Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

2.15/5  rDev -48.2%

A- Pours black coffee brown with a dense but minimal head.

S- SWEET! Sugary caramel and toffee. Smells like Nestle's Juicy Juice fruit punch with a caramel chaser. Not sure how I feel about it.

T- Follows the nose, but a bit more subdued (thankfully). I still taste Nestle's Juicy Juice Fruit Punch... what gives? Beer is tasty, subdued, and goes down easy. A bit unsettling, though. That flavor is dead on and creeping me out. I feel like I'm 5 and drinking out of the 64oz cans of Juicy Juice.

M- Thin, unoffensive, not terribly carbonated.

D- No thanks. This could be an unfair review, but this taste is so ingrained to me as Juicy Juice Fruit Punch that I can't get past it. A good beer, drinkable, and a stealth ABV, just not for me. I can suggest you try it, though, not bad by any means... I just don't click with it.

I haven't had Nestle Juicy Juice in 15-20 years, but this beer is a dead ringer. Didn't want to let bias in, but no choice... I will die a happy man if I never have this again.

2.33/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours a deep clear brown with red tint.

Minimal head, dissipates almost immediately, leaves little to no lacing.

Aroma is musty, fruit, sweet. Candy sugar. Pie crust.

Taste is of musty, almost rotten fruit/vegetables. And bread. Think overripe pumpkin or other random vegetables in the produce section, about to rot. Pretty weird and somewhat unpleasant.

Mouth is thick, sweet and viscous.

Overall, a pretty unpleasant beer, and one which I'm pretty sad to have paid $4.75 for a bottle for just to taste. Not one which I'll buy again on my own nickel.

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Deep, dark, syrupy, boozy, notes of spice--not only coriander, but also anise. A lot to take in. Alcohol is more noticeable than I typically care for, but it melds with the dark fruits to come off like fruit cake with prunes and raisins soaked in rum. A bit of brandy and cognac notes.

This is a great beer, but not my speed. Not enjoying this, due to the forward character of the alcohol, especially as it warms. Couldn't finish this one.

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Black body with a big white head.

S: Bourbon, caramel, toasted malts.

T: Dark fruits dominate, accompanied by some chocolate and coriander - sweet at first, then suddenly tangy, metallic and acidic - unappealing.

M: Very thin and dry - not much carbonation.

Hugely disappointed with this one - I've had a bottle of the House Ale set aside for a while and I really hope it has more to offer. On first sip this resembles a slightly muted Belgian quad, but it goes rapidly downhill from there. I battled to drink half the bottle and drain-poured the rest.

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Very dark amber/ruby color. Bright ruby highlights around the bottom and edges. A tan head with huge bubbles and not much size or retention. A tad of lacing left behind.

Smell - Picking up hints of a dark roasted malt with some burnt grain. Some dark fruit sweetness in the aroma also. Some earthy tones reminiscent of some "smoke". Kind of even smells like a Red Wine.

Taste - Some dark fruit in the taste. Similar to a prune. Some roasted malt in the taste also. Minute amounts of bitterness. Just a hint of the coriander, but not much however. A touch of alcohol and smoke in the flavor also.

Mouthfeel - Medium/full mouthfeel. Some alcohol warmth. Leaves plenty on the palate. Mostly smooth.

Drinkability - This beer is just ok for me. Nothing I will seek out really. Wasn't real easily drinkable and the combination of flavors and aromas were ok for 1 beer, but not something I want to try again or make a night of.

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%

33cl bottle (Best before June 2014, I think it's forward dated 10 years, making it about 4.5 years old) poured into my Delirium snifter, Jacobite is a dark hazy ruby with a creamy off-white head that leaves light, scattered lace. Nice darker color that I prefer in the style.

Smell is heavy lemon scented from the coriander at first, with wafts of graham cracker, rum, toffee, chocolate, but I'm really just grasping at straws, as it's difficult for me to get past the lemon.

Taste is also very heavy on the coriander. I thought that seemed rather unusual for the style when I read it on the label, but came in with an open mind. The problem is, my instincts were right, the coriander brings a bright, sweet refreshingly quality which is rather opposite what I look for in the style, which would be more of a sweet, earthy maltiness.

Mouthfeel is spicy and dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability isn't to high for me, sorry. I just really don't like beers where any spices (which I generally don't like period) are so overt, and I particularly don't like the coriander with this style. The only 'adjunct' I care for in scotch ales is a little smoke.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Purchased at Sam’s chilled and poured into a nonic. One finger off white gray-ish head developed and dissipates into little more than a film. Body is dark blackish brown almost completely opaque. Smells is strong coriander, I get a sort of berry yogurt smell which is strange, not completely unpleasing, but very different. The malt is there just masked heavily by prune juice smell. Taste is similar with that prune juice character and dark malt undertones. As this brew warms the toasted malt with tiny hints of coffee and chocolate can be spotted, but on the finish its straight prune juice again. The abv is fine and the mouth feel is decent, just slightly watery for a wee heavy, but it leaves something slightly acidic on the very back of my tongue. I really want to like this, but I just can’t get past the strange fruit. Maybe its my tongue or a bad bottle, but as it is this beer is just not for me I’ll stick to my dirty bastard.

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a deep blackish brown with ruby highlights. The aroma is exceptional as you can smell this ale when you pour it out of the bottle.
Deep dark fruity ester mingle with a citrussy coriander spiciness make for an excellent aroma, this is the first beer i have tried in which the aroma exceeds the flavor. The rich aroma led me to a letdown as the flavor was much more subdued than i expected. The coriander flavors were there though they were much less prevelent due to the intemingling of the roasted grain flavors detracting from the spice. The body of this ale is an immense letdown as a scotch wee heavy IMO should have a bit more viscosity and sweetness but this is a rather thin ale in terms of body. For being an ale with such disinction and prestige i would have thought it would taste better but maybe it just isn't my style. The scotch ales always throw me off due to the lack of hops and for some reason i have a hard time enjoying tha malt flavors unless they are balanced by a signifigant amount of hops.

Originally sampled on 30 May 2002. I am writing this review from my notes. I had heard, and read a lot of reviews on how this was a great beer. I was disappointed.
It's roughly the color of cola with a very small head. The flavors are chocolate and spice. Very different. Wasn't bad, but not as good as I'd hoped for

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Opaque black color with glowing ruby highlights when held to a lamp. Moderate 1 finger of head recedes into a ring and filming on top, with lacing speckles down the glass as I drink.

S: Spicy sour nose from the coriander. Caramel malt, butter, peat, smoke, plums, and blueberries. An interesting aroma.

T: Mostly sweet malt, molasses, butter, peat, and smoke with strong coriander spiciness. No hop taste to it, but I didn't really expect one.

M: Medium-bodied and smooth. Carbonation was so low the beer felt flat, which ruined most of the sensations and made for a lackluster drink.

D: I may have just had a bad bottle, but I wasn't really enthused about having this again after the low carbonation. The taste is interesting, but the texture really makes or breaks a brew, and in this case, the latter.

Traquair Jacobite from Traquair House Brewery Lld