head. Scant lacing at the top of the glass

S: Wow, that's a pretty potent bourbon smell. I can already tell this needs some aging. I had it on tap a while back so I'm not sure why I thought the bottle would be much different. There is some vanilla/coconut present as well

T: Oh my, this is tasty. The bourbon barrel leaves a wonderful vanilla flavor that mixes with the malts. Hint of spice and caramel. There's a nice warm feeling after each sip. However, alcohol is rather large. Good sweetness in the finish

M: Smooth and creamy. Very slight bitterness from the hops. As mentioned above, I get a nice warm feeling following each sip which I attribute to the bourbon

D: Nice, slow sipper. While this beer is great now, it definitely needs to time to sit. I can only imagine how wonderful this will be in a year or so. Grab two if you can - one for now and one for later

04-29-2010 21:44:50 | More by Brez07
TMoney2591

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to andrewinski1 for this one!

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

When the garnet was first forged by the hands of the gods, they were confident that nothing could match its chromatic beauty. Strangely, though, their foresight has been proven to have been quite weak in this area. Case in point: Sebago Single Batch Barleywine. The pour's divine combination of rich browns and hearty reds apes the garnet's majesty perfectly (or, is it the other way 'round...?). Hell, I'd make a ring out of a solid form of this barleywine, I tell you what. Mirroring this lovely amalgam is the nose, which sweetly combines a sharp hoppy pine with a rich caramel maltiness, while throwing in some toffee and molasses for good measure. Ah, the generosity... When the tongue gets hold of this nectar, molasses, maple syrup, caramel, light smoke, and a hint of oak blitz from up front. Following quickly thereafter a sharp caramel leads the hop brigade, bringing along a nicely harsh bittersness, a piney citrus as sharp as the bitterness, and an intimation of lemon. It all meshes together in the mouth as it coats the tongue below very well, thick and juicy, yet somehow smooth enough to preclude malingering. Dionysus be praised, the gods have another brew to keep by their cloudy sides.

03-31-2010 03:53:27 | More by TMoney2591
lordofthewiens

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up a bottle of this at Tully's the other day. After tasting it, I'll be back for more. In a tulip glass the beer was a deep reddish brown, kind of claret colored. It had a very scant head. Aroma of toffee and bourbon, with a hint of vanilla. Great taste of toffee, oak, and bourbon. The 9% ABV was noticeable but not intrusive. An incredibly smooth mouthfeel, very drinkable.

03-24-2010 11:53:21 | More by lordofthewiens
distichlis

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

I don't think I could have chosen a better beer for my first review. Let me first note that the label that states "aged in bourbon barrels" is an apt description of the ale contained therein. Pours with a slightly sweet and pungent bourbon scent. Beautiful dark brown color, and the taste to back up the aroma. If you enjoy the occasional small batch bourbon as I do, this is a truly exceptional beer with similar flavors, mouthfeel, and scent. I can honestly say I've never had any beer like this before; not that I've never had beer which was aged in bourbon barrels before, but none have ever been of this caliber. If you like good bourbon (wild turkey does NOT count!) and good ales, give this a try. This is definately a sipper. It's not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy this brew, but I thought the 24oz. bottle was a little overpowering for one person to drink w/o food.

I'll be headed back to Tully's beer and wine in Wells, ME for several more bottles. The $9-odd price tag for a standard 24 ounce "big bottle" is well worth it. I hope to make it to Sebago's brew pub in South Portland (or Scarborough (it's on the town line and I never can tell just which town it's in) to give this a try on tap if it's available.

03-23-2010 02:23:52 | More by distichlis
albern

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

I had this at the American Craft beer festival and it was one of my favorites. It isn't your typical barley wine and the appearance alone says why. This is the frothiest, most carbonated, least syrupy Barleywine that I've probably had, and that's a good thing. The head is thick, the beer is cloudy (another distinguishing characteristic), and the aroma is sweet malt, oaky, rum like, and citrus. The head also has a tawny white color almost a copper rust color that is unique. The taste has a very unique coconut flavor, with a rummy pineapple, maybe bourbon soaked fruitiness as well. This beer hits all the right notes, but it is strong. There is a bit of a throaty alcohol burn to the beer, and the high ABV is only masked over to a point. You will know your drinking a strong brew no doubt. The brewer in my conversation with him wanted to hide some of the strong ABV, and succeeded but only to a point. The aftertaste was not lingering but the beer is substantial well into the finish. This beer hits all the right notes and is well worth seeking out, which I will in bottle form. L'Chaim.

06-22-2008 16:58:47 | More by albern
Durge

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This comes in a proper snifter, a very dark mahogany color with a fair fizzy light tan head and modest lace. It smells like herbal hops and horshound, toffee and malt brandy, pretty complex, very nice. The taste is strong alcohol and brown bread, again somewhat brandy-like. Contrary to the note on this profile page, I believe the post at the bar was that this is actually 12% ABV. I also noted some sharp grass in the back. It feels mildly oily with very fine, tingly carbonation. I'd say this is generally a sipper but it's quite distinctive. Nice effort.

Update from 09-11-08 visit, downtown Portland;
A dark chestnut brown color with a blotchy tan head and similar lacing throughout. The aroma is sweet malt licorice, deep and luscious. The flavor brings a hardy and sharp apple and malt with plenty of alcohol warmth and merriment. It is quite sweet and tart. Pretty much a sipper in my book but it does grow on you as you move through it. Overall a similar grade to my previous taste. Very nice.
Well here's my 2011 update and what an improvement.Many of the same flavor qualities but I find this is much more balance and drinkable than my previous experience. And appearances upgrade to great lacing and a decent head. Though it remains fairly intense, this latest version is sweet but so tasty. It has a cough medicine quality, like Dr. Pepper with plenty of fruit and nutty oak bourbon ideas. Very enjoyable!

05-24-2008 03:01:13 | More by Durge
blackkristos

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

I was really pleasantly surprised by how excellent this is. I had seen it on the board, but I am normally not much of a fan of Barlywine. After a bit of good selling by the waitress, I gave it a go.

A - A nice red color with very little white head.

S - certainly caramel. So much so that I thought it may be too sweet

T - I found it not as sweet as it smelled, but the caramel was indeed strong.

M - Full body with soft carbonation. The sweetness is not quite so prominent.

D - A great sipping beer served in a very nice snifter. I did not have another, but would have if not for the 2 beers previous.

05-10-2008 18:36:42 | More by blackkristos
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

I first heard about this last year on this site and wanted to try it but did not manage to get into portland when it was available. This trip netted 2 glasses of this nice barleywine.

A - rich amber red color, touch of orange at the edges with a soft off white head which quickly settles to a light ring around the edge
S - caramel malts, light citric hops dominate. Tough to tell too much as we were in the bar area with lot's of aromas in the air.
T - crisp light citric hops with a complimentary caramel malt backing. Not over the top with the hops but enough to say not an EBW.
M - medium full body, nice soft carbonation, some heat, good finish.
D - I went back for seconds. Really nice sipper on tap! Sadly, no bottles to go.

05-01-2008 12:41:06 | More by barleywinebrewer