Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros

Insanely good beer. Spicy, fruity, chocolatey, smooth. Very interesting beer, every sip you can pick up new flavours.

The best beer I've ever had. I don't really know what else to say. To try to break down this drinking experience might cheapen just how fantastic it was. I just want to remember the moment, not define it.

A: A nice amber brown, with just a hint of red.

S: Dark fruits — raisins, prunes, figs — molasses, candy, tobacco, coriander.

T: Subtle sweetness. The raisin comes through. Bits of apple. Caramel. Licorice. Warmth.

M: Mild to medium carbonation. Just right for the style.

O: This beer is perfectly balanced. It’s infinitely drinkable, which is remarkable given the alcohol content. And every sip leaves you wanting more. There’s such an incredible depth to this beer; so much going on, but not overpowering or overwhelming.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Deep brown-mahogany with an off-white head. The head dissipates quickly, but it's a good looking beer all the same.

Very interesting and unique aroma! Sweet fruits dominate, summer peaches and apples. Spicy background from the coriander. Hints of caramel and maybe bourbon.

Starts off tart and sweetens in the middle. Great malt profile with what I'll describe as a peach gummi ring flavor. This also sticks in the aftertaste with some subtle floral hops. Candyish apple and maybe even some pear. Kind of like an alcohol-soaked, caramel coated fruit basket. Dried peaches dominate the finish.

Smooth and a bit chewy and certainly creamy. This has a lighter body for a scotch ale, but it certainly doesn't hurt it.

Wow, I'm amazed. This is superb. I think I like this one even better than the regular Traquair House Ale. I love coriander so I figured I'd like this a lot, but I had no idea it would be this good. A very interesting and unique scotch ale. If you see this, give it a try. It's worth the hefty price. This may become one of my very favorite beers.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Serving Type : 11.2 floz bottle.

A: Dark with a redish tint, no head.

S: Sweet, coriander, coffee hints, a wonderful aroma, very complex.

T: Very complex taste, smooth as silk, coffee, coriander, dark fruits. A wonder full taste.

M: Silk. Liquid silk.

D: Over and over....

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Cheers to the author of this statement found on the label: "Best before June 2009." As if July 2009 would be off-peak? What day in June 2009, I wonder? Excellent. The color is a shimmering red and black-coffee brown color with paisley splotches of lace. After a couple of Wits this is the perfect follow up. Subdued, polished coriander greets the nose along with chocolate, toffee and sour cream. Extremely velvety texture. So smooth. Graham cracker, campfire and old wool mittens occur. The most delicate dessert-like qualities are present from nose to finish: Trifle, Tiramisu et al. Who knew this kind of richness and balance were obtainable for a mere $5/11.2 oz.???

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

A: Deep ruby/mahogany in color with a little bit of light getting through. A thin off-white head that disappeared with no lacing.

S: Very complex! You have to let this get up to temperature or else you'll miss something. Of course you get the coriander spice and malt sweetness but there are some other tones in there for good measure. Fruit... Caramel... Bourbon, maybe... But DAMN!! I could sniff this stuff all evening!

T: It's like a Scottish ale with spice and other subtle undertones that follow the nose. Just as complex as the aroma.

M: Smooth as hell. A little lighter in body than what I expected in a Wee Heavy. Not harsh in any sense of the word. A little oily sensation on the tongue.

D: This is one of my last beers in 2010. I've had it before but I thought I'd go out with a bang. I'm only going to have just one bottle of this tonight and that is a good thing. At 8% ABV it rocks - and the flavor is wonderful - but one is enough. I have other beers to drink before my head hits the pillow in the wee hours of the morning but I'm glad this was one.

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours as dark as an average stout but a keen eyed appraisal reveals a body that is scarlett on the edges. Head is white and less than half an inch thick. Almost no lacing. Nose is of red grapes, caramel, sweet brown sugar and caramel, with black cherries bringing up the rear. There are many American version of Wee Heavys that are bigger and badder but this just flat out tastes better. No contest.

I thought the smell was good but the taste steps right up and proclaims, "I'm not afraid anymore!" and smacks me upside the head. Caramel, blackberries, rum, raisins, burnt sugar and dull grapefruit hops all combine to form what is in my opinion the best Wee Heavy on this planet. Yeah you heard me right. If you can find another that is better please send it to me for review and I will compensate you. Mouth is slightly thin but I feel it is perfect for this brew. This is unrivaled. It is pricey but I shall drink it again!

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

The web tells me that a Jacobite is a Scottish person who still believes the King serves by divine rite and not from power from the Parliament. This beer is something just as unique and unusual. The brew pours with a minimal 1/4 " head and dark brown in color. It smells great and leaves you scratching your head a bit trying to reconcile the appearance and smell. The coriander comes through in the taste although there is an oakiness too. A hint of sherry and licorice. A bit of bitterness. I don't expect a coriander taste with these combinations. As Putnam mentions, according to the bottle these are good for another 6-7 years. I think it would be worth cellaring a few of these and seeing what happens. Would they get even more complex? Hard to imagine.

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Deep dark brown, almost opaque, but clear when held to the light. Thin head that doesn't last.

S -Rich, complex earthiness, baked sugar and nuttiness that greatly resembles pecan pie, chocolate, sweet coriander.

T - Rich chocolate, huge nutty flavor, caramel, coriander. Has slight hop bitterness and finishes dry. Amazing.

M - Rich and full bodied, very soft carbonation.

D - Amazingly drinkable for the complexity. I can't detect any of the 8% ABV.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

A: Smoggy black/brown, with just a little head. Cola-like bubbles.

S: Very aromatic. The best smelling beer I've ever tried. It's difficult to describe, but there are very sweet notes in there along with molasses and balanced perfectly with a light, smooth scotch. Wow.

T: Remarkably, it tastes as good as it smells, but with even more flavors and complexity mixed in. Scotch notes are on the front, but they quickly fade into the most amazingly smooth, delicious, sweet molasses, buttery savory flavor... It's fantastic.

M: Well balanced carbonation, full bodied ale.

O: A bit pricey, but well worth the price of admission. This ale stands on a level all its own. I've often found "Wee Heavy" style ales to be a little too harsh, but this is so well balanced and smooth that you could easily mistake it for a much lighter ale.

Traquair Jacobite from Traquair House Brewery Lld