Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros
ddarity

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

This bottle has a exp. date 2014.
I was not as impressed with this one nearly as much as previous years. Maybe my expectations were too high. I will try it again. I have an older one in the cooler with a 2009 exp. date that I will review later.

The ale has a very nice appearance although the carbonation level might be a little soft. Nice dark amber color. Nice clarity.

The malty aroma seems more subdued than I remember, Some floral and spice but also a hint of a vinegar note as well.

I was hoping for more of a malt bill with this scottish ale, it was a wee.. bit thin and has a bit of heat. This mouthfeel was a little thin as well.

To be honest I would have to rate this one as average.

03-23-2006 23:15:27 | More by ddarity
decimator

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

330ml bottle poured into a Goblet.
ABV 8%

A - Poured a dark brown with mahogany highlights. No head and no lacing.

S - No trouble picking up the coriander. It's accompanied with caramel and toast at first. A few whiffs later and a bit of coffee, wood, earth, sourness, and hint of anise come through.

T - Some toffee sweetness, some roastiness, light toffee, a bit of sourness, and some spiciness. As it warms up a bit of smoke and alcohol shows up.

M - Low carbonation, some creaminess, light tang, and a wet finish.

D - Interesting aroma and flavour combination. Not quite my thing but it wasn't bad.

01-21-2011 03:30:19 | More by decimator

phishbone23

01-23-2013 13:59:20 | More by phishbone23
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 4/29/2006 (bottle):

Pours a brown color body with almost no head, off-color. Has an aroma of blueberries, some spices, dark fruit, some alcohol, some hops. Taste of spices, fruits. I don't know what coriander tastes like. Very spicy taste in the back of my throat. Lots of flavor.

01-11-2009 03:58:35 | More by jujubeast6000
WDJersey

Colorado

08-02-2012 23:33:58 | More by WDJersey
Thorpe429

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Reviewed from notes. Picked up at Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits in the District.

Poured into a snifter. The color is a nice, dark copper/caramel color with a very thin off white head that does not really leave behind any lacing at all. The nose is caramel, toffee, bread, and hints of dark fruits. Some slight alcohol there as well. The taste is fairly one dimensional with a faint caramel and toffee sweetness. No really fruit presence. Perhaps a bit of nuttiness. Medium mouthfeel with fairly low carbonation and a bit of booze. Fairly plain without much going on; this was a bit of a disappointment.

10-23-2010 18:54:33 | More by Thorpe429
Yesac

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -20%

A - Pours opaque bubbly caramel brown. A thin bubbly head fades away quickly. I also notice bubbles stuck to the side of the glass go away as well.

S - roasted caramel malts, scotch

T - Goes well along with the smell.. it's pretty simple tasting, not to complex. Thin bodied. Rosted malts. on the nose.. hints of caramel throughout and a big scotch finish (which I don't like).

M - thin and carbonated

D - eh.. it's drinkable due to it's mouthfeel, but the taste isn't there like the Traquair House Ale. A sipper for me.

I really enjoyed the Traquair House Ale so I picked this one up. After now having the two to compare, I'd rather have the House Ale over the Jacobite. This is just to 'scotchy' for me.

08-13-2008 21:50:12 | More by Yesac
FreightTrain

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Pours a dark ruby brown. Minimal head although a nice ring of lacing. Chunks of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

I give this beer a high mark for smell because it's interesting; smells like a bag of herbs. Sharp citrus peel scent combined with dark roasted malts too. Very herbal.

Taste has an herbal bitterness combined with a chocolatey maltiness. Kind of tastes like my mouth in the morning if I have an imperial stout before bed.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with certain sharp carbonation that latches to the tongue as soon as the beer gets in your mouth.

This really isn't a very drinkable beer, but I feel like it's interesting and unique enough that I'm glad I had it. It's almost medicinal; kind makes me wonder if this isn't what beer tasted like before the widespread use of non-fire roasted malts and hops.

07-11-2008 04:09:57 | More by FreightTrain
SkeeterHawk

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear deep reddish brown color with a half-inch of thick tan foam. The head disappeared slowly within a minute or so to end us as a persistent film across the top of the beer.

Aroma: Floral and spicy notes dominate the aroma. It smells sweet, and my first impression was of honeysuckle. There are some rich dark caramel notes to the aroma also that add to the sweet impression this beer gives.

Taste: Wow, now the spice in the flavor is almost too much to take! It is really floral and spicy with an almost medicinal dry edge to it. There is some contribution from the malt to try to challenge the spice addition, but it only takes a chunk out of the Corriander’s dominance of the profile. The finish has some sweetness, but the spice clouds any real contribution made by anything else.

Opinion: I didn’t care for this beer. It was well crafted to start with, but the spice addition was WAY too much and leaves room for nothing else. It is like taking medicine, and I imagine that in some way this is similar to drinking Nyquil to get drunk. It is OK for what it is, but I won’t be drinking this beer again any time soon.

07-01-2006 03:13:06 | More by SkeeterHawk
becktone

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

This beer appears to be a dark brownish red color. When held up to the light one can see that it is a clear dark brew. Holding it up to the light really brings out the red color in this beer. When poured no head formed on this beer. When agitated a very thin lacing around the edge of the glass forms. If this beer had a head it would definitely have a much better appearance.

This beer has an overall malty aroma to it. I don't detect any aroma of a hop presence. I can't quite put a finger on the exact smell of the brew, but it reminds me of Chimay Red. These two beers have a similar aroma.

The taste relfects the aroma. At first I tasted a bitterness as soon as the beer hit my lips. This, however, soon becomes sweeter and reflects the aroma of the beer. The smell that I can't identify is easily noticed in the taste of this beer as well. I also notice that the taste of this beer doesn't linger that long in the mouth. The taste of this beer leaves the mouth just as quickly as the beer does when swallowed. There is not much lingering aftertaste in this beer. The onlly thing that does linger is the flavor of roasted malt, which at first I didn't notice. I like the taste of this beer, but I don't think that it is really anything to brag about. I think it's definitely better than average, and I do like it. Basically I think it tastes good.

I was a little dissapointed with the mouthfeel of this beer. It goes down entirely too easy and in my opinion is too light on the palate. It feels almost like water on the palate and has little to no carbonation. This is definitely not what I would look for in a beer. I think that I'll have to say this beer tasted good but didin't live up to the other expectations I had for it. I probably won't buy it again because I don't think it is worth what I paid for it. I mean I like it but there are other brews that I like a lot more. I think that I'm perhaps just not a fan of this style.

11-20-2005 22:57:36 | More by becktone
Knapp85

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

I picked up a bottle of this at my local place that had it because I saw all the positive feedback it was getting. I opened the bottle and poured it out. The beer was quite dark and didn't really retain much head at all. The aroma was floral and roasted, an interesting combo. The taste was just not my cup of tea. I kept going back for more but I continued to struggle through this one. I really didn't find much of anything that really impressed me here. I feel bad but I suppose that the Coriander just wasn't working for me here. I finished the bottle a little disappointed.

04-15-2011 22:42:37 | More by Knapp85
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

A 330ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Dark brown beer with red highlights; small head. It had a perfumy and spicy aroma. The taste was almost all coriander that lingered forever. It became more warming as the beer warmed. A little thin in the mouth, and not altogether pleasant.

05-16-2007 21:24:54 | More by lordofthewiens
hotstuff

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

This brew poured a very, very small head with fine bubbles that quickly dissolved. There was no lacing on the sides of my glass. It had a licorice aroma to it. There was a lot of carbonation observed with this brew. It left a fizzy feeling on my tongue and an aftertaste that lingered. I could not acquire a good taste for this brew as it most certainly had a unique taste.

06-09-2003 08:23:56 | More by hotstuff
BMoney575

Sampled on 6-3-10
Best before June 2017

Pours a very cloudy deep brown color, with almost no head and a thin ring of white lacing. Very ominous-looking.

Smell is strong malt, extremely complex, notes of peat, cinnamon, molasses, and sweet coriander right at the end. Very delicate, and well made.

Taste is very strange. Huge earthy flavors hit like a punch in the face, with a strong, herbal/vegetable edge. After the initial reaction, the flavors give way to more coriander, which dominates the finish. The aftertaste is tart bitterness and a little earthy malt.

Mouthfeel is extremely thin, and I can't figure out if this is good or bad. It's not very gratifying, but allows the odd flavors to dissipate quickly.

Drinkability is poor, the strong flavors are a chore to get used to.

Overall, not very good. But, given the drink by date, I'll get another one to put in the cellar.

06-03-2010 21:59:59 | More by BMoney575
ultralarry2006

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle. Leaves less than a one finger tan hued head that quickly fades to a foam ring at the edge, and there is no real lacing to speak of. The body is deep brown with purple highlights.

Smell - maltbread with raisins and plums, with a wet, moldy wood and dirty socks odor.

Taste - much like the smell. A weak taste of a maltbread sweetroll studded with plums and raisins, and spiced with the moldy wood and old socks, and there is also a sweet grape flavor, sort of like grape kool-aid.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, slightly semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is good, but not really great, not good enough for me to revisit often, or make sessionable.

08-07-2007 19:24:39 | More by ultralarry2006
mjc410

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured into a Belgian tulip.

A vigorous pour yields a fast-falling one finger head, large bubbled. It forms a nice glass ring. The body is a wonderful near-opaque black, with ruby highlights only when potently backlit. Nose is dominated b a sweet orange smell, which is surely the coriander. Also helped out by a generous portion of sweet malt. Still, somewhat one-dimensional. Taste is again of coriander, with buttery malt coming in behind. Sweet the whole way through. Body is medioum-light. Smooth, with mild carb. Overall, not quite what I expected - I wanted more rich maltiness, but I got sweet and spicy. I prefer the regualr Traquair to this, but it is nice.

08-05-2006 22:22:11 | More by mjc410
thequeen711

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Supposedly this beer has been rated one of the top 25 beers in the World...I beg to differ. The pour from the 11.2 z bottle was clean, barely a fizz. Nice caramel nose, extremely light mouthfeel, but just the right amount of coriander to mix with the rest of the brew. I found it light bodied, and very drinkable. The beer poured brownish, with red highlights when held up to the light.
A better than average beer, but not top 25 material.

08-06-2009 00:18:08 | More by thequeen711
Beaver13

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

11.2 oz bottle, best before 6/2017. Pours a murky brown with a smallish white head that quickly dissipates to a thin collar.

The aroma is sweet malts, molasses, floral spices and dark fruits and chocolate and a little smoke.

The flavor is sweet malts, cola, dark figgy fruits and chocolate with a slight bitter spicey finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and very watery.

Overall, an interesting and complex beer. It really needs to warm up some to shine.

08-27-2010 02:32:16 | More by Beaver13
beveritt

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Presentation: Poured from an 11.2 oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label is all black, with writing and decoration in white. Depicts a seated man, flanked by two thistle and the dates 1745-1995. States that the ale is flavored with coriander and it is best before June 2017. Funny concept, that if I keep this for 9 years, it will be good, but 9 years and a month = crap.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of big-bubbled tan head. This settles very quickly to almost nothing, just a small island of thin foam. The beer itself is a medium brown and nearly opaque in the center. A very small amount of sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Dark fruity-smelling malt, like plums and blackberries.

Taste: Dark and chocolaty, with just a hint or the orange coriander in the finish. Would I have noticed it if it wasn't so loudly proclaimed on the label? Probably not.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is very good.

Drinkability: Well, the head retention is terrible, and therefore the appearance suffer some. However, the beer had a nice, full flavor that was easy to enjoy and lingered long after drinking.

12-30-2008 00:19:39 | More by beveritt
ballewblake

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from bottle in to my Hoegaarden Grand Cru tulip.

Dark black stout with a purple tint. No head but a small off white ring around the perimeter of the glass. Mild carbonation bubbles flowing up. Smell has a very slight hint of brett, other than that dry. Taste is pretty mild with dry finish, some spices in there, coriander is mentioned on the bottle, I can almost get that. Very slight hints of black licorice and grape juice on inspection. Mild but noticeable carbonated on the tongue; alcohol is hidden well in taste. Interesting scotch ale, not what I was expecting.

10-11-2008 00:35:53 | More by ballewblake