Traquair House Ale - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair House Ale Alström Bros
1.85/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

I have no idea what to expect from this beer. Based on the little research I have done on this brewery, it's old and they know how to make a good beer. This beer is also fermented in oak barrels, which leaves me thinking I am going to smell and taste a ton of barrel. If not, I will be sad as when I drink a barrel-aged beer (not saying this is BA), I want to smell AND taste the wood.

This beer comes from an old brewery but also the oldest inhabited house in all of Scotland. I like scotch. I just hope I like this beer. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer is thick and has a nice consistency. The head is thick and creamy, too. You know the head you get on a glass of Guinness? That is what I am seeing here. I am already 3 or 4 shots deep, so let's drink!

Nose: What nose? There isn't much aroma here whatsoever. I am smelling a nice faint sweetness that comes in toward the finish, but nothing to write home about. I actually might write home and ask where the aroma is. For a beer that cost this much and has this much history, I expected a much more impressive aroma. I hope it tastes better than it smells!

Flavor: Nope. It doesn't. I mean… it's almost gross. There is no barrel flavor and the consistency is horrible. Yuck. Why would they bottle something that tastes like this? I mean… read the label. It sounds amazing. It's NOT!

Mouthfeel: I don't like Guinness. I hate the mouthfeel of Guinness. This has the same mouthfeel. It is horrible. I mean, it just coats your mouth with a thick fluffy layer of flavor, but it doesn't deliver. I had some pretty high hopes for this beer, too. William, the beer manager at Total Wine & More in Scottsdale loves this beer. Why? Please, William… Tell us why!

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? I don't want to take another sip for the experience that I had on my first drink. I am hoping this gets better as it heats up, but I just don't see it. This is just a boring flavorless beer. There is 1 more bottle from them on the list… I hope that one managed to deliver SOMETHING!

That is too bad… I wanted this to be good.

2.16/5  rDev -48.2%

Pours a slightly ruddy cola brown. Small off-white foam head. Leave some froth on the edges and top of the liquid.

Slight off-malt notes in the aroma. Kind of a bit weird, actually.

Taste is bad. Slightly sickly sweet, rancid malt with an offputting ... spoiled nuts ... ? aftertaste. Really tough getting through once glass of it. Maybe a faint hint of earthiness in the aftertaste. Kind of like dirt.

Bland mouthfeel. Not good.

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

Reviewed 6/7/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown/slight reddish color. Little head, slight off-white, brown, diminishing. Aroma of dark fruit, plums, citrus, & sugar. Lightish aroma. Strong taste of dark fruit, some coffee, slightly flat tasting. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Watery porter kind of taste.

2.9/5  rDev -30.5%

Rich deep reddish brown, with small light tan head. Smell is a musty, peaty rich malty sweetness, similar in a way to a McEwans, but more complex. Taste is somewhat similar to smell but more muted, and less sweet. Still earthy flavored with a quite mild bitter finish to it and just a hint of alcohol. Not bad at all, but not my preferred style either.

2.99/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Two plus finger head on a medium brown, very clear body. Attractive, but not outstanding by any means.

S: Slightly malty, but more so grainy I would say. This is odd, an aroma I would expect more from a light lager than a wee heavy. Lighter, sharper, not at all sweet.

T: The Taste pretty much follows with the smell. There is no robust, cloying sweetness or solid body.

I don't even want to write the rest of this review. This beer is thin, slightly sour. I've never heard of this beer being infected, but I hope it is.

3.02/5  rDev -27.6%

A - Deep opaque brown color to it. The head is light tan and about a finger thick. It leaves a lot of lace.

S - Strong soapy malt aroma. Some caramel and toast. Some oxidation has happened. There are some slight phenols too.

T - On the verge of being skunked I think. If it is not then It has a rather tart malty taste to it. The malt has the same taste as the aromas.

M - Rather viscous and has that bitterness I believe from being on the edge.

D - I'm sure that if it was fresh it would rank a 90. But this is definitely not.

3.04/5  rDev -27.1%

330ml bottle. Snifter glass. Enjoyed on agt´12. Dark brown in color. Light beige head shows not much retention. Yeast, floral & herbal fragrances, caramel & toasted malt aromas & hints of anise to the nose. Gentle warming alcohol at firs sip rounded by toasted flavor. Medium body. Moderate to high carbonation. Oily to watery texture. Dark fruits in the middle, slightly chocolate touch & subtle anise notes. Dry malty finish. Sweet & alcoholic aftertaste.

3.04/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Poured a cloudy reddish-brown. Almost no head, even with a hard pour.

S: Huge smell, I can smell it without holding it up to my nose. Notes of butterscotch, malt, vanilla, and alcohol.

T: Much different than its aroma... Not much going on here for me. There are some tannic flavors that are overpowering anything else that might be trying to sneak through.

M: Nice body and weight, but the carbonation is a little rough and may be detracting from the flavor..

D: Based on the other reviews, I'm hoping I got a bad bottle. I may try this one again hoping that this is the case, but if it's like this one, it's just not worth spending the money on.

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours a light brown with red highlights. It has a fizzy off-white head that quickly diminishes.

The aroma is sweet caramel and buttery toffee malts, peat, cola and a little alcohol.

The flavor is sweet caramel and butterscotch malts, some dark fruits, a little smoke and a subdued bitter alcoholic finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full with low carbonation.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with this one - it's very subdued. I'll take an Old Chub over this any day.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

11.2oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a deep red when held to the light. A thin off white head.

The aroma is of dark malt. Molasses as well as dark fruit comes through as well.

The taste follows the nose, though seems a bit subdued.

A thin to medium body, with low, prickly carbonation.

A decent beer, though the taste was a bit subdued and the mouthfeel was a bit thin for my liking.

3.11/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle. Leaves about one finger in depth of a biege head that quickly recedes to a foam ring at the edge, and does not leave much lacing. Body is black with purple highlights.

Smell - mild aroma of apples, butterscotch, maltbread, and plums.

Taste - like the nose. Rather mild taste of apples, butterscotch, plums, and maltbread. Not real deep, or full, but not bad either. Sour fruit on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, rather dry.

Drinkability - this is decent ale, but not great, so, for me that holds down sessionability.

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%

-dark brown with no carb or much head at all

-malt, reminiscent of a barleywine smell

-it tastes like a watered down and flat rum and coke

-there is no carb whatsoever, which is why i might change this review. tastes like alcohol more than it needs to

-i need to try this beer again in case i got an old or bad bottle because it seems to be that way

3.16/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a deep mahogany. One finger head dies to film, with no real lace,

Moderate Aromas - roast malts, dark chocolate with hops in mix

Taste is less assertive, somewhat watery, roast malts. Smoke elements roast/burnt toffee.

Mouthfeel light, almost too light

Overall ok - however must also admit - not my given preferred style. Have tried to review objectively but find difficult.

3.17/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Bottle (2002 vintagE) served into a Samuel Smith's nonic at a tasting. 8.5% ABV. Expectations were high given its reputation. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a beige ring/floater but no head at all. Body colour is a caramel-biscuit/beautiful copper. Rich and inviting. Truly appealing.

Sm: Wood, biscuit, and heavy heavy malts. Vinegar. Boozy heat. Heavy caramel. Hints of oxidation. A unique, striking aroma. Quite strong, with evidence of poor aging.

T: Oxidation, raisin, malty sweetness, graham cracker, wood, caramel, and candi character. Very striking and unique. Time has refined it, but it's not at all at ideal age; it's been cellaring far far too long. Has some troublesome off flavours, but also some masterful ones.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and nicely thick. Carbonation holds up even after ten years. Surprisingly well put together for its age.

Dr: Drinkable but well past prime. I'd like to try it far younger; maybe at three years. Aging past five years seems like a terrible idea. I'll have to revisit this one, but there are buried elements that really strike me.

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%

12(ish) ounce bottle, poured into a trappist (Chimay) glass. Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque. Has a very thin head that dissapears almost immediately. Smells malty, citrusy, smokey with a hoppy background. Very little hop in the taste, more fruity malt, very much like a brown ale. Palate is kind of disappointing. The carbonation it has is extremely tiny bubbles, feels almost flat. Not a bad beer, but not worth the price tag ($3.99/bottle)

3.22/5  rDev -22.8%

Stunning beer. Deep, dark reddish color with a large head. That's about where the good stuff ended. I expected a stronger aroma, especially from the oak, but I got very little. Didn't get much flavor-wise either. I found it to be more of a very easy drinking ale with not much to it. Not bad, but nothing noteworthy.

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours a dark reddish brown with a tan head that fades quickly.

The aroma of honey is first to hit the nose along with a sharp malty, bready aroma.

The first flavor to arrive is that of rasins. Followed quickly by a malty punch that delivers a strong bready flavor. The end is metallic and pretty unpleasent.

Well after reading some of the other reviews of this brew I think I may have gotten a skunked bottle. At least I hope I did.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer pours a dark brown color much like some of the Belgian abbey ales. It had a small and quickly dissipating head and left little lacing on the glass. The aroma is very fruity - again, like some of the better Belgian abbey ales - the aroma of malt is also present. The flavor is very full and has lots of character. The flavor of some sweet fruit (maybe grapes) is very apparent. My only gripe is that it tastes very tart. After the head died down, there was no carbonation left in the drink, which made it pretty smooth. Pretty decent beer. A little tart, but good none-the-less.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz bottle. Black foil covering the neck.

Pours a deep reddish-brown. The beige head is modest and too oily to leave much for lace. The aroma is mostly malts, caramel, and alcohol...and is fairly faint. Very sweet earthy malt character & acrid hop bitterness with an alcoholic chaser. I remember this being better last time I tried it, but this was a fairly fresh bottle. Not bad, but certainly not worth the $5 price tag for me.

3.26/5  rDev -21.8%

this was pretty expensive, $5 for ~12oz bottle.
I picked it up randomly, just something new never seen or tried. Read the reviews before cracking it, got me excited.
It's kind of a let down, another user described it as a "watery porter," that sums it up perfectly. there's nothing really wrong with it, its just very average. there is a very very gentle smokiness, leather, tobacco, all of which i wish were just a bit more pronounced. like there are some great flavors in there, just hidden behind the weak, watery flavor and mouthfeel. Maybe its the exorbitant price that makes me expect a big beer, if this was the regular $7 or $8 for a good craft six pack, i would think it was a better deal.

3.31/5  rDev -20.6%

A- Cola brown, just transparent. Very little head, settling to a top clear of foam.

S- A faint, simple, barely perceptible smell of malt with a weak note of dark dried fruit.

T- A one dimensional malt flavor, slightly nutty with fig. Very pleasant but uninspiring.

M,D- One the fuller side of medium bodied, with a nice feel, this House Ale has a good level of drinkability.

3.32/5  rDev -20.4%

At the Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ. Poured a reddish-mahogany hue, with a small off-white head, poor retention, and modest lacing. Smell very malty sweet, with some hints of dark fruit/raisin and toast. The taste confirmed a very sweet, malty, dark fruit-oriented flavor, with a modest toastiness and a sweet finish. Non-carbonated, full-bodied feel. The excessive sweetness combined with the syrup-like texture was a little overpowering for me.

3.32/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Pours dark, cola like. Initial robust head. Lacks lacing.

S: Sweet malt, woodiness, light roasted toffee; minimal hopiness comes through

T: woodiness, light roasted toffee; seltzer water; minimal hopiness comes through

M: Body is on the thin side; carbonation plays on the tongue

O: Easy to drink but lacks a distinctive compelling character. Don't know that I'll return to this one however.

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured a copper-tan. Aroma was quite assertive, promising harsh alcohol and dense malt in a barleywine sort of way. Flavor was much, much more muted and mellow than the aroma suggested. Broad malt flavors with butterscotch, toffee and brown sugar swapping back and forth. A touch of dark fruit barely peeked through toward the end, with a bit of thinning out in the mouthfeel. Interesting, and unlike other Scottish ales in the complexity of the malt.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not sure of this bottle was really old, or what, but I thought this was nothing more than barely acceptable. Thin, without much flavor, and overpriced. Will not seek this out again.

Traquair House Ale from Traquair House Brewery Lld