1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros
Ratings: 681 | Reviews: 501 | Show All Ratings:
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.15/5  rDev -48.2%

A- Pours black coffee brown with a dense but minimal head.

S- SWEET! Sugary caramel and toffee. Smells like Nestle's Juicy Juice fruit punch with a caramel chaser. Not sure how I feel about it.

T- Follows the nose, but a bit more subdued (thankfully). I still taste Nestle's Juicy Juice Fruit Punch... what gives? Beer is tasty, subdued, and goes down easy. A bit unsettling, though. That flavor is dead on and creeping me out. I feel like I'm 5 and drinking out of the 64oz cans of Juicy Juice.

M- Thin, unoffensive, not terribly carbonated.

D- No thanks. This could be an unfair review, but this taste is so ingrained to me as Juicy Juice Fruit Punch that I can't get past it. A good beer, drinkable, and a stealth ABV, just not for me. I can suggest you try it, though, not bad by any means... I just don't click with it.

I haven't had Nestle Juicy Juice in 15-20 years, but this beer is a dead ringer. Didn't want to let bias in, but no choice... I will die a happy man if I never have this again.

08-18-2009 00:44:00 | More by ShogoKawada
warmstorage

2.33/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours a deep clear brown with red tint.

Minimal head, dissipates almost immediately, leaves little to no lacing.

Aroma is musty, fruit, sweet. Candy sugar. Pie crust.

Taste is of musty, almost rotten fruit/vegetables. And bread. Think overripe pumpkin or other random vegetables in the produce section, about to rot. Pretty weird and somewhat unpleasant.

Mouth is thick, sweet and viscous.

Overall, a pretty unpleasant beer, and one which I'm pretty sad to have paid $4.75 for a bottle for just to taste. Not one which I'll buy again on my own nickel.

12-15-2006 02:25:13 | More by warmstorage
His_Royal_Hoppiness

United Kingdom (England)

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Black body with a big white head.

S: Bourbon, caramel, toasted malts.

T: Dark fruits dominate, accompanied by some chocolate and coriander - sweet at first, then suddenly tangy, metallic and acidic - unappealing.

M: Very thin and dry - not much carbonation.

Hugely disappointed with this one - I've had a bottle of the House Ale set aside for a while and I really hope it has more to offer. On first sip this resembles a slightly muted Belgian quad, but it goes rapidly downhill from there. I battled to drink half the bottle and drain-poured the rest.

02-01-2013 22:16:56 | More by His_Royal_Hoppiness
Shrews629

Kentucky

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Very dark amber/ruby color. Bright ruby highlights around the bottom and edges. A tan head with huge bubbles and not much size or retention. A tad of lacing left behind.

Smell - Picking up hints of a dark roasted malt with some burnt grain. Some dark fruit sweetness in the aroma also. Some earthy tones reminiscent of some "smoke". Kind of even smells like a Red Wine.

Taste - Some dark fruit in the taste. Similar to a prune. Some roasted malt in the taste also. Minute amounts of bitterness. Just a hint of the coriander, but not much however. A touch of alcohol and smoke in the flavor also.

Mouthfeel - Medium/full mouthfeel. Some alcohol warmth. Leaves plenty on the palate. Mostly smooth.

Drinkability - This beer is just ok for me. Nothing I will seek out really. Wasn't real easily drinkable and the combination of flavors and aromas were ok for 1 beer, but not something I want to try again or make a night of.

02-21-2011 17:37:15 | More by Shrews629
ccrida

Oregon

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%

33cl bottle (Best before June 2014, I think it's forward dated 10 years, making it about 4.5 years old) poured into my Delirium snifter, Jacobite is a dark hazy ruby with a creamy off-white head that leaves light, scattered lace. Nice darker color that I prefer in the style.

Smell is heavy lemon scented from the coriander at first, with wafts of graham cracker, rum, toffee, chocolate, but I'm really just grasping at straws, as it's difficult for me to get past the lemon.

Taste is also very heavy on the coriander. I thought that seemed rather unusual for the style when I read it on the label, but came in with an open mind. The problem is, my instincts were right, the coriander brings a bright, sweet refreshingly quality which is rather opposite what I look for in the style, which would be more of a sweet, earthy maltiness.

Mouthfeel is spicy and dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability isn't to high for me, sorry. I just really don't like beers where any spices (which I generally don't like period) are so overt, and I particularly don't like the coriander with this style. The only 'adjunct' I care for in scotch ales is a little smoke.

01-10-2009 05:30:59 | More by ccrida
mmcave

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Purchased at Sam’s chilled and poured into a nonic. One finger off white gray-ish head developed and dissipates into little more than a film. Body is dark blackish brown almost completely opaque. Smells is strong coriander, I get a sort of berry yogurt smell which is strange, not completely unpleasing, but very different. The malt is there just masked heavily by prune juice smell. Taste is similar with that prune juice character and dark malt undertones. As this brew warms the toasted malt with tiny hints of coffee and chocolate can be spotted, but on the finish its straight prune juice again. The abv is fine and the mouth feel is decent, just slightly watery for a wee heavy, but it leaves something slightly acidic on the very back of my tongue. I really want to like this, but I just can’t get past the strange fruit. Maybe its my tongue or a bad bottle, but as it is this beer is just not for me I’ll stick to my dirty bastard.

03-06-2007 05:23:32 | More by mmcave
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a deep blackish brown with ruby highlights. The aroma is exceptional as you can smell this ale when you pour it out of the bottle.
Deep dark fruity ester mingle with a citrussy coriander spiciness make for an excellent aroma, this is the first beer i have tried in which the aroma exceeds the flavor. The rich aroma led me to a letdown as the flavor was much more subdued than i expected. The coriander flavors were there though they were much less prevelent due to the intemingling of the roasted grain flavors detracting from the spice. The body of this ale is an immense letdown as a scotch wee heavy IMO should have a bit more viscosity and sweetness but this is a rather thin ale in terms of body. For being an ale with such disinction and prestige i would have thought it would taste better but maybe it just isn't my style. The scotch ales always throw me off due to the lack of hops and for some reason i have a hard time enjoying tha malt flavors unless they are balanced by a signifigant amount of hops.

08-06-2004 08:03:28 | More by RenoZymurgist
jcalabre

Originally sampled on 30 May 2002. I am writing this review from my notes. I had heard, and read a lot of reviews on how this was a great beer. I was disappointed.
It's roughly the color of cola with a very small head. The flavors are chocolate and spice. Very different. Wasn't bad, but not as good as I'd hoped for

06-28-2003 12:31:56 | More by jcalabre
Arbitrator

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Opaque black color with glowing ruby highlights when held to a lamp. Moderate 1 finger of head recedes into a ring and filming on top, with lacing speckles down the glass as I drink.

S: Spicy sour nose from the coriander. Caramel malt, butter, peat, smoke, plums, and blueberries. An interesting aroma.

T: Mostly sweet malt, molasses, butter, peat, and smoke with strong coriander spiciness. No hop taste to it, but I didn't really expect one.

M: Medium-bodied and smooth. Carbonation was so low the beer felt flat, which ruined most of the sensations and made for a lackluster drink.

D: I may have just had a bad bottle, but I wasn't really enthused about having this again after the low carbonation. The taste is interesting, but the texture really makes or breaks a brew, and in this case, the latter.

03-09-2009 07:55:15 | More by Arbitrator
loren01

Oregon

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Pours a black cola color, very small head that dissipates rather quickly, zero lacing
S: Sweet peppery, earthy, caramel smells. Corriander smell is quite strong
T: Earthy, slight chocolate, black licorace and cough syrup taste
M: Thick full syrupy mouthfeel
D: Plenty of smell and taste, its just that I didn't really care for the taste. Reminds me more of Robatussin than beer, wouldn't buy this again.

05-07-2007 06:50:47 | More by loren01
Phelps

Arizona

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured into a New Belgium globe. This particular bottle was aged at least seven months, though it was probably on shelves for longer before that. No way of knowing without a freshness date.

Murky cola brown with some clearer oaken highlights. Not much head to speak of at all — just wisps of whitish bubbles.

Smells old and oxidized. Lots of honey sweetness, toffee, caramel and earth, with butterscotch below. I don’t get any of the coriander this was supposedly brewed with.

Honey again in the flavor. There’s also brown sugar, hints of toffee, brandy and bread pudding. Very dry, earthy finish. Tastes old.

Creamy medium-full body with very light, tingly carbonation. Full and heavy in the mouth.

Like I said, this one might be a bit old. It’s not a drainpour, but is a bit too dry and stale for my liking.

07-07-2011 22:33:31 | More by Phelps
AaronHomoya

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a dark brown color with a decent amount of head.

Smell is very interesting - sweet, malty, a little spicy and has some character to it that I can only describe as musty.

I guess I just don't appreciate the style this is going for with the corriander and all, or maybe I got a bad bottle, but I didn't like the taste. It starts malty, then is spicy and has a strange, fruity, spicy finish that struck me all wrong.

Mouthfeel is fine, and the drinkability suffers in my book from the spiciness and the finish.

12-02-2006 22:03:45 | More by AaronHomoya
ddarity

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

This bottle has a exp. date 2014.
I was not as impressed with this one nearly as much as previous years. Maybe my expectations were too high. I will try it again. I have an older one in the cooler with a 2009 exp. date that I will review later.

The ale has a very nice appearance although the carbonation level might be a little soft. Nice dark amber color. Nice clarity.

The malty aroma seems more subdued than I remember, Some floral and spice but also a hint of a vinegar note as well.

I was hoping for more of a malt bill with this scottish ale, it was a wee.. bit thin and has a bit of heat. This mouthfeel was a little thin as well.

To be honest I would have to rate this one as average.

03-23-2006 23:15:27 | More by ddarity
decimator

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

330ml bottle poured into a Goblet.
ABV 8%

A - Poured a dark brown with mahogany highlights. No head and no lacing.

S - No trouble picking up the coriander. It's accompanied with caramel and toast at first. A few whiffs later and a bit of coffee, wood, earth, sourness, and hint of anise come through.

T - Some toffee sweetness, some roastiness, light toffee, a bit of sourness, and some spiciness. As it warms up a bit of smoke and alcohol shows up.

M - Low carbonation, some creaminess, light tang, and a wet finish.

D - Interesting aroma and flavour combination. Not quite my thing but it wasn't bad.

01-21-2011 03:30:19 | More by decimator
jujubeast6000

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

Reviewed 4/29/2006 (bottle):

Pours a brown color body with almost no head, off-color. Has an aroma of blueberries, some spices, dark fruit, some alcohol, some hops. Taste of spices, fruits. I don't know what coriander tastes like. Very spicy taste in the back of my throat. Lots of flavor.

01-11-2009 03:58:35 | More by jujubeast6000
Thorpe429

3.28/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Picked up at Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits in the District.

Poured into a snifter. The color is a nice, dark copper/caramel color with a very thin off white head that does not really leave behind any lacing at all. The nose is caramel, toffee, bread, and hints of dark fruits. Some slight alcohol there as well. The taste is fairly one dimensional with a faint caramel and toffee sweetness. No really fruit presence. Perhaps a bit of nuttiness. Medium mouthfeel with fairly low carbonation and a bit of booze. Fairly plain without much going on; this was a bit of a disappointment.

10-23-2010 18:54:33 | More by Thorpe429
SkeeterHawk

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear deep reddish brown color with a half-inch of thick tan foam. The head disappeared slowly within a minute or so to end us as a persistent film across the top of the beer.

Aroma: Floral and spicy notes dominate the aroma. It smells sweet, and my first impression was of honeysuckle. There are some rich dark caramel notes to the aroma also that add to the sweet impression this beer gives.

Taste: Wow, now the spice in the flavor is almost too much to take! It is really floral and spicy with an almost medicinal dry edge to it. There is some contribution from the malt to try to challenge the spice addition, but it only takes a chunk out of the Corriander’s dominance of the profile. The finish has some sweetness, but the spice clouds any real contribution made by anything else.

Opinion: I didn’t care for this beer. It was well crafted to start with, but the spice addition was WAY too much and leaves room for nothing else. It is like taking medicine, and I imagine that in some way this is similar to drinking Nyquil to get drunk. It is OK for what it is, but I won’t be drinking this beer again any time soon.

07-01-2006 03:13:06 | More by SkeeterHawk
FreightTrain

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a dark ruby brown. Minimal head although a nice ring of lacing. Chunks of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

I give this beer a high mark for smell because it's interesting; smells like a bag of herbs. Sharp citrus peel scent combined with dark roasted malts too. Very herbal.

Taste has an herbal bitterness combined with a chocolatey maltiness. Kind of tastes like my mouth in the morning if I have an imperial stout before bed.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with certain sharp carbonation that latches to the tongue as soon as the beer gets in your mouth.

This really isn't a very drinkable beer, but I feel like it's interesting and unique enough that I'm glad I had it. It's almost medicinal; kind makes me wonder if this isn't what beer tasted like before the widespread use of non-fire roasted malts and hops.

07-11-2008 04:09:57 | More by FreightTrain
Yesac

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

A - Pours opaque bubbly caramel brown. A thin bubbly head fades away quickly. I also notice bubbles stuck to the side of the glass go away as well.

S - roasted caramel malts, scotch

T - Goes well along with the smell.. it's pretty simple tasting, not to complex. Thin bodied. Rosted malts. on the nose.. hints of caramel throughout and a big scotch finish (which I don't like).

M - thin and carbonated

D - eh.. it's drinkable due to it's mouthfeel, but the taste isn't there like the Traquair House Ale. A sipper for me.

I really enjoyed the Traquair House Ale so I picked this one up. After now having the two to compare, I'd rather have the House Ale over the Jacobite. This is just to 'scotchy' for me.

08-13-2008 21:50:12 | More by Yesac
becktone

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer appears to be a dark brownish red color. When held up to the light one can see that it is a clear dark brew. Holding it up to the light really brings out the red color in this beer. When poured no head formed on this beer. When agitated a very thin lacing around the edge of the glass forms. If this beer had a head it would definitely have a much better appearance.

This beer has an overall malty aroma to it. I don't detect any aroma of a hop presence. I can't quite put a finger on the exact smell of the brew, but it reminds me of Chimay Red. These two beers have a similar aroma.

The taste relfects the aroma. At first I tasted a bitterness as soon as the beer hit my lips. This, however, soon becomes sweeter and reflects the aroma of the beer. The smell that I can't identify is easily noticed in the taste of this beer as well. I also notice that the taste of this beer doesn't linger that long in the mouth. The taste of this beer leaves the mouth just as quickly as the beer does when swallowed. There is not much lingering aftertaste in this beer. The onlly thing that does linger is the flavor of roasted malt, which at first I didn't notice. I like the taste of this beer, but I don't think that it is really anything to brag about. I think it's definitely better than average, and I do like it. Basically I think it tastes good.

I was a little dissapointed with the mouthfeel of this beer. It goes down entirely too easy and in my opinion is too light on the palate. It feels almost like water on the palate and has little to no carbonation. This is definitely not what I would look for in a beer. I think that I'll have to say this beer tasted good but didin't live up to the other expectations I had for it. I probably won't buy it again because I don't think it is worth what I paid for it. I mean I like it but there are other brews that I like a lot more. I think that I'm perhaps just not a fan of this style.

11-20-2005 22:57:36 | More by becktone
Knapp85

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

I picked up a bottle of this at my local place that had it because I saw all the positive feedback it was getting. I opened the bottle and poured it out. The beer was quite dark and didn't really retain much head at all. The aroma was floral and roasted, an interesting combo. The taste was just not my cup of tea. I kept going back for more but I continued to struggle through this one. I really didn't find much of anything that really impressed me here. I feel bad but I suppose that the Coriander just wasn't working for me here. I finished the bottle a little disappointed.

04-15-2011 22:42:37 | More by Knapp85
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

A 330ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Dark brown beer with red highlights; small head. It had a perfumy and spicy aroma. The taste was almost all coriander that lingered forever. It became more warming as the beer warmed. A little thin in the mouth, and not altogether pleasant.

05-16-2007 21:24:54 | More by lordofthewiens
hotstuff

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew poured a very, very small head with fine bubbles that quickly dissolved. There was no lacing on the sides of my glass. It had a licorice aroma to it. There was a lot of carbonation observed with this brew. It left a fizzy feeling on my tongue and an aftertaste that lingered. I could not acquire a good taste for this brew as it most certainly had a unique taste.

06-09-2003 08:23:56 | More by hotstuff
ultralarry2006

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle. Leaves less than a one finger tan hued head that quickly fades to a foam ring at the edge, and there is no real lacing to speak of. The body is deep brown with purple highlights.

Smell - maltbread with raisins and plums, with a wet, moldy wood and dirty socks odor.

Taste - much like the smell. A weak taste of a maltbread sweetroll studded with plums and raisins, and spiced with the moldy wood and old socks, and there is also a sweet grape flavor, sort of like grape kool-aid.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, slightly semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is good, but not really great, not good enough for me to revisit often, or make sessionable.

08-07-2007 19:24:39 | More by ultralarry2006
BMoney575

Sampled on 6-3-10
Best before June 2017

Pours a very cloudy deep brown color, with almost no head and a thin ring of white lacing. Very ominous-looking.

Smell is strong malt, extremely complex, notes of peat, cinnamon, molasses, and sweet coriander right at the end. Very delicate, and well made.

Taste is very strange. Huge earthy flavors hit like a punch in the face, with a strong, herbal/vegetable edge. After the initial reaction, the flavors give way to more coriander, which dominates the finish. The aftertaste is tart bitterness and a little earthy malt.

Mouthfeel is extremely thin, and I can't figure out if this is good or bad. It's not very gratifying, but allows the odd flavors to dissipate quickly.

Drinkability is poor, the strong flavors are a chore to get used to.

Overall, not very good. But, given the drink by date, I'll get another one to put in the cellar.

06-03-2010 21:59:59 | More by BMoney575