Cuvée D’Oscar - Brasserie Craig Allan

good

Brasserie Craig Allan visit their website
France

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: oline73 on 08-17-2012)

macesq, Aug 09, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

tom10101, Mar 23, 2014
3.44/5  rDev -5%

Pours a warm brown tone. Very cloudy, and I was actually pretty gentle with the pour, so I assume it's the wheat. Big light khaki head. Dissipates fairly quickly leaving some lacing. The aroma is big on tropical fruit, grapey Nelson Sauvin and earthy Belgian flavors. It's all a bit milder than I'd like, though. I wonder if this beer would be better fresh as can be. The taste has a lot of doughy, toasty malt. Very bread. Nice Nelson fruitiness, sweet and rich. Gets fairly medicinal and a bit plasticky as it warms. Lots of flavors that don't quite mesh. Mouthfeel is full and a bit fizzy. I liked this beer for a brief time as it warmed but it went from too mild to too medicinal quickly. It needs a lot more hop character and less funny yeast notes.

popery, Aug 05, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

From 06/12/13 notes. Had a glass of this on tap at La Fine Mousse in Paris, France. Poured into stemware.

a - Pours a deep mahogany brown color with one finger of medium tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Some light lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of mangos, tropical fruits, citrus hops, passion fruit, juice, fruity malts, floral hops, and earthy notes. Awesome nose; tons of fresh fruits and hops. Loving it.

t - Tastes of mangos, tropical fruits, citrus hops, honey, pine hops, and fruity malts. Not quite as much mango or tropical fruits, but it is there .

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Body is smooth and creamy and very easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one a lot. Loads of fresh tropical fruits and hops in the nose and super easy to drink. Would definitely like to have this again sometime.

mdfb79, Jun 18, 2013

largadeer, May 29, 2013

westcoastbeerlvr, May 29, 2013
4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

I picked up a 375mL bottle of this while I was travelling in Paris last week. I decided to drink it sooner than later.

The bottle gave off a very slight hiss when the polymer cork was removed. Poured into a goblet.

This one pours up a nice burned caramel color. It is almost opaque, but lets just the slightest hint of light pass through. The head is light brown and starts very dense, but lightens up a little bit leaving a half inch layer. The aroma has hay, apple , and pear. There is very little malt presence on the nose. The flavor is exactly in line with the aroma. There is hay and apple followed by a slight caramel sweetness and then a reserved bitterness that is subtle but very distinguishable. After a few sips, more fruity notes, mostly peach, become apparent, especially at the very back end. Also, a toasted cereal flavor takes hold. The mouthfeel is really nice on this one. It starts out really crisp and refreshing, but then the carbonation explodes creating a creaminess. It is the best of both worlds.

This is a really nice beer. I wish I had picked up a few more of these. Oh well, I guess I will have to go back to Paris.

Levich, Apr 26, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

BartMcStout, Dec 17, 2012

samEBC, Sep 08, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a reddish dark amber color with a half finger of off white head. The head fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: Rather mild with some light caramel and dark fruit notes. Reminds me a bit of apple juice. Getting some wheat, but not the Nelson hops.

Taste: Very light. Much more light and crisp than I guessed when pouring it. I'm getting some of the apple juice like taste. Mild dark fruit and caramel as well. Definitely getting the wheat malt.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the lighter side with a huge amount of fluffy carbonation. The finish is rather dry.

Overall: I'm glad I tried this. I thought it was very interesting, but not mind blowing. The caramel along with the light wheat was nice. I don't know that I'd pick up more, but it was fun to try.

oline73, Aug 17, 2012