Traquair House Ale - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair House AleTraquair House Ale

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair House Ale Alström Bros
crownrl28

02-19-2012 23:18:28 | More by Arborescence
TaylorK

02-23-2013 17:59:06 | More by TaylorK
Gaisgeil

"O in the sweetest plums there's stanes,
And in the fairest beef there's banes
Rum turns ye rude, wine makes ye pale,
There's life and love and soul in ale:
Gude ale's the medicine oft spae'd of,
The very stuff that life is made of,
Dropt in a receipt from the moon,
To haud men's sinking hearts aboon."
- Robert Burns, beloved Scottish Bard. 1795.

I've been saving this ale to put me over the 100 karma mark, just the ale to do it!

This is honestly the best beer I have ever partaken of. Combined with my affinity for Scotch and complete adoration of beer, not to mention my natural propensity for anything of my land of ancestry, Scotland, all in all I would drink this every day if I had the means. So naturally I of course have a natural inclination toward really liking this beer as a result. I was quite aware of my "slight" bias in reviewing this one with my background. But in then end, with lots of thought and honest effort toward being fair and unfettered I really do love this beer as it stands alone, on it's own merit. It truly is a work of art in my book and I'm totally convinced even if blindfolded this beer would hit my beer nerves perfectly every time, sip after sip. It being Scottish is simply the icing on the cake. Truthfully, I never saw myself giving any brew all 5's, but I can't help myself, there isn't a thing I don't love about this one.

This beer pours a deep brown, with red highlights, chestnut in color, just a tad cloudy with just a bit of carbonation apparent, quite unlike many Scotch ales which tend to be much darker in color. A creamy and perfect slightly off white head accompanied with great retention, lots of lacing along the way. Nose is dark and almost musky, slight hint of smoke, reminds me of a library for some reason, old leather armchairs, fireplace, natural bound texts. Taste is wonderful, following the nose of course but with even more layers, reminded me slightly of Scotch whisky as one might expect, a bit smokey. The oak is definatly strong and present. Quite malty, only enough mild hops to balance the whole affair out perfectly. Stewed fruit, plums, maybe a little fig, a very slighty peaty nuance and a bit of vanilla. Notes of sherry are apparent toward the finish with a detectable, but not overpowering alcohol character. I also detect a slightly herbal tone as well, almost tea-like. Finish isn't overly dry, just a tad bit so. Mouthfeel is medium, but coats the palate quite well. Definatly best served slightly under room temperature, otherwise you are missing out on a lot of the complexity.

This is a gorgeous product and I was pretty sure I would adore it as much as I love the Jacobite but as it turned out I love this one even more. This brew is like the heir to the throne, while the Jacobite is more of the rebel younger brother. I will be bringing lots of this home with me during my future trip near Edinburgh. This truly leaves me a happy man.

Slàinte maith, h-uile latha, na chi 'snach fhaic! Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sonas!

03-24-2005 02:53:33 | More by Gaisgeil

beerdhabelly

Nebraska

07-24-2012 05:19:49 | More by beerdhabelly
spointon

I poured this one from an 11.2oz skinny brown bottle into a stemmed globe style glass. This bottle has been in my cellar for nearly 2 years and as far as I could tell it was already 1-2 years old when I bought it back in 2007.

A= This ale poured a beautiful mahogany color that reminded me of a dark chestnut mare. There was a fair clarity to this beer that I didn't expect but certainly appreciated greatly. The head was a creamy light tan color and rose just about 1/2" before slowly settling to a skim. Only a few spots of lace formed on my glass. I was constantly struck by the beauty of this ale in the glass.

S= Wow...the nose is absolutely bursting with a beautiful marriage of sweetness and fruit. I smelled the dark ripe fruits more upfront, showing aromas of figs,raisins, and plums. The sweet malty notes built up and emerged after the fruit with a great showing of treacle and mincemeat pie. The alcohol was there in force but in no way smelled "hot" or uncomfortable. An olfactory treat for sure.

T= Incredible array and depth of flavors were displayed in this beer. My first taste sensation was of dark ripe fruits on the order of plums and dark cherries. Sort of like pie in a glass really, with pecan pie and mincemeat pie both coming to mind. The malt presence was nearly as large as the fruit character, with hints of brown sugar, treacle, carob, caramel, toffee, and maybe even a hint of butterscotch. Just incredible depth at every turn. I think I even got a few hints of chocolate and oak near the finish. The hops were there just enough to take the edge off the sweetness and combined with the alcohol to spice everthing quite pleasantly. Finish was sweet and full of a very pleasing alcohol warmth.

MF= Medium bodied with a small but constant carbonation release. This ale was soft on my tongue and felt silkier with each sip. Really top notch.

D= Though this is a sipper, and it unabashedly shows its alcohol, it never felt like a "big" beer and was never hot in any way. I could easily drink quite a few of these on a long Sunday afternoon/evening by a fire or in a comfortable chair reading a book. I am glad I saved this bottle for so long and will now dedicate myself to laying many more bottles down.

06-25-2009 05:57:38 | More by spointon