Full Throttle Double IPA - Sebago Brewing Company

Sebago Brewing Company visit their website
United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-07-2009

Big juicy American hops burst from this unfiltered deep amber ale. The caramel sweetness takes a backseat only to the abundance of citrusy, piney flavors and aromas. Dominated by Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Falconer's Flight hops, our double IPA has been dry-hopped for over a month.

2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

An extra in a small trade, I always get excited about unknown beers from far away lands, like dancing fairies on my doorstep. I do not say the following words as an insult to the trading partner, for he is a good man and the rest of the beers rocked.

I pour it in two glasses, its orange. Thats just weird. Not amber, not red, but orange. The smell, its hops, Lots of hops. The taste? well, it's interesting.

There is a huge malt sweetness. I like a sweeter DIPA, but this thing has a sugary sweetness on top of the expected malt sweetness. Then there is a hop bit slamming my mouth, but its not distinct hops, just amorphous non-floral non-citrus non-pine bitter hops. That's all livable, but it follows with an aftertaste of sugarfree orange sherbet. Its pretty awe-inspiringly gross.

I poured out the rest. Perhaps the worst beer I have had this year aside from the backyard aged Miller Highlife.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Allagash tulip glass. Bought as part of a four pack for cheap considering that this is a DIPA and is over 8%.

Appearance: Orange brown, reminds me of fall in New England. Lots of sediment floating around the glass, but the beer is far from opaque. Two finger beige, pillowy head recedes nicely into a thin lacing and leaves some foam along the glass as it recedes.

Aroma: Stinging, astrigent (almost medicinal) pine hop aromas are strong, but not as dominant as you might expect. They are a little harsh on the nose though. Some sweet, almost fruity, malt rounds out the aroma, but doesn't make up for the unpleasant hop aroma.

Taste: Hops are here, but this feels nothing like a DIPA. Neither the hops nor the malt take center stage. Both seem to be here in equal proportion. The hops need to play a bigger role here. Most of the initial hop flavor is just some medicinal pine notes. The only place I feel the hops is in the aftertaste. Here there is finally some nice bitter hops. the malt is nice here though. Nice round, sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel: Here I have another problem. I want my IPAs to be crisp and bright. The mouthfeel here is too syrupy and does not lighten the flavors at all. This counters the flavors of teh beer which are light and crisp.

Drinkability: Flavors are light and unoffensive, and the ABV is managable for a DIPA, but nothing draws me to keep drinking this. The flavor is straightforward and overall, I don't love the flavor profile.

Overall, a weak DIPA thats more like an IPA. Flavor profile is average and its not as refreshing as it should be. A myriad of contradictions here, but its still drinkable and with some nice malt notes. The hops could play a much bigger role.

3.09/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: Poured a dark amber, slightly cloudy. 1 finger slightly off white head, with decent retention; it soon levels off to a few mm thick coating. Very nice lacing all the way down.

Smell: Very strong hop fragrance at first, but subsequent smells are weaker. Sweet and syrupy. Very juicelike, with a strong grape smell. Deeper down are some darker, slightly smoky malts. Alcohol is also present. A slightly off fragrance.

Taste: Strong alcohol bite, both at the front on the tongue and at the end on the back of the throat. Strong hop taste, but the flavors are indistinct. Sweet and syrupy. Also with the strong hops come a slightly soapy taste. Some malts at the end, but nothing special.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer, with a big alcohol bite. Big.

Drinkability: A decent DIPA, but not great. The alcohol bite is a bite too strong and not well hidden. The hops are strong, but indescript. Sort of just hits you hard, without an subtlety. I didn’t mind drinking this one, but I probably won’t have this again.

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

After two weeks in the fridge, there was still a lot of loose sediment that resulted in about 2 oz of murky beer. Stopping the pour before this produced a mostly clear, coppery beer with a thin cap and collar of very fine, beige bubbles. Sticky sheets and streaks of lace, good head retention for what was present after the pour. Grainy cereal aroma, light citrus hop character, slight alcohol. Same in the flavour, but with moderate bitterness and a bit of burnt caramel and lingering hop flavour and bitterness. Lowish carbonation, full bodied, smooth and on the creamy side as far as texture goes. It seemed uninspired. If the flavours and aromas, particularly of the hops, were more bright then this would be a much better beer.

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

The pansy known as number1bum gave this one to me in our most recent trade...learn how to not be a complete moron.

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic. No freshness date anywhere that I could see which I'm not a fan of when it comes to DIPA's.

Pours a murky orange/brown with a two finger off-white head. A fair amount of stick holds on to the sides of the glass throughout tasting. The nose wasn't what I was hoping for. Syrupy hops, caramel malts, and gritty earth. Some pine underneath, but this one is really lacking in the aroma for the style. Taste is pretty similar to the smell. Muted hops, sugary malts, and toasted grains. Once again, this is not what a DIPA should be, even for an East coast version. Medium to full body with a somewhat creamy feel. Average carbonation with a dry aftertaste. I don't know if this beer is well past its prime, or just a poorly made DIPA...either way I'm not liking this beer. If I could find somekind of dating on the bottle I would review accordingly, but since I can't, this one gets a poor rating. Thanks a lot Josh, you're worthless. Luckily I have a Stegmaier Brewhouse Bock on deck to save my poor tastebuds...

edit: so this was bottled on 3/3/09 which baffles me even more because the hops were weak all around.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Thanks to 6DaysBottomOcean for the bottle.

Dark orange-amber pour. Just over a finger of off-white foam retains well. A little lacing sticks to the glass.

Typical East Coast DIPA nose. Very, very sweet aroma. Not much hops, very disappointing after reading the label and seeing their hop selection.

Flavor is much too caramel sweet for my tastes. More toasted graham cracker flavor than anything else. Practically no hop bitterness.

Big bodied. Soft carbonation, plush feel. Super boring DIPA. Too sweet, and not nearly hoppy enough. Not great.

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Reviewed on 06/22/2009. On tap at Sunset Grill. Pours a light brown/orange with a thick white head. Aroma of sweaty, grassy hops. Flavor is very bitter initially with hop oils and grassy hops and a sweet finish. The sweetness is a bit overpowering. Meh overall.

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a hazy, deep amber with near white head. The head and lacing stay all the way through - very nice retention! However, the aroma is somewhat lackluster. For a DIPA, the aroma is hollow - there are very faint notes of grass and lemon, and some esters from the alchohol. The taste starts off sweet and caramelly and ends with a lingering hop bitterness, but still somewhat nondescript. It is very balanced, and heat from the alcohol content is prevelant. The mouthfeel is superb and rich. Overall, I'd say it's about average for a NE DIPA...

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%

I tweaked my review after a couple more bottles. This beer is Garrett Oliver's proverbial "saltiest dish."

A- Deep golden, a bit hazy. At 79 IBUs, that's to be expected. Pours almost no head- I didn't expect that for an IPA.

S- Delicious. Big waft of grapefruit, with some piny scents there too.

T- The grapefruit influence is huge. My first thought is that it tastes like a glass of Ruby Red. More bitter than I expected, but that's not a complaint. I don't know if I'd want to drink this on its own, though. I grabbed some chips and hot salsa, and the spiciness countered the bitterness well. This is absolutely the most bitter Maine beer I've had. Personally, I'd prefer a bit more balance. I can just detect some crystal malt under all the bitterness, but it's wildly overpowered. I love the overwhelming citrus, but I don't know how enthusiastic I'd be after drinking another 1 or 2.

M- It's actually pretty light in the mouth. I'd like a bit more body.

D- I put below average, because this stuff can't stand on its own. If I were eating spicy Indian or Thai food, I'd set drinkability up to a 4, but it's a bit unbalanced to go it alone.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured in a tulip. There is a creamy off-white head. The color is orange/amber.

The aroma has sweet tropical fruit hops.

The taste is sweet with lots of fruit punch flavor frol the hops. Mango and other tropical fruit are dominant. The finish is bitter and slightly minty.

The body is full and the mouthfeel creamy.

Not bad, but not great. Hoppy but not a hop bomb.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

12 oz bottled 1/26/11

A - Nice copper color. Clear with just a small tan head.

S - Hoppier than expected to be at 6 months old. A big mess of hops. Not sure I like it -- the hops used are all very intense and tend to clash with one another. Very sweet, with lots of tropical fruit.

T - Again, the taste is a mess of hops. Too much variety, all made up of hops that are notoriously strong in flavor. Tropical fruit sweetness tends to dominate, along with lots of bitterness and sweet malts.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation. Sticky sweet.

O - Not a great take o nthe style. A hop bomb, as expected, but it is a hop bomb of... too much variety. Four hops, all fairly intense, and they clash with each other quite a bit. Won't be buying this again.

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

Given to me by Terry of Manchester; thanks Terry. Poured a dark bronze color with a rich and frothy head. This beer had fairly major sediment in the glass, but that's fine. Very cloudy and translucent. Smell was mildly (for a DIPA) of hops and pine. Taste was at first a little malty, but the hops came through in the finish, just for me on the weak side for this style. Mouthfeel was very good. Drinkability was fair; smooth on the taste, but not what I typically seek out in a DIPA. The sediment could turn off some, but it doesn't bother me.

3.41/5  rDev -11%

A - Pours a copper amber color with minimal carbonation and a light foam lacing covering the top.

S - Fresh pine, biscuit malt, mild acidic citrus, the aroma is faint for a big beer, but there is a slight tartness to the aroma.

T - Taste is better than what the nose suggests. Starts with a caramel, buttery acetyl sweetness and half way through the back of the tongue is hot with a peppery, acidic pink grapefruit rind on the back end. Leaves the mouth with a peppery, lingering citrus bitterness for a minute or so.

M - Smooth, thin medium body, mild pricklies on the tongue, and a semi-dry finish.

D - A decent drinker. Starts out balanced before the hops set in at the end. (No complaints here!)

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a nice transluscent yet hazy light amber with two finger-width head leaving nice lacing as consumed.
Smells very malty with a small whiff of hops & toffee.
Taste is not so bitter, pretty malty with floral kicking in & light toffee aftertaste. Nice little hop aftertaste.
Consistency is good, carbonation is to be expected in a DIPA.
Picked this 12oz up as an extra in my first trade.
Overall, worth a try. Not the best DIPA by any means, nothing really makes it above average but still a very drinkable and enjoyable DIPA.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Another nice one I received in a recent BIF, this one I had in the fridge for a while before I decided to bust it out. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, I used this one as a nightcap on 06/24/2009.
The pour was decent enough. Medium amber in color with some light golden highlights in it. A small head, maybe a quarter inch high rose up quickly and faded just as quick, leaving a broken crown of almost bare liquid. A modest hop profile at first, I have to say I was not terribly blown away by this one. Starts to redeem itself a touch in the flavor though as I finally get a hold of a light citrus profile. Nice hints of orange, grapefruit, and a nice biscuit like flavor coming through mid palate on me. A heavier medium body that was not terribly high on the carbonation, but still it was a decent effort and was fairly easy to drink.
Overall this was unfortunately very forgettable for me. It just did not hit heavy enough at first for me and left me looking for more. Not a bad example of the style, just not really what I was looking for. Maybe super fresh or on top much better.

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle has a Brewed on 3/3/09 stamp on it. Very fresh indeed.

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a dense and creamy ivory colored head. Settles very slowly, staying chunky and pretty full and leaving some webbing on the sides.

Smell is not overly hoppy, but has a nice resiny, herbal hop quality to it. There's a bit of grapefruity citrus, as well, and some sweet caramel. It's pretty weak actually, and especially in the nose of DIPA I want to be smacked in the face with hops. This doesn't do that.

Like the smell this isn't the hoppiest of DIPAs, but it's nicely balanced and there's enough hops to give it a little bit of pop. The hops are primarily herbal and citrus flavored. It's almost malt forward for a DIPA, with a big caramel malty backbone. That's somewhat backwards given the style, but I'm more accepting of balance in the taste than I am the smell, and there's just enough hops to make it work pretty well. Moderate bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of a medium body and is quite creamy. Slick and smooth, almost chewy in fact. Carbonation is pretty modest, giving it a soft, smooth feel.

This isn't too bad but it's certainly not hoppy enough to be in a class with the best versions of the style. Don't expect a hop bomb going in and you'll find a brew that's pretty easy to put back.

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

A- Thick white wedding lace lacing ( so clever ). Low retention time, but when it was around giant creamy head that was not that easy to generate. Golden amber body with good amount of carbonation rising up through its ranks.

S- Very sweet. Super caramels coming off of this sucka. The back end is the notes of oxidation and aging along with some grapefruit. Definitely probably a bit past its freshness peak, but still hoppy. Faint grassy notes.

T- Opens with the caramel sweetness being overwhelmed by a typhoon of giant bitter crests. Its funny, they fade out and come back in the finish. They let the middle generate a bit of fruit zest sweetness. Like an orange citrus, maybe grapefruit low note, but once again. The dominating factor of bitter sweeps them off to the periphery so my finish is dominated by tufts of bitter fluff hiding a mini biscuit nougat of goodness.

M- Full bodied, crisp opening with residual carbonation for the finish. Few beers pull off the long slow carbonation drag well, this seems to have it nice. Long lingering and stickiness.

D- Not the best, but not the worst. It is definitely run of the mill for impression. I can drink a full glass of it, and not notice the alcohol that much at all, but do I really want to? Probably not. Its just not what I was thinking it would be. It could be a factor of age, but I can't guarantee that.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Popped open the cap and poured this one into a pint glass. Color is orange/amber with a one inch head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a ring of bubbles on the outer edge. There are small particles floating in the beer as well.

S: Much sweeter than expected. A little bit of brown sugar and some sweet citrus fruit - apricots.

T: Sweet citrus hops upfront, the apricots return with a little bit of grapefruit. The finish is bitter, but not hop bitter. There is a slightly burnt taste. Besides that very nice.

M/D: Medium bodied with solid carbonation. I like this beer, but it is a tad too sweet for me, which cuts the drinkability down a little.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours an amber gold into a pint glass, a finger of white head builds then quickly laces down to a film.

Nose is a bready caramel with a big scoop of citric fruits.

A sip is dominated by a sweet malt - almost molasses - and an acidic citrus aspect. Good body and a medium to light carbonation. Very little hint of the abv, really covered up by the sweetness. A drier hop bitterness, almost spicy, to finish.

Overall - too sweet for me, but pretty drinkable for the style. Really not as hop-forward as I would expect.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper honey colored with a frothy head of meringue that settles slowly and leaves huge angular sheets of lace rising up the sides of the glass.

Aroma of florals and cinnamon and ripe fruits, a bit spicy, not overly hoppy.

Rich flavors of semi-sweet honey malt, floral notes, not too hoppy, with flavors that closely match the nose - cinnamon and ripe fruits, some spice. Grapefruit and orange rind flavors mix in toward the finish, and linger. Just a touch of alcohol flavor, but not distracting.

Full mouthfeel, moderate to full carbonation, a bit of warming in the cheeks.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-This beer pours copper. Head is a light caramel color. Head is rather light. Head does manage to lace quite effectively.

S-Sweet yet grapefruity. Smells like candied grapefruit flesh. The citrus is coarse but the maltiness balances it out. Hops and sweetness are nearly matched. Strong caramel notes. Smells like it may be a month or so past its prime.

T-A rather strong flavor. Mostly grapefruit hops. The caramel and grapefruit combo is pretty nice. Sweeter than I would like. Light pine hops too. A strong yet malty DIPA in the flavor although the hops do dance around the palate with some power.

M-Heavier bodied with mellow carbonation. A bit syrupy. I could see the feel dampening down my drinking experience after more than one of these.

O/D-This DIPA falls into my own category of "DIPAs that stress citrus but are overall a bit too sweet". The hop bouquet is lacking bulk and complexity and the malt is a bit too firm. However, this is DIPA is far from poor. I found it to be mostly enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

at Union Brewhouse, Weymouth MA. $5.50 for a big boy glass.

Copper color, mostly translucent but I suspect a dirty glass. Fair retention and a poignant swartch of white lace. Looks like a beer.

Smells of sweet twinkie malt with a grapefruit and mildly bubble gum hop. Taste parrelels the aroma. Hops fall out as it warms leaving an ubalanced sticky, poundcake malt with no counterpart which really disrupts my drinking. I was hoping for more resin in the mouthfeel.

This was labeled as just an IPA on the draft list I didn't know otherwise until I sat down to review. While it has enough malt for a DIPA, the hops aren't up to task.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

12 ouncer bought as a single at Spirit Haus in Amherst, Ma. Bottled 2.4.10 etched onto the neck of the bottle. Pours darker honey amber, hazed, medium khaki head, typical moderate bits of lace. Dull nose of bready malt and leafy hops. I'd call this one a slightly better then average DIPA, lacks the pungent and bold hop crunch, I'd like to see in a world class offering of this style. Hops here seem a bit muted, and lack any citric or fruity interest. Ho Hum, how jaded have we become?

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz. bottle: This one pours a cloudy orangish color. There was a small off-white head on it. The nose is pretty good. Mainly lemon and grapefruit hops, but also a faint hint of pine in there also. Sweet caramel malts coming through also. Taste is OK. Not as bitter as the nose might imply. Pretty well balanced between the malts and hops. Somewhere between medium and full bodied. Taste is caramel, citrus, pine, faint fruits. Not bad.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Nice cloudy medium amber with some definite yeast-floaties. Modest creamy head. Decent aroma of fruity, citrusy hops.

Flavor is good, pretty subtle for a DIPA. A lot of earthy, yeasty flavors combined with a heavy dose of bitterness. Hops are a bit fruity, not that compelling in my opinion. Mouthfeel is nice, quite smooth, and alcohol is well-disguised. Not the best New England version of the style, but a good effort.

Full Throttle Double IPA from Sebago Brewing Company