Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros
adamette

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a bottle identical to the one pictured above into a clean, clear Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale glass. Found it in stock on sale for $4.99 in single 11.2 oz bottles at Heinen's in Willouhby HIlls, OH

A Excellent appearance of a deep ruby red with a nice light brown (those two shades look really cool next to each other by the way) head made up of very small bubbles. Really great apperance. Observed after initially finishing this review was some sediment...a wee bit... in the bottom of my glass.

S Malty, certainly smell the coriander. I understand this to be a "wee heavy" but I do not smell strong alcohol. It smells like it is going to be a strong, hearty beer though. The coriander is interesting.

T A really great, full, malty ale with that coriander but it is not obnoxiously there, just a side spice. It is sweet but very well rounded. As I type and take drinks from time to time I am sensing that the aftertaste is that great malt with more prominent coriander.

M As mentioned above, this is a full beer but it also has a wonderful smoothness to it. Not in the sense of a sticky molasses type smooth but a smoothness brought on by malty goodness. So not a silky, syrupy smoothness but a really great malt ale smoothness.

D Maybe the best for an 8.0 ABV beer. I cannot taste the alcohol. I could have 4 or 5 of these without hesitation. Of course, at the price listed that would cost me $20-25. That would be money well spent!

Notes: Really happy that I picked this one up. I think that everyone should give it a go.

10-11-2008 02:55:47 | More by adamette
ballewblake

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from bottle in to my Hoegaarden Grand Cru tulip.

Dark black stout with a purple tint. No head but a small off white ring around the perimeter of the glass. Mild carbonation bubbles flowing up. Smell has a very slight hint of brett, other than that dry. Taste is pretty mild with dry finish, some spices in there, coriander is mentioned on the bottle, I can almost get that. Very slight hints of black licorice and grape juice on inspection. Mild but noticeable carbonated on the tongue; alcohol is hidden well in taste. Interesting scotch ale, not what I was expecting.

10-11-2008 00:35:53 | More by ballewblake
MusicaleMike

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle of Traquair Jacobite into a snifter. The "best before" date is June 2017.

A: The first thing I noticed about the beer is how loud the head was. That tan head very loudly crackles away to nothing, leaving not a trace on top of the dark brown body. However, when that beer is held up against a strong light, we can see that the body's color is more accurately described as a deep, deep red with slight orange hues throughout.

S: Here is where this beer shines brightest. The aroma is powerful and rich smelling. It is filled with notes of rich fruits and coriander. I can pick out odors of fig, raisin, over-ripened bananas and apricot, not to mention coriander and other subtle nuances in the nose. For the boldness and the complexity, I am giving this beer a 5. I could sit and smell this beer all day long.

M: I was not digging the flavor when I started drinking this. I guess I was surprised by how little character there was for such a phenomenal smell. As the beer goes from the mouth to the throat, it loses much of its flavor and complexity. I have to also comment that I got an initial impression of hot dog water. I believe the only other time that I had that thought was with Victory's Whirlwind Wit. I guess that is the coriander?? The alcohol is a major factor in the taste, bringing out some of the rich fruits notes.

M: Full bodied with a warmth that is attributable to the high ABV.

D: Not really drinkable! I just thought that it was okay, and an okay beer with a high alcohol content is going to lose when it comes to drinkability. I would have given it a 2, but I remembered that a typically hate Scotch ales, and so I gave it a 2.5 for any bias that I may have.

10-10-2008 09:25:12 | More by MusicaleMike
Jmamay22

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This ale pours a dark brown that approaches black. Sports a tan colored head that settles to a thick creamy collar.

The coriander spicing is strong, but does not overwhelm the other subtle scents. Beneath the spice there is a rich roasted caramel malt base that is absolutely inviting.

The sweet molasses, peat, and caramel comes through again in the taste with a brief smokey hint. The finish is slightly bitter and dry with coriander and some black licorice/anise flavors.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and the carbonation is very light. I would have enjoyed a fuller feel to sink my teeth into. Alcohol content is dangerously absent. Great beer that pairs well with lamb stew.

09-26-2008 22:15:05 | More by Jmamay22
Walken

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Traiquair House: Jacobite, Wee Heavy (Tasted 04/16/08) (Best Before 2011)
11.2 oz. Bottle: Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours out dark amber, almost opaque, with a one small off-white head that fades into a ring.
Odor: Rich candied currants or figs, molasses, hefty spices (coriander?). Minuscule whiffs of alcohol with some chocolate in the background.
Consistency: Deceivingly full medium body. Very smooth and velvety on the tongue, slightly chewy. Honestly, I was expecting the body on this to be humongous.
Taste: Dry roasted grain and chocolate flavors roll in first, some fruity esters flash in and out. Hop flavor is very subtle, earthy, sweet & herbal, tea-like. Finishes with dry baker's chocolate and earthy hops on the palate.

09-11-2008 16:40:40 | More by Walken
Yesac

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -20%

A - Pours opaque bubbly caramel brown. A thin bubbly head fades away quickly. I also notice bubbles stuck to the side of the glass go away as well.

S - roasted caramel malts, scotch

T - Goes well along with the smell.. it's pretty simple tasting, not to complex. Thin bodied. Rosted malts. on the nose.. hints of caramel throughout and a big scotch finish (which I don't like).

M - thin and carbonated

D - eh.. it's drinkable due to it's mouthfeel, but the taste isn't there like the Traquair House Ale. A sipper for me.

I really enjoyed the Traquair House Ale so I picked this one up. After now having the two to compare, I'd rather have the House Ale over the Jacobite. This is just to 'scotchy' for me.

08-13-2008 21:50:12 | More by Yesac
avalon07

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev -5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a murky, mudlike brown color and a thick consistency. Not a whole lot of head, but some good lacing.

S: Lots of malt, some spices and sweets in the aroma.

T: Deep malt taste, along with coriander, caramel, and some other sweets. Tasty, in a heavy sort of way.

M: Middle of road carbonation level, with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable beer if you're into wee heavies. It's thick and gives you a warm feeling right away, but it's never oppressive.

08-13-2008 13:18:09 | More by avalon07
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

Appearance: Pours a dark, chestnut brown body that picks up some reddish hints when held up to the light. Also, a thin, ivory-colored head!

Smell: Dark malt aroma yields a scent of caramel and brown sugar alongside notes of plums and oven-toasted coriander seeds, which, being a popular gin ingredient rightly has me thinking of gin.

Taste: Dark maltiness with tastes of dark brown sugar, maple syrup, and nuts. Pleasing, though never overwhelming sweetness. Faint dark fruitiness. Earthy, herbal coriander spice flavor, along with a mild bitterness and warming genever presence does a good job of tempering the malty sweetness. Leaves you with a lingering taste of pumpernickel bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-low carbonation. Slight stickiness to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A fine spiced ale. Plenty of complexity as well as overall restraint and balance to deliver an interesting, tasty brew.

08-10-2008 01:00:42 | More by ChainGangGuy
koolk

Australia

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Mahogany brown in colour that pours with a good persistent off white head.

Oh man, superb aroma - sweet herbal coriander and a slightly white winey aroma leap out of the glass - really great smelling stuff. Spice aromas of fennel and mint waft in and out - love it.

Bittersweet malty palate that has a great bite to balance out the sweetness. More coriander but also some stronger dark fruit flavours and even a touch of stone fruit and perhaps a bit of butter (or "butter menthols" more accurately). Complex and enjoyable.

Creamy texture, first-class balance and whole lot of drinkability. 8% is carried perfectly.

More please! Top notch.

08-05-2008 11:48:38 | More by koolk
tai4ji2x

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

"best by" of june 2014

dark brown w red tint. decent head but soon fades to just a thin ring. lacing tends not to stick.

dark fruit and spice. herbal, almost minty. whiffs of molasses and dark caramel.

whisky and rum tones to the malt sweetness. herbal and grassy. moderate bitterness. trace of alcohol and phenols into the finish as well.

pretty smooth, with enlivening carbonation.

07-18-2008 23:03:10 | More by tai4ji2x
FreightTrain

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Pours a dark ruby brown. Minimal head although a nice ring of lacing. Chunks of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

I give this beer a high mark for smell because it's interesting; smells like a bag of herbs. Sharp citrus peel scent combined with dark roasted malts too. Very herbal.

Taste has an herbal bitterness combined with a chocolatey maltiness. Kind of tastes like my mouth in the morning if I have an imperial stout before bed.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with certain sharp carbonation that latches to the tongue as soon as the beer gets in your mouth.

This really isn't a very drinkable beer, but I feel like it's interesting and unique enough that I'm glad I had it. It's almost medicinal; kind makes me wonder if this isn't what beer tasted like before the widespread use of non-fire roasted malts and hops.

07-11-2008 04:09:57 | More by FreightTrain
brendan13

Australia

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Poured a dark brown with a centimetre of light tan head that falls away quite quickly.
S - Initially herbal spice mixed with dark fruit. Some sweet toffee malt notes also come through as the ale warms, a touch of peat is also in there.
T - Toffee and dark fruit notes are more at the forefront in the taste with the herbal spice notes taking a back seat.
M - Medium bodied, fairly low carbonation.
D - A nice beer, well worth trying but not something I'd purchase on a regular basis.

07-09-2008 09:10:53 | More by brendan13
paulthebeerguru

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Traquair Jacobite
12oz. brown bottle

A: snifter. Pours an deep obsidian-brown color with a slightly off-white head. Low head retention level and very light lacing.

S: tons of coriander in the nose, more than any beer I have smelled. Sweet, rich sticky malts, with some really strong sweet citrus tones.

T: tastes just like it smells. Tons of coriander are all over this, with some sweet, roasted malts with a lot of sweet citrus flavors. Very interesting palate.

M: very mellow compared to the color. Light to medium body. Lower carbonation than expected.

D: very drinkable if you like coriander. The taste threw me off after looking at a dark, thick looking beer. Makes me think that this is what beers in the 15th century tasted like. Well worth a try and glad that mhewes traded with me for it.

07-06-2008 04:02:09 | More by paulthebeerguru
Gmann

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a deep brown color with a dense tan head that dissipated into a light ring. The aroma is of corriander, which drowned out the other aromas. If you like the smell of corriander then this is up your alley. The taste is a unique mixture of corriander and chocolate malt. It starts off with a corriander hit then transitions nicely into a milk chocolate. There are some notes of vanilla and prunes as well. The feel is moderate to well bodied, with soft carbonation leading to a nice silky texture. The brew finishes a tad bitter from the malt with a touch of booziness. This is a very fine brew, nice flavors and very smooth. The corriander and the rich malt work very well together and is an interesting mix. Recommended.

07-06-2008 02:35:44 | More by Gmann
Proteus93

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I had the opportunity to taste a little 2 ounce serving of this some time back, and recall enjoying it a great deal. Surprisingly, it has taken a couple months to pick up a bottle for review.

A: A burnt auburn shade, topped with a subtle little puff of head that doesn't last particularly long, waning to a little trim of lacing and a soft sheet.

S: The coriander makes itself at home, and an intriguing scent of anise comes through - the two compliment each other quite nicely. Hints of coffee, and a pleasant maltiness. Very nice.

T: Malts, light coffee flavours and, of course, spices. I don't get the flavour of anise that I may have expected from the aroma, but it can be detected in a way. Molasses, and a very subtle toffee like taste.

M + D: Quite an expressive, rich body. Not too heavy, and rather smooth and easy drinking. The ABV is sure to catch up quickly, but otherwise, absolutely fabulous. Recommended drinking, this.

06-24-2008 02:50:43 | More by Proteus93
gabemasiulis

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A) Dark brown with a thin tan head, and a little lacing. Slightly Opaque.
S) Sweet and malty with a hint of chocolate, and some spices
T) Spiced, with a strong alcohol taste (the coriander is a good addition here), followed by a peat smoked background and a lingering wet maltiness.
M) Thin, but wet, lingers nicely though
D) Not my favorite wee-heavy, but the coriander is a nice thought, I used this in a very successful marinade, though

06-02-2008 16:32:46 | More by gabemasiulis
aforbes10

Iowa

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

pours a deep dark crimson with a thin sprinkling of head. short legs. smells sweet and malty....chocolate, toffee...an inviting aroma. Peaty and sweet malt flavor. coriander spice is nice and sits on top of the sweet malt. alcohol evident and slightly dry. some hop bitterness. medium to full bodied. smooth, but the little coriander gives it a punch too. i would call this more of an old ale with some interesting spices. tasty.

06-02-2008 12:14:58 | More by aforbes10
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Dark, dark cloudy red/brown. Head is unspectacular.

S - Aroma is very interesting though. Appley and fruity, but very lively fresh aromas. Pungent freshness I assume is the coriander.

T - Very very buttery, with a heavy dose of nuts to boot. Sweet, fresh apple cider and coriander. Some molasses and dark maltiness as well, but the way the coriander uplifts the sweet, heavy tones is really spectacular. Edit: Also, lots of apricots.

M - Somewhat chewy and heavy. Carbonation is very light.

D - Interesting balance between heavy body and malts and the lightness of the aroma and herb flavour. Dunno if I would drink a lot of this, but it's certainly interesting, and in a good way.

06-01-2008 02:10:53 | More by allergictomacros
RomanW70

Rhode Island

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Pours dark caramel with a reddish tinge. Minimal heads that fades quickly to a ring. Aroma of cherries, chocolate and caramel. Sweet malts present right up front, folloiwing throuch a whiskey taste to a finish of cherries and warming alcohol with slight bitterness. Very tasty ale.

05-31-2008 23:03:47 | More by RomanW70
beerphilosopher

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a very dark, semi-opaque brown color with few highlights showing through in the light. The head is somewhat thin and light brown in color. This beer gives little away in it's appearance and the opacity of the beer hides any active carbonation save for the meager head atop the murky brew.

The nose is a marvel. Rich and sweet, as a Scotch ale ought to smell, but the addition of copious amounts of coriander take this beer in an entirely different direction than almost any other beer I can think of at the moment, regardless of style. I can detect sweet molasses notes and maybe a touch of whiskey - Scotch whiskey, not bourbon, as there is almost a hint of peat here as well. Then there is the incredible coriander aromas dominating the nose from start to finish. A hypnotic beer to smell.

The palate is almost as amazing as the nose. Almost. The coriander hits you right up front, almost like an aggressively hopped beer might. This one isn't aggressively hopped, of course, and maintains a consistency with the wee heavy style for the most part. I just can't shake the overwhelming impact of the coriander here though. Not that it is too strong, but rather it is simply pervasive. Without the unique flavors the coriander imparts, this might be a basic, run of the mill wee heavy in most respects - just kind of malty and blah. With the coriander, however ... wow. I wouldn't go so far as to call this beer complex, but it is certainly very unique in my experience. I taste very little of the 8% ABV in the mouth. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a much lower gravity beer.

This ale is substantially thinner in body than I expected it to be ... it even looks much heavier than it actually is. A warm ale, but nothing akin to the "warming burn" you might get from some Scotch ales. The thin body betrays the respectable ABV and causes you to think you're drinking a much lighter, smaller beer. Both wee and heavy, it appears. The finish is light, dry and slightly sour/acidic. The coriander won't let you forget it is there and lingers long in the mouth. Never harsh, this beer is slick and surprisingly clean in the finish.

This is an incredible beer, in my opinion. Truly unlike any scotch ale/wee heavy I've sampled. I believe this beer is worth the price for the nose alone ... I found myself sniffing it with startling frequency all the way until the glass was empty. Like any aromatic ale, the aromas blossomed as the beer warmed to ambient temperature. A little thicker, fuller mouth feel would be my only critique of this beer and this isn't something I'd be wont to fight over. Mark my words, I will buy more of this beer. If you see it about, you should too. Excellent!

05-30-2008 01:46:46 | More by beerphilosopher
csmiley

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Pours a dark and dirty brown with hints of mahogany coming through on the sides. Head was thick and topped out at just over half inch. Retention was good. The resulting lace was average.

S - Starts out sweet and malty. Mostly caramel and molasses. The sweeter aromas fade into some dark bread, sweet spice and raisin. There is some alcohol present towards the end but it remains mild.

T - Spice becomes more apparent in the flavor. Sweeter flavors of caramel and molasses stay in the forefront though. Alcohol also is just a tad more noticeable in the flavor but it stays in balance with other flavors. Fruitiness shows up around midway through with the flavor profile being finished up by a taste of yeast / bread.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. Finish is sweet but does not stick around for long.

D - Drinkability is good. It has a very pleasing flavor that just works with my palate. The balance is very nice and the spiciness adds some complexity that makes it even better. This would have to be a highly recommended brew.

05-13-2008 02:39:14 | More by csmiley
meatmallet

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a dark brow almost porter color with little head or lacing to speak of. The smell is great with coriander, dark fruits, roasted malts, and licorice. I also detect a hint of molasses. The taste is lighter on the coriander than I was expecting. Licorice cherry and roasted malt are the more dominant flavors. Carbonation is very light and has a slick finish. This is a very drinkable beer.

05-09-2008 04:40:33 | More by meatmallet
nmyers

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A- nice dark brown almost black color with a very thin white head on it, almost no retention.

S- the aroma of roasted malt with a touch of plum.

T- Nice roated malt taste with a sweet finish.

M- full bodied beer with a bitter but pleasant finish.

D- It goes do well and has a nice smooth finish.

04-27-2008 05:15:44 | More by nmyers
DIM

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

a: This was a deep dark ruby red color. It poured with a medium sized light tan head that quickly faded to lace.

s: Earthy, peaty malts that are gently sweet leap out of the glass. There are some dark fruits as well, plums perhaps. Perfumed hops, spices that are beyond my vocabulary, and a bit of alcohol round things out.

t: This is a fantastic combination of complexity and subtlety. The taste mirrors the smell for the most part. The malts are peaty, smokey, and just barely sweet. There are also some drying spices that I cannot identify and some subtle flowery hops. The alcohol is very well hidden. This is not a big, confrontational beer. It is difficult to decipher and fun to ponder.

m: This was gently carbonated, which suited this one very well. The body was average for the style.

d: I'll probably never spend the money for one of these ever again. $7 is a bit too steep for regular consumption. This is absolutely worth trying once though.

04-15-2008 11:58:11 | More by DIM
abedenbaugh

South Carolina

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A:It has a hazy dark brown appearance with red dominating the color. The head was off white and had a fine carbonation.
S:The sweet and roasty aroma come right at you when you first smell it. There is a little bit of coriander that comes in after the first wave of smell. The coriander gives it a very earthy smell.
T:The taste almost mirrors the smell, but it is a little sweeter on the palate than the smell lets on. A big sweetness hits the tonge right away when it enters your mouth. The end of the palate there is roasted malt and coriander.
MF:A medium mouthfeel with medium to low carbonation. The beer feels very silky and smooth in the mouth.
D:It's a great beer to drink. It is balanced to the sweet side, but still very easy to drink a few. I really like how the coriander adds a earthy feel to the beer and I thought it was a nice surprise because I've never heard of a coriander in scotch ales before.

04-12-2008 00:01:52 | More by abedenbaugh