2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cuvée D’Oscar - Brasserie Craig Allan

Cuvée D’OscarCuvée D’Oscar

Brasserie Craig Allan visit their website
France

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: oline73 on 08-17-2012)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 9 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
mdfb79

4.13/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From 06/12/13 notes. Had a glass of this on tap at La Fine Mousse in Paris, France. Poured into stemware.

a - Pours a deep mahogany brown color with one finger of medium tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Some light lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of mangos, tropical fruits, citrus hops, passion fruit, juice, fruity malts, floral hops, and earthy notes. Awesome nose; tons of fresh fruits and hops. Loving it.

t - Tastes of mangos, tropical fruits, citrus hops, honey, pine hops, and fruity malts. Not quite as much mango or tropical fruits, but it is there .

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Body is smooth and creamy and very easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one a lot. Loads of fresh tropical fruits and hops in the nose and super easy to drink. Would definitely like to have this again sometime.

06-18-2013 17:40:40 | More by mdfb79
oline73

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a reddish dark amber color with a half finger of off white head. The head fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: Rather mild with some light caramel and dark fruit notes. Reminds me a bit of apple juice. Getting some wheat, but not the Nelson hops.

Taste: Very light. Much more light and crisp than I guessed when pouring it. I'm getting some of the apple juice like taste. Mild dark fruit and caramel as well. Definitely getting the wheat malt.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the lighter side with a huge amount of fluffy carbonation. The finish is rather dry.

Overall: I'm glad I tried this. I thought it was very interesting, but not mind blowing. The caramel along with the light wheat was nice. I don't know that I'd pick up more, but it was fun to try.

08-17-2012 01:17:36 | More by oline73
popery

3.44/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a warm brown tone. Very cloudy, and I was actually pretty gentle with the pour, so I assume it's the wheat. Big light khaki head. Dissipates fairly quickly leaving some lacing. The aroma is big on tropical fruit, grapey Nelson Sauvin and earthy Belgian flavors. It's all a bit milder than I'd like, though. I wonder if this beer would be better fresh as can be. The taste has a lot of doughy, toasty malt. Very bread. Nice Nelson fruitiness, sweet and rich. Gets fairly medicinal and a bit plasticky as it warms. Lots of flavors that don't quite mesh. Mouthfeel is full and a bit fizzy. I liked this beer for a brief time as it warmed but it went from too mild to too medicinal quickly. It needs a lot more hop character and less funny yeast notes.

08-05-2013 02:46:01 | More by popery
Levich

4.04/5  rDev +12.8%

I picked up a 375mL bottle of this while I was travelling in Paris last week. I decided to drink it sooner than later.

The bottle gave off a very slight hiss when the polymer cork was removed. Poured into a goblet.

This one pours up a nice burned caramel color. It is almost opaque, but lets just the slightest hint of light pass through. The head is light brown and starts very dense, but lightens up a little bit leaving a half inch layer. The aroma has hay, apple , and pear. There is very little malt presence on the nose. The flavor is exactly in line with the aroma. There is hay and apple followed by a slight caramel sweetness and then a reserved bitterness that is subtle but very distinguishable. After a few sips, more fruity notes, mostly peach, become apparent, especially at the very back end. Also, a toasted cereal flavor takes hold. The mouthfeel is really nice on this one. It starts out really crisp and refreshing, but then the carbonation explodes creating a creaminess. It is the best of both worlds.

This is a really nice beer. I wish I had picked up a few more of these. Oh well, I guess I will have to go back to Paris.

04-26-2013 23:14:29 | More by Levich
Cuvée D’Oscar from Brasserie Craig Allan
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.